• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT

I was going to suggest just use the cat to "plunder" from it but I can't remember if you can get any of them claws as it's been a while since I did that trick.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
You gotta break his hands to get the shearclaws which take forever, but fortunately I was able to get the final pieces last night (although I still wasn't able to kill Behemoth).

I finished the Drachen set but I don't think I can use anymore than the legs and the hands in my current set up. I'm a GS main but i have no Handicraft/Focus/MaxMight jewels and only one Tenderizer Jewel so I'm still missing out on alot of abilities by trying the popular setup of 4pc Drachen + head or waist piece of choice. These particular jewels seem very hard to farm so far.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
You gotta break his hands to get the shearclaws which take forever, but fortunately I was able to get the final pieces last night (although I still wasn't able to kill Behemoth).

I finished the Drachen set but I don't think I can use anymore than the legs and the hands in my current set up. I'm a GS main but i have no Handicraft/Focus/MaxMight jewels and only one Tenderizer Jewel so I'm still missing out on alot of abilities by trying the popular setup of 4pc Drachen + head or waist piece of choice. These particular jewels seem very hard to farm so far.
Do you have any tips to easily farm the drachen set? I tried the behemoth (extreme) fight for the first time tonight and I was so lost. But even if I learn the ropes like I did with AT Val Hazak, I'm sure it's still gonna be difficult with randoms :/

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
What?!?!? No announcement during The Game Awards, but an announcement "in a few days"?!?!? That's pretty bs. Why would you miss that opportunity Capcom?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Do you have any tips to easily farm the drachen set? I tried the behemoth (extreme) fight for the first time tonight and I was so lost. But even if I learn the ropes like I did with AT Val Hazak, I'm sure it's still gonna be difficult with randoms :/

It took me a good while, but it only took 2 runs of breaking his arms to get all the claws I needed, just had to get lucky with a good group.

Everything else I plunderbladed and I had some spare horns and tails from failed runs.

Oct 25, 2017
i returned to mhw after some time and lunastra is a really hard fight and at lunastra is currently impossible for me, is there any tip that might help me(i play insect glaive btw), like an essential skill to help me protect myself from its flames, because i can't get too close unless i'm wearing a mantle. The fire spin on the ground it does insta kill me.

i really have no idea how to proceed

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
6dbSMLJ.gif

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
i returned to mhw after some time and lunastra is a really hard fight and at lunastra is currently impossible for me, is there any tip that might help me(i play insect glaive btw), like an essential skill to help me protect myself from its flames, because i can't get too close unless i'm wearing a mantle. The fire spin on the ground it does insta kill me.

I didn't do it myself, but if I had to fight her again I'd probably try and go for some form of wind resistance. The big problem with AT Lunastra's nova is the added wind pressure she causes that stops you from super man diving through the nova attack. As soon as she gets ready for the attack you super man dive, and you continue immediately super man diving until the attack is finished. Without the wind pressure troubling you I don't think you can be interrupted doing that.
Other than that, you can try and trigger the super nova while you're out of range. Whenever you flash Lunastra and she is charged, she will usually do the super nova immediately. That way you can try and make her cast the nova when it's most convenient for you. I just found that normally she'd just charge again right away, so it wasn't always super helpful.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Still stuck on the 2 bazels quest like 7 months later lol, no matter what i do i wipe, if i sos everyone else wipes. Never known anything like it playing games.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Bazel is easy, he is scary at the beginning but once you see all his moves then really he's just a slow moving big monster that is easy to dodge.

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
I have been playing the game because I got maybe like a month ago, and I'm playing the campaing, do I miss any monster by only playing the campaing?

Caja 117

Oct 25, 2017
A few yes but if you like the game enough to finish the campaign,there is a lot more to do after and you will eventually easily see them all.
Yeah, I'm kind liking the game more, this has to do that at the beginning I wasn't sure what I was doing, Im around the part where I finished Hunting Diablos and I'm more comfortable with the game mechanics now, there still bunch of things here and there that still confused me, but overall it's getting better. I started with long sword then switch to Charge Blade (Probrably 95%of my gameplay its been with that weapon) and I might consider do again long sword just to switch things a little bit.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

A member here mentioned a few pages back the Astra Jerky will help if you get caught in the super nova blast, it's certainly gotten me out of trouble. Also getting that HP to 200 !!

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

I'm in the same position as you and the AT monsters were kind of like a wake up call for me. The normal charge blade and dual blade builds I use just didn't cut it out for AT Luna so I looked online and the best thing I found was to stack as much fire resistance as possible. Three fire resistance decorations are a must for me, and you can look through armor pieces with fire defense to see what fits.

The build I landed on uses Damascus beta chest and waist, dante's legs, Teo's beta gloves and wiggler's helmet which has 0 fire resistance but I really like playing with wide-range in AT hunts. It helps carry the team through the tough parts and it could be my luck, but most randoms I see take it too. Feels like I should do my part as well :P

I also use vitality and recovery up decorations. You won't be doing the highest damage, but I managed to survive without carting to the end of the fight and most of the potions I popped were to help my team more than anything.

I really regret not playing when Kulve Taroth was available though. The armor looks sick and I see it used in several builds. I hope people still do it when they bring it back.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't do it myself, but if I had to fight her again I'd probably try and go for some form of wind resistance. The big problem with AT Lunastra's nova is the added wind pressure she causes that stops you from super man diving through the nova attack. As soon as she gets ready for the attack you super man dive, and you continue immediately super man diving until the attack is finished. Without the wind pressure troubling you I don't think you can be interrupted doing that.
Other than that, you can try and trigger the super nova while you're out of range. Whenever you flash Lunastra and she is charged, she will usually do the super nova immediately. That way you can try and make her cast the nova when it's most convenient for you. I just found that normally she'd just charge again right away, so it wasn't always super helpful.
A member here mentioned a few pages back the Astra Jerky will help if you get caught in the super nova blast, it's certainly gotten me out of trouble. Also getting that HP to 200 !!

other than the wind pressure resistance i was already trying the other stuff, i'm starting to think i'm just bad at the game. anyway, thanks for the responses, i will be sure to try protecting myself against wind.

I'm in the same position as you and the AT monsters were kind of like a wake up call for me. The normal charge blade and dual blade builds I use just didn't cut it out for AT Luna so I looked online and the best thing I found was to stack as much fire resistance as possible. Three fire resistance decorations are a must for me, and you can look through armor pieces with fire defense to see what fits.

The build I landed on uses Damascus beta chest and waist, dante's legs, Teo's beta gloves and wiggler's helmet which has 0 fire resistance but I really like playing with wide-range in AT hunts. It helps carry the team through the tough parts and it could be my luck, but most randoms I see take it too. Feels like I should do my part as well :P

I also use vitality and recovery up decorations. You won't be doing the highest damage, but I managed to survive without carting to the end of the fight and most of the potions I popped were to help my team more than anything.

I really regret not playing when Kulve Taroth was available though. The armor looks sick and I see it used in several builds. I hope people still do it when they bring it back.

focus on defense is another strategy i didn't try

this is the build i was trying kill it with, i think i can get rid of dragon boost and try some defensive skills like recovery up and wind resistance like you guys suggested.

i gotta step up my game

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
other than the wind pressure resistance i was already trying the other stuff, i'm starting to think i'm just bad at the game. anyway, thanks for the responses, i will be sure to try protecting myself against wind.

focus on defense is another strategy i didn't try

this is the build i was trying kill it with, i think i can get rid of dragon boost and try some defensive skills like recovery up and wind resistance like you guys suggested.

i gotta step up my game
If your problem is the constant damage you get by just being next to her, you have two options. The Clearmind Charm protects you from heat. If you cannot craft the charm, the other option is the Barnos Jacket beta that is cheap to augment (just a streamstone shard and a dragonbone relic) and can be upgraded until a defense of 86. Just Heat Guard and a single level 1 slot is a bit poor skillwise, though.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
There are other threads on Iceborne expansion, but the other content additions in the annoucement:
AT Kulve, new "Fury" state with difft moves, new class of weapons ("rainbow"), regular Kulve disappears after AT release but all previous rewards still available. 12/19 to 1/3
One year anniversary celebration as a fest.
Witcher 3 collaboration- new voice recordings with original VAs
AT Nerg in summer, last major content update till expansion

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Gosh....I missed this thread after the forums update! Thanks to SunhiLegend for the amazing gifs once again. You always deliver!

Excited for AT Kulve, AT Nergi and Witcher crossover events! I hope 2B will make an appearance as well! She's well-versed with all forms of weapons!

Can't wait for the expansion. I've been hunting all AT religiously since each and every AT event began. Since I double dipped on the console and PC for the main game, I'd probably do the same for the expansion as well. I also all caught up to the AT events on the PC. I just hope I can get good randoms for Behemoth and Extremoth hunts.

Still stuck on the 2 bazels quest like 7 months later lol, no matter what i do i wipe, if i sos everyone else wipes. Never known anything like it playing games.

Can you handle Bazel solo? if yes, then you will need to engage a Bazel solo first. If another Bazel comes along, let them fight each other. You can run out of the area, or run around in a manner that will make hurt each other. If you're having problem when they fight each other, use Dash Juice + shield. It lets you block all the explosions and what not.

When you handle Bazel solo, try to cut the tail first...that tail drops a lot of bombs.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Quick question, what's a good weapon to farm the behemoth solo? Some people are suggesting the Styx LBG but I don't have the mats to craft it right now, and looking for an alternative.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm back from a 7 months long break, gonna mop up some event quests and would like to tackle Behemoth soon. But I heard he is really hard. Do I have any advantages coming from FFXIV (I mean mechanic/tell wise)?

Also, how hard are the AT monsters in casual pug online play?

codemnk

Oct 30, 2017
I'm back from a 7 months long break, gonna mop up some event quests and would like to tackle Behemoth soon. But I heard he is really hard. Do I have any advantages coming from FFXIV (I mean mechanic/tell wise)?

Also, how hard are the AT monsters in casual pug online play?
Can't really answer the first one as I never played FFXIV, but as for the second question: It very much depends on the monster. You should be fine for AT Kushala Daora and AT Zorah Magdaros, where you can finish the quest rather regularly. It's going to be much more difficult for AT Lunastra and AT Xeno'jiiva. AT Lunastra I never successfully fought with a pug, AT Xeno'jiiva I think once. AT Kirin and AT Teostra fall somewhere in the middle. I managed them in pug play, but it might take a couple of tries. But I guess experiences will vary for all of them. In general with AT monsters, you're most likely going to be better off fighting them on your own.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Been playing this pretty regularly since I got it at a slow and leisurely pace (hunted Diablos for the 1st time today)... and for the most part have been really enjoying it.

My biggest complaint is probably the amount of grind and material needed to craft weapons... I really would like to try my hand at all the weapon types and their different trees but due to how the crafting works I feel very much restricted to a single weapon (Bow in my case) which is a shame.

Would have loved it if once you crafted a weapon at a certain level for for example the Bow then all other craftable weapons up to that level in the other categories became available for a fraction of the material. Think that would make me far more likely to experiment, change up my weapon choice and try different approaches.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
250 hours in and I think I have the optimal GS build (just missing one Expert Jewel but I basically crit every weakspot anyways).

However, I'm trying new weapons (SA, CB, LS) and none of them are giving me the satisfaction that I get from landing a TCS on a monster's face. Anyone want to sell me on their non-GS weapon?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing it today with the free trial! This game is cool but definitely confusing for someone who never played anything in the series before.
The amount of items, collectibles and slingshot things they throw at you constantly with minimal explanations just means that I'll remember none and not make use of it.

Also, I guess it's just because I'm at the beginning - but how do you progress your character? Is it all about just crafting better gear and upgrading it with spheres or later on the game provides you with equipment drops from big boss monsters? No skill trees, new attacks, level ups or anything?
The smithy just shows me like 7 different sets of equip that I can craft and that's it, and there's literally 2 weapons I can craft for my charge blade.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You got it. There is no progressing your character with a skill tree or new attacks. All of the upgrades are gear and weapon based. Upgrading armor and weapons requires you to collect the materials from either gathering, mining, or killing/capturing the monsters.

As you progress and gather new materials from monsters, new weapons will appear at the smithy for you to craft/upgrade to. Once you collect a part from say Barroth, you will see the Barroth gear at the smithy.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Started playing it today with the free trial! This game is cool but definitely confusing for someone who never played anything in the series before.
The amount of items, collectibles and slingshot things they throw at you constantly with minimal explanations just means that I'll remember none and not make use of it.

Also, I guess it's just because I'm at the beginning - but how do you progress your character? Is it all about just crafting better gear and upgrading it with spheres or later on the game provides you with equipment drops from big boss monsters? No skill trees, new attacks, level ups or anything?
The smithy just shows me like 7 different sets of equip that I can craft and that's it, and there's literally 2 weapons I can craft for my charge blade.
New weapon and armor trees will open up as you defeat more new monsters. Also if you're wondering why you're stuck with the same Hunting Rank for longer periods of time, it's progress is set via story missions (but your real HR, as in how much you really played, is counted in the background and applied once you've beaten all the main assignments. So expect a BIG jump after you beat the "main story").

Way back at the game's launch someone posted 2 really nice picture compilations with monster immunities, weaknesses and such. Anyone remember them and can link them here?
Edit: Bless nillapuddin for the hard work, monster weakness guide and monster categories here: https://imgur.com/a/cZnEJ

Last edited:

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
So I just got around to finishing the game had it since launch and need some help picking a good armor set, I have my eyes on the Rath Soul / Vaal hazak / nergigante what do you guys think?.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I like having 3 pieces of Vaal Hazak because passive healing is stress-free and the damage loss compared to other sets is compensated a little bit by peak performance being on most of the time.
Combined with 2 pieces of Lunastra it gives you an extended stamina bar which can be useful depending on your weapon of choice.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely the CB. Landing the CB's SAED is just as satisfying as landing the GS TCB.

I was going to but the SAED is the only real thing I like about CB and the set up for it takes a bit too long for me. Plus it doesn't help that the best CB is not very pretty to me (Tyrannis II).

So I just got around to finishing the game had it since launch and need some help picking a good armor set, I have my eyes on the Rath Soul / Vaal hazak / nergigante what do you guys think?.

Totally dependent on your weapon. I ended the main game with Dragonking Eyepatch/Damascus Coil/Kaiser Vambraces/Nerg Waist/Nerg Legs which is pretty standard for GS. You can swap Damascus for Dober for melee builds that don't need focus.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to but the SAED is the only real thing I like about CB and the set up for it takes a bit too long for me. Plus it doesn't help that the best CB is not very pretty to me (Tyrannis II).

I'd say the best is Taroth Horn. At least that's better looking than Tyrannis II. You might already have it if you've been farming Kulve Taroth. It's an R7 weapon.

The best thing about CB is the versatility. As a CB user, Guard Point is essential. Landing a Guard Point into SAED is an amazing feeling.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
When you get experienced with CB, the setup for SAED is very short—significantly shorter than TCS, I think, and much more interesting/engaging.

That said, SAED-centric gameplay is so dominant on CB that I really like trying alternate builds that actually use Axe mode. Running Affinity CB with Empress Alma Ruin is extremely fun after 200 hunts of SAEDing.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hadn't played in a while, but I wanted to go back into it. The last time I logged in was when Behemoth was added, and it kicked my ass.

I tried to take on Lunastra in the arena also to get similarly shredded. The post-game stuff is incredibly difficult and I'm not sure what I need to do in order to take more hits and do more damage.

My highest gear is from the Taroth event, golden Shovel Knight over here. The only thing I can think of is the decorations, of which I mostly have lvl 1s. I forgot what was needed in order to upgrade them.

Please give me some advice on what needs upgrading.

Last edited:

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
To take on Lunastra easily, you'll need: -

1. Fireproof Mantle
2. Eat for Elemental Resist (L)
3. Heat Guard skill (only available from Clearmind Charm)
4. Cool drink
5. Health Boost 3

You'll walk through the blue patches of fire unscathed and have a higher pool of health. You can also force trigger Lunastra's Super Nova by tossing a flash bomb at it when she's fully charged (lotsa sparkly things around her). Run out of her AoE and sharpen / heal up / etc. The second blast comes about 8 seconds after the first blast.

A lot of post game stuff requires specific builds to make the fight manageable. Likewise for Behemoth, I have specific set of armor for it. I have a different set for Extremoth as well. Usually, I gear for survival in these fights.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bah, looks like the challenges stop giving out winter tickets today, ah well, I have 6 of them. Daily Logins still seem to give tickets until the 17th, so 2 more logins and I should have 8. Enough for the layered set and the Palico armour, those that really matter.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Finally was able to solo AT Luna. Fuck that tail swipe. Just fuck it.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm never going to beat Behemoth. Every time I go with a party there's at least one or two people that get constantly wiped out.

I just want the damn hub music to switch out of the FF theme already.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Keep going at it. Don't give up! This is exactly how I felt when fighting Extremoth. I had to try almost 100x to finally get a random party can managed to defeat it. Used up all my meal vouchers.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep going at it. Don't give up! This is exactly how I felt when fighting Extremoth. I had to try almost 100x to finally get a random party can managed to defeat it. Used up all my meal vouchers.

Thankfully I finally was in a competent party and we managed to take him down.

But can someone please tell me what in the shit am I supposed to do to keep dying in one hit against Rank 9 monsters? Am I supposed to be wearing the highest possible DEF gear I can, or gear with the highest resistance to whatever the monster is? If it's a dragon that shoots fire, should I be wearing Dragon resistant armor or fire resistant?

I've tried both and nothing seems to work.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
You'll need to max out defense AND armor augments. If survivability is an issue, use Health Boost 3. That thing kept me alive in so many AT hunts. If elemental damage is an issue, eat veggies for max elemental resist.

Any specific mob you're referring to?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'll need to max out defense AND armor augments. If survivability is an issue, use Health Boost 3. That thing kept me alive in so many AT hunts. If elemental damage is an issue, eat veggies for max elemental resist.

Any specific mob you're referring to?

I've lost count over how many of the big boys have busted my ass, but tonight it was the fart dragon as part of the events that I missed from inactivity (The Deathly Quiet Curtain).

How the crap do I even get the lvl 2/3 decorations? The majority I have are level 1s.

Also what do you mean by maxing out defense and augments? If you're talking about maxing out armor through the blacksmith I always do that.

On the subject of food, I always just pick the Chef's choice option. I have no idea how to customize dishes to suit my specific needs, combining random ingredients doesn't seem to do anything.