• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
You do way more damage with LunaXeno LBG while using elemental ammo, enough to stun lock him by targeting his chest while in rage mode which makes the fight so much easier. I already used affinity augment on my LBG but I can see health augment being a huge help in this fight.
You can totally stunlock it with Pierce 3 as well. Pierce 3 on the chest in rage mode does STUPID damage.

I think most everything that hits the chest in rage mode can stunlock it.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
Having heat guard from that one charm really makes a huge difference with AT Xeno. I thought I was being 'alternative' by not insisting on it but it's almost dumb not to. Guard boost also comes in handy.

I bet max earplugs/tremor resist would be great. I tend to play support so I have most slots filled already and play with randoms. Won 4 out 8ish tonight.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Haha...tell me about it. I mostly gear for defense when fighting AT mobs. For this AT Xeno, I use: -

Guard Up
Health Boost 3
Tremor Resist 3
Heat Guard

(CB user)

I usually clear AT Xeno solo at about 20 mins. I just hate it when it flies. I just have to wait for it land. At least there's an opening for SAED when he lands.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone gone back and fought regular Xeno 'Jiiva ? I swear they changed some of it's attack patterns. I thought the game was glitching at a point where Xeno just flew higher and higher and anything fired from the slinger didn't seem to reach before slamming itself down to the ground..

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone gone back and fought regular Xeno 'Jiiva ? I swear they changed some of it's attack patterns. I thought the game was glitching at a point where Xeno just flew higher and higher and anything fired from the slinger didn't seem to reach before slamming itself down to the ground..
I've seen Xeno glitch like that.

I distinctly remember AT Xeno flying too high and doing his claw swipe move and having it do nothing because it couldn't hit the ground.

Seyob

Oct 30, 2017
I was wondering... I main SnS and would consider myself decent with it. I manage to beat AT xeno but it always comes down to the last minute(s)! With Master's touch, Vitality mantle and Cheese mantle I don't have much down time and rarely faint.
I run Master's Touch, Health boost 3, crit boost 3, WE 3, Attack boost 4, Tremor resist 3, Heat guard, Max might 1 (typical drachen set with Zora y chest) and use Luna SnS (or Luna styx).
I focus on hitting the forelegs, tail and hindlegs when they're a weak spot. Is there something i'm missing to speed up the hunt meaningfully?

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I focus on hitting the forelegs, tail and hindlegs when they're a weak spot. Is there something i'm missing to speed up the hunt meaningfully?

Is there a way for you to arial and hit the chest when he's powered up/glowing? That's the biggest weak spot causing the most dmg alongside very long downs (I think it's 700 dmg on the chest to down him in that state).

Seyob

Oct 30, 2017
Is there a way for you to arial and hit the chest when he's powered up/glowing? That's the biggest weak spot causing the most dmg alongside very long downs (I think it's 700 dmg on the chest to down him in that state).
I'll try to find a way to dunk it somehow. In the meantime I changed to a set with handicraft 2 and Fatal Bite to add some free elemental damage. This increases damage output by roughly 9% (excluding blast procs) and improved my time by a few minutes. Still nothing worth writing home about ;(

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So is anyone rich enough in decos they can build the "even dumber than before" cluster bomb build with the new Xeno Gamma armor? One needs 3 Challenger decos and all 7 Attack decos.

Attack Lvl 7
Agitator Lvl 5
Peak Performance Lvl 3
Ammo Up
Spare Shot
(and spare skills that don't actually matter for clusters)

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Max damage...and still have slots leftover. Amazing. Which reminds me, I still need to finish my AT Xeno farming before I can use the build above.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been running the new maxed out Spread 3 build.

Now that you can run Spare Shot with the Glutton and still get 100% affinity, Crit Boost 3, Attack 6, NEB, Ammo Up, and Spread/Power. It's insane.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I can't tell if Xeno initially felt like the best arch tempered monster because it can be so sweaty with all the potential one shots and different enough feeling new moves, or if it's simply because by their own limited end game design, we haven't fought him a disgusting amount of times like the other elders that it actually felt fresh.

After 4 kills I'm realizing it's probably more the latter.

Also, why anyone does him online is beyond me.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I finally made it to High Rank! Upgraded my dual blades to Jyura Hatchets. I wanted to see if I could farm a Tobi for some parts but I'm not sure if I'm just impatient or really suck at a higher difficulty lol.

Now I need to see if I can find a Wyvern Gem to get the Barroth Gloves then I'll continue with the story.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I can't tell if Xeno initially felt like the best arch tempered monster because it can be so sweaty with all the potential one shots and different enough feeling new moves, or if it's simply because by their own limited end game design, we haven't fought him a disgusting amount of times like the other elders that it actually felt fresh.

After 4 kills I'm realizing it's probably more the latter.

Also, why anyone does him online is beyond me.
This is the unfortunate part of solo vs multi scaling. Solo play is always faster and easier. I really hope they go back on this decision next iteration.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
This is the unfortunate part of solo vs multi scaling. Solo play is always faster and easier. I really hope they go back on this decision next iteration.

I actually needed to go online to beat her. I was rocking a low dmg SnS build with poison as the focus. Big mistake. I would run out of time solo and poison didn't seem to do the trick even though she is weak to it. I had clearmind charm but no tremor res.

I figure the only want to do it is with high affinity for my weapon choice. I need to start playing some form of ranged weapon.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that DB and SnS are the hardest weapons to solo AT Xeno with.

All of the other weapons can just stunlock it by attacking the chest enough, whereas I don't see either of those easily reaching it when Xeno is standing.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much online even though I've put well over 500 hours into the game, but in my experience it's usually the opposite, multi has always been easier and usually quicker for the most part.
Like with Tempered Jho, the AT monsters such as Kirin and Lunastra I was having a difficult time beating them solo, or at least taking a lot of time, but when I went online it was a little more relaxed as in the monster isn't focusing on me all the time so I can basically get in free attacks, the other Hunters knew what they were doing most of the time such as using sleep tactics and traps and usually the fight is over pretty quickly, at least compared to when I try to solo these monsters. If I'm having a difficult time and wanting to give up when playing solo I usually just say fuck it, I'll just go online and beat it that way.

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
Finally! after almost a dozen tries I was able to defeat Arch Tempered Xeno'Jiva with the help of a great random team. I didn't even carted this time!

I still think this is a great fight and the best of the arch tempereds so far.

Ds2_QmwWkAIjiur.jpg

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Yea, it's a really good fight, never saw that coming when the vanilla version is one of the worst fights in the game. But it also makes me want G-Rank even more. :(

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I need help before I start this game in a few weeks with two friends - all of us basically newcomers to the franchise.

I narrowed it down to Lance and Gunlance but I'm in an eternal conflict which I'd like more / is better.

I'd definitely play a "normal" GL since I absolutely love that shot-gun blast attack. It also seems to have more variety of attacks. On the other hand, I hate being dependent on CDs or have to run out of a timer - and after watching a comparison video - you'd have to sharpen quite often with the GL, whereas the Lance is just solid DPS madness. I don't care for the "ultimate" block move the Lance has, but the ability to cancel into the counter thrust, seems like you can attack without downtime and counter all attacks if you time it right. The added mobility of the charge seems also great, plus the jump forward launch attack seems better with the Lance. Tho, the upward thrust attack seems kinda boring vs the more halberd-playstyle of the GL.

I simply can't decide. Can you swap weapons easily or are you locked down a path in MH:W? Ideally, I'd try both to get a feel for them. Also, what are your experience with them? Which do you like more? Which has better DPS overall?

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
So with this much radio silence is anyone still expecting a G-rank expansion or do you think they'll just go to MHW2?

I need help before I start this game in a few weeks with two friends - all of us basically newcomers to the franchise.

I narrowed it down to Lance and Gunlance but I'm in an eternal conflict which I'd like more / is better.

I'd definitely play a "normal" GL since I absolutely love that shot-gun blast attack. It also seems to have more variety of attacks. On the other hand, I hate being dependent on CDs or have to run out of a timer - and after watching a comparison video - you'd have to sharpen quite often with the GL, whereas the Lance is just solid DPS madness. I don't care for the "ultimate" block move the Lance has, but the ability to cancel into the counter thrust, seems like you can attack without downtime and counter all attacks if you time it right. The added mobility of the charge seems also great, plus the jump forward launch attack seems better with the Lance. Tho, the upward thrust attack seems kinda boring vs the more halberd-playstyle of the GL.

I simply can't decide. Can you swap weapons easily or are you locked down a path in MH:W? Ideally, I'd try both to get a feel for them. Also, what are your experience with them? Which do you like more? Which has better DPS overall?

You're not locked in to weapons at all. As long as you have the parts to craft stuff you can freely make and switch between any and all weapons. Once you get further into the game and get some better skill builds you can pretty easily mitigate the need for constant sharpening on gunlance too.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Not only are you not locked into a weapon type, the game straight up gives you a starting weapon of each type for you to keep.

One thing I will say about GL is that a lot of its damage comes from very specific skills that can be hard to get without really limiting your armor options. It's not a problem if you don't care about maximum DPS or whatever, and the weapon is still perfectly fine without them, but it's just something to keep in mind.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
So with this much radio silence is anyone still expecting a G-rank expansion or do you think they'll just go to MHW2?

A full sequel has to be years away. This game was an enormous 5 year endeavor for Capcom. I have no doubt they reshuffled their developement teams to make sure a interim expansion can proceed on schedule alongside the full sequel. I just don't see how they leave this huge user base hanging until 2020.

Then there is the inevitable handheld game too.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wait... Kulve isn't part of the winter fest? That seems fairly stupid. ☹️

On the plus side, the new hammer is at least worth a chuckle. And layered Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle? Nice!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know we we getting Layered Wiggler and Sealed Eyepatch. That's super cool.

Wiggler is a bit much for me, so I'll stick with my Mosswine Mask.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Could we get an expansion announcement at TGA?

Part of me wonders if MHW got nominated as "GOTY" just so that it could be able to make that kind of announcement. Still, Even if we don't get a "G-Rank" or a "Seperate Island" that contains a bunch of veteran monsters, I'm just glad the series is getting the recognition it deserves.

But an announcement would be nice.

Also last night, I finally found me a team that took down the Extreme Behemoth. I was so happy that I felt like I went into tears at how smoothly the hunt went since I had people who knew what they were doing. Now I will be turning my focus towards cleaning up the rest of the monsters and making the weapons out of them. Black Diablos, Deviljho, the flying B-52 Bomber and all the elders (minus the golden goat).

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
How to the hell do we get back into this game? I have no idea what I was doing before God of War came out >_<

Is the squad still active here or did most you guys switch to the PC version? I'd rather not start over but it wouldn't be the worse thing. I'd rather play with Era if possible instead of pugs.

Any easy way to catch up on all that I missed?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
How to the hell do we get back into this game? I have no idea what I was doing before God of War came out >_<

Is the squad still active here or did most you guys switch to the PC version? I'd rather not start over but it wouldn't be the worse thing. I'd rather play with Era if possible instead of pugs.

Any easy way to catch up on all that I missed?

Well, if you have a jailbroken PS4, you can now apparently migrate your save to PC.

Edit: here's the mod in question
https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/553

Last edited:

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
I bought this during Black Friday sales, currently have just gotten to the Coral Highlands... was wondering if there is a reasonable way for me to get 7 Monster Bone+ to make the Orion armour set before the winter event ends or not?

Last edited:

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So was there ever a definite drop rate for AT monsters? Looking for the fastest way to farm warped stones and can't seem to find reliable info for AT % drops. I know tempered level 2 monsters give the best % normally, but anecdotally it always seemed like I'd get 1 or 2 juicy red stones* every time I fought an AT. Wondering what the best farming method is since everything is up for the Winter Fest.

*Juicy until I appraised and then got nothing of value of course! 🤪

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
So was there ever a definite drop rate for AT monsters? Looking for the fastest way to farm warped stones and can't seem to find reliable info for AT % drops. I know tempered level 2 monsters give the best % normally, but anecdotally it always seemed like I'd get 1 or 2 juicy red stones* every time I fought an AT. Wondering what the best farming method is since everything is up for the Winter Fest.

I can only speak anecdotally but the two tempered Deviljho quest was handing out a bunch for me. That quest is pretty difficult though. It was either that one or AT Xeno.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

In terms of farming, I'd assume that tier 2s are still better even if the drop rates are lower just because you can go through them so much faster. I can kill a tempered Rath in a minute and a half.

But I don't know how quickly you can kill ATs.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
In terms of farming, I'd assume that tier 2s are still better even if the drop rates are lower just because you can go through them so much faster. I can kill a tempered Rath in a minute and a half.

But I don't know how quickly you can kill ATs.

I can do AT Kirin in about 5ish with the shotgun. Thus the drop rate question since I agree that the temp tier 2s can be faster.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
It took me 3 days but I finally took down my first AT, AT Teostra. So many carts due to teammates not having stun resist. Now I look sweet in this Dante armor though.

Now I just have to try and get these damn Behemoth Shearclaws.