• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
h1tcbDw.gif

dk74BTH.png

Release Date: January 26, 2018
Developer: Capcom
Publisher: Capcom
Platforms: PS4, XB1 (PC Autumn 2018)
Price: $59.99

Overview
Battle gigantic monsters in epic locales.

As a hunter, you'll take on quests to hunt monsters in a variety of habitats.
Take down these monsters and receive materials that you can use to create stronger weapons and armor in order to hunt even more dangerous monsters.

In Monster Hunter: World, the latest installment in the series, you can enjoy the ultimate hunting experience, using everything at your disposal to hunt monsters in a new world teeming with surprises and excitement.

Setting
Once every decade, elder dragons trek across the sea to travel to the land known as the New World in a migration referred to as the Elder Crossing.

To get to the bottom of this mysterious phenomenon, the Guild has formed the Research Commission, dispatching them in large fleets to the New World.

As the Commission sends its Fifth Fleet in pursuit of the colossal elder dragon known as Zorah Magdaros, one hunter is about to embark on a journey grander than anything they could have ever imagined.

Trailers

5xrY28k.png

Metacritic: 91 | OpenCritic: 91

Telegraph: 5/5
Any issues melt away as you leap whooping from your seat, punching the air after you slay a giant beast while on your last sliver of health. In Monster Hunter: World, those heart-pounding epiphanies happen with thrilling regularity.

USGamer: 5/5
Monster Hunter has been in need of a big change for years, and this reboot-of-sorts could have easily gone wrong. Instead, Capcom took a careful look at Monster Hunter's design and cut all the fat while leaving the series trademark dense gameplay completely intact. All the changes, from the broad, sweeping ones to the granular alterations, only serve to improve an already winning formula. The next generation of Monster Hunter has finally begun, and, with Monster Hunter World, it's off to an incredibly good start.

IGN: 9.5/10
Whether or not it's the best, this is certainly the most audacious Monster Hunter game. World takes a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new, simultaneously staying true to the series' ideals by maintaining the addictive loop of combat, intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love. The sheer depth and commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isn't Capcom's aim to court a casual crowd. This is as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.

Game Informer: 9.5/10
Intense battles, rewarding progression loops, and excellent multiplayer experiences make this the best Monster Hunter game to date.

EGM: 9/10
Monster Hunter: World has found a way to lower its barrier of entry for newcomers while still delivering an immersive experience that long-time fans of the series crave. The combat has a bit of a learning curve, and multiplayer could use a few tweaks, but no matter your experience level with the series, this will be time well spent for all hunters ready to pick up a sword, bowgun, or gunlance.

Destructoid: 9/10
If you've been skipping out on Monster Hunter games for a while because they seem to blend together, jumping into World is your chance to get in. Just know that Capcom hasn't really shaken up the formula enough to piss off veterans or appeal to people who don't welcome grinding with open arms.

GamePro: 89/100
The series has never been so beautiful and accessible. Nevertheless, Monster Hunter World remains a challenging action game for grind-happy hunters.

GameSpot: 8/10
Monster Hunter World successfully proves that it's both about size and how you use it.

c8dkUb6.png

EPdjhA4.png

A vast forest that supports a complex ecosystem.
A network of trees stretch high into the sky, creating the ancient tree that looms tall over the rest of the forest.

KUygRU5.png

A massive strip of parched land conjoined with a swampland that takes in water from the Ancient Forest.
Ant colonies have built massive spires within the desert, while varied vegetation has sprung up along many watering holes.
This locale is now home to creatures that take advantage of the two unique, coexisting ecosystems.

cicXvlZ.png

A mysterious ecological highland that mimics the ebb and flow of the ocean itself.
Eggs from the corals ride upon the rising currents and spread to the rest of the New World, where they become a part of the natural food chain.

qT428RL.png

A deep valley that rests beneath the Coral Highlands.
Monster corpses fall to the Vale from above, creating a layer of decomposing remains that seems to serve an important ecological role.
Also unique to the Vale is the bacteria known as the effluvium, which devours organic matter.

tLVkPCS.png

The Research Commission's base of operations, where hunters, researchers, and technicians have all gathered.

The Smithy
A workshop designed to answer all equipment-related needs, the Smithy may be the most vital of facilities for any hunter.
At the Smithy, hunters can not only forge new weapons and armor, but make upgrades and even revert certain upgrades.
Armor obtained here also provides crucial bonus skills which come in two types, "equipment skills" and "set bonus skills."
Each skill has different requirements for activation.

The Canteen
The Canteen provides hunters with the nourishment they need before departing on a hunt.
Eating a meal at the Canteen can bestow any number of useful powerups.
You can also order an Oven Roast from the Handler.
Items used for an Oven Roast will be made into food, though depending on the item there may also be a few unexpected results!

The Gathering Hub
The Gathering Hub is a tavern that also serves as an online gathering place for up to 16 hunters at a time.
You can go on quests, have a meal, or even enjoy a friendly round of arm-wrestling.

wFCZoOD.png

Scout Flies
Monster tracks, such as footprints and gashes, dot each locale.
Your Scoutflies will remember the scent of a monster and guide you to other nearby tracks.
And as you gather more tracks, the Scoutflies will give you even more information.

Slinger
The Slinger is an indispensable tool for a hunter, allowing you to arm yourself with stones and nuts that can be gathered from each locale.
From diversion tactics to creating shortcuts, the Slinger has a variety of uses, and allows you to hunt in new and interesting ways.

Specialized Tools
Specialized tools activate powerful effects for a limited amount of time, and up to two can be equipped at a time.
Simple to use, they can be selected and activated just like any other item you take out on a hunt.

Palicoes
Palicoes are hunters' reliable comrades out in the field, specialized in a variety of offensive, defensive, and restorative support abilities.
The hunter's Palico joins the Fifth Fleet with pride, as much a bona fide member of the Commission as any other hunter.

Click the banner above to join the MonHun ERA Discord Server!

P2Yf5YS.png

Game Manual

Official Website
Official Twitter
Official YouTube

Kiranico MHDB

GaijinHunter YouTube
Arekkz Gaming YouTube

Monster Hunter World: The Beginners' Hangout

9KlPZly.png

Q: What's up with the 20 minute time limit?
A: That was for the beta only - the full game has 50 minute time limits and an expedition mode where you can explore without a time limit.

Q: Does this game really use codes for multiplayer?
A: Once again, that was for the beta only - you can easily join your friends via the usual methods in the full game.

Just wanted to offer a few quick setup tips for the Options menu that may improve your overall enjoyment for this and when the full came is upon us in one week, 2 hours and 38 minutes! This is all IMO of course, but definitely stuff to consider.

Important

Controls tab -> Radial Menu Settings -> Change to Type 2
Item Control Settings ->
Change to Type 2

This was a huge one for me; you use the radial menu by holding L1 and pointing the right stick to select items MUCH faster than in previous games, but the default setting has you select by letting go of the stick, which feels weird and made me choose items accidentally a bunch. Type 2 means clicking R3 to select when the item you want is highlighted. Then, the default to switch between your four radial menus was the D-pad while holding L1 which was similarly awkward. Type 2 makes it L1 + face buttons to switch, which again is just nicer on the hands and becomes very natural over time.

Once you are familiar with the radial menu and the items you get access to in the beta, you can also pick Customize Radial Menu from Game Settings tab to tailor what you have quick access to.

Less Important

Camera tab -> Camera Style -> Target Camera
Target Settings -> Large Monsters only

The default setting has tapping L1 lock on and automatically follow any monster in your crosshairs which doesn't feel particularly natural to me. This setup will reorient your camera to center on boss monsters only when tapping it, without locking on. In all honesty however, I essentially never use this at all. 95% of the time I manually control the camera with the stick.

Camera tab -> Second page -> Camera distance -> Far

This just moves the camera back a bit from your character, improving your FoV, which can at times save your life.

Personal Preference Type Stuff

Game Settings tab -> Head Armor display and Damage Indicators (popup numbers) can be toggled off if you like

Controls tab -> Dash Settings -> R1 Only
Controls tab -> Sheathe Settings -> Manual Sheathe

Removing sprint on L3 can prevent accidental sheaths while moving. And by default, the game will automatically sheath your weapon after a while if you haven't attacked rather than only doing so when you manually sheath with R1. I don't like this so I switch it to Manual.

Camera tab -> Camera speed can be tweaked to 5 levels, if you tend to mess with sensitivity settings you may want to check this out.

Display tab -> Screen vibration can be toggled off, I know some people loathe this.

uvsqdbi.png

fU1uRVs.png

iAgcwch.png

Last edited:

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Heyo! This game is my most played game this gen. I hope we get info on an expansion soon.

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Heyo! This game is my most played game this gen. I hope we get info on an expansion soon.

This game is my most played game of all time lol.

Can't believe I passed 550 hours mark, and I thought World would have hard time surpassing Generations (400 hours) and 4U (350 hours) playtime because it's no longer on handheld system and have less content. Was expecting like 100-150 hours before I dropped the game honestly.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

The cynic in me says that they've held off on any whispers of a G-Rank expansion for fear that it would scare PC buyers off. ("I've waited this long, I'll just wait until the G-Rank they're talking about drops.")

So, maybe we'll hear some news as soon as it doesn't seem completely craven for them to bring it up.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hit high rank recently and have only tried Switch Axe and Charge Blade (mostly used charge blade). I switched to Insect Glaive to mess around with because I heard good things from Gaijin Hunter on the 8-4 Play podcast. Holy shit, it's like a different game.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
This is also my most played game this generation. I'm still playing this even after most of my friends have dropped off.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I hit high rank recently and have only tried Switch Axe and Charge Blade (mostly used charge blade). I switched to Insect Glaive to mess around with because I heard good things from Gaijin Hunter on the 8-4 Play podcast. Holy shit, it's like a different game.

Just remember to always have at least Red/White buff all the time, and not spamming aerial attack the entire hunt.

A lot and I mean A LOT of IG players I met online spend the entire hunt spamming the helicopter attack (literally never did any ground combo, or even spread Kinsect dust). Honestly it was really annoying, because not only the aerial moveset of IG is really weak, only the final hit of the helicopter attack deals mounting damage (resulting in only like 1 or 2 mount per hunt...).

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Happy OT3 y'all. I've only bothered running AT Teo twice, I should probably get the rest of the tickets I need but I'm sorely lacking in motivation to even boot up MH lol. This is a pretty stacked month for indie releases for me

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember to always have at least Red/White buff all the time, and not spamming aerial attack the entire hunt.

A lot and I mean A LOT of IG players I met online spend the entire hunt spamming the helicopter attack (literally never did any ground combo, or even spread Kinsect dust). Honestly it was really annoying, because not only the aerial moveset of IG is really weak, only the final hit of the helicopter attack deals mounting damage (resulting in only like 1 or 2 mount per hunt...).
Thanks, I just just watched the Gaijin video on IG too. Can't wait to use it more.

I really want to start playing with other people instead of randoms. Is there a certain HR that I should hit first before trying to link up with Era members?

Bitsurugi

Nov 2, 2017
Happy OT3 y'all. I've only bothered running AT Teo twice, I should probably get the rest of the tickets I need but I'm sorely lacking in motivation to even boot up MH lol. This is a pretty stacked month for indie releases for me

Can help you with that. Add me on PSN: Bitsurugi ; keep in mind, i am on EU timezone. Bored until Kulve comes, so will gladly help anyone.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017

What is helicopter attack?

Btw obtaining red and white buff is hard. Especially the red one since you need a certain kind of precise that you should not miss

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
for the new folk some weaps work better on uneven terrain. so experiment

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got a paralysis deco. I have a LS Taroth paralysis and free element gear to unlock it at max, is it worth to also slap that deco, or the change is not noticeable?

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Is there any reason we should have numerous characters outside of being able to see the male and female armor sets?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any reason we should have numerous characters outside of being able to see the male and female armor sets?

I don't even know why there's different slots in a game that push you to play with a single character so much but yeah, it's not worth it, other than double farming.

There should be some kind of common box when dunno, reach HR 50 or something...

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me I still haven't really got into augmenting apart from my GS and a couple of armour pieces when I first unlocked it, completely forgot all about that. XD

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
I usually farm Tempered Jho for the weapon streamstones....but i still need tons of Axe streamstones!

Dude, I've been farming AT Teo and he's dropping the stones like crazy. Since he went live I got shit load of stones. I have like 17 warriors and 10 hero sotes for axes alone, not to mention the rest of the weapons lol

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I swear the game/desire sensor limits you on the streamstones of the weapon class you are using. Have mained LS the whole game (approaching 500 hours) and was only able to augment 3 swords. The rest of the classes? About a dozen warrior streamstones and about 6 or so hero streamstones for each!

Edit: Come to think of it, I have seen quite a few stones from AT Teo (haven't paid close attention since they weren't the "sword" stones)... should try some farming runs over the next week.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played this game much since I burnt out back around April. Any performance or HDR improvements on Xbox One X since then?

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I'm trying to get back into this game after not playing for a while. Can someone please explain the best ways to fight the dlc monsters. I did find the behemoth because they shove the quest down your throat. but Devil Jho, Lunestra, and kulve Taroth. is the only way to fight them by hoping to randomly find their tracks on expeditions? If so I wont bother that's the main reason I stopped playing.
Devil Jho: you need to find him during an expedition to start his quest line, check the monsters in each map(from the minu), he appears as ???? or something similar.
Kulve: tracks appear in Ancient forest area 1, big golden pieces, hard to miss, only need to check them once. But she's not available right now, should be in next week.

Don't remember how you start Luna's quest, but don't remember spending time looking for tracks in the game since the start of tempered monsters, so if it's by looking up her tracks, they will always be in the same place and you'd only need to find them once.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Just installed EVO 860 in my PS4 Pro and man, what a fucking difference in loading times, it's not even funny.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Do the Zorah and Xeno missions stop popping up until you've beaten the Behemoth special assignment?

Because I can't remember the last time I saw them appear for me now that I've got the FF music in the hub.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Is there any minimum defense stat recommemdation to beat Behemoth? Mine is about 400, and it seems it is not strong enough

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
oh ot3 is up
new kulve weapons this friday!

Are there gonna be new weapons added to his pool? I must have missed the news.

On a different note, I have spent some time replaying Generations, 4U and 3U and to be honest with you guys, it was really hard to go back to them after playing world. I have crazy amount of hours in each of them and yet it's really not that easy to go back, at least not anymore. It made me think if I really want to play Generations Ultimate now.

Last edited:

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yeah new weapons are confirmed, we just don't know if it's the same as the korean leaks

also, a new behemoth quest! extreme behemoth (extreme is the term in ff14 where the fight is harder, basically the heroic/mythic system)

at kushala in september

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Are there gonna be new weapons added to his pool? I must have missed the news.

On a different note, I have spent some time replaying Generations, 4U and 3U and to be honest with you guys, it was really hard to go back to them after playing world. I have crazy amount of hours in each of them and yet it's really not that easy to go back, at least not anymore. It made me think if I really want to play Generations Ultimate now.

I feel the same way as well. Been playing since MHF2.. Not sure if i can go back to MHGU.

I recall using small bombs before potting to reduce the after-drinking animation. Lol

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
Is it just me or the new bowguns kind of suck? I want that SnS tho =) The nice thing about the new weapons is that they have white sharpness out of the box so sure I'll take also hammer and great sword :D

edit.

Well Heavy Bow Gun is ok I guess. It has nice damage, slot and 10% affinity, Pierce 3, Sticky 3 and Normal 3 so you can make a build around it. I don't speak Korean so I have no idea how big the recoil is cause that might be real deal breaker.

Last edited:

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Well Heavy Bow Gun is ok I guess. It has nice damage, slot and 10% affinity, Pierce 3, Sticky 3 and Normal 3 so you can make a build around it. I don't speak Korean so I have no idea how big the recoil is cause that might be real deal breaker.
Didn't care for the HBG before, thought it was a clone of the Taroth Assault Blast, and it IS, statwise. But, it looks like it can run Elementless and put out more damage than the Support with Pierce if the ammo loadout is any indication. Yeah, recoil is going to be the catch. If Sticky 3 and Pierce 3 have both the same recoil level, I imagine they're both going to be highish.

H3rTz DoNuT

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if you guys have noticed this but I would say Behemoth looks very much like Zinogre, at least skeleton wise. I mean it wouldn't really make sense to make a skeleton for only one monster that isn't even a part of Monster Hunter franchise. Now if the skeleton is the same or very similar (and I'm sure it is) to Zinogre, Capcom can use it to bring Zinogre to Monster Hunter World and all his sub species in the future. It might be just my imagination but I think it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. It's a monster that a lot of people would like to see, to many fans (including me) is as Iconic as Rathian/Rathalos to this series. I don't think Capcom is that stupid to waste so many resources on one monster, I think Behemoth was chosen for a very specific reason for that collaboration and that reason was similarity to Zinogre.

latest
Behemoth_Promo.png

Last edited:

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
It also reminds of Rajang....the Super Saiyan!

Zinogre is one of my favorite monsters in Monster Hunter series. I miss monsters like Zinogre,Tigrex, Nargacuga, Brachydios and Gore Magala. Hope they'll make an appearance later!

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
it was really hard to go back to them after playing world.
I remember having to go back from MHFU to MHF2 because I wanted to play with a person that didn't have Unite. It was already noticeable how it is hard to go back to some annoyances that have been fixed. And that was for a mere G expansion.
I'm not sure if you guys have noticed this but I would say Behemoth looks very much like Zinogre, at least skeleton wise. I mean it wouldn't really make sense to make a skeleton for only one monster that isn't even a part of Monster Hunter franchise. Now if the skeleton is the same or very similar (and I'm sure it is) to Zinogre, Capcom can use it to bring Zinogre to Monster Hunter World and all his sub species in the future. It might be just my imagination but I think it makes a lot of sense if you think about it. It's a monster that a lot of people would like to see, to many fans (including me) is as Iconic as Rathian/Rathalos to this series. I don't think Capcom is that stupid to waste so many resources on one monster, I think Behemoth was chosen for a very specific reason for that collaboration and that reason was similarity to Zinogre.
Yes, I noticed that and I came to the same conclusions as the ones you listed. Completely agree.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Can anyone help me understand reading elemental damage on a weapon? If a bow has for hypothetical example 150 damage and 100 water damage, what does this mean for damage?

I half assume that the 100 is how much of the 150 attack is water? There might be a tutorial I missed somewhere to explain this but I couldn't find an answer gooogling this.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone help me understand reading elemental damage on a weapon? If a bow has for hypothetical example 150 damage and 100 water damage, what does this mean for damage?

I half assume that the 100 is how much of the 150 attack is water? There might be a tutorial I missed somewhere to explain this but I couldn't find an answer gooogling this.

Here is a good explanation on the elemental attacks