• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Me again!

What's the point of Guild Cards? I've got quite a few but I don't know what they do, I know they seem to matter on the Tailraiders deployments.

I've sent mine once or twice but again, I don't know what it's worth for.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Guild cards do nothing but allow you to show off to other players and express yourself a bit more.

You get an achievement for getting 50 of them for what it's worth, but they don't impact gameplay in any way.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Lunastra's supernova continues to be the most annoying move in the game.
yeah. Back when Luna released on PC I thought people's complaining about her was a little overblown, but after running her a few times in the last few days, she really is an incredibly annoying mon to hun if you aren't running something with Guard Up. So much of her difficulty comes from blanket zone denial and so many of MHW's best weapon mechanics (imo) come from acting on really specific attack predictions. Like, tempered Jho is hard but it's a kind of hard that meshes really well with numerous different weapons, it feels like Luna just locks me out of so many strategies.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Lunastra's supernova continues to be the most annoying move in the game.

AT Luna I can understand but hopefully you are carrying..

Astera Jerky and hot wheel them !
kel1Z6E.gif

Crystal Burst: gives her a sudden rude interrupt
RfxkTj5.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The breath attack from vaal is almost equally annoying imo.

I don't know the last time I got hit by this attack. He always fires it from left to right in an arc in front of him so as long as you're standing somewhat close to him you can just run towards him and to the right and not be in any danger and not have to even consider superman diving.

The only problem happens when you're playing with randoms, so he might run across the room to aggro them and then fire the laser at you from far away, forcing you to try and dive through it.

Oct 27, 2017
Blitzed through Low Rank and went straight to farming Deviljho and Rathalos in HR. I'm trying to make the Deviljho LS and get a 4-piece Rathalos Set before I start farming the Elder Dragons. What's a good set to have prior to farming Behemoth on PC?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!

Btw, when is Kulve Taroth arriving on PC? Not sure what the release schedule is for AT monsters since I haven't played since April 2018 on PS4.
I think AT KT has had a couple week-long availabilities on PC, most recently June 21-June 27. Doesn't look like any more are scheduled before July 18, but I bet they'll do one again soonish.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everybody, I was lttp on the game, getting it in the sale, and I'm loving it. Finally made it to the high rank hunts with the dual blades, I know I want to focus on affinity, sharpness, maybe marathon runner? What other specific armors should I aim for. I only just beat the pink rathion so I'm sure plenty of.options to unlock still. Right. Now I'm using dragon blades 2 and lightning pengas I should be able to upgrade more soon

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If you just got to Tier 2 High Rank, go for the Odogaron armor. It's solid for that point in the game.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, after my rage episode last night, I finally beat the electric squirrel! I switched from Sword and Shield to the light bowgun and honestly whooped his ass. It was no contest! Followed it up by dominating the anjanath. I was using the sword and shield beforehand.

Thanks for the tips all!

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was just making a joke because old MH games didnt have scaling health depending on if you were solo or not, so solo was considered way harder than multiplayer in every case. That's where my gut reaction is, but its different in mh world because monsters have significantly increased hp, stagger, status resists in multiplayer. So in fact, a lot of things are much harder in multiplayer.
Oh I see, I didn't know that.
I'm generally not a fan of "scaling difficulty" or even worse"adaptive difficulty"
I've been playing a lot RE2 Remake before I jumped into MHW and the adaptive difficulty was about the only thing that bothered me in that game.

But it's somehow not so bad in MHW, I've been playing with a friend who disconnected midway and then I had to kill the Diablos on my own, wasn't so hard, but then again I'm totally geared up now, kinda OP for 'most' monsters lol

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's somehow not so bad in MHW, I've been playing with a friend who disconnected midway and then I had to kill the Diablos on my own

This is changing in Iceborne, they're finally fixing it so that if someone disconnects the monster gets scaled back to singleplayer health again.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm really liking these AT hunts - much better with only 2 players - because I do *not* like the fact a lot of randoms just cart within the first 10 minutes or so...

I mean it's kinda ridiculous if you're level 100+ and don't know how to beat Lunastra, Kirin, etc...

I hope Vaal is next, that should be fun!

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Monsters I want them to bring back in Iceborne:

Zinogre
Valstrax
Brachydios
Gore Magala
Dalamadur
Ukanlos
Rajang

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
So it's been days trying to take down the couple Teostra/Lunastra, have tried probably more than ten times already.

People just take too damn long to come and when they arrive I already died once or twice, or when they do arrive on time we all die. I took a time off doing other hunts and finally last night I thought we got them but a random guy died, I don't blame him because he died twice to those explosions. It was frustrating though because we managed to take down Teostra and once one is gone (is the first time that happened honestly) I thought we would take Lunastra as well.

The positive note is that in that match I found out that you can cancel their explosive attacks with a well placed Crystal Burst and I got lucky enough to do it two or three times.

Anyway, any tips? I'm using Legiana's HR armor upgraded to 62 defense points (I use it to boost my frost attack and it has divine blessing I believe or something similar up to level 2), Charge Blade Gigafrost II or III? is the last one available. Decorations for defense, fire resistance, resistance to elemental blights, attack, and attack weakpoints. Defense lvl3 Charm. Vitality cape and Fire Resistance Cape.

Edit: I'm trying to make thet Raths (Azure Rathalos) set but I'm two pieces short, lacking some Carapaces.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
So it's been days trying to take down the couple Teostra/Lunastra, have tried probably more than ten times already.

People just take too damn long to come and when they arrive I already died once or twice, or when they do arrive on time we all die. I took a time off doing other hunts and finally last night I thought we got them but a random guy died, I don't blame him because he died twice to those explosions. It was frustrating though because we managed to take down Teostra and once one is gone (is the first time that happened honestly) I thought we would take Lunastra as well.

The positive note is that in that match I found out that you can cancel their explosive attacks with a well placed Crystal Burst and I got lucky enough to do it two or three times.

Anyway, any tips? I'm using Legiana's HR armor upgraded to 62 defense points (I use it to boost my frost attack and it has divine blessing I believe or something similar up to level 2), Charge Blade Gigafrost II or III? is the last one available. Decorations for defense, fire resistance, resistance to elemental blights, attack, and attack weakpoints. Defense lvl3 Charm. Vitality cape and Fire Resistance Cape.

Edit: I'm trying to make thet Raths (Azure Rathalos) set but I'm two pieces short, lacking some Carapaces.
I would ditch a bunch of those defensive skills for offensive ones and try to make the fight end faster. There will be less opportunities for Luna/Teo to wipe your party with novas. You will probably end up getting more staggers as well, which leaves them flailing on the ground for a solid amount of time. For instance you don't really need blight resistance as you can just roll it off. Same with fire res, just eat for fire res at the canteen if it's really a problem for you. If survivability is still a problem you would get more mileage out of Health Boost 3 than Defense 3 (a full upgraded Vitality charm or 3 level 1 gems is all it takes). Also it may be worthwhile for you to jump into a couple of Kulve runs to get the mats for the Temporal mantle.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I would ditch a bunch of those defensive skills for offensive ones and try to make the fight end faster. There will be less opportunities for Luna/Teo to wipe your party with novas. For instance you don't really need blight resistance as you can just roll it off. Same with fire res, just eat for fire res at the canteen if it's really a problem for you. If survivability is still a problem you would get more mileage out of Health Boost 3 than Defense 3 (a full upgraded Vitality charm or 3 level 1 gems is all it takes). Also it may be worthwhile for you to jump into a couple of Kulve runs to get the mats for the Temporal mantle.

This encourages me, I have some offensive items I could use, especially some that boost frost attacks. I'm not ready to get rid of my fire cape tho, I rely too much on it and the vitality cape but I can ditch all the other defensive decorations and charms.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
This encourages me, I have some offensive items I could use, especially some that boost frost attacks. I'm not ready to get rid of my fire cape tho, I rely too much on it and the vitality cape but I can ditch all the other defensive decorations and charms.
Keep the flame proof mantle but I find rocksteady and temporal more useful than vitality unless your fighting Vaal.

Another plus about doing more damage is you will likely get more staggers which lead to teo/luna sprawling around on the ground allowing you to get in a string of attacks uninterrupted.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Keep the flame proof mantle but I find rocksteady and temporal more useful than vitality unless your fighting Vaal.

Another plus about doing more damage is you will likely get more staggers which lead to teo/luna sprawling around on the ground allowing you to get in a string of attacks uninterrupted.

Yes, I was undecided on going full damage or defense and I guess I landed somewhere in between. When I started this quest I was weaker so I'm probably good for going full damage.

Vitality is not as useful as fire proof in this fight but I don't have any other mantle I could use, I don't have those you mention and I've been doing Kulve but I can only repeat that quest so many times on my own before I get bored. :/

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
Yes, I was undecided on going full damage or defense and I guess I landed somewhere in between. When I started this quest I was weaker so I'm probably good for going full damage.

Vitality is not as useful as fire proof in this fight but I don't have any other mantle I could use, I don't have those you mention and I've been doing Kulve but I can only repeat that quest so many times on my own before I get bored. :/
Actually my mistake, the temporal mantle is unlocked from the quest you're trying to compete, that's why it's not yet available.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
for charge blade, this page is great: https://mhwbuilds.net/charge-blade

i think the Anti-Lunastra (Poverty) is probably the best build you can put together to fight Luna. Gigafrost is pppprobably worse than Diablos Tyrannis II—lower damage and elemental phial discharges are generally way worse

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Barioth is back. Game Informer is doing new info on Iceborne every day this month.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah Barioth. Should've been considered am obvious inclusion, but I still had my doubts.

That said, we've still only seen 3 actually new monsters, so I hope this isn't just "Monster Hunter World Generations."

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah Barioth. Should've been considered am obvious inclusion, but I still had my doubts.

That said, we've still only seen 3 actually new monsters, so I hope this isn't just "Monster Hunter World Generations."

I'm kind of in the opposite camp -- there are so many old monsters I'd love to have back, although none have been confirmed yet (Zinogre, Brachydios, Valstrax, etc).

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
for charge blade, this page is great: https://mhwbuilds.net/charge-blade

i think the Anti-Lunastra (Poverty) is probably the best build you can put together to fight Luna. Gigafrost is pppprobably worse than Diablos Tyrannis II—lower damage and elemental phial discharges are generally way worse

I'll check the web page thx!

I have that Diablos blade I believe but I think you need free skills to use the Ice properties and I don't have any set outside the Zorah Magdaros one with those. In any case the difference shouldn't be that big, right?

Edit: I'm below the line of poverty lol.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017

I have that Diablos blade I believe but I think you need free skills to use the Ice properties and I don't have any set outside the Zorah Magdaros one with those. In any case the difference shouldn't be that big, right?

Don't unlock the Ice element on the Diablos CB. Once you get a Elementless decoration, use that instead.

benj

Oct 27, 2017

As DrArchon said, you don't want to unlock the Ice, you want to boost Elementless. The difference is pretty huge. Not only does Diablos deal more damage straight-up on every attack, Diablos will deal way, way more damage with SAED because it has Impact phials instead of Elemental. There is basically zero reason to ever run any CB that isn't Diabos Tyrannis II (or Taroth Strongarm, if you're lucky enough to have it). I run Alma Styx a lot of the time just because it's fun and different, but it's basically strictly worse.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Don't unlock the Ice element on the Diablos CB. Once you get a Elementless decoration, use that instead.

As DrArchon said, you don't want to unlock the Ice, you want to boost Elementless. The difference is pretty huge. Not only does Diablos deal more damage straight-up on every attack, Diablos will deal way, way more damage with SAED because it has Impact phials instead of Elemental. There is basically zero reason to ever run any CB that isn't Diabos Tyrannis II (or Taroth Strongarm, if you're lucky enough to have it). I run Alma Styx a lot of the time just because it's fun and different, but it's basically strictly worse.

Mmmm I'm not sure if I have an Elementless decoration yet, I believe I might but I'm not entirely sure how hidden elemental properties work yet because I haven't unlock any (I mean I don't actually know how to do that, I read someone here saying that you need free skill). I'll pay attention to those decorations!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you don't have Elementless, it's worth switching to Diablos over Gigafrost if you want to be using the best weapon.

Hidden Elemental properties basically don't exist until you unlock them, and I think it's never ever correct to unlock them because nonelemental weapons with an Elementless decoration always, always deal more damage than the same weapon with an unlocked element. I'm sure there are some DBs and SnS's that are exceptions, but generally I'd just treat weapons with unlockable elements as elementless.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Even if you don't have Elementless, it's worth switching to Diablos over Gigafrost if you want to be using the best weapon.

Hidden Elemental properties basically don't exist until you unlock them, and I think it's never ever correct to unlock them because nonelemental weapons with an Elementless decoration always, always deal more damage than the same weapon with an unlocked element. I'm sure there are some DBs and SnS's that are exceptions, but generally I'd just treat weapons with unlockable elements as elementless.

But what do Elementless does? it boost the damage output or uses the elemental properties? I'm not sure if I understand exactly its use.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
But what do Elementless does? it boost the damage output or uses the elemental properties? I'm not sure if I understand exactly its use.
Elementless gives you a 10% damage boost if your weapon has no element.

For weapons with the highest raw damage in the game and no element, like the Diablos weapons, that's a bigass boost.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Elementless gives you a 10% damage boost if your weapon has no element.

For weapons with the highest raw damage in the game and no element, like the Diablos weapons, that's a bigass boost.
It boosts the raw damage of a given weapon by ~10%.

Oh got it, yeah that's definitely worth it although I like using elements because it adds some "fake" variety to weapons imo (status effects are cooler than elements in that regard). Of course, at times like this when I'm struggling the best possible gear is a no brainer.

Thx for the info!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I get wanting to switch it up. I like using stuff like Lance and Bow in that regard, it adds a little more space for trying wacky stuff or making super context-dependent sets

that said, I think CB is maybe the number one worst weapon (well, maybe tied with GS) for straying outside of the raw-damage-heavy sets—not only does it have the same awful ele damage scaling as all the other slow weapons, the way SAED works with elemental phials means that ele CBs are basically missing the entire foundation that the dominant CB playstyle in MHW is built on

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

*My* tip is go as defensive as somehow possible, fire mantle, health boost, fire res, (temporal mantle would help but you don't have that yet), forget about offense, just try to survive and get some hits in when possible - personally I used Kirin or/and Odogaron sets for this fight, played it several times after I beat it too just because it's so much fun and actually quite challenging

Also water or ice element for your weapon can help in this hunt.

I never could beat this (3 tries or so) until I put everything in defense, so yeah, that's my advice.

Also get Divine Blessing to 3, best defensive skill in this game (besides health boost)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
*My* tip is go as defensive as somehow possible, fire mantle, health boost, fire res, (temporal mantle would help but you don't have that yet), forget about offense, just try to survive and get some hits in when possible - personally I used Kirin or/and Odogaron sets for this fight, played it several times after I beat it too just because it's so much fun and actually quite challenging

Also water or ice element for your weapon can help in this hunt.

I never could beat this (3 tries or so) until I put everything in defense, so yeah, that's my advice.

Also get Divine Blessing to 3, best defensive skill in this game (besides health boost)

I think I have divine blessing up to 2 and it's really a life saver! I'm already using Ice attack since they're weak to it. I'll try going offensive on my next try and see how it goes, I'll still use fire mantle and health but I'll see if I can put as much offensive boosts as possible. If it backfires I'll switch. Thx!

benj

Oct 27, 2017
definitely don't go water element for it, regardless of weapon. Lunastra has zero weakness to water

don't go Ice either for CB, but...super don't go water

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I think I have divine blessing up to 2 and it's really a life saver! I'm already using Ice attack since they're weak to it. I'll try going offensive on my next try and see how it goes, I'll still use fire mantle and health but I'll see if I can put as much offensive boosts as possible. If it backfires I'll switch. Thx!
I would not take kageroo's advice for a lot of this stuff. geist 6one's advice is generally solid. rocksteady is definitely going to be more valuable than vitality in this hunt.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
definitely don't go water element for it, regardless of weapon. Lunastra has zero weakness to water

don't go Ice either for CB, but...super don't go water

Yeah its a shame they went away from giving element something to do on heavy weapons

I wonder what they could do to make each weapon viable for builds on one or the other

Seems like they never are able to nail it down so stick with the Raw/Element split among weapons they have always had

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its a shame they went away from giving element something to do on heavy weapons

I wonder what they could do to make each weapon viable for builds on one or the other

Seems like they never are able to nail it down so stick with the Raw/Element split among weapons they have always had
I assume they must have tried a lot of different stuff that didn't work out for reasons that it's hard for players to understand without having tested it themselves, but it's truly wild to me that they aren't a little more flexible with how attack motion values impact elemental damage on heavy weapons. it is really hard to see the logic behind that decision

I also feel like the interaction between weakpoints and elemental damage is sort of mystifying. it's kind of cool to have them be so contingent on hitting weakpoints, but the payoff for successfully hitting a weakpoint should maybe be higher. like, what if heavy weapons got some big on-crit boost to elemental damage, so that using ele damage with a CB or GS would be like going double-or-nothing? the current system of non-weakpoints just totally canceling all elemental damage is real hard to understand

they also just extremely have to change how SAED works for ele phials. why on earth