• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ace

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So I've never played monster hunter before but was thinking about getting thus one but is it worth getting without ps+?
Is there some stuff that you have to be with friends to complete or van you do it all solo?

You can do most if not everything solo but imho it's much more enjoyable to hunt with other people. Especially up until the end of the campaign

Once things get a lot harder and a bit more technical (Arch Tempered Elder Dragons, Behemoth) that's where randos can actually drag the experience down and you're better off solo.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Where do I see the quests given to me by that Canteen cat to get ingredients? I can't find it any where, not even under Resource Center -> Delivery Requests.

Edit: Never mind, found them on the quest board. That's a bit odd, I'd expect them under Delivery Requests, since also that one guy near the Canteen that also had a quest to unlock an ingredient for the Canteen was put under Delivery Requests.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Where do I see the quests given to me by that Canteen cat to get ingredients? I can't find it any where, not even under Resource Center -> Delivery Requests.

Edit: Never mind, found them on the quest board. That's a bit odd, I'd expect them under Delivery Requests, since also that one guy near the Canteen that also had a quest to unlock an ingredient for the Canteen was put under Delivery Requests.
It's under optional quests.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks all for the advice! Sorry for the late reply I've been busy this week.

I'm liking the idea of farming just the tail specifically with a LS and then quitting a few/several times. Funnily enough I played Tri/3 Ultimate for hundreds of hours and never really thought to do this before. I just kinda get absorbed in the hunt and want to see it through to the end I guess.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Will the 'Contract: Trouble in the Ancient Forest' Special Assignment disappear in a few hours? Or will it remain accessible like the Behemoth content?

I should just give up on saving pukei pukei..

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Will the 'Contract: Trouble in the Ancient Forest' Special Assignment disappear in a few hours? Or will it remain accessible like the Behemoth content?

I should just give up on saving pukei pukei..
I haven't heard anything about Trouble in the Ancient Forest leaving, even though Woodland Spirit was always gone for me.

I'm 99.9% sure it's permanent.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of in a weird phrase the game because there's not really any reason to grind stuff besides weapons really. Because of ice born

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
AT Vaal is on this week, followed by AT Kulve returning next week, and AT Teostra, doesn't look like we'll be seeing AT Nerg in March.

Assuming we are doing one week for each AT (Although Kulve will probably appear multiple times and the Spring Festival is likely to return in April) we've still got repeats of Lunastra, Kushala Daora, Zorah Magdaros and Xeno'Jiva to get through.

...So possibly May for AT Nerg if they are repeating them all first? Again, not sure how many times Kulve will show up in that period (Probably twice at least along with being around for the Spring Festival).

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
AT Vaal is on this week, followed by AT Kulve returning next week, and AT Teostra, doesn't look like we'll be seeing AT Nerg in March.

Assuming we are doing one week for each AT (Although Kulve will probably appear multiple times and the Spring Festival is likely to return in April) we've still got repeats of Lunastra, Kushala Daora, Zorah Magdaros and Xeno'Jiva to get through.

...So possibly May for AT Nerg if they are repeating them all first? Again, not sure how many times Kulve will show up in that period (Probably twice at least along with being around for the Spring Festival).

I would actually assume AT Nerg will launch with the spring fest.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
OK, I don't play on PC so this really doesn't impact me, but can someone explain why the Steam version never got the Street Fighter collabs? I just check the PC event schedule and saw that AT Luna gives them the Luna Y armor, but not the Layered Sakura armor.

Seriously? Street Fighter V is on Steam. This doesn't make any sense.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Bought this relatively recently. I think I get it, but I definitely don't get it in the sense that I don't quite get the overwhelmingly positive reception.

Lots of different systems and items and upgrade paths and beasts and it seems needlessly complicated for what the main draw is: killing monsters and upgrading gear. It's possible the game just isn't for me but I wanna be sure that I give it a fair shot.

I just killed the Tobi Kadachi. I'm using the axe that turns into a lightning sword thingy. The main thing I'm concerned about it is that I'm not doing combat properly. I'm just kinda whacking the thing aimlessly, transforming my axe into a sword here and there until it dies.

Any tips or advice from people who took a while to warm up to this game would be appreciated!

Sir Laguna

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this relatively recently. I think I get it, but I definitely don't get it in the sense that I don't quite get the overwhelmingly positive reception.

Lots of different systems and items and upgrade paths and beasts and it seems needlessly complicated for what the main draw is: killing monsters and upgrading gear. It's possible the game just isn't for me but I wanna be sure that I give it a fair shot.

I just killed the Tobi Kadachi. I'm using the axe that turns into a lightning sword thingy. The main thing I'm concerned about it is that I'm not doing combat properly. I'm just kinda whacking the thing aimlessly, transforming my axe into a sword here and there until it dies.

Any tips or advice from people who took a while to warm up to this game would be appreciated!

Look for the weapon tutorials made by Arekkz or Gaijin Hunter in YouTube. Those are amazing and go really deep into the combat.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Finally got the mini crown trophy. It only took 681 hours. :(
I thought I would take the opportunity to complain here about the 2 mega crowns (Kirin and Black Diablos) that I'm still missing before I get the platinum just in case the usual "complain-get what you need" cycle takes place. :S

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

4RqD7sb.png

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I came back to my second playthrough (now on PC) and I've been wasting my time doing regular tempered monsters. I'm now remembering that the game forces you to farm tempered elder dragon investigations, but I have none.

How do I get over this hump?

Edit: Nevermind, I had the AT Lunastra to stalk for footprints.

Last edited:

banter

Jan 12, 2018
mainart.jpg

Did anyone else shit themselves looking at this photo from the anniversary site thinking of how amazing it would be if all of these monsters came to world (Obviously a few are already in)?

For the uninitiated: Fatalis, Rathalos, Nergigante, Gore Magala, Lagiacrus, Kushala Daora, Valstrax, Nargacuga, Brachidios, Zinogre, Glavenus, Tigrex, and Seregios. They all look rendered in the fidelity of world so I was dreaming about it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
And now I remember why I don't like the random weapons from Kulve, as I sit here looking at my third Kjarr Strongarm "Numb" and no Spark or Ice to show for it.

I got Decay though, which is cool. Now if only more stuff was really weak to dragon.

Edit: Oh my God, fuck everything about this quest.

All it takes is 2 people AFK in a lobby to ruin it. Weren't fast enough to get in a group at Pursuit 6? Sorry, you get jack shit because there's not enough people left to join in a hunt with you. Doesn't matter if you broke off half the parts by yourself at Pursuit 1.

And of course because AT KT only requires HR 16, there's even less control over what kinds of gear people bring. I'm seeing dudes in Full Vaal B armor with weapons that aren't fully upgraded. I'm seeing people in full Kulve B armor with Fire element weapons that don't need Free Element. I'm seeing guys with Masters Touch on Gunner builds and no decorations (and no mods on the gun either, always fun to see).

And if you manage to get in a good group from Pursuit 1-6, you get the same crap you got from fighting Kulve last year.

Last edited:

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite problem. I get groups of Reddit/streamer meta speedrun glass cannon builds with Luna Styx guns and max affinity for crit element.
Except they lack the skills of the streamers so those glass cannons keep getting one-shot and we triple faint.
Having said that, I do need to optimise my build. It's a bit too defensive (it's based on a fireproof anti-lunastra build), and I need to have a lightning/ ice weapon switch ready for stage 4.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I just put Health Boost 3 on all of my ATKT builds. Even with a gun, I don't think I've been 1-shot except by the fire breath, and that's not hard to dodge with a LBG. I don't even bother with defensive stuff beyond that and mantles.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just put Health Boost 3 on all of my ATKT builds. Even with a gun, I don't think I've been 1-shot except by the fire breath, and that's not hard to dodge with a LBG. I don't even bother with defensive stuff beyond that and mantles.

I've always run Health 3 with Styx, but this go-round, I'm switching that out to buff attack/affinity for areas 1 to 3 and swapping out to another set with health 3 for area 4. Working okay so far.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I've been experimenting with a simple gunlance build for ATKT.
I'm a terrible GL player (my regular lance skills really don't transfer well) but a pure-shelling build is really easy to use.
The shells ignore armour/hit zone values so you can shatter the parts without caring about getting the molten state.
Basically, you ignore regular damage and use a "long 4" GL with artillery (via charm) and focus (for charged shells) plus partbreaker as usual. This gives you lots of room for utility/survivability skills (fire res, vitality, guard and guard up via Urugaan set). Use a magazine deco if you have it.
The long lance can hit chest and horns quite easily (you can shoot up by initiating the shelling with an upswing instead of a poke).

Long 4 shells do about 100 damage each with all the buffs applied (eat 4xyellow for feline bombardier). You can usually get 3 or 4 shells away before KT repositions, or 8-12 shells on a trip/stun.

I might try a wide 4 version, but I don't know if quick shooting is better or worse than the longer range. I don't need Focus if I'm not charging shells, so maybe I could add some more support skills. Normal GLs are bad because the full burst combo requires too many regular attacks (which do crap damage in this build).

The downside is that it becomes (relatively) less effective when KT's skin is molten or shed.
I think I need to switch to a different build in stage 4 because KT starts moving quickly and it's hard to get the charged shells into its horns. I can usually only get 1 or 2 shells away during an opening, and I miss a lot or get hit because the charged shot has a long un-cancellable animation. Also I suck at GL so I misjudge distances/times a lot.
I might try switching to an ice bow build at stage 4 so I can easily focus fire on the horns. Ice bowguns are probably better, but I don't trust myself to not suck with them. For some reason I have very few decent ice weapons (also because Legiana weapons are generally crap).

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
next title update on April 4th includes a High Resolution Texture Pack for PC...It's a 40GB optional download and will require at least 8GB of VRAM...YES!!...I've been holding out buying the game because I wanted an HD texture pack...I was prepared to wait until the Iceborne expansion if need be but I'm glad Capcom finally decided to release one...hopefully it's a real improvement and not like the Kingdom Come Deliverance HD pack...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/582010/announcements/detail/1804161906378132114

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear about the PC upgrades.

I'm sure it's so last year, but I'm playing catch-up on my PC account. I started KT today and wound up getting my first solo KT kill with GS. Feels good man.

Edit: Ok not kill but I broke the horns. :-)

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Weapon design poll for the expansion pack is up on twitter. I like the chef hammer myself. I hope it's such a simple/cool design that they find an excuse to add it. The wierd hands gunlance is the "cleverest" design, so maybe that'll win.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad that the CB with the most votes is the weird electro-bird thing. Looks like a knockoff USJ weapon.

GunHands are cool, but I don't use GL so whatever.

I actually really like this CB

Looks like something out of Torchlight.

xania

Oct 27, 2017

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd get more excited for GunHands if I knew Capcom was gonna buff GL in any meaningful way for Iceborne.

Its sucks that the highest DPS you can get with GL is without using shelling at all (you know, the GL's main selling point) and even if you use shelling, you still never want to use the Wyrmstake because of how slow it is.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Swapped my 1080 Ti back into the 3440x1440 rig and performance sucked. Ended up turning off the volumetric effects and it seems ok.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
I did some comparisons for those interested. It seems to be quite picky on what is improved or isn't. It changes equipments and environments, some having a bigger impact than others.

Even though it's recommended for 8GB of VRAM GPUs, it seems to be fine for a 6GB 980 Ti, running at 3040x1440, it didn't went over 4.5GB used during my tests.

Comparisons 1, 2 and 3. There is 3 screens per comparison. The full size screenshots can be found here since the website didn't liked me packing 16 pictures in one shot.

This is a pretty nice upgrade overall for those that can spare the disk space requirement but it could be better thus said.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
PC players, how do I get guild cards for the achieve? I send and nobody responds in kind. Argh.

Is there an organized ERA MHW group that I should join in some way? Such a painful achievement.. can respond to someone's SOS and help them kill something but they still won't respond with a guild card.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Beat AT Xeno after ~8 attempts with randoms. That's a pretty hard fight. Ended up rolling with Heavy Bone Horn 2 to negate the ground fire and got a team that knew how to dodge the shockwave attack. Still took over 20 minutes. Which of the Xeno Gamma set is most useful to unlock first? I'm guessing waist or legs?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Beat AT Xeno after ~8 attempts with randoms. That's a pretty hard fight. Ended up rolling with Heavy Bone Horn 2 to negate the ground fire and got a team that knew how to dodge the shockwave attack. Still took over 20 minutes. Which of the Xeno Gamma set is most useful to unlock first? I'm guessing waist or legs?
You'll wants arms/waist/legs for 90% of the builds that use AT Xeno gear. The arms are actually super good even if the built in skills are crap just because the slots are so great.

If you want to run something other than the Heavy Bone Horn, you can use the Clearmind Charm to neat heat damage as well.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Am I wasting my time trying to get Behemoth shearclaws solo? I have the other armor pieces now and no matter how many times I attack and bomb a paw I'm getting nowhere.

I'm playing GS with sleep to get him down as often as possible (apothecary mantle and pet wpn too) to bomb.

I really don't want to mess with randoms on this so trying to decide whether to call it. I had no issues with horns/tail. I'm also trying to get the boulders on his paws when possible if that works.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Am I wasting my time trying to get Behemoth shearclaws solo? I have the other armor pieces now and no matter how many times I attack and bomb a paw I'm getting nowhere.

I'm playing GS with sleep to get him down as often as possible (apothecary mantle and pet wpn too) to bomb.

I really don't want to mess with randoms on this so trying to decide whether to call it. I had no issues with horns/tail. I'm also trying to get the boulders on his paws when possible if that works.

Pretty sure Plunderblade is the way to go here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Plunderblade is the way to go here.

Oh yeah forgot that but have been using Plunderblade on all my farming too. Nada. (The bomb decos were the key)

Edit: Hell, I've now farmed everything except the palico stuff. I just now realized the kinsect can't be obtained without a kill. I'm so pissed that I wasted a night doing this. The fight is horrible for a random group, just terrible design.

I think it is time for me to stop playing.

Last edited:

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Next Fest will start 4/25, runs through 5/16. No AT Nerg yet, but I'd have to assume he will be part of this or directly after, right?
Greatest Jaggras is back though! Can maybe complete my decos this time? Need 1 more Attack and 2 more Challengers.