• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Now that the thread isn't dead:

Is there any AT Luna armor worth making? If not I'm just gonna kill her enough times for Sakura because fuck Lunastra.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone on PC willing to help me cheese the rest of the 50 guild card achievement? I think I have about 20 and it's been a monumental task.

I also need to kill Behemoth if there's a group that runs. I farmed all the mats for armor and weapon using GS so I'm familiar with a lot of the fight and will check out some videos. I also used to play a lot of high-end WoW so I'm not completely unfamiliar with group play or similar. Also have a solo KT "kill" using GS under my belt, so I'm not super bad or anything.

Last edited:

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Just downloaded it on Xbox thabks to gamepass. I keep asking myself if I'm reaaaaallllyy going to do this again after 400 hours on ps4. I realize how much I can cut after making dozens of armor and weapon sets I never/almost never use on my first go, but that still leaves all those kulve weapons and, decorations (sigh). I didn't go hard on AT kulve, and those drops rates are ridiculous now for the old Rarity 8s i learned to love, so maybe it won't be so bad....

The idea of playing iceborne on my One X though excited me. I would prefer to play the best looking and running version where I can, and I'm praying they will push the system a bit more now that they've had time with it, because the original 3 modes basically copied their pro support, and we know the X is capable of more.

Have they confirmed if the expansion will be sold standalone? I'm hoping they do a destiny package and include the base game at that point so I don't have to buy the game a second time.

Also, how has the population been for you Xbox folks? Any trouble finding event or kulve lobbies?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Just downloaded it on Xbox thabks to gamepass. I keep asking myself if I'm reaaaaallllyy going to do this again after 400 hours on ps4. I realize how much I can cut after making dozens of armor and weapon sets I never/almost never use on my first go, but that still leaves all those kulve weapons and, decorations (sigh). I didn't go hard on AT kulve, and those drops rates are ridiculous now for the old Rarity 8s i learned to love, so maybe it won't be so bad....

The idea of playing iceborne on my One X though excited me. I would prefer to play the best looking and running version where I can, and I'm praying they will push the system a bit more now that they've had time with it, because the original 3 modes basically copied their pro support, and we know the X is capable of more.

Have they confirmed if the expansion will be sold standalone? I'm hoping they do a destiny package and include the base game at that point so I don't have to buy the game a second time.

Also, how has the population been for you Xbox folks? Any trouble finding event or kulve lobbies?

I'd say that's when MHW comes back alive during those events. Other times it feels pretty dead nowadays

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Did some PC AT Kulve runs.. man. I think it brings out the worst in the game.

Lobbies labeled for anyone and was kicked twice before a run, I guess after a gear inspection. I mean my character is HR94 and I'm pretty well setup, but I've lacked on decoration and augment luck (and am not going to save scum). The others in the run honestly looked like they didn't need to be there so I guess they were just speed running for weapons.

I can solo the regular version so "git gud" isn't a big issue, though I am learning the AT changes.

Cannot wait to finish the armor set so I can never do it again. I'm just a couple nuggets from 3/5.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Seeing the sale on Steam for MHW. I am interested to show off my GTX 2080. I have like 800 hours on PS4 though. I know PS4 save transfer is still not a thing, is there a character editor or something on PC? I just can't be bothered to re-grind.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Finally got this game on the Golden Week sale! I've only got one question: will there ever be more time-limited events?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got this game on the Golden Week sale! I've only got one question: will there ever be more time-limited events?
There's one more that we know of: Arch-Tempered Nergigante. That's not to say that the old events won't keep coming back, but everyone's pretty sure there won't be any new ones.

After that, all eyes are on Iceborne.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
There's one more that we know of: Arch-Tempered Nergigante. That's not to say that the old events won't keep coming back, but everyone's pretty sure there won't be any new ones.

After that, all eyes are on Iceborne.
Oh, I hope Horizon Zero Dawn's event returns then, it's the one I'd hate to have missed forever. At least I'll be on time for Iceborne :p

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I hope Horizon Zero Dawn's event returns then, it's the one I'd hate to have missed forever. At least I'll be on time for Iceborne :p
All 3 of the HZD missions are up right now for the next 2-3 weeks. And they'll be back in the Summer and Fall as well.

The first one can be done really early on, so don't miss it!

forrest

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Long time MH player here, I put way too many hours into the PS4 version only to stop just as Kulve Tarroth was put in game. I recently picked up the PC version on the cheap and was grinding out the ranks, built my Anguish great sword, then realized the Spring Blossom event was up the very next day. Needless to say I quickly got my Wyvern Ignition Impact forged and am back on the grind.

Is there any must haves that I should farm during the event? I have all of the PS4 early stuff, but wasn't around for layered armor etc. It does look like I need to get to behemoth as a GS user.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Long time MH player here, I put way too many hours into the PS4 version only to stop just as Kulve Tarroth was put in game. I recently picked up the PC version on the cheap and was grinding out the ranks, built my Anguish great sword, then realized the Spring Blossom event was up the very next day. Needless to say I quickly got my Wyvern Ignition Impact forged and am back on the grind.

Is there any must haves that I should farm during the event? I have all of the PS4 early stuff, but wasn't around for layered armor etc. It does look like I need to get to behemoth as a GS user.

Yep, Behemoth is the meta armor for all melee builds. If you are ever going to use a gun, AT Xeno armor is necessary. If you will ever use basicaly anything OTHER than a greatsword, AT Kulve is grinding for weapons.

Other than that, The Greatest Jaggras gives a ton of decos, so farm that and "The Name Is Lavasioth" next week for the same purpose.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

For what it's worth if you want to mess around solo you can farm Behemoth parts that way.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you call "must haves."

All of the AT Elders give you a layered armor set, so if you don't want to look like a goon you should consider those. Everyone's right that Behemoth is the meta set for most melee weapons, but there are a couple that use Kaiser Y armor or Xeno Y armor instead.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Is the whole deco loot table present on Jagras? I'm 300 hours in and still have 1 attack, 0 handicraft, 0 tenderizer. Have done a half dozen runs and feel like I'm seeing the same stuff over and over.

I know, thst's not many runs. I'm just frustrated.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Is the whole deco loot table present on Jagras? I'm 300 hours in and still have 1 attack, 0 handicraft, 0 tenderizer. Have done a half dozen runs and feel like I'm seeing the same stuff over and over.

I know, thst's not many runs. I'm just frustrated.
For what is worth, I did get one attack deco from Greatest Jagras. It was that or the special AT Lavasioth. But one of them definitely gave me one. Tenderizer should be comparatively easier.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My long nightmare is over. I'm now the proud owner of a Kjarr Strongarm Ice.

Now to use it on nothing because Ice isn't good on Nergigante and it'll be outclassed soon after Iceborn drops.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
For what is worth, I did get one attack deco from Greatest Jagras. It was that or the special AT Lavasioth. But one of them definitely gave me one. Tenderizer should be comparatively easier.

For the longest time I needed partbreaker gems. I no longer need these, but now I get them like every other Jagras. Argh.

Did farm the AT Kulve set for giggles.. took 3 kills I think, which was nice.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a MH game before, but I just bought this in the current Steam sale.

Any advice for someone who hasn't played this series before?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a MH game before, but I just bought this in the current Steam sale.

Any advice for someone who hasn't played this series before?
My general advice for all newcomers:
  • Don't be afraid to try out every weapon type in the training room. Some will be more complicated than others, but there's always a chance that one could be your favorite weapon.
  • Don't feel the need to craft all of the weapons and armor that you can. You'll just burn yourself out.
  • Similarly, don't get bogged down with stats and stuff at the start of the game. You can beat the story and get to the credits without paying too much attention to all that. Just make stuff that looks good and has high numbers.
  • If you want to farm monsters, don't use expeditions or the optional quests. Use investigations so you aren't farming forever.
  • Go online and look up what all of the consumable items do, because the game doesn't do a good job of explaining them.
  • Try and beat each monster at least once by yourself. Not only does the game basically encourage this with the weird cutscene restrictions, but you'll have a better chance to learn their moves.
  • Don't let the mission timers stress you out. You can easily beat just about every monster with plenty of time left. If you aren't sure about a fight, slow down and pay attention to their moves. Better to take your time and win instead of rushing in and dying.
  • If you can't beat a monster in the time limit, that usually means you need to upgrade your weapon or figure out how to better get in and deal damage.
But the most important thing: Just try and have fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My general advice for all newcomers:
  • Don't be afraid to try out every weapon type in the training room. Some will be more complicated than others, but there's always a chance that one could be your favorite weapon.
  • Don't feel the need to craft all of the weapons and armor that you can. You'll just burn yourself out.
  • Similarly, don't get bogged down with stats and stuff at the start of the game. You can beat the story and get to the credits without paying too much attention to all that. Just make stuff that looks good and has high numbers.
  • If you want to farm monsters, don't use expeditions or the optional quests. Use investigations so you aren't farming forever.
  • Go online and look up what all of the consumable items do, because the game doesn't do a good job of explaining them.
  • Try and beat each monster at least once by yourself. Not only does the game basically encourage this with the weird cutscene restrictions, but you'll have a better chance to learn their moves.
  • Don't let the mission timers stress you out. You can easily beat just about every monster with plenty of time left. If you aren't sure about a fight, slow down and pay attention to their moves. Better to take your time and win instead of rushing in and dying.
  • If you can't beat a monster in the time limit, that usually means you need to upgrade your weapon or figure out how to better get in and deal damage.
But the most important thing: Just try and have fun.
Thanks a bunch. Waiting for the download now and watching random videos, I'm really not sure why I've not played this until now... I think it just seemed a bit overwhelming.

Oct 26, 2017
Buddy and I started a squad last night. We're both new to the game.

My question is if he and I want to join two other randos to hunt with, how would we go about doing that?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
After a few hours playing I'm really disappointed I didn't get in sooner.

The gameplay loop here is so great, and while I am overwhelmed a bit trying to take everything in at once, the game is so damn charming and I feel like I'm making progress and learning enough as I go that it will all click soon.

Settled on the Switch Axe and the Buster Sword to begin with. I spent about 15 mins with every weapon last night and these felt the most fun for now.

Is the idea to play the story mode and then worry about the online and event stuff? Or is there anything I should be doing as I level?

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
After a few hours playing I'm really disappointed I didn't get in sooner.

The gameplay loop here is so great, and while I am overwhelmed a bit trying to take everything in at once, the game is so damn charming and I feel like I'm making progress and learning enough as I go that it will all click soon.

Settled on the Switch Axe and the Buster Sword to begin with. I spent about 15 mins with every weapon last night and these felt the most fun for now.

Is the idea to play the story mode and then worry about the online and event stuff? Or is there anything I should be doing as I level?

Yeah just play story mode for now. There are a few event things that are cool (like Megaman armor for the palico, HZD crossover) but nothing is essential.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to miss things if I can do them now. Can I? Or do I need to finish the story first?
If you're the right hunter rank, there's no reason not to do an event mission that's available. Worst case scenario is that you don't get anything useful from one and can just not do it again.

But do note that events won't raise your hunter rank until you beat the story.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're the right hunter rank, there's no reason not to do an event mission that's available. Worst case scenario is that you don't get anything useful from one and can just not do it again.

But do note that events won't raise your hunter rank until you beat the story.
Haha, that went over my head.

I'll just keep an eye on stuff available and pick and choose. Thanks!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, that went over my head.

I'll just keep an eye on stuff available and pick and choose. Thanks!
Hunter rank determines what level of mission you can do. If you look at any mission it'll say "HR1 or above" or whatever to let you know much of the story you need to beat to do that mission.

Only way for you to increase it right now is to play the story. So if there aren't any events that you like right now, just play the story and you'll be able to do more events.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks both of you. This is all pretty much standard with this style of game, just switching to a new skin of it and tuning myself to the terms and structure etc...

Lovging the game so far. The environments being so well interconnected and the wildlife being alive and reactive is so damm good.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post...

Yesterday I was exploring and I harvested 3 hives for honey to complete a registered bounty, but today when I went to craft a megapotion I had no honey... was that honey I gathered used up on the bounty itself?

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Sorry for the double post...

Yesterday I was exploring and I harvested 3 hives for honey to complete a registered bounty, but today when I went to craft a megapotion I had no honey... was that honey I gathered used up on the bounty itself?
You may have Mega Potions on autocraft. If you have potions in your inventory, then the Mega Potions get crafted as soon as you gather the honey.
The bounty may have used the honey, it could be. I don't remember if those bounties consume them. Honey is best obtained by the harvest tree, though.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any watch to change the Final Fantasy music in the hub area? I've learned to hate it now.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Best way to grind to HR100 quick? Looking at nabbing a research commission ticket so I can craft the Lunestra-Xeno gun.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Best way to grind to HR100 quick? Looking at nabbing a research commission ticket so I can craft the Lunestra-Xeno gun.

There are currently event quests up for the fest that give extra hunter rank. Forget the names (one of them is something akin to "snow and cherry blossoms"), but they state extra hunter rank gained in the descriptions.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point to doing The Thronetaker over Sapphire Star's Guidance? One gives you research tickets, the other doesn't, and it's not like Thronetaker gives you a bunch of HR or streamstones or decos to make up for it.

Is there any watch to change the Final Fantasy music in the hub area? I've learned to hate it now.
You gotta beat Behemoth to get rid of it. I was stuck with it for like a month before finding randos that could get the job done.

It super sucks.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point to doing The Thronetaker over Sapphire Star's Guidance? One gives you research tickets, the other doesn't, and it's not like Thronetaker gives you a bunch of HR or streamstones or decos to make up for it.

You gotta beat Behemoth to get rid of it. I was stuck with it for like a month before finding randos that could get the job done.

It super sucks.

This is the stupidest part of the game currently. No way I'm doing Behemoth without a group of my own (which I lack) so the music is now turned off.

Is there a group here (on PC) I could run with? I'm not a bad player, just no friends playing. HR105ish.. after leveling to 80 or so on PS4.