• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Thats just a number. Will there be new hooks to keep you playing after beating the last "Master" Monster? The base game was poor in this regard. Previous G rank expansions gave you reasons to keep playing beyond just the new maps/monsters.

They did?

I thought grinding for gear, speedrunning, and perfect builds was all in one with grank before

I dont remember anything special in previous generations outside of an extra final final boss and rotating event quests for high end elders

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
A little more than World at least. There were more RNG elements.

Oh well yeah but world was a vanilla experience though I know OG Tri/4/Gen had some endgame stuff but its comparable to vanilla MHW

Time will tell how truly robust Iceborne is content wise

I dont think it will rival GU but thats an unfair comparison since that game is a damn kitchen sink of 4 generations of content. Much of it just carried over and remixed from their respective games

I do think it could potentially be compared to 3U and Maaaayyybe 4U in content depth

Hard to tell since they are being so stingy right now!

I hope we get a blowout at Gamescom

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Oh well yeah but world was a vanilla experience though I know OG Tri/4/Gen had some endgame stuff but its comparable to vanilla MHW

Time will tell how truly robust Iceborne is content wise

I dont think it will rival GU but thats an unfair comparison since that game is a damn kitchen sink of 4 generations of content. Much of it just carried over and remixed from their respective games

I do think it could potentially be compared to 3U and Maaaayyybe 4U in content depth

Hard to tell since they are being so stingy right now!

I hope we get a blowout at Gamescom
Yeah I was hoping to see some new ideas.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I was hoping to see some new ideas.

Hmmm well if I had to guess we may see an expansion to the new endgame mechanic MHW introduced with Siege battles

Maybe some other truly large monsters will be remade and rotated in and out as a siege battle. They only did one of these with Kulve and it would be cool to have more high end events in this vein

Monsters like Dalamadur or Lao Shun could work or a new monster entirely?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem with Worlds endgame is that Tempered is a much more boring modifier than Frenzied or Hyper. If Tempered monsters came with boosts other than just bonus damage, I think we'd see a lot less complaints.

Also, grinding for decos >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grinding for charms. At least when I get a Tenderizer deco or whatever, I know it'll be good as it can be, instead of there being a million variations on charms and getting sad that I only got Hanidcraft +6 instead of +10 or whatever.

World had probably the worst endgame of any base mohkn. Hope ice born can fix it
It was still better than Tri (in that there is an endgame).

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah so the monsters disappear after they got killed... I lost my crew, then got chased by Lunastra for about 10 minutes and when I finally shook him or her off I could see dead Teostra on the map but it wasn't there when I arrived to get my (un)deserved rewards... Just disappeared lol!

Edit: yep, did it again, Teostra just disappears... So it's either get roasted by Lunastra while trying to carve or just don't carve... lol (I did both regardless of course!)

Also there's no reward for doing this "Infernal Duo"? I think there should be a reward, that wasn't exactly easy!

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit... I found out how to unlock level 50 missions, just to also find out that I can't do them haha, pretty much everything 1 shots me...

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I liked what I saw of the new expansion. Managed to watch a few capcom streams with two hunts.

Meanwhile I finally was able to get a good Nergigante Setup for Switchaxe and an Odogaron for my insect glaive, like the screens I posted. Reached the point where I have to hunt down the elder dragons.

Nergigante was a lot easier than I remembered, managed to slay him within 10 minutes, but I was playing on PS4 before and always with a mate, so 4player multiplayer difficulty all the way ^^

Is there an active community on PC? I have 250 hours+ and online nearly every day (europe / Paris / Berlin timezone)

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
is this normal? I was running around looking for some slinger ammo and then Xeno descends and we all just stand around..

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
qTaO1Mf.gif

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing again after a long absence in anticipation of iceborn and wow, AT Nerg is no joke. I've gotten him once but I've tried so many times. I can do it pretty well without carting but I'm not sure I could do it solo and randoms still do the dumbest shit. I just had someone flash Kushala after their turf war and it stuck around and carted us all 3 times.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So, I've completed every Lvl 6 optional quest and it shows "complete" in blue, I know this means there's more quest but what caught my attention is that I did every Arena hunt quest (like 8 in total) and now it only shows me two of them completed and the rest just vanished.

Maybe I need to progress in the story.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
So, I've completed every Lvl 6 optional quest and it shows "complete" in blue, I know this means there's more quest but what caught my attention is that I did every Arena hunt quest (like 8 in total) and now it only shows me two of them completed and the rest just vanished.

Maybe I need to progress in the story.
Special arena quests rotate after you complete them the first time because why not... Blue completed means you completed all quests you have currently unlocked. Red completed means you completed every quest for that rank. You likely missed a capture in high rank tier 1, but there is no way to find out which one except going capture them all again.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Special arena quests rotate after you complete them the first time because why not... Blue completed means you completed all quests you have currently unlocked. Red completed means you completed every quest for that rank. You likely missed a capture in high rank tier 1, but there is no way to find out which one except going capture them all again.

You can also just check to see what monsters you have captured in your hunting guide. Open it up and the number captured is in parentheses. If there's a zero, you know you missed one.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
You can also just check to see what monsters you have captured in your hunting guide. Open it up and the number captured is in parentheses. If there's a zero, you know you missed one.
True, but it doesn't help if you already completed the low rank special arena quests. The guide doesn't distinguish between low rank and high rank.

The fastest way to figure it out is:
1. Make a list of all the tier 1 monsters.
2. Check which special arena quests in 6* you have and cross those off the list.
3. Pick one of the remaining from the list. Capture it and cross it off.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until every monster on the list is crossed off.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

Thx for the explanation! I was missing a quest giver in the Research area, I never go there.

On another note, I beat Nergigante (with help) and it was intense my friend. Took like 5 attempts because people (me included) couldn't manage his last phase.
We finally beat him in 7 minutes, there was this player shooting arrows like there's no tomorrow and obliterated him.

Fights in HR gets really crowded with monster, it's spectacular.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still need to catch some certain fish... ughh.

And once I saw a researcher in Wild Spire after a quest had ended unsuccessfully, which is very weird because I've never seen him again - he's basically standing right in front of camp 1 (?) exit...

Maybe I have to fail a quest again to make him reappear?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Movie teaser leaked.

It's about what you'd expect.
At least the monsters look good. If I was in a pedantic mood I'd be like "Excuse me, but they're using the 'new world' phrasing and slingers even though the great sand seas are CLEARLY from MHTri and 4" but at the end of the day I really don't give a shit.

The story will absolutely be dogshit, but maybe we can get a nice couple of minutes of monster action to put up on YouTube or turn into gifs.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
They are referring to khezu at the timestamp and his monster icon shows up in the bottom left shortly after the timestamp. Actually probably not his icon. It's smaller than the large monsters. Probably a wulg. I saw the long white thing near the bottom and the tiny wing looking things on top and thought it was khezu.

Last edited:

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Um, I don't play monster Hunter but I saw this trailer for the movie. I don't know how legit it is and I don't feel comfortable making a thread about it. Anyway, here you go

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They are referring to khezu at the timestamp and his monster icon shows up in the bottom left shortly after the timestamp. Actually probably not his icon. It's smaller than the large monsters. Probably a wulg. I saw the long white thing near the bottom and the tiny wing looking things on top and thought it was khezu.

So they brough back not only yet ANOTHER flying wyvern, it also has to be fucking Khezu of all things.

If you want a creepy crawlie at least bring back Gigginox, you can even do Baleful for a Paralysis variant

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Is it normal to be 100hs into the game and still using the same weapon type? I have the objective of reaching the end game with the same weapon type and keep playing until I feel I've done everything I want with it (which probably means just simply getting the best possible version of it), but as I was playing last night, not wondering about any other weapon ever, my mother was watching me playing with some randoms fighting a Bazelgeuse and told me "don't you have a bow like that other player?" and I was "well yeah I have one but..."

Got me thinking if I should farm for more than one weapon type and switch from time to time, honestly I'm 100hs in an still discovering new moves for my Charge Blade (I just found that if you slide and hit with your blade instead of jumping it'll do a double slash combo that propels you even higher and you can mount monsters) and I feel like there's a lot of game ahead of me yet, I'm like lvl 14.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Having a secondary weapon even if you have a main is always a good idea. Some monsters are much easier with certain weapons.
Myself, I play all weapons but that's a real time sink and you could say I'm a Jack of all trades master of none.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Having a secondary weapon even if you have a main is always a good idea. Some monsters are much easier with certain weapons.
Myself, I play all weapons but that's a real time sink and you could say I'm a Jack of all trades master of none.

So you'd say that most people play with two or three weapons at least? I mean, from the get go or most of the time spent in the game.

I'd like to use a range weapon, or even the horn (is it any good?) something that feels completely different. I played the game for about 50hs on release and abandoned it, at that time I only used the long sword. This year, to catch on Iceborne, I wanted to start from the beginning with an Axe and I didn't find what I was looking for on the tutorial videos so I took the Charge Blade because it looked fun but not too far out the Long Sword. I'm not bored in the slightest of it, I'm completely invested in getting better versions of it but watching other players entertains the idea of trying others in the future.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you'd say that most people play with two or three weapons at least? I mean, from the get go or most of the time spent in the game.

I'd like to use a range weapon, or even the horn (is it any good?) something that feels completely different. I played the game for about 50hs on release and abandoned it, at that time I only used the long sword. This year, to catch on Iceborne, I wanted to start from the beginning with an Axe and I didn't find what I was looking for on the tutorial videos so I took the Charge Blade because it looked fun but not too far out the Long Sword. I'm not bored in the slightest of it, I'm completely invested in getting better versions of it but watching other players entertains the idea of trying others in the future.
I don't really consider there any of the weapons to complex enough to only use one weapons, it pretty easy to learn weapons.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't really consider there any of the weapons to complex enough to only use one weapons, it pretty easy to learn weapons.

Oh sure, I'm not suggesting that, I just feel that I invest a looooot of time to craft stuff for the weapon I have but maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I shouldn't see this as "I should have this weapon be viable in every scenario". I'm just realizing this lol, one weapon for this, another for that, this one for this element, this one for that other thing.

I feel like I'm opening my eyes.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sure, I'm not suggesting that, I just feel that I invest a looooot of time to craft stuff for the weapon I have but maybe I'm looking at it wrong, I shouldn't see this as "I should have this weapon be viable in every scenario". I'm just realizing this lol, one weapon for this, another for that, this one for this element, this one for that other thing.

I feel like I'm opening my eyes.
I mean you getting so much stuff in this game it not hard to craft stuff.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Most people start with upgrading only one kind of weapon. It's not unusual to branch into having two kinds (ranged for example is a nice alternative to melee).
Charge blade might be the weapon with the most complex movement set. Others like Dual blades can be quite simple to learn.
Hunting Horn is not much fun if you mostly solo, it shines when hunting in groups, the bigger the better (as in buffing 4 hunters is worthier than just 2).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I mean you getting so much stuff in this game it not hard to craft stuff.

I don't know, sometimes it feels like that, others I have to hunt a monster three times to get what I want or like now that all of a sudden I'm broke and have to grind money and points (I mean not that much but still).

Most people start with upgrading only one kind of weapon. It's not unusual to branch into having two kinds (ranged for example is a nice alternative to melee).
Charge blade might be the weapon with the most complex movement set. Others like Dual blades can be quite simple to learn.
Hunting Horn is not much fun if you mostly solo, it shines when hunting in groups, the bigger the better (as in buffing 4 hunters is worthier than just 2).

Well, maybe I won't go with Hunting Horn but I'll check the Bow and Guns to see which one feels more fun to me. Charge Blade is great, I'm really happy with it, I love how HR made me consider the one hand sword and shiled stance a lot more, I practically never used it on the Zorah Magdaros storyline.

Edit: I played solo throught all the Zorah story and tried MP after it, it's great to the point I'm motly playing MP now on every hunt but now I'm broke, I don't know how it happened (a single piece of HR gear cost a lot of money) and hunting in groups hurts your rewards quite a bit. :/

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, sometimes it feels like that, others I have to hunt a monster three times to get what I want or like now that all of a sudden I'm broke and have to grind money and points (I mean not that much but still).

Well, maybe I won't go with Hunting Horn but I'll check the Bow and Guns to see which one feels more fun to me. Charge Blade is great, I'm really happy with it, I love how HR made me consider the one hand sword and shiled stance a lot more, I practically never used it on the Zorah Magdaros storyline.
3 times lol. That's easy. especially with investigations helping you out even more. if this was a older Mon hun game it when was different because some parts weren't readily available as they are today.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For better or worse this is probably the easiest monster Hunter the game to get material for weapons and armor. I pretty much have all the weapons I want besides to dumb kulv stuff