• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The pants look like real pants now?
If so, that's nice. The top is worthless though.

I'm happy the new snow outfit looks like it is designed for snow at least, and is a layered armor set, so my hunter will at least be able to wear that and not look stupid.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But, that's not true at all?

The Lance is built to tank things.
That's its whole gameplan. Poke things, guard when an attack is coming, then keep poking things.
And the Hunting Horn is a support weapon.
Those playstyles exist in these games.

I wish more people wouldn't be afraid of looking at defensive skills and Wide Range. I'd rather a hunt with randoms take a few more minutes than watch them cart a couple times because they aren't good enough to play their DPS build.
The Lance isn't made to tank it made for blocking. You lose so much stamin up blocking everything and needs slot of skills like guard and guard up to make work. And every than it not good a tanking. And hunting horn is a weapon that can support but every than the support the hunting horn does is base off of DPS and the very at of attacking. The game has skill and stuff that makes it possible to support people but it isn't design for that

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The Lance isn't made to tank it made for blocking. You lose so much stamin up blocking everything and needs slot of skills like guard and guard up to make work. And every than it not good a tanking. And hunting horn is a weapon that can support but every than the support the hunting horn does is base off of DPS and the very at of attacking. The game has skill and stuff that makes it possible to support people but it isn't design for that
Okay, so your argument for not calling the lance a tank, is that it is made to tank hits...

This is stupid. This isn't even about the Behemoth fight anymore, which was built with those playstyles in mind.

And to keep putting down the support options in this game. Wide range is far from a bad investment online, if we're playing online then we're not speed running, I'd rather everyone stays alive against some high damage tempered monster than try to finish a couple minutes faster. I'm gonna waste far more time on a failed mission because someone was too stubborn to look at defensive/health boosting skills instead of just damage. The Behemoth fight would certainly be a lot easier if people were willing to change their approach instead of whining about it not being what Monster Hunter is.

Nov 7, 2017
Thats feeling when behemoth smashes the last two comets at the same time in the final area and 2 seconds later casts ecliptic and two people miss their jumps mission failed............

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am glad to have already beaten Extremoth with Randoms during the Anniversary Event. Should a master variant comes around that's even harder, I'll try to do it in the first release wave.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Tanking is any means in which a target intentionally takes the hits rather than attempting to avoid them. So Lance is indeed a tank.
it's easy to categorize things when you're arbitrarily redefining them! I now think tanking is any means by which a target mitigates damage, so every weapon in the game is a tank.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's totally reasonable to use the word 'tank' differently in different contexts, especially in situations where players might have an intuitive sense of what it means despite it being an unusual context. But in a conversation that's specifically about how Behemoth forces players into role actions that don't exist in MHW proper—i.e. "keeping aggro," which is a staple of MMOs that doesn't have a direct cognate in MHW—acting like there's no difference between MHW's version of "tanking" and traditional MMO tanking seems a little obtuse. obviously they're different things, even if you do think that they're both recognizable as 'tanking' in the context of their respective games; that's why it's notable that Behemoth has an explicit mechanic that forces players to play differently. if it didn't, Behemoth wouldn't be an unusual hunt

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Omg, lmfao. Ok, purple Kirin. Kills them all haha. So bunch of level 100 players don't know how to evade?

I mean I'm not playing any different than usual and don't get carted, my gear isn't even upgraded fully... -_-

And I used the Kirin set which isn't even good against him, I mean defense is but my attacks mostly didn't go through...?

Tbh, I love this fight, finally some not always samey, old dragon but this is hilarious, they just keep dying ...

I think I'll try to beat it solo, with Kirin set, without temporal mantle, which I don't have anyways lol - but what's a good element against him - I'll have to check...

Anyhow, this is too funny.

I'm like, yeah a level 100, that's gonna be easy...
"...has fainted"

-_-

xD

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Omg, lmfao. Ok, purple Kirin. Kills them all haha. So bunch of level 100 players don't know how to evade?

I mean I'm not playing any different than usual and don't get carted, my gear isn't even upgraded fully... -_-

And I used the Kirin set which isn't even good against him, I mean defense is but my attacks mostly didn't go through...?

Tbh, I love this fight, finally some not always samey, old dragon but this is hilarious, they just keep dying ...

I think I'll try to beat it solo, with Kirin set, without temporal mantle, which I don't have anyways lol - but what's a good element against him - I'll have to check...

Anyhow, this is too funny.

I'm like, yeah a level 100, that's gonna be easy...
"...has fainted"

-_-

xD
IIRC fire is the way to go against Kirin. And temporal mantle definitely isn't necessary but it makes it a lot easier if you can keep switching from temporal to thunder mantles as they work through cooldowns so you might want to try and get that first

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
it's easy to categorize things when you're arbitrarily redefining them! I now think tanking is any means by which a target mitigates damage, so every weapon in the game is a tank.
It's not arbitrary, I've seen it used in that context countless times. I really don't think this is a new thing.

I think it's totally reasonable to use the word 'tank' differently in different contexts, especially in situations where players might have an intuitive sense of what it means despite it being an unusual context. But in a conversation that's specifically about how Behemoth forces players into role actions that don't exist in MHW proper—i.e. "keeping aggro," which is a staple of MMOs that doesn't have a direct cognate in MHW—acting like there's no difference between MHW's version of "tanking" and traditional MMO tanking seems a little obtuse. obviously they're different things, even if you do think that they're both recognizable as 'tanking' in the context of their respective games; that's why it's notable that Behemoth has an explicit mechanic that forces players to play differently. if it didn't, Behemoth wouldn't be an unusual hunt
It's fair to say that the lance doesn't tank like an mmo tank.

Honestly, Monster Hunter is probably overdue for adding a skill that makes a monster more likely to target our character. World added the Challenger's mantel which is effectively that, just not useful especially compared to the other options. It'd be pretty helpful in multiplayer.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, fire's the way to go

the thing with Kirin is it's not just about not dying, it's also about being effective—I think their pattern locks way more weapons out of their damage than most other monsters. taking damage meters to that fight is nuts, I don't think I've seen another hunt where players so regularly come in at sub-10% of damage. Like Dual Blades do almost nothing against Kirin unless you have a hammer there to KO him, he just moves around too much for you to really unload your moveset. Lance and Bow are nutso good against him, though.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man ok at least I didn't die against Lunastra this time... But 15 minutes is cutting it close, also I ran out of healing items lol...definitely fire proof mantle helps though... This fight would be a lot easier with a group (who knows what they're doing) for sure...

yeah, fire's the way to go

the thing with Kirin is it's not just about not dying, it's also about being effective—I think their pattern locks way more weapons out of their damage than most other monsters. taking damage meters to that fight is nuts, I don't think I've seen another hunt where players so regularly come in at sub-10% of damage. Like Dual Blades do almost nothing against Kirin unless you have a hammer there to KO him, he just moves around too much for you to really unload your moveset. Lance and Bow are nutso good against him, though.

Yeah, LS isn't ideal, but so much fun, especially against Kirin - it's just really not easy... lol

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Before I go to bed, here's DrArchon's Sure-Fire Kirin Killing Guide summed up as succinctly as possible:

Crit Draw Great Sword

That's it. That's really it. The uncharged draw attack on the great sword does dumb damage for how safe it is. You don't need long combos like SnS, DB, IG, etc. to actually feel like you're killing Kirin kinda quickly, while at the same time being able to roll away from the really dangerous stuff (or block if you really need to). Crit Draw isn't that hard to get even before you get a bunch of decos, and because 3 points will get you 100% affinity, you're free to include things like Health Boost and Thunder Res. And because the draw attack is a straight vertical chop, you can easily hit the head and never touch the body, making Mind's Eye unnecessary.

Won't get 1st place, but at least you'll cross the finish line.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not redefining anything. A tank and/or tank build is designed to take hits, always has been.

It is not damage mitigation, all armour and defense stuff does that, but you don't see Dual Blades intentionally letting themselves get hit. They don't tank hits, they avoid them, unlike Lance.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Before I go to bed, here's DrArchon's Sure-Fire Kirin Killing Guide summed up as succinctly as possible:

Crit Draw Great Sword

That's it. That's really it. The uncharged draw attack on the great sword does dumb damage for how safe it is. You don't need long combos like SnS, DB, IG, etc. to actually feel like you're killing Kirin kinda quickly, while at the same time being able to roll away from the really dangerous stuff (or block if you really need to). Crit Draw isn't that hard to get even before you get a bunch of decos, and because 3 points will get you 100% affinity, you're free to include things like Health Boost and Thunder Res. And because the draw attack is a straight vertical chop, you can easily hit the head and never touch the body, making Mind's Eye unnecessary.

Won't get 1st place, but at least you'll cross the finish line.
Here's my strategy:

Guard Lance

If you're lucky enough to have a Guard Up deco, you can pair it with Guard 5 to tank all of Kirin's attack and lightning strikes. All of them. You can be right up in his face poking the shit out of his head and his lightning is useless on you.
(If you don't have Guard Up, you can block everything but the infuriating rows of lightning - which the Lance's mobility makes it reasonably easy to sidestep anyway.)

From there it's just a regular game of chess with a dancing horse.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Woo! Lunastra down! Took only 9 minutes thanks to some jp players (I guess?)

We still had 2 faints, hah.

I'm really liking the peak skill thing, even in that fight... Idk how much % it's good for but it seems to help! (someone else had the Vaal "skirt" too)

And thanks guys, I'll keep it in mind, but I don't think I can betray my sword.....

Err, can I equip this crit thing on the LS too? I don't think I have it, hmm.

Edit: aww, damn, japan crew was there again for the next fight (the 2 "fire dragons") but fainted in the end... They're really low levels too (20-30) but they sure seem to know what they're doing regardless of the faints. :p

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still interesting though these quests (like kirin and lunastra) show me many people aren't very good in this game - probably rely on their stats too much...

I mean I still barely faint - but I know it's easy to if you aren't prepared (and you *have* to be in these fights)

I am about to start this game tonight. I have no clue what I am doing.
You're in for a ride! Just started a few weeks ago too but it feels like I've never done anything else in my life but slaying monsters haha 😁

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's only one worthy weapon in this game
and it's not even really in the game lol

Monster_Hunter_World_Screenshot_2019.06.09_-_VirtuousContract.png

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Capcom is doing a stream of iceborne right now, they've shown the new hub. They did a thing on Tigrex, Shrieking Legiana, and Velkhana. Now they're about to do a Tigrex quest live. Looks like they're keeping hunter ranks but adding Master rank (numerical like hunter rank but only goes by MR quests. The demo showed a player that was HR60 and MR7.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Lots of new info, raider rides move on their own following monster tracks. You can use items and sharpen while riding. The vigorwasp revive is once per quest and doesn't count against your 3 lives.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Okay, so your argument for not calling the lance a tank, is that it is made to tank hits...

The point of the lance is to have 100% uptime.

While wimpy hunters with glow sticks dance around the monster we on the other hand are blocking, guard advancing, setting up counters and we are always, always on the offensive. And sure, sometimes that means putting up our shield since it is faster to resume your attack when you're already at the monster's feet.

And when the monster retreats we do not sheath our weapons and run behind him: we charge at him.

;)

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so now I'm stuck at lvl 49...glad I even noticed lol, this is one of these things the game should tell you (more clearly if it does anyway)

Apparently I have to beat Kirin to get unstuck?

That kinda sucks because I want to do the Lunastra fight where Nergigante is chasing you... I almost had it on first try, the fight is hilarious, it would be easier to first kill Nergigante but of course no one does this - also he's just too cute, so I'm fine with that also - he even helps fighting Lunastra (when he's not chasing me through the whole level haha)
^actually I'm sure that helped the team because they could focus on Lunastra , I've been hunted by Nergigante at least for 15 minutes o.o

But yeah, I won't do that anymore for now since it wouldn't count towards level progression - or maybe it does?

That fight is 10 times more fun than Kirin in any case...

It's funny I think my build is really pretty good (for a more or less random one) Lunastra rarely takes more than half my HP... so I'm good as long I have healing items lol

But yeah, now idk what to do, probably better to focus on Kirin.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
The other palico tools are probably still better.

But it's a nice bonus to the vigorwasp tool.

xania

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so now I'm stuck at lvl 49...glad I even noticed lol, this is one of these things the game should tell you (more clearly if it does anyway)

Apparently I have to beat Kirin to get unstuck?

That kinda sucks because I want to do the Lunastra fight where Nergigante is chasing you... I almost had it on first try, the fight is hilarious, it would be easier to first kill Nergigante but of course no one does this - also he's just too cute, so I'm fine with that also - he even helps fighting Lunastra (when he's not chasing me through the whole level haha)
^actually I'm sure that helped the team because they could focus on Lunastra , I've been hunted by Nergigante at least for 15 minutes o.o

But yeah, I won't do that anymore for now since it wouldn't count towards level progression - or maybe it does?

That fight is 10 times more fun than Kirin in any case...

It's funny I think my build is really pretty good (for a more or less random one) Lunastra rarely takes more than half my HP... so I'm good as long I have healing items lol

But yeah, now idk what to do, probably better to focus on Kirin.

You still get HR EXP even when capped. That's how you can jump straight from 15 to 29 after you beat Xeno, and 29 to whatever after beating the Bagels. So do whatever you want, you'll get the EXP after you uncap.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Well, we guessed it'd be so, but new skills are now confirmed. Arekkz posted a gameplay video w/o commentary, but there was a point where there was a status box that said "Offensive Guard has worn off". So new skills, new decos to grind!

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, we guessed it'd be so, but new skills are now confirmed. Arekkz posted a gameplay video w/o commentary, but there was a point where there was a status box that said "Offensive Guard has worn off". So new skills, new decos to grind!
And changes to existing skills.

I saw an image where Horn Maestro can go up to level 2 now (no clue what it does, probably just makes songs last even longer).

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I was all excited because I got a 20% off promo code to Capcom's online store, so I was going to order the Iceborne Master edition on there and save some cash. But then shipping was going to be $13. Nope.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You still get HR EXP even when capped. That's how you can jump straight from 15 to 29 after you beat Xeno, and 29 to whatever after beating the Bagels. So do whatever you want, you'll get the EXP after you uncap.

Got it.

Man... this game... So I was about trying to figure out how to beat Kirin - I honestly think it wouldn't have happened, he kills you so fast..
Low and behold someone come in my lobby "do you need help with Kirin?!"

And that was that, took 10 minutes, I only carted once... hah.

So then Lunastra - someone with the melody thing joined - we totally had it... Lunastra was chanceless lol...
Game crashes...! ;_;

Then I just joined someone random and we got it... But close.

And now the game wants KING COINS from me. Do I look like I have KING COINS?

Up and down with this game haha...

But they really did it great keeping you in your toes, every other game I would have long given up due to sheer boredom of "grinding", but not in this, this game is a lot but what it definitely isn't is being boring! So far!

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Holla darlings. Been replaying the game again startin from 0, there are so many things that i remember falsely. Im actually very eagered to play iceborn

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know a link to all "Bushi" sets?

I can max buy one and, well, there are a lot of those and I don't want to get the "wrong" one lol