• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
I've lost count over how many of the big boys have busted my ass, but tonight it was the fart dragon as part of the events that I missed from inactivity (The Deathly Quiet Curtain).

How the crap do I even get the lvl 2/3 decorations? The majority I have are level 1s.

Also what do you mean by maxing out defense and augments? If you're talking about maxing out armor through the blacksmith I always do that.

Deathly Quiet Curtain is an Arch Tempered Vaal. You'll need Effluvia Resist 3 and preferably Vaal set recovery bonus.

In order to get level 3 of a skill, you put 3x decoration into the armor slot.

After you max out the defense at the blacksmith, there's another option called augment equipment. It will remove the max defense upgrade limit and open it up for further upgrade. Your defense should be slightly below 500 to even attempt an arch tempered mob.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
But can someone please tell me what in the shit am I supposed to do to keep dying in one hit against Rank 9 monsters? Am I supposed to be wearing the highest possible DEF gear I can, or gear with the highest resistance to whatever the monster is? If it's a dragon that shoots fire, should I be wearing Dragon resistant armor or fire resistant?
Element resistance is only good against certain moves, not certain monsters.

For example, Dragon Resist only works on moves that cause Dragon Blight (which would be Jho and Xeno's breath attacks). Rule of thumb: if it causes the status ailment associated with that element, then elemental resistance will help.

This means that a lot of elemental resistances will be completely worthless. There's only 1 water and 1 ice monster in the game right now, so those stats are basically useless.

For most of the monsters, focus on raw defense. Unless it's stuff like Lunastra or Kirin, elemental resistance doesn't help that much

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the trial version ahead of starting the full game, I wasn't aware of just how extensive the QoL/anti-frustration changes were. I was already aware of things like chugging potions while moving, seeing combo paths in the upper-right corner, and scoutflies replacing paintballs from my time with the beta, but had no idea about nets and pickaxes no longer having grades of quality in addition to no longer breaking (blanked on remembering that whetstones were unlimited). Not complaining though, just found it interesting.

Boogalogist

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the trial version ahead of starting the full game, I wasn't aware of just how extensive the QoL/anti-frustration changes were. I was already aware of things like chugging potions while moving, seeing combo paths in the upper-right corner, and scoutflies replacing paintballs from my time with the beta, but had no idea about nets and pickaxes no longer having grades of quality in addition to no longer breaking (blanked on remembering that whetstones were unlimited). Not complaining though, just found it interesting.

Tell me about it...I couldn't go back to MHGU after this (regardless of "number of monsters")

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After you max out the defense at the blacksmith, there's another option called augment equipment.

I.....I must have missed this.

That uh...yeah that's something I should look into. I either forgot this was a thing or missed it entirely.

Edit: it doesn't show up. how do I unlock this?

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
On the subject of food, I always just pick the Chef's choice option. I have no idea how to customize dishes to suit my specific needs, combining random ingredients doesn't seem to do anything.
You don't need to learn to customise dishes, but there are loads of preset meals and if you need elemental resist or defence you can choose them. Then just eat a max potion to get the HP you would have gotten from Chef's Choice.

I.....I must have missed this.

That uh...yeah that's something I should look into. I either forgot this was a thing or missed it entirely.

Edit: it doesn't show up. how do I unlock this?
Augments don't unlock until you get a weapon streamstone. Grind out some tempered elder dragons.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
How the crap do I even get the lvl 2/3 decorations? The majority I have are level 1s.

The tempered monsters are divided in tiers, you can check which tier they are at their required Hunting Rank: HR 13 for tier 1, HR30 for tier 2 and HR50 (tempered elder dragons) for tier 3. The last two tiers give better decorations (if your RNG is good), and streamstones to augment your weapons. (better chances with tempered elder dragons though).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The tempered monsters are divided in tiers, you can check which tier they are at their required Hunting Rank: HR 13 for tier 1, HR30 for tier 2 and HR50 (tempered elder dragons) for tier 3. The last two tiers give better decorations (if your RNG is good), and streamstones to augment your weapons. (better chances with tempered elder dragons though).

Okay, but as mentioned above, I shouldn't even bother with tier 3 hunts until I augment my armor.

And since the stones are more likely to drop from the tier 3 hunts, then that makes things...difficult.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Okay, but as mentioned above, I shouldn't even bother with tier 3 hunts until I augment my armor.

And since the stones are more likely to drop from the tier 3 hunts, then that makes things...difficult.

You should do fine against elder tempered with just max defense, no need for augments (of course, it will help).

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Tried Behemoth for the first time yesterday. He isn' that hard mechanically. I watched Arekkz' guide before tackling him, and most people that join know what they are doing.
That said, I still haven't beat him. I have a problem sheathing my weapon (went at him with my Kulve sleep lance) in time to run to the comet to hide before Ecliptic Meteor hits.
We got him to the last area the last time I tried yesterday, I died while running to the comet - and as I lay dying the notice popped that Behetmoth was slain - but Duty failed nonetheless :(

Oct 27, 2017
I've been grinding Kirin investigations for days now. I started by using the save backup trick, but I run so many investigations that new ones kept popping up constantly. But no Gold Mini/Giant Crown so far.

Then I realized that I had been grinding low rank investigations all that time. I honestly didn't even bother looking at the rank before starting. I feel so dumb. I even got a Silver Giant Crown that wasn't Gold by 10 units, but the vast majority of Kirins I measured were either too big to be Minis, or too small to be Giants.

I guess I'll start again with high rank investigations. I have a ton of HR Kushala Daora ready to start after I get Kirin's Crowns... and that should be enough for the Plat.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I know you guys gave advice before, but I'm still super frustrated how I'm dying so much to bosses like Lunastra.

I tried to get the absolute most fire-proof stuff available and it still wrecked my ass. Here's a Twitter post of my current stats since none of the image-uploading sites are working:

It's especially frustrating because I don't have any arch-tempered dragons appearing in my investigations, so how am I supposed to get the drops to augment my gear when the available mobs are already ridiculously powerful?

On another subject, I feel like I still haven't mastered how to dodge properly. I can't tell whether for some attacks it's better to dodge towards a swinging tail or lunge (for the invisible frame window) or to dodge away from them.

Lastly, I also wonder if I'm too reliant on multiplayer. It's fine when there's a rando group of super-buff super-armed guys who take out a tempered enemy in minutes, but too often I run across people just as weak as I am and die twice as fast.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I know you guys gave advice before, but I'm still super frustrated how I'm dying so much to bosses like Lunastra.

I tried to get the absolute most fire-proof stuff available and it still wrecked my ass. Here's a Twitter post of my current stats since none of the image-uploading sites are working:

It's especially frustrating because I don't have any arch-tempered dragons appearing in my investigations, so how am I supposed to get the drops to augment my gear when the available mobs are already ridiculously powerful?

On another subject, I feel like I still haven't mastered how to dodge properly. I can't tell whether for some attacks it's better to dodge towards a swinging tail or lunge (for the invisible frame window) or to dodge away from them.

Lastly, I also wonder if I'm too reliant on multiplayer. It's fine when there's a rando group of super-buff super-armed guys who take out a tempered enemy in minutes, but too often I run across people just as weak as I am and die twice as fast.

I'm gonna advise to swap something for Health boost.

Are your investigations full?

What I've done is delete the crap ones so you have a lot of space for new investigations to pop up. Grab as much samples/footprints etc in random SOS's. There should be one event where you pick up the Blue Beryls I think it's 'Tracking the Delivery'. and before completing it search and pick up as much of those footprints etc before completing the rest of the event quest. Repeat it till lots of Tempered Boss investigations appear.

Any investigations where 1 faint on Lunastra etc or less than 3 purple box rewards I delete.

Last edited:

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia

AT dragons (orange glow, not purple) are events, not investigations.
I think you should invest in Vitality, 38 fire defense seems overkill. IIRC anything over 10 is enough to stop catching fire.
You should try the Clearmind charm against Lunastra, the cheaper alternative is the Barnos Jacket.
If you have the fire-mantle, use it judiciously.
Last, this is a stupid question but I assume you are equipping the armortalon+armorcharm+powercharm+powertalon?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm just hoping he has crafted them and putting them in his inventory. That's why I said the question is stupid. Just making sure he hasn't missed them or they aren't sitting in the inventory box.

Had the charms in my inventory but not the talons. I just crafted them, hopefully that will make a difference.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what time the event ends? I know it's the 17th. At reset? I finally locked in 2 setups to knock down that cheap bitch AT Xeno. Can No cart her in 15. Need 3 more tickets to finish up.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Finally decided to bite the bullet after playing through the trial. I'm completely in love with the game and the quality of life additions they have made to the series (the last one I played was 3 Ultimate).

Having said that, does anyone else think it's idiotic to have content locked behind timed events? I'm going to lose on getting the winter armor set just because I didn't get to play enough.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the new Waypoint podcast episode on Monster Hunter World and getting the vibe that they missed whole swaths of the game. Love those guys but whew. Couple of choice remarks:

You can't progress past HR20 (easily) without speccing for weaknesses
The game doesn't communicate monsters' weaknesses
Monsters didn't attack each other until World
Monsters covering themselves in mud/rocks wasn't possible until World

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, finally finished with work and gonna join in. There is a MHW with DLC. Is the DLC additional content or just skins? Is it worth it?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Quick question, finally finished with work and gonna join in. There is a MHW with DLC. Is the DLC additional content or just skins? Is it worth it?
No. Apart from stickers, some gestures and PSN avatars it has a samurai layered armor (basically a skin on top of your actual armor) but unless you are super invested in looking like a samurai, there's plenty of other layered armors and actual armors to farm.
EDIT: It seems that the deluxe digital version in the EU PSN is cheaper than the normal one so it would make more sense to get the deluxe one even if you don't intend to use the skins, stickers, gestures or avatars.

Last edited:

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
So I finally decided to upgrade to the PS4 Pro and...

I stupidely forgot to check if the cloud saves were backed up or not. I just thought auto-upload was on and went to exchange my old PS4 for the Pro. I formatted the machine before I took it too.

Turned the game on again and lost about 30 hours in these last two weeks. All event stuff too (Farming all the ATs mainly and a bunch of good drops) that I was trying to get everything before the event was over. This is so frustrating.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I've lost count over how many of the big boys have busted my ass, but tonight it was the fart dragon as part of the events that I missed from inactivity (The Deathly Quiet Curtain).

Also what do you mean by maxing out defense and augments? If you're talking about maxing out armor through the blacksmith I always do that.

On the subject of food, I always just pick the Chef's choice option. I have no idea how to customize dishes to suit my specific needs, combining random ingredients doesn't seem to do anything.
You get lv2/3 decorations from T2 investigations and up - usually the Legiana/Pink Rathian/Odogaron ones are the easiest for me to run through. It's heavily RNG-based though. Luckily if you're going for tankiness, alot of the defensive skills are lv1.

You can augment armor to increase the defense further past its max - although it is expensive. I wouldn't go into any Arch-Tempered fight under 400 defense.

I have specific loadouts for non-Nergigante elders but the rest of the game I use a general use armor set, usually all offensive skills with 3x Health Boost for survivability. Teostra stunlocks too often to not have 3x stun resist and Vaal wants you to have 3x Miasma resist. Damascus and Empress pieces are good if you need more slots and provide some great skills to go along with it.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
No. Apart from stickers, some gestures and PSN avatars it has a samurai layered armor (basically a skin on top of your actual armor) but unless you are super invested in looking like a samurai, there's plenty of other layered armors and actual armors to farm.
EDIT: It seems that the deluxe digital version in the EU PSN is cheaper than the normal one so it would make more sense to get the deluxe one even if you don't intend to use the skins, stickers, gestures or avatars.
Danke

And I'm going with PC

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Rnxx5pm.gif

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How do I nab Winter Star Tickets? All the guides say they're rewards for limited bounties, but the only bounties I'm seeing offer the standard rewards.

Oct 13, 2018
How do I nab Winter Star Tickets? All the guides say they're rewards for limited bounties, but the only bounties I'm seeing offer the standard rewards.

Daily bounties for winter star tickets ended a few days ago. They're only available as login bonuses until today. The event might come back during Christmas like they did with the harvest festival and Halloween, so if you're not going anywhere then you might still have a chance.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Daily bounties for winter star tickets ended a few days ago. They're only available as login bonuses until today. The event might come back during Christmas like they did with the harvest festival and Halloween, so if you're not going anywhere then you might still have a chance.

That's ridiculous.

Why would you have the event rewards end BEFORE the event?

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Just picked up Switchaxe again after not using it since I started the game. It's a super cool weapon and I have alot of fun using it, but they really need to not make its coolest move (Zero Sum Discharge) not trash.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It seems I still don't have a full grasp on how slots work in this game.

I equipped myself with two armor sets with Health Boost slots, but filling them both up wouldn't let me exceed the Health Boost level of 3. I thought that every decoration I added would add an extra pip to a skill slot, if available (in this case, I would have six open slots on the Health category). Do I instead need level 2 decorations or something?

I'm clearly not boosting myself properly, so please educate me.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

I equipped myself with two armor sets with Health Boost slots, but filling them both up wouldn't let me exceed the Health Boost level of 3. I thought that every decoration I added would add an extra pip to a skill slot, if available (in this case, I would have six open slots on the Health category). Do I instead need level 2 decorations or something?

I think Health boost 3 is max. To boost it further has to be canteen meal and/or max potion / mega nutrients which need to be farmed and crafted.

Health bar should look something like this and if you taking on Luna, drink them white potions

XRDwJXq.jpg

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So wearing sets with the same skill is completely useless, if you already max your cap with one?

I also assume you typo'd "White Potion" because as far as I know that doesn't exist in this game.

What about the armor and power drugs? I had initially read that they were pretty useless. If not, how long do their effects last?

xania

Oct 27, 2017

Decos don't boost the max of skills, it fills them up just like having them on armour does. So, if you wear armour with 2/3 Health Boost, and then put on 1 HB deco, you'll have the max of 3/3 and any more you equip (armour or deco) will be useless. The slot levels are basically the game making it harder to get a max of certain skills - Handicraft decos don't give you 3 levels per deco because they're slot level 3, they still only give 1 each. But you need a lv3 slot, which is rarer than a lv1 slot. Which level slot you put them in also doesn't matter - putting Health Boost (lv1) into a lv3 won't be any different than putting it into a lv1 or 2. Basically, decos are just +1 to the skill until max.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So wearing sets with the same skill is completely useless, if you already max your cap with one?

Correct. Skills are not per-armor, they are per-character. When you equip an item with Health Boost I, it doesn't matter whether it's coming from a deco or a piece of armor. Your character has Health Boost I. Once you're at Health Boost III, your character is at the maximum Health Boost. Any additional Health Boost unconditionally does absolutely nothing.

What about the armor and power drugs? I had initially read that they were pretty useless. If not, how long do their effects last?
Armorskin and Demondrug (and their Mega variants) are not useless at all. They last until you faint or the hunt ends. The pills (like Might Pill) do more but only last 3 minutes. The raw seeds last 30 seconds. They all stack. I usually slap Mega Demondrug on when I'm trying to speedrun or Mega Armorskin when I'm feeling rusty or doing a challenging monster with few carts.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Armorskin and Demondrug (and their Mega variants) are not useless at all. They last until you faint or the hunt ends. The pills (like Might Pill) do more but only last 3 minutes. The raw seeds last 30 seconds. They all stack. I usually slap Mega Demondrug on when I'm trying to speedrun or Mega Armorskin when I'm feeling rusty or doing a challenging monster with few carts.
You got the Seed/Pill duration swapped.

Seeds last 3 minutes.
The Pills last for like 20-30 seconds.

It's always worth carrying Drinks and Seeds for an extra boost.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
seeds, pills...look, I'm a Lance main. I carry the shield and hit the monster. when the monster die I get the big money. then i fight monster again. no problem

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I only have seven monsters left to farm up before I would have made every single weapon this game has to offer! :D Just need to farm... 121 Lunastra horns...

Wish there was an easier way to farm horns... Xeno'Jivva was the only easy one of the elder dragons to farm up while the rest seem like they fall before their jaws or horns break... But anyway, Kulve Taroth hunts coming up with some AT goodness around the corner. Maybe if the rewards are really good, I might consider farming the golden goat up some this time around besides to make the armors.

The best advice I would give against the Lunastra would be the following when you're first learning how to fight it.

1) Fire Mantle. When fighting the Lunastra, I would argue the blue flames are more dangerous than the Lunastra itself since it can quickly chip away your health before you get the chance to realize it. As such, if you see there being alot of blue flames, that would come in handy.
2) Wind resistance. It wounds like this should be for another elder dragon, but when it does its supernova, having wind resistance will prevent you from getting knocked backwards, thus giving you a better chance to escape.
3) Farcaster. So suppose you aren't so lucky and need an immediate evac so that you don't really burn to death. A farcaster comes in handy when you need to make a fast escape and the worst that happens is that you have to run back to continue your fight. But I'll take that over a cart.

Now as for the other mantle, you could argue it either way between the one that helps you avoid any and most attacks, or the one that helps you not get knocked back. Either way, saying "Be careful" probably goes without saying, but I suppose the only other thing of note is that if at all possible, chop the tail off. I would bet that more times than naught, you get slapped with the tail and that leads to even worse situations...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Other way 'round: seeds are 3 minutes (or 2.5? same as the demon/armor powder) and pills are 30 seconds. Those are good to pop when a monster falls down and you can bash away.
Best use for a might pill is right after you knock a monster down from mounting them. You can queue it up while you're on the monster and eat it while you're falling.

As far as I know Adamant Pills are worthless though.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Managed to beat Lunastra in the Arena, and very nearly managed to beat the followup quest (Lunastra and Teostra) but ran out of time.

The Armorskin helped a lot to keep me from dying too fast too. Once I get that Fire Mantle I should be even more resilient.

The problem is doing enough damage so I don't run out of time. I thought a Katana with water would do the trick,but then again I didn't spend more than half the time dodging and healing.

Oct 13, 2018
Managed to beat Lunastra in the Arena, and very nearly managed to beat the followup quest (Lunastra and Teostra) but ran out of time.

The Armorskin helped a lot to keep me from dying too fast too. Once I get that Fire Mantle I should be even more resilient.

The problem is doing enough damage so I don't run out of time. I thought a Katana with water would do the trick,but then again I didn't spend more than half the time dodging and healing.
Lunastra is weak to Ice and to a lesser extent dragon. Long Sword isn't a terribly good weapon for elemental damage, but Reaver Calamity will be better than any ice LS due to its high raw damage on top of having a little dragon damage. Cutting weapons deal the most damage to her wings, so I would focus on her head until she falls down, at which point you switch. She can be tricky to time foresight slash on, but you'll get there with some practice.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Finally took down Behemoth with randoms yesterday. I switched from Lance to HGB to Hammer (Baan), and it seems mobility and huge damage instead of guard was what the doctor ordered. Managed to get to the last area almost each time and I stopped fainting, but now other people get greedy and die.
Oh well, on the upside it seems almost all players that fight Behemoth know the mechanics and the general gameplan and it is a really fun fight. Managed to craft two pieces of Drachen armor from that one victory, now to grind out the rest of the armor, hope to get it in time for Kulve's return.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. Does anyone know how Guard and Charge Blades work? I see people saying 1 deco is best, because with a charged shield and Guard Point it hits the Guard 3 break point for for quick return SAEDs. So I would think 2 decos and a charged shield would work the same because I suck at GPs. But it doesn't seem to work? 1 or 2 Guard is the same with a charged shield and no GP? But the shield definitely gives at least 1 Guard, since 0 decos and a charged shield still gives a smaller knock back than no Guard at all.

I'm just confused why 2 decos and a charged shield doesn't seem to give the knock back reduction of Guard 3.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out. There is no Guard 3 break point on CB. It's only 1 and 5 that make a difference, and charged shield/GPs are worth 2 each. So Guard 1 + shield + GP = 5, not 3. But, Guard 3 is too much investment for me... guess it's time to just git gud.

Last edited: