• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, have not tried him, but with a good group it is probably better.

Would be happy to join you some time! I've got a pretty good handle on it now.

I actually beat Extremoth just a few moments ago with a group of people I randomly met through SOS. We got to final phase second comet on that first random attempt, each of us agreed to keep playing together, and six (!) grueling hours later we made it. What a fucking trip. I think we're monster hunter family now. I am exhausted.

Great sword is absolutely TERRIBLE for this fight. You're just straight up gimping yourself. It's really hard to land a solid hit because his limbs keep moving around, and landing TCS is almost out of the question. If anyone has a backup weapon, use that. Doesn't matter what it is, it's probably better than GS.

Wyvern Ignition as weapon. Ran Drachen set with Lunastra A legs. Then I maxed out vitality, wide range, and weakness exploit. Also slotted in one max might jewel and one crit draw (all I had lol) as well as elementless. Speed eating as my charm. Then during phase 3, I switched out to a pure damage build. After that I switched back to support. If anyone's unlucky enough to only know how to play GS, I hope that will help.

See this is how I know that this game has a camera in my room and is intentionally trying to get me to throw myself off a cliff.

I needed a Xeno'jiva horn for my Invigoration charm. So I start farming her. 4 LONG Xeno'jiva hunts in a row and I get nothing. Not a single one.

My 5th? I got literally 4 fucking horns.

FOUR. OF. THEM.

5hY.gif

Classic monster hunter. The desire sensor always knows what you want most.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be happy to join you some time! I've got a pretty good handle on it now.

I actually beat Extremoth just a few moments ago with a group of people I randomly met through SOS. We got to final phase second comet on that first random attempt, each of us agreed to keep playing together, and six (!) grueling hours later we made it. What a fucking trip. I think we're monster hunter family now. I am exhausted.

Great sword is absolutely TERRIBLE for this fight. You're just straight up gimping yourself. It's really hard to land a solid hit because his limbs keep moving around, and landing TCS is almost out of the question. If anyone has a backup weapon, use that. Doesn't matter what it is, it's probably better than GS.

Wyvern Ignition as weapon. Ran Drachen set with Lunastra A legs. Then I maxed out vitality, wide range, and weakness exploit. Also slotted in one max might jewel and one crit draw (all I had lol) as well as elementless. Speed eating as my charm. Then during phase 3, I switched out to a pure damage build. After that I switched back to support. If anyone's unlucky enough to only know how to play GS, I hope that will help.

I am on PST. I can play in the nights (except Monday and Wednesday).

I did the regular one with a GS. I play a critical draw build and focused on doing mounting damage as the GS aerial attack can do great damage. In the last area is where I had problems as it is not good for aerial attacks so had to play regular GS. I can go LS as that is the other build I know how to play well.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I am on PST. I can play in the nights (except Monday and Wednesday).

I did the regular one with a GS. I play a critical draw build and focused on doing mounting damage as the GS aerial attack can do great damage. In the last area is where I had problems as it is not good for aerial attacks so had to play regular GS. I can go LS as that is the other build I know how to play well.

I'm on CEST (9 hours ahead), so that might be a bit difficult to coordinate. On weekdays, I'll probably either be asleep or out of the house when it's evening in your time zone :/

Regular Behemoth was a pain but ultimately still manageable for me with a GS, but with the extreme version I really felt like I had to be on my game all the time or I would just straight up miss constantly or be wide open for attacks. As for jumping attacks, the strategy we got to eventually was to only mount in DPS phase to get that over as quickly as possible, so we generally avoided doing jumping attacks to save the mount. Funny enough, on our winning run we accidentally got a mount in the second phase and it worked out anyway.

Maybe it's just me of course, but I thought that GS was not a great pick for this, which is why I specced into support to supplement my regular play. Once the tail -- the biggest target -- is off, you've only got the legs left. They are constantly moving, and GS' attacks are mostly vertical so getting them to land is a pain. I think that using LS and especially having foresight slash as well as fade slash is a more optimal choice. But in the end it's whatever you're more comfortable with.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm on CEST (9 hours ahead), so that might be a bit difficult to coordinate. On weekdays, I'll probably either be asleep or out of the house when it's evening in your time zone :/

Regular Behemoth was a pain but ultimately still manageable for me with a GS, but with the extreme version I really felt like I had to be on my game all the time or I would just straight up miss constantly or be wide open for attacks. As for jumping attacks, the strategy we got to eventually was to only mount in DPS phase to get that over as quickly as possible, so we generally avoided doing jumping attacks to save the mount. Funny enough, on our winning run we accidentally got a mount in the second phase and it worked out anyway.

Maybe it's just me of course, but I thought that GS was not a great pick for this, which is why I specced into support to supplement my regular play. Once the tail -- the biggest target -- is off, you've only got the legs left. They are constantly moving, and GS' attacks are mostly vertical so getting them to land is a pain. I think that using LS and especially having foresight slash as well as fade slash is a more optimal choice. But in the end it's whatever you're more comfortable with.

On weekends I can play from 1 pm till night so it could be better. Next week I will be busy all morning with my university classes but after that week I can play in the mornings.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just popping in to remind everyone that Bazelgoose is literally the worst thing to happen to gaming in the history of the universe. That silver scaled sack of poogie droppings takes even the most casual and laid back quest and makes it a fucking nightmare. I just failed a 1 faint Great Girros Hunt. A. GREAT. GIRROS. HUNT. Because that sack of ass decided to come in out of nowhere with no warning and divebomb my teammate when he was paralyzed after Girros had already rolled on him. Killed him. Boom. Mission Failed.

I have not failed a Girros hunt in my ENTIRE TIME PLAYING THE GAME. (almost 200 hours) But now I have thanks to that flying dick. I want whatever creative designer who created him to be thrown into the fires of Mt. Doom for his transgressions and his name forever etched into the gaming wall of shame and misery.

Okay rant over I feel better now lol

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just checking in after running a few dozen Great Chungras missions.

Still no shield (guard, not guard plus) decos or handicraft. I have 7 attack jewels. I have 15 critical boost jewels. I have 8 mighty bow, 5 fungiform, 8 artillery, and pretty much a full complement of most other r7 and 8 jewels.

Not. A. Single. Guard or handicraft jewel.

Update: only 4 hunts after complaining here, I finally got my first Ironwall jewel! Woohoo. That's after getting an additional 2 fungiform jewels.

Desire sensor is too real.

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just popping in to remind everyone that Bazelgoose is literally the worst thing to happen to gaming in the history of the universe. That silver scaled sack of poogie droppings takes even the most casual and laid back quest and makes it a fucking nightmare. I just failed a 1 faint Great Girros Hunt. A. GREAT. GIRROS. HUNT. Because that sack of ass decided to come in out of nowhere with no warning and divebomb my teammate when he was paralyzed after Girros had already rolled on him. Killed him. Boom. Mission Failed.

I have not failed a Girros hunt in my ENTIRE TIME PLAYING THE GAME. (almost 200 hours) But now I have thanks to that flying dick. I want whatever creative designer who created him to be thrown into the fires of Mt. Doom for his transgressions and his name forever etched into the gaming wall of shame and misery.

Okay rant over I feel better now lol
1519385128595.gif

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
Man I wasn't gonna do the Behemoth again after suffering from when it first came to console but I caved in because the armor looks too cool.

Instead of making my own quest I decided to do a S.O.S first just to remember the fight...beat it first try.

I thought "wow everyone is used to this fight on PC, getting this armor is gonna be a breeze", so i start my own quest to finish the mission on my end.....

15 fights and i've gotten to the 3rd area maybe twice.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man I wasn't gonna do the Behemoth again after suffering from when it first came to console but I caved in because the armor looks too cool.

Instead of making my own quest I decided to do a S.O.S first just to remember the fight...beat it first try.

I thought "wow everyone is used to this fight on PC, getting this armor is gonna be a breeze", so i start my own quest to finish the mission on my end.....

15 fights and i've gotten to the 3rd area maybe twice.

Something like this happened to me. I got with a really good group and completed the mission on my first try. Then it came 5 hours of failures after failures. Just went I was going to give up I manage to find two good groups and get the rest of the armor.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Man this Behemoth fight is killer af. I've attempted this fight so many times at this point I don't think I take damage anymore, or it's very rare.

And man KT is robbing me T___T, all she ever gives me are switch axes....why KT, why?! I just want a LBG, LS, or Bow. I did get a couple of nice Charge Blades tho. But 13 different Switch Axes of currently, like damn girl

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
At this point I think I just have to do Behemoth solo. I've run this quest over twenty times with randoms and haven't carted in the last ten. I just want to get rid of this damn Final Fantasy fanfare, it's melting my brain

mathematics

Oct 25, 2017
Join the reddit discord for behemoth help. I also tried to grind it out with randoms. "the randoms can't all be this bad"...oh no...they are worse. I pop in the discord and boom. Two hard carries ready to help clear the quest. Extremoth is not something I feel like I struggling through

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't play in ages. A friend began playing. 70 hours later, I can't get enough of the game, and another friend is joining us!

Tempered Kirin killed last night without too much problem (I did come extra prepared, and found some good teamated - that horse hits like a truck).

I'm wary of the behemot... I'll watch a video beforehand.

Kinda need to get Nergigante's horns, but breaking these is hard. Tried the Radobaan hammer, but randos keep attacking it when I put it to sleep, sadly. I do need to get better with the Hammer though. Weapon is fun, but you are used to Dual Blades and Insect Glaive, it takes a few hunts to adjust (weapons I mained do far, from MHTri to today: Long Sword, Switch Axe, Light Bowgun, Dual Blades, SnS, Insect Glaive, Dual Blades again).

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought this recently and displeased with the overall performance. How is the performance in the Ancient Forest versus the remainder of the areas? I hear Rotten Vale runs poorly. I'm trying to find a good set of compromises of visuals vs performance that I'm satisfied with, and struggling to decide what I want to sacrifice.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I am so bad getting Kinsect buffs.

I've always been a GS guy but need to broaden my horizon and solo AT Xeno. I don't think I can learn it quick enough though. I was able to solo kill KT with GS and I farmed all the mats for the Behemoth armor/glaive with that weapon too. AT Xeno isn't happening on the ground though, at least not with GS.

Turn off the volumetric fog or whatever. Huge performance boost with almost no impact.

I actually think it looks better without that too.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Just bought this recently and displeased with the overall performance. How is the performance in the Ancient Forest versus the remainder of the areas? I hear Rotten Vale runs poorly. I'm trying to find a good set of compromises of visuals vs performance that I'm satisfied with, and struggling to decide what I want to sacrifice.
What are your CPU, graphics card and at what resolution are you trying to play?

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

SpecialK really helps too.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
SpecialK really helps too.

Using it. I have a 6700K and a 1070. Trying to play at 60 FPS at 1440p. Actually I've given up on 60 FPS and I've locked it to 45 via Gsync. I already have volume rendering off, AO to mid; and SH diffuse to mid. I'm debating whether I want to keep LOD to high or drop it to variable: Ancient Forest's big open area uses up 99% GPU usage with LOD on high, so if anything happens, it tends to stutter. Setting LOD to variable drops usage to the 80s so I have some cushion but the pop-in is awful.

Last edited:

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I put in around 100 hours on my X using mostly the Hammer and loved it. I picked up MH:W for PC on the cheap a couple months back and started over (kinda begrudgingly at first but the PC version very quickly made me forget about those 100 hours on console). I have played about 20 hours and I somehow just discovered the glory that is the Gunlance. How on earth did I miss out on the beauty until now???

Gestahl

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I put in around 100 hours on my X using mostly the Hammer and loved it. I picked up MH:W for PC on the cheap a couple months back and started over (kinda begrudgingly at first but the PC version very quickly won me over) and have played about 20 hours and I somehow just discovered the glory that is the Gunlance. How on earth did I miss out on the beauty until now???
It's a lance that shoots explosions that do guaranteed damage and shields make you virtually invincible to 90% of the game and yet it's 13th in popularity. I can count the number of times I've failed missions through personal carting on one hand with the thing and I'm at HR60

Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game had cross-play and -save.
Just picked up the PC version, because I had the MH itch again and I needed a familiar game to relax a bit, and it feels so good to play at locked 60.
I dread going back to the PS4 to play Iceborne, because all my friends are playing there.

BTW, the Discord invite links doesn't seem to work anymore

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Picked this up in the Steam sale, it's incredibly fun and I'm kind of addicted to it after a slightly rocky start. Hunting each monster is just awesome. Haven't played online yet at all, I have a feeling that the online aspect will really make the game come alive. I've never played a MMORPG but I get the impression that this has an MMORPG feel to it.

I've been using the bow, and I've really got into rhythm with it. I assume that somewhere up the upgrade tree I'll get a really gnarly god level bow?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Picked this up in the Steam sale, it's incredibly fun and I'm kind of addicted to it after a slightly rocky start. Hunting each monster is just awesome. Haven't played online yet at all, I have a feeling that the online aspect will really make the game come alive. I've never played a MMORPG but I get the impression that this has an MMORPG feel to it.

I've been using the bow, and I've really got into rhythm with it. I assume that somewhere up the upgrade tree I'll get a really gnarly god level bow?
the weapons don't really change that much as you go down their upgrade trees. the numbers get bigger; for a bow, the coatings you can use might change around a bit. I think the largest vectors for player improvement are mostly player-dependent, not character-dependent—stuff like skill, experience with weapon, experience fighting a given monster, experience on a given map, etc. will all yield way more impactful changes to gameplay than the weapon upgrades. you definitely will get better weapons, but the difference might not be as big as you're imagining

the big gear scaling comes from skill points. for a Bow, one very impactful skill is Constitution—because of how the Bow's charge/dash system works, it scales incredibly well off of Stamina. getting to the point where you can constantly be dashing does wonders for your damage and mobility.

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Kind of but not really. MH weapons are a game of inches. Disregarding elemental damage, affinity, or coating options, the highest raw damage bow in the game has 3x the damage of the weakest bow.

Most of the times you upgrade a weapon, unless it becomes a new type because of the upgrades needing materials from entirely new monster, you'll only get like 10-20% damage increase each time.

But the thing also is, that 10-20% matters and snowballs

The monsters in the game flinch and fall over from regular damage, so if you get just a bit stronger, while learning to fight the monster better, these openings will just start coming and coming until it feels like you're bullying the giant monster.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Am I crazy, or do I not see where to put skill points or how I find them? I've just been upgrading my gear and weapons, I didn't realize there were skill points I could apply to my character.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Oh, I see. I went ahead and made the tobi kodachi hat with Constitution, hopefully that will help. The pink t-rex has been my first real wall here, I died to him 4 times already.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Ugh, god damn, I returned to this game and the high level hunts while I search for the Rathian tracks are a pain in the ass...I keep whittling these guys down, but then they leave the area. I guess I'm not doing enough damage? What's the ideal equipment for an archer at this point in the game? I'm using the tobi kadachi bow, upgraded as far as I can get it right now.

Carm

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
Hopefully the right pc thread.

Does anyone know if you can acquire Summer Twilight or Spring Blossom Tickets during this Appreciation Fest? If you can, do you know which quests?

Googling it seems last year maybe you couldn't?

Edit: Whoops, noticed on the news page, I may have missed out on those from earlier in December.

Last edited: