• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

Big Velkhana article on Game Informer. Of note:
  • Velkhana worked out especially well because "there wasn't an elder dragon focused on Ice in World" (Kushala sheds a single tear).
  • They tried to come up with ways that Velkhana's ice mechanics made logical sense and weren't just lolmagic (laughter erupts from Kirin and Kushala).
  • Unique weapon designs are confirmed for Velkhana gear (thank God).
  • Armor looks cool for everyone.
  • Early designs made Velkhana look like a bird.

Technically Kushala is wind and not ice, in MHFU he only deals ice ailment when fought in snow. They changed this in fourth generations games I think ? Still Kushi is more wind than ice.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
8IWYqiB_z-QL04s9QhUA5lep_kycqTWNBbAKDA9HI64.jpg

velkhana_female_parts.jpg

l6n71n91ti931.jpg

bPKqPK5lcfjKlFvBEgK17FhHstHbznBUdfwIiiISq7s.jpg

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh those food skills are like a mini game, I like it!
Problem is I didn't unlock all food yet... I suppose I need to do all optionals for that?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A little extra bit I'd like to add:

You can swap the Gala Hat for the Nergigante Helm A or B if you didn't have the chance to get the hat earlier this year. It'll get you the same skills.

I made this build, I'm not really sure it's better or worse than my Drachen / Empress build, but it's certainly pretty good.

What sucks tho is that I don't have this Top Hat as I see it has 3 slots...

Any idea when this will come back?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I made this helper / healer build, it's fascinating to me to see how fast most people cart against "AT" VH, even if they have effluvial res +3... and I'm pretty much spamming healing items...

When there's a second healer there's a chance, but only me is not enough it seems.
Still so fast. Cart cart, cart "yeah, sorry about that..."

1 out of 3 or 4 are successful tho, so there's that. :p

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
Man the LS is so fun to use once you get the hang of FS, and the damage you can do if you can keep the red charge throughout the fight is nuts, I think I might just drop my glaive and make the LS my new main...

Just a few questions is there a way to cancel the final animation for spirit roundslash and helmbreaker? And what is fade slash good for? It doesn't seem to have any iframes like FS so I just been kind of ignoring it.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Man the LS is so fun to use once you get the hang of FS, and the damage you can do if you can keep the red charge throughout the fight is nuts, I think I might just drop my glaive and make the LS my new main...

Just a few questions is there a way to cancel the final animation for spirit roundslash and helmbreaker? And what is fade slash good for? It doesn't seem to have any iframes like FS so I just been kind of ignoring.
No way to cancel those animations, though they are adding iai sheathe attacks in iceborne that let you cancel some. You can foresight slash after helmbreaker since it still considers you mid-combo, but there's still a good bit of recovery animation that you have to go through. Fade slash is used as a positioning tool, but really it's use is negated by FS in this game, so there's not much use to it in most situations. Who needs to reposition when you have an attack with a full second of iframes that lets you skip straight to roundslash?

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's better here, MM or ATT?

DSC_2523ed.png

Edit: shit, I can't fit another maximum might in there it seems >.<

I have another build with 60% affinity though, I guess I should just use that (it even has vitality boost iirc)

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Much needed confirmation that not all of the returning monster weapons are losing their looks:
xxijsm0awm931.jpg

I also saw shots of the Tigrex LS and the Los/Ian DBs.

Nov 7, 2017

Just a few questions is there a way to cancel the final animation for spirit roundslash and helmbreaker? And what is fade slash good for? It doesn't seem to have any iframes like FS so I just been kind of ignoring it.
Fade slash is good because it repositions and builds more meter than a normal attack so its a shortcut to spirit slash 3 when you have time to do a full combo

benj

Oct 27, 2017
landing all your foresight slashes in a fight is one of the best feelings. it's definitely the thing that elevates Long Sword over the other on-the-simpler-side weapons for me. up there with hitting all your guardpoints on CB

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017

DSC_2523ed.png

I have another build with 60% affinity though, I guess I should just use that (it even has vitality boost iirc)

Attack Boost 7 is highly overrated. I just get it to 4 for the +5% affinity and then put jewels in for any free slots after I have all of my other skills accounted for since the returns aren't that hot. Run this instead.

0Xf1Ym5.png

If you want Health Boost 3, I would just use a Vit Charm, replace Empress Mail with Drachen, replace Drachen Greaves with Nerg Y legs, and drop Peak Performance.

Fade Slash is a good repositioning tool and builds meter better than doing the standard triangle combo. Triangle, Triangle, Fade Slash will build enough meter for you to transition into the full spirit combo into roundslash if you hit a weakpoint. Also, if you Foresight at full red meter, you generally won't want to do a roundslash since that's poor DPS, so you can fade slash into spirit combo from there.

Last edited:

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017

DSC_2523ed.png

Do you have any Teostra gamma or Nerg gamma stuff? IIRC teo gamma head and boots along with teo beta gloves and then Nerg gamma chest will get you a pretty similar build with a decent number of slots

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Attack Boost 7 is highly overrated. I just get it to 4 for the +5% affinity and then put jewels in for any free slots after I have all of my other skills accounted for since the returns aren't that hot. Run this instead.
Thanks! Yeah I figured attack 7 wouldn't be the best , I'm just trying out some stuff, and yeah I simply had issues to even fit the jewels I wanted...

And well I'm trying to get used to no health boost, doing just hr14 investigations right now - I still get hit too much, but there I can at least practice without carting immediately haha :p

Do you have any Teostra gamma or Nerg gamma stuff? IIRC teo gamma head and boots along with teo beta gloves and then Nerg gamma chest will get you a pretty similar build with a decent number of slots
Hmm I see, I don't think I have those, just started playing this game a few weeks ago, there should be wayyyy more AT hunts, like 10 or so all the time!

I already beat VH 15 times or so because he's the only AT right now...

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arch-tempered elders should have been available at all times; if they really wanted to gate them in some fashion they could have done something similar to the deviant system from Generations.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Arch-tempered elders should have been available at all times; if they really wanted to gate them in some fashion they could have done something similar to the deviant system from Generations.
For real. This is like gating EX deviants behind a randomized time schedule. It's so senseless when you have extremely powerful exclusive gear and layered armors locked behind them. I hate it so much...

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that close to or around the launch of Iceborne we'll see Capcom bite the bullet and make a lot of the events permanent.

Because there's no real reason to go back and do most of them once Iceborne launches.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to imagine that close to or around the launch of Iceborne we'll see Capcom bite the bullet and make a lot of the events permanent.

Because there's no real reason to go back and do most of them once Iceborne launches.

I don't think we'll ever see fully-permanent events because Capcom views MHW as a live-service game or MMO where rotating content is part of the "appeal," but I do think we'll see an expansion of what event quests are available. It used to be only three per week, then they jumped to five or six a week, and they'll probably go to ten a week or so when Iceborne launches.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Event gear being so powerful and locked behind weekly events is one of the main gripes I have with the game.

If you're a GS user, it's literally not worth augmenting any of your other GS's until the Wyvern Ignition quest comes up because it's the best option in 100% of all situations.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm ok with them rotating, but it's just not enough what's available, like how long is it, every week or 2 weeks? You beat them 4 or 5 times in one, two days, get the armor and then...? There should be just more, say 5 realistically, every week or so.

Also they have the festivals, even more reason to make ATs permanent or just more of them.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Event gear being so powerful and locked behind weekly events is one of the main gripes I have with the game.

If you're a GS user, it's literally not worth augmenting any of your other GS's until the Wyvern Ignition quest comes up because it's the best option in 100% of all situations.

I hate that this is true.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we'll ever see fully-permanent events because Capcom views MHW as a live-service game or MMO where rotating content is part of the "appeal," but I do think we'll see an expansion of what event quests are available. It used to be only three per week, then they jumped to five or six a week, and they'll probably go to ten a week or so when Iceborne launches.
yeah, but there's no real reason to rotate content with obsolete rewards, as Archon said. and i imagine the playerbase would not be thrilled if old events were contending with new events for space in the rotation. I'd imagine (and hope) that they'd keep the rotation model active for iceborne-specific content while at least unlocking some of the AT stuff for general play.

that said i haven't played many of the GaaS giants so i dont know what the convention is for this stuff

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
If the don't make some/all events permanent, then they at least need to stop locking so many behind festivals. There's no reason that stuff like the DMC and Mega Man collabs can only be done 4-5 times a year.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with them rotating, but it's just not enough what's available, like how long is it, every week or 2 weeks? You beat them 4 or 5 times in one, two days, get the armor and then...? There should be just more, say 5 realistically, every week or so.

Also they have the festivals, even more reason to make ATs permanent or just more of them.
a lot of people don't have the time or inclination to fight an AT elder 5 times in a week, let alone 2 days. them rotating 5 would be nice, but it'd effectively put the entire roster on a two-week clock, which would be a little weird

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That too. If I didn't get lucky and had gotten Taroth "Fire" in my first or second KT run I'd still have to use Calamity Reaver or some such... Which isn't *that* bad, but the white / blue sharpness on the Taroth makes me just not having to care about it at all, in turn the always available gear should just be a little bit better.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
According to the modding community, there is some evidence in the game files that capcom will be moving all the current event quests into permanent quests. I'd expect that to happen when iceborne releases or before.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, but there's no real reason to rotate content with obsolete rewards, as Archon said. and i imagine the playerbase would not be thrilled if old events were contending with new events for space in the rotation. I'd imagine (and hope) that they'd keep the rotation model active for iceborne-specific content while at least unlocking some of the AT stuff for general play.

that said i haven't played many of the GaaS giants so i dont know what the convention is for this stuff

Remember that new players are always getting into the game and Capcom is deliberately courting new players with Iceborne with attractive deep discounts to the base game and the various bundles with Iceborne. So their view is that these quests are obsolete to veteran players but they're new to new players.

I'm not defending the practice, I think it's dumb, I'm just taking a guess as to Capcom's reasoning.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I'm really jealous of everyone who plays MHW on PC (at least until Iceborne comes). The mods for this game are fantastic, being able to change Blos CB to look like Odo CB alone is worth $15 to me.

Blos CB is ugly as hell.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that new players are always getting into the game and Capcom is deliberately courting new players with Iceborne with attractive deep discounts to the base game and the various bundles with Iceborne. So their view is that these quests are obsolete to veteran players but they're new to new players.

I'm not defending the practice, I think it's dumb, I'm just taking a guess as to Capcom's reasoning.
At the same time though, one of the main reasons (I assume) that the events rotate in the first place is so that players are more likely to find other people doing them when they play multiplayer. If all of the events are up all the time, the player base is diluted and it'll be much harder to, say, get a full 16/16 KT lobby because a bunch of people will have done it and won't want to do it again.

But when Iceborne launches and most/all of the rewards become obsolete, the player base will get diluted in the exact same way. HR Kulve could be available, but a MASSIVE number of people won't bother even if it's their only chance to fighter her for the next month because there's no reason to fight her once you get far enough in Master Rank.

Pretty much all of the HR events will be exactly like the LR events, where no one bothers with them once they beat LR and players get tired of seeing the same events taking up space on the board.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I for one as a new player am slightly pissed about how they handle this, and if you're on holidays or something when there's a "festival" you're screwed and have to wait another year?!

That's a a good way to make me hate your game and your company tbh.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
is there anything that matters that you really have to wait a year for? I really like them having season-specific layered armor and stuff, if it's just about that. it's nice to have some fun things be rare or situation-specific

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you're on holidays or something when there's a "festival" you're screwed and have to wait another year?!

I get the frustration but I would note the festival lasts like a month and there are five of them every year (spring, summer, fall, winter, anniversary), not just one.

xclk07

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Coincidentally, the event page has refreshed and it looks like we are getting every quest from 7/25 to 8/29 for a pre-IB "fest" of some sort. Sooooo, you'll have over a full month to get everything you want!

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I for one as a new player am slightly pissed about how they handle this, and if you're on holidays or something when there's a "festival" you're screwed and have to wait another year?!

That's a a good way to make me hate your game and your company tbh.
Nothing is really that important in the festivals. The only significant armor is the Gala hat, and you can build around the lack of it if you need to.

I started playing in Fall and the gear I actually want the most is the summer diver gear, but at least I'll have a chance to get it this summer.

I'm actually a big apologist for Capcom when it comes to this game - surprisingly, because MVCI was my biggest gaming disappointment ever. They've offered so much additional stuff for free that any western dev would have nickel and dimed us for that I can't be too mad at some of their more bizarre design decisions.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome the the live-service future !
Thank you!

No really, one reason I play this is that it's not online only, I'm kinda done with playing games, collecting stuff etc and then have everything taken away when the "service" inevitably shuts down...

Although it's still kinda questionable what would happen in MHW's case of course...

I get the frustration but I would note the festival lasts like a month and there are five of them every year (spring, summer, fall, winter, anniversary), not just one.

Right, it's still easy to miss one or two, from what I'm gathering it's mostly QoL stuff, but not sure.

Nothing is really that important in the festivals. The only significant armor is the Gala hat, and you can build around the lack of it if you need to.

I started playing in Fall and the gear I actually want the most is the summer diver gear, but at least I'll have a chance to get it this summer.

I'm actually a big apologist for Capcom when it comes to this game - surprisingly, because MVCI was my biggest gaming disappointment ever. They've offered so much additional stuff for free that any western dev would have nickel and dimed us for that I can't be too mad at some of their more bizarre design decisions.

Yeah, good points, and seems Capcom is listening (to me) for once! o_O

Of course, I'll be on holiday (with questionable internet) in August...
(so we'll see what I can grab)

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you!

No really, one reason I play this is that it's not online only, I'm kinda done with playing games, collecting stuff etc and then have everything taken away when the "service" inevitably shuts down...

Although it's still kinda questionable what would happen in MHW's case of course...

Right, it's still easy to miss one or two, from what I'm gathering it's mostly QoL stuff, but not sure.

Yeah, good points, and seems Capcom is listening (to me) for once! o_O

Of course, I'll be on holiday (with questionable internet) in August...
(so we'll see what I can grab)

MHW while not online only is absolutely live service game.

The whole limited time festival/event is pretty much to entice people to go back to the game even if they are already "done" with the game (pretty much taken from MMORPG book). MHW is simply not as aggressive as other live service game, you don't miss much if you skip them.

I'm playing Nioh rn, primarily single player game, and it have some light live service element in the form of rotating daily mission.

Embrace the live service future !

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How the heck do I get red orbs now?
Is the Dante stuff even worth it for girls? Last time I checked he was a dude... *facepalm*

And yeah, I like that they change it up and "timed exclusive" rewards etc, I'm just saying it should be more... It's not really fun hunting the same 2 monsters for a week, and the other hunts are really more training than anything... Give me 4 ATs / per week, Capcom, I know you're listening (reading)!

Tyvm