• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaffeemann

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
xhYjM5C.gif
Wow!

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the PC player's angry refuge?

This game being delayed so long hurts the PC community so much. That's twice now I don't get to participate in the hype and discovery of a new MH title. Makes me sad we will probably get all new content delayed as well. Really a blemish on something great.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So with the release of iceborne I need some help, Should I buy MHW: Iceborn or Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on Switch? or eventually buy them both.

Last edited:

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say start with Iceborne. MHGU is great, but it's as easy to get in to as World. There are a lot of quality of life upgrades in World that you're going to miss in MHGU. Can't run while drinking, flexing after drinkings, no weapon tree to plan out what you need in game, etc. Those things aside, there are still countless monsters in MHGU that are not in World. I haven't unlocked G-Rank in GU yet, so I haven't faced some of the monsters 100+ hours in to the game. I love both games for what they are, just know that they're slightly different experiences. But if you love going out and fighting monsters with ridiculously oversized weapons, you can't go wrong with either game.

Check out the GU demo on the Switch to get an idea of the differences between the games.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
gaddam just need a mini crown Barroth which seems to be as hard to find as a gold crown black diablos...

Some of these random party leaders their internet seems really bad which is why I hate doing event runs like the Behemoth one

uteUJZP.gif

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the PC player's angry refuge?

This game being delayed so long hurts the PC community so much. That's twice now I don't get to participate in the hype and discovery of a new MH title. Makes me sad we will probably get all new content delayed as well. Really a blemish on something great.
yeah I'm really stinging over this one. what a bummer.

Oct 29, 2017
Tried the arena quests for the first time today so I could get the brigade layered armor and I had no idea about how they worked, thought it was neat.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
I'm new to the franchise and I just bought the base game on sale. I'm really excited to start, but I was curious: is there any reason to buy Iceborne now too? Like, does having Iceborne unlock new weapon movesets or anything like that?

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Iceborne lets you use the clutch claw immediately, which is apparently a game changer.

If still in the return period, it might save you money to just get the iceborne master edition that comes with the base game.

Mar 22, 2019
Only have the base game at the moment, playing on PS4Pro...and...and I can't stop - I think this is my new obsession. Made it all the way up to where you have to look for tracks for the x3 Elder Dragons but I just keep wanting to redo quests and farm for that sweet insect glaive (my favourite weapon) upgrade.

My worry is I won't play any other games while I just keep playing MHW - and then Iceborne (Waiting for a sale).
How to manage the need to grind and farm?

Also I did my first SOS call with Negereteiretatisitatatai - for the life of me she was kicking my butt all over the place...whats the 'online maxim' with SOS calls? Are there rules? Is it bad to keep doing it?

PS: Love this game :)

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was trying to get my Behemoth set and Lunastra weapon before Iceborne, but I think I'm done until Iceborne drops. I can't deal with how damn awful the multiplayer in this game is, and I heard at the very least that Iceborne makes it so that the monster HP scales back down when people DC from your game.

Also died in a 1 cart Lunastra investigation when it was one hit from dying. Can't even begin to tell you how much I hate the guaranteed cart from an attack that covers an entire room, especially when Lunastra is literally in a room with only one exit. Absolute garbage.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this Defender's gear is kind of busted. I legitimately don't really have to heal.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
So, have monster sizes been datamined from World? I have a suspicion that there are only a few different monster models (3-4 of varying sizes).
Because I feel that I have killed a ton of Teostra of the same size as the one that finally gave me a mini gold crown.

EDIT: same thing for mini crown Kirin. It is finally over.

Last edited:

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
So, have monster sizes been datamined from World? I have a suspicion that there are only a few different monster models (3-4 of varying sizes).
Because I feel that I have killed a ton of Teostra of the same size as the one that finally gave me a mini gold crown.

EDIT: same thing for mini crown Kirin. It is finally over.
The monster models are dynamically scaled by a certain factor if that's what you're asking. So there is just one model.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
finally killed the behemoth! the crew was great, and I wanted to send them my guild card but it seems like you could only send to people in your session?

nuts.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
The further I get the more I realize I have forgotten about MHW since playing it and the more I'm sad I can't transfer my PS4 save to PC. Oh well. Just killed Nergigante, the defender stuff is overpowered.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I just tried my hand at Extremoth for the first time...with randoms...and it ended in fucking success!
These guys were so good! Not only did noone cart but they obviously did enough damage as weel to send the big boy home in like 10-12 minutes!

Again this was my first try online with an SoS.

I expected the worst, and got the best.

So good. :D

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I just tried my hand at Extremoth for the first time...with randoms...and it ended in fucking success!
These guys were so good! Not only did noone cart but they obviously did enough damage as weel to send the big boy home in like 10-12 minutes!

Again this was my first try online with an SoS.

I expected the worst, and got the best.

So good. :D
I mean, you're trying it once most people have end game master rank gear. If you had done it back when everyone was still high rank you would have probably had a much different experience

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The weirdest thing is happening. On PS4 the game won't connect. I get DNS issues, even the update process in the dashboard doesn't work.

Other games are working just fine on the same PS4..

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
So I've literally just started the base game and just killed the Anjantha (sp?) In the ancient forest. It's clear equipment choice is paramount, but how much time should I be spending grinding out for materials to make weapons and armour with elemental effects in the early game?

Taking down the bigger monsters to get materials takes a reasonable amount of time, and having to then do it multiple times to get all the materials needed feels like a pretty hefty grind. Do I need to worry about getting +10 elemental properties at this point, or can I focus on overall attack power for the moment and start worrying about the nuance of stats a bit later on?

I know this is a massive game, and I don't want to get burnt out grinding early monsters before I've really seen the heights of the game, if that makes sense?
I am soloing though, so I probably need every advantage I can get!

Really liking it so far either way.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So I've literally just started the base game and just killed the Anjantha (sp?) In the ancient forest. It's clear equipment choice is paramount, but how much time should I be spending grinding out for materials to make weapons and armour with elemental effects in the early game?
none. everything you get right now is going to become obsolete very quickly. grind up gear if you get stuck on something, otherwise just blast

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
none. everything you get right now is going to become obsolete very quickly. grind up gear if you get stuck on something, otherwise just blast

I could use that defender gear they game me at the start I guess, as that should help me tank through the story I suppose?
Feels like that would cheapen the experience though...
Either way, I'll worry less about the grind and see how far I can plough through!

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
The Defender gear is primarily meant to fast-track users to finish the main story so you can jump into Iceborne Expansion quickly. And this includes peeps who've already played and finished the story on one platform and wants to jump to another platform.

The game, although it may become challenging at times (like the first wall you hit @Anjanath), is designed and balanced without the Defender gear in mind. If you are enjoying it as-is and the difficulty curve feels right for you, I'd keep playing without the Defender set.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I think you'd be right that the Defender gear might cheapen the experience for you. I think the loop of unlocking new gear, deciding you want to craft it, grinding it up, and finally making it is one of the game's most consistent and motivating pleasures, even if it isn't a super present component of playing through the main story. slapping one set of gear on and not looking at your gear for the following 40 hours (or whatever) might make the game feel a little off-kilter to a newer player. that's just my opinion, though, I have some friends that blasted the MSQ with defender gear and never looked back

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
That's what I'm thinking. this is the first MH I've ever played, and while I know Iceborne is the new shiny expansion people.are moving onto, I feel like the base game still deserves it's due. As I'm soloing it anyway, it's not like im in a rush to catch up with friends or anything, so I may as well take my time!

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What weapon are you using? There are really only a few weapons (e.g. Sword&Shield, Dual Blades) where you should be focusing on elemental, even in late game.

(Elemental res on armour is much more situationally useful, but in low rank at least, you should be focusing just on defence stats.)

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Hi there, quick n00b question: is it possible for my gf and me to play co-op straight from the beginning? Or is there a mandatory single player bit that we both need to do first?

Byronman

Oct 28, 2017
Hi there, quick n00b question: is it possible for my gf and me to play co-op straight from the beginning? Or is there a mandatory single player bit that we both need to do first?
The game is a bit weird on this front : the story is single-player, but you can have people join you on nearly every mission (story, sidequest, event, etc...). The catch is that for story missions, every player must have seen the cutscenes once (generally one at the beginning and another when you encounter the monster the first time) in single player. So what you have to do is play the game solo (each of you) until the game tells you that you can call for help. Then you'll be able to invite each other into the mission.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
The game is a bit weird on this front : the story is single-player, but you can have people join you on nearly every mission (story, sidequest, event, etc...). The catch is that for story missions, every player must have seen the cutscenes once (generally one at the beginning and another when you encounter the monster the first time) in single player. So what you have to do is play the game solo (each of you) until the game tells you that you can call for help. Then you'll be able to invite each other into the mission.

Ah I see, so we'll never see each other in the HUB world? What about exploring? Do you explore or are you just dropped together straight in a closed arena? Thanks.