• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Two and a half hours from this post, Capcom is doing an Iceborne panel at Comic-Con, but it remains to be seen if anything new will be revealed. I don't think it's being streamed in any way.
I'm not sure what they're even going to cover. They covered just about everything from the Glavenus trailer with the developer discussion, they had all of those Game Informer bits about behind-the-scenes stuff, and we'd have seen a new trailer by now if there was going to be one (and the last trailer wasn't that long ago).

It'd have to be something new but not important enough to warrant its own trailer, like revealing Giginox or some other returning non-flagship and not much else.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

Based on statement from community managers its more a benefit for attendees. Saying you dont want to miss it

Maybe they will have an updated demo with a glavenus quest? Otherwise Im not sure we can expect much else since they arent livestreaming

i suppose keep an eye on any community attendees and their twitter accounts.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
31 minutes 59 seconds, 1 cart, tons of mega pot, max pot, bombs, powders, and seeds later finally beat AT Nergi.

Dumbest moment. (Edit : the more I see it, the more I don't understand why I get close to it instead of backing away, the hitbox doesn't help either).

hyGbT5Q.jpg

Coolest moment.

76RuXac.jpg

Shieldspire Bash palico gadget whistle is surprisingly good, it can stagger Nergi 3 times in a row.

Now to do it again 4 more time :/

The final third of the hunt is super rough especially once he got to his nest ( I spam Crystalburst and Flashpod to delay him going back to his nest as long as possible).

Yeah I love the game and have 700-800 hours in, have solo'd everything that I can to this point.. I'm sure this is totally doable but just not feeling the interest now. Either way I know I wasn't geared optimally, but I also didn't get to the hard phase. It was just an impulsive quick fight to check out DLSS. I was disappointed at 3440x1440.

Tweaked a muscle in my shoulder this morning so I won't be back at it for a bit if at all.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since this fucking dumb "DLSS" patch my game drops regularly 10-20 fps for no reason whatsoever.

That's how they get you to but new cards every year, isn't it?

I seriously hope this is a bug they'll fix... (doubtful though)

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Boot anyone who runs Defense Boost or doesn't have at least Health Boost 2.

Defense Boost is the first indicator that the player doesn't know what he/she is doing.

No Weakness Exploit on anything that isn't Luna or Lavasioth for the majority of weapons is the second.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how AT Nerg would be with insect glaive, sorta using the same tactics as for AT Xeno. Might have to try it.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this means we'll have more monsters to fight around the Rotten Vale acid pools than just Vaal.

Edit:
D_3IFczUwAA9xUp.jpg:large

Looks pretty sick.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boot anyone who runs Defense Boost or doesn't have at least Health Boost 2.

Defense Boost is the first indicator that the player doesn't know what he/she is doing.

No Weakness Exploit on anything that isn't Luna or Lavasioth for the majority of weapons is the second.
Bu, buu, but my tank build??!!

In any case my first AT nerg wasn't a disaster, but no success either...

I carted once because I got somehow stun locked on the floor with 50% health and of course the AI took advantage of that... and then someone else carted twice for what at least looked like bull shit reasons to me...

Should I run anything against heat / fire other than cooldrinks in this? Seems half the time he's hiding in lava where you can't really attack him.

Otherwise seems still to be the same big baby hedgehog as always.

Basically the patterns for AT hunts are always the same, either you have a good healer or at least a very skilled team that dishes out a lot of damage, otherwise it's going to be veeery long and tedious...

Or very short lol

Edit: Lmao it's like you guys said, someone always carts...

And what new move? The 360 sweep? Just took out two soldiers... I don't know, just don't get hit, also Divine Blessing.

I noticed, you can lure him out of that lava "cave" with some crystal burst shots, I don't get why people don't do this? I rather fight him in the open...

Last edited:

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

I noticed, you can lure him out of that lava "cave" with some crystal burst shots, I don't get why people don't do this? I rather fight him in the open...

Even at the end you can lure Nergi out of that small caver area into the open bit with the pillars.

There is no way of getting out of this combo especially when your tools are out...

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017

In any case my first AT nerg wasn't a disaster, but no success either...

I carted once because I got somehow stun locked on the floor with 50% health and of course the AI took advantage of that... and then someone else carted twice for what at least looked like bull shit reasons to me...

Should I run anything against heat / fire other than cooldrinks in this? Seems half the time he's hiding in lava where you can't really attack him.

Otherwise seems still to be the same big baby hedgehog as always.

Basically the patterns for AT hunts are always the same, either you have a good healer or at least a very skilled team that dishes out a lot of damage, otherwise it's going to be veeery long and tedious...

Or very short lol

Edit: Lmao it's like you guys said, someone always carts...

And what new move? The 360 sweep? Just took out two soldiers... I don't know, just don't get hit, also Divine Blessing.

Honestly solo seems to be your best bet for AT Nergi. You can do some dirty stuff like spamming megabomb (I used 10 megabomb in a single run, that's a nice free 2000 damage).

Or if you are on your last cart and already in nest phase, only fight him when you have Temporal on (from my experience, it only took around two Temporal duration to kill him once he goes back to nest).

Also eat for Felyne Moxie and/or use Luna weapon for Guts. Use MegaArmorskin/Demonskin, Demon/HardshellPowder, Might/Adamant Seeds. Personally I also find Speed Eating to be amazing.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And why don't people do that then? They follow him in that lava cave and then they die.

Do they not understand you can kinda choose where to fight him...?

I mean I really tried my best but obviously he won't come if all three other players are waiting in the lava cave like lemmings for their quick and certain death?

^sorry I don't really want to sound over dramatic, I just don't get it, that would make the fight so much easier imo >.>

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
My first attempt at the AT Nergi solo:

It felt as if Nergigante used that quick upwards hop into a downward slam with increasing frequency as the fight progressed (not to be confused with the huge divebomb, too slow to be an issue), and that led him to basically pseudo-comboing me to death on two occasions at around halfway mark, catching me while I tried to sheathe and drink up. I'll have to rethink how I fight him, because his belly was more or less where I mostly fought with my HH (I know, masochist, but that's my "main"), and that is now really unsafe with that jump. Maybe there are attacks I can bait him to using more often while in front.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly solo seems to be your best bet for AT Nergi. You can do some dirty stuff like spamming megabomb (I used 10 megabomb in a single run, that's a nice free 2000 damage).

Or if you are on your last cart and already in nest phase, only fight him when you have Temporal on (from my experience, it only took around two Temporal duration to kill him once he goes back to nest).

Also eat for Felyne Moxie and/or use Luna weapon for Guts. Use MegaArmorskin/Demonskin, Demon/HardshellPowder, Might/Adamant Seeds. Personally I also find Speed Eating to be amazing.
Ar8Hs2e.png

Also that tank build in the video will not work against AT Nerg.

OH and abuse the hell out of the first two falling rocks where you meet him! That should be a requirement for every run.

Ah, yeah, I know most of these tricks... thanks tho!

Well to be honest I don't enjoy playing this game alone at all, it's too repetitive, with other players you never know what happens and every hunt feels different, you know?

I think I had just bad luck so far - prime example I think only in one run someone managed to use the falling rocks.

But I also get the feeling this might be better done alone if my luck doesn't change soon.

Ugh, I dread it tho, AT Luna took two tries each almost 50 minutes long... lol :/

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Aside from EX Behemoth, there's not really a fight in the game where I like having a tank in my party. Gunlance can do it okay since there's a type of Gunlance that doesn't need any offensive skills, but for other weapons I'm just assuming the person wants to get carried since their damage output will be so low and they aren't contributing heal support.

The monster gets more chance to cart you the longer a hunt goes for.

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I've been and seen a Lance topping damage charts with a defense-oriented build, but that's more Guard/Guard Up/Evade Window stuff than, like, Divine Blessing or Defense Boost, neither of which I run on anything. There are some fights where getting to stay right on top of the monster all the time lets you out-damage anyone else. dunno if that counts as "tank", though. I definitely never find myself wishing my team had someone who...believed they were a tank

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Aside from EX Behemoth, there's not really a fight in the game where I like having a tank in my party. Gunlance can do it okay since there's a type of Gunlance that doesn't need any offensive skills, but for other weapons I'm just assuming the person wants to get carried since their damage output will be so low and they aren't contributing heal support.

The monster gets more chance to cart you the longer a hunt goes for.

I'll take Gunlance/Lance users that have 'low' damage but can survive the entire hunt than a super aggressive player that triple cart to AT Nergi divebomb once their Temporal is out....

Still salty I wasted 25 minutes x 4 hunt against AT Nergi yesterday. Everytime AT Nergi did the super divebomb I always pray to gog the non-Lance/GL player managed to sheathe and superman dive in time :/

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I think I did 10 or so attempts...

This isn't aimed at anyone here, just generally, I'm sick of all the "max dps" talk, not only are those usually the ones carting (in my experience), it's also just soooo boring when everyone runs the same couple of pieces...

I really like to try out stuff, I just made a poison sword build and if anything, I think it will help bringing nerg down, also from experience, sometimes just changing up your gear helps, even if it doesn't apparently make sense.

I'd also fit in wide range but I don't really seem to have slots left for that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! That's what did it, I knew it!!!!!!

2 people only, me and someone else, Taroth Sword POISON and what appeared to be a TANK gun lance finally did it!!

After 42 minutes, 42 seconds! :p

Bombs used 6, flash 12, items probably hundreds... faints 2 (me, of course... the last part was exhilarating to say the least)

But this is exactly what I like about MH, it's hard, but fair and when you finally get it it's so cool...!

DSC_2533ed.png

The Nerg Killer 😁

Last edited:

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Y-day i got FOUR ''Crit Boost'' deco's in like a couple of hours, now i couldn't sleep so i logged on and third hunt of the day? MIGHTY BOW BAAAAYBY

Diablo's will forever be my favorite monster for that.

Now i just need, Mind's Eye, Forceshot, and a few Tenderizer Jewels and i'm set.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can you be HR 350, have a HBG and cart within the first minute lol

I'd be too embarrassed to ever play again tbh, but to each their own as they say!

OK, people really don't know you don't have to fight him in the lava cave wow.
I guess I'll have to try alone, shame I probably can't use my poison sword.

Maybe I can poison him and then switch to fire? Hmm.

EDIT: found this, why is he using Empress Styx for the first (survival) build?

DSC_2537.jpg

I'll try the DPS build too, with Spark, I already noticed it's super good against normal Nerg, but yeah just curious, why Styx??

... Ah, I see, because it has 2 slots, right?

Last edited:

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I think I did 10 or so attempts...

This isn't aimed at anyone here, just generally, I'm sick of all the "max dps" talk, not only are those usually the ones carting (in my experience), it's also just soooo boring when everyone runs the same couple of pieces...

I really like to try out stuff, I just made a poison sword build and if anything, I think it will help bringing nerg down, also from experience, sometimes just changing up your gear helps, even if it doesn't apparently make sense.

I'd also fit in wide range but I don't really seem to have slots left for that.
you're having conversations with your pubs about how to build, then watching them cart? you must be having a very different experience in this game than I've ever had—I rarely talk to the people I queue with about builds, even on the level of whether it's good to max DPS or not. or are you saying that you've run into people from this board in-game and watched them cart? or, maybe, is it possible that you're projecting?

trying stuff is great, I don't think anyone is opposed to that. in terms of actual damage contribution, though, if you aren't running damage meters you unfortunately have no idea how much you're actually contributing. I'm not endorsing it, I don't think it's great, I think it's a complicated aspect of the game—on the one hand I think it does a lot to prevent people from tilting; on the other, I think it makes people have a very inflated idea of how good they are or how much they do compared to others. I do think it helps people value non-damage factors like KO's and status applications, but obviously those considerations only apply to some weapons.

for me, the real fun and interest in the game is in getting better at the mechanical portion of the game. I like to tweak stuff a bit, but I don't find running an elemental Hammer build to be meaningfully different from running a meta Hammer build—it's still the same moveset, the numbers are just lower. there are some exceptions—experimenting with non-SAED-heavy CB builds has been super interesting—but in general, the stuff that engages me in the game happens in the hunt itself.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

Might give this a try against super nerg lol!

I made a build using some of the ideas in that vid :O

Mostly with the evade extender and divine blessing. Questioning whether to keep them both at maxed..

EDIT
and with the last party I was in..

Not bothering with the layered set I ain't doing anymore of these traumatic AT runs...
3acMMp1.png

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take Gunlance/Lance users that have 'low' damage but can survive the entire hunt than a super aggressive player that triple cart to AT Nergi divebomb once their Temporal is out....

Still salty I wasted 25 minutes x 4 hunt against AT Nergi yesterday. Everytime AT Nergi did the super divebomb I always pray to gog the non-Lance/GL player managed to sheathe and superman dive in time :/
Yeah, I'll take a fight being a little slower over a failed hunt any day.

There's no way to guarantee randoms are skilled enough, so I'd rather they play to stay alive first, worry about DPS later.

I do think the series could rethink the skills some to better allow for different playstyles to be more viable though. I just wish the mentality of not optimizing DPS is playing the game "wrong" wasn't so common, it makes playing with randoms more of a gamble(at least we can finally play most postgame content solo without multiplayer health to avoid that).

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's using Styx for Razor Sharp too.

Ah nice.

I made a build using some of the ideas in that vid :O

Mostly with the evade extender and divine blessing. Questioning whether to keep them both at maxed..

EDIT
and with the last party I was in..

Not bothering with the layered set I ain't doing anymore of these traumatic AT runs...
3acMMp1.png

Lol, I think tanks are definitely valuable - I mean incidentally the only successful run so far was with that lance tank and we were only 2!

I guess there is no layered set on PC? Which makes me quite happy, not a fan of anime crossovers in my anime games! :D

Rutger Completely agree! It's also more fun knowing you can completely "tank" Nerg (with a LS build mind you) and not get one shotted, otherwise I'd have zero tickets, with this (poison build) I at least got one so far. :)

Also holy shit if that's the "defensive" build (Empress build)...

Now I know why so many people use Styx (never did, only Fire and some other Kjarr / Taroth ones mostly)

I think the build is really good too, was able to copy it 1:1

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Had some time and finally reached HR 50.

I have been able to build some parts of the bemeoth armor. I tried it a few times with groups but like some said it´s easier alone with plunderblade.I also can cut of the tail in Phase 1 no problem.

But the Shearclaws are impossible for me to get, can´t seem to break even a single foot. I need them for two of the set items but it´s not easy.

How do I get a ticket for handicraft charm 3? I read something about doing 7 tempered hunts (threat level 2) so a optional quest is popping up "New World Sky, New World Flower", but it doesn´t seem to trigger. How do I achive that or is there a better way?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Had some time and finally reached HR 50.

I have been able to build some parts of the bemeoth armor. I tried it a few times with groups but like some said it´s easier alone with plunderblade.I also can cut of the tail in Phase 1 no problem.

But the Shearclaws are impossible for me to get, can´t seem to break even a single foot. I need them for two of the set items but it´s not easy.

How do I get a ticket for handicraft charm 3? I read something about doing 7 tempered hunts (threat level 2) so a optional quest is popping up "New World Sky, New World Flower", but it doesn´t seem to trigger. How do I achive that or is there a better way?

make an armour set that breaks parts and equip that rare item mantle?

according to wiki MHW

• Conditions: HR 15 or higher
  • Unlock Conditions: Hunt 7 different unique tempered monsters (threat level 2 / HR 30)

I guess you can join SOS investigations HR30 ? It's been a while since I last did this but I can recall having issues unlocking some of these quests myself..

Legiana
Odogaron
Lavasioth
Bazelgeuse
Diablos
Black Diablos
Azure Rathalos
Pink Rathian
Uragaan
Rathalos

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breaking the shearclaws is really hard to impossible if you don't have the right build or weapon in my experience, I tried a couple of days without success then someone tried to help me and he didn't really have any luck either - until he used "sleep bombs" and a HBG or LBG?
And I was suddenly swimming in shearclaws...

It's a bit dumb design wise if you ask me if you need such specific things to progress - which the game expects you to find the answers on the internet apparently lol

Yeah, I'm aware there are other ways, point is for me there was *no* way and I've been using a "partbreaker" set already.

pixxelz

Oct 30, 2017
I was dreading fighting AT Luna after getting stomped by AT Nergigante so many times but she's actually quite easy, her nova does an insane amount of damage but other than that she's not much different than her regular tempered version.

Fuck Nergigante though.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Both AT Luna and Nergi (aka Slamfest 2019) should be tweaked a bit. AT Luna's nova deleting you instantly needs fixing, to where if the Blue is anywhere near, you get frame locked and can't Drake nor Jerky out of it, and Nergi's triple slams that just fubars you out of nowhere aren't good design imo.

If they tweaked that, it would make for alot more enjoyable hunts. The difficulty ramp up is already more than fine from Normal to Temp to AT so there's no need having those attacks work the way they are. They don't add anything, aside from frustration, and it's not like you can ''out skill'' it either.

All in all though i'm creeping up on HR 100 now after playing for a couple of weeks and i must say this is the most fun game i have played in a long long long time. Aiming at HR 300+ before IB

Still need quite a few Deco's and ALOT of Aug's given that my plan was to have IG as my second weapon choice, and IG and Bow sharing Aug material...

Still holding out hope for IB adding layered armor options for all the Normal/High rank sets from the base game. I mean from a logical standpoint there is virtually ZERO reason for them not to add it, wouldn't require much work (if any at all to add) and they would recieve a ton of goodwill from the playerbase if they did it.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You definitely can survive AT Supernova with DB3 HEALTH3 FIRE RES3 (not sure the last one does anything tbh) plus Astera Jerky, imo 80% survival chance, for the other 20 % I have no idea :p

Question :

Say I'm using a HBG "Tank - Pierce" built for AT nerg, approximately how many pierce shots do I need? And which mantles / boosters would make the most sense?

I honestly fear the ammo crafting with the HBG... that's what killed me against Xeno lol...

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
I'm talking about the cases where you get frame locked and can't do anything. As in the game won't allow you to use any items even if you are hammering your buttons. Which happens on some occasions with Luna's Nova.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about the cases where you get frame locked and can't do anything. As in the game won't allow you to use any items even if you are hammering your buttons. Which happens on some occasions with Luna's Nova.
Yeah, exactly, that's how she always gets me too. Stunlocked then supernova. gg

Hmm wind pressure makes sense I guess.

HBG QUESTION:

The *only* reason I'm dying is because it like "auto sheaths" all the time usually when Nerg is about to do his super slam.

So how do I avoid this dumb sheathing?

PS: all I'm doing is hold L2, then it sheaths the weapon, I don't get it? It's like I'm accidentally pressing R1...:/

Last edited:

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeap, it keeps doing it :/

I'm not pressing R1 either...

I tried in training room, it never automatically puts the weapon away, but against Nerg all the time even tho I'm actually aiming at him wtf

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok ok I'm getting the hang of it, it's actually easier in a group, because then he isn't attacking me constantly, I didn't cart once... my hunter is still doing the "yeah I don't think you need a shield right now thing" but I'm also getting the hang of that, just don't do sudden turns or stupid dodges or something like that...

I also used sleep which no one cared about, could have easily used bombs on him, but no...

And all 3 carts I was able to watch and predict very nicely where from his "noob killer hop dive"

I mean, just don't get hit by that maybe?

-_-

(half joking btw)

This is the set, I think it's pretty good, doesn't have atk or anything but seems to do decent damage

DSC_2539.jpg

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Still holding out hope for IB adding layered armor options for all the Normal/High rank sets from the base game. I mean from a logical standpoint there is virtually ZERO reason for them not to add it, wouldn't require much work (if any at all to add) and they would recieve a ton of goodwill from the playerbase if they did it.
Seriously. I just got the rainbow pigment and I'd love to mix and match things that aren't useful anymore.

Plus I'd like to keep the looks of some high rank armor into master rank, stuff like the Great Girros that looks better than the new set they are making.