• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
MTtgFGH.png

Steam Store Page | PC release OT | Iceborne OT | Bug reporting | News/announcements

The system requirements have been updated slightly since the base game, and Capcom has also added a few notes on how to expect the game to perform at minimum/recommended settings. See below.

System Requirements - ICEBORNE said:
Minimum:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 4460 or Core™ i3 9100F / AMD FX™-6300 or Ryzen™ 3 3200G
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA®GeForce®GTX 760 or GTX1050 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x or RX 560
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 48 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or later)
Additional Notes: - These specs allow for the game to be played in 1080p/30fps with graphics settings at "Low". - 64-bit processor and operating system are required. - Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) and a 4GB VRAM GPU (graphics board or video card) are required for DirectX 12 API.

Recommended:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 or Core™ i3 8350 or Core™ i3 9350F / AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X or Ryzen™ 5 3400G
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or GTX 1650 / AMD Radeon™ RX 480 or RX 570
Storage: 48 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or later)
Additional Notes: - These specs allow for the game to be played in 1080p/30fps with graphics settings at "High". - 64-bit processor and operating system are required. - Windows 10 (Version 1809 or later) and a 4GB VRAM GPU (graphics board or video card) are required for DirectX 12 API.

Minimum:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, 3.20GHz or AMD FX™-6300
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x (VRAM 2GB)
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to "Low"

Recommended:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz or Intel® Core™ i3 8350 4GHz or AMD Ryzen™ 5 1500X
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 (VRAM 3GB) or AMD Radeon™ RX 570 (VRAM 4GB)
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound (DirectX® 9.0c or better)
Additional Notes: 1080p/30fps when graphics settings are set to "High"

GPU Drivers:
Nvidia 441.87
AMD 20.1.1

Benchmarks:
pcgameshardware.de
pcgameshardware.de (for Iceborne!)
back2gaming.com
gamegpu.com
computerbase.de

Iceborne performance guide by RPS:
Monster Hunter: World performance guide - Get your PC Iceborne ready

Graphics settings:
Vsync: on, off
Frame Rate: 30, 60, no limit
Resolution Scaling: low, mid, high, variable (prioritize resolution), variable (prioritize frame rate)
Texture Quality: 256, 512, 1024, full (+ optional high-res texture pack)
Ambient Occlusion: off, low, mid, high
Volume Rendering Quality: off, low, mid, high, highest, variable
Shadow Quality: low, mid, high
Anti-Aliasing: off, FXAA, TAA, TAA + FXAA
LOD Bias: low, mid, high, variable
Max LOD level: -1, no limit
Foliage sway: on, off
Subsurface scattering: on, off
Screen Space Reflection: on, off
Anisotropic Filtering: low, mid, high
Water Reflection: on, off
SH Diffuse Quality: low, mid, high
Dynamic Range: 32-bit, 64-bit
Z-Prepass: on, off

The Digital Foundry video below goes into what the graphics settings do and how they affect performance.

Tweaks, troubleshooting, etc:
  • Check the bug reporting thread by Capcom CS on Steam for some initial troubleshooting suggestions.
  • You can find graphics_option.ini and config.ini under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Monster Hunter World to change graphics settings out of the game.
  • To cap the frame rate at a different level than the options given in-game, download RTSS. It's also included by default in MSI Afterburner, if you have that installed already.
  • Some players have reported corrupted saves upon starting the game for the first time after the Iceborne patch (or, in the past, after the final story mission). You can mitigate this by backing up your save file regularly. By default, it can be found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\[user code]\582010\remote.
  • You can also access and back up your cloud save without having the game installed by going to this page on Steam. (Credit to Madventure on Metacouncil).
  • Monster Hunter: World mods can be found on nexusmods.com. Use at your own risk.
  • Our very own Vuze blessed us with a mod that allows you to have Switch Pro Controller button prompts in the game (updated for Iceborne!).
  • Force anisotropic filtering x16 through your GPU control panel for visibly better texture filtering over the maximum in-game setting. For comparison: https://www.resetera.com/posts/11682103/
  • The game seems to have a memory leak since the Iceborne update. Whitelisting MH World's folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Monster Hunter World) or Steam in Windows Defender (or disabling Defender entirely) may alleviate these issues. (Credit to CuddlyCurbstomp on Reddit, via Cordelia)
  • Pulling up the executable closure window while the game is running may alleviate some of the CPU usage that the game's been experiencing since the Iceborne update. (Credit to wavefile on MHW's Steam forum, via Arcus Felis) -- not necessary since recent patches
  • Similar to the above-mentioned method (but without some of the drawbacks), pressing alt-enter to go windowed in the main menu, getting the executable closure window up, pressing no, and pressing alt-enter to go back fullscreen may improve performance. (Credit to RobotPirateMoses on reddit, via Cordelia) -- not necessary since recent patches
  • Kaldaien released a modified version of Special K to address some of the issues in this game, manage frame limiting and a host of other performance options. It now works for both DX11 and 12 modes -- though the latter version is cut back feature-wise. (Credit to Kaldaien, via la_briola)
If any other performance tips come up, I'll add them here if you @me

Known issues at Iceborne launch:
The following bugs have been discovered in the Ver. 10.12.00 released on Thursday, January 9 17:00 UTC. We are currently working on a patch to fix these issues.

1. Slight display lag while DirectX12 API is enabled.

Issue:
Depending on your PC settings, your screen may lag 0.1 to 1 seconds with the DirectX12 API setting enabled.

Condition in which the issue occurs:
- Graphics Option "DirectX12 API" is enabled.
- PCs with slower CPU speed.

2. Certain graphics cards may cause the screen to freeze.

Issue:
Depending on your PC settings, the game screen may freeze randomly. The duration in which your screen may freeze could vary from 1 to 5 seconds. Although it is rare that this occurrs, it may happen more frequently with certain PC settings.

Condition in which the issue occurs:
- "DirectX12 API" is disabled (DirectX11).
- More likely to occur on NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU, with VRAM below 3GB.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your patience while we sort out these issues. Please wait for more info on the fixes.

For other questions, please visit the official Monster Hunter World: Iceborne support portal below.

http://www.capcom.com/mhwsupport/

Capcom on Iceborne launch performance issues:
Issue Summary
Thursday, Jan. 9th UTC
We are currently investigating an issue that was brought to our attention with regards to the VU10.12.00 Update that was released earlier today.

Details of the issue
Some users have been experiencing significantly reduced frame rate under certain configuration and environment after applying the latest VU10.12.00 Update.

Please rest assured we're actively investigating the matter at hand and will provide an update as soon as we have more information.

For those who are experiencing the frame rate issue, please contact support below. We may need additional details from you that may help identify the root cause.

http://www.capcom.com/mhwsupport/

Apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused and we appreciate your patience.

[Note]
You can check to see if your game files are causing this issue by following the steps outlined below.

How to check your game files:
1. Log in to Steam and go to your "Library" tab
2. Right click on the game in your list, and click "Properties..."
3. In the Properties window, click the "LOCAL FILES" tab, then click "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES..."
4. Wait for the validation process to complete

In some instances, the issue can be resolved by validating your game files and then adjusting them to the appropriate files if necessary.

[Thanks, JaceC, for a template for these threads]

Last edited:

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
definitely would like some explanations on some of these settings and what they do

also, what's the best AA solution? the game shimmers no matter what i use...

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's Volume quality rendering, why is it so expansive and what are the differences between low and v. high?

Dictator,we need you testing and expertise knowledge asap :) Everybody is so confused about this game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like it's worth mentioning, at least, that the Ancient Forest is by far the worst performing area in the game. Just because you have drops down to the 50s there doesn't mean you might not have a locked 60 elsewhere.

...on another note, (unfortunately) I feel like folks have been jumping the gun when it comes to turning off volume rendering. Man, some parts of the game look wrong with it off - especially when it's raining. Shame it's such a performance hog.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
definitely would like some explanations on some of these settings and what they do

also, what's the best AA solution? the game shimmers no matter what i use...

It's not very clear to me either, but I did notice a signficant performance drop when I disabled 'Z-prepass' on my system. Changing SH Diffuse quality seems to do something with how far away objects are drawn, from what I could gather. It seemed very minimal in the area that I tested it, but it has a serious performance hit if you set it to high.

There are descriptions at the bottom of the screen when you hover over/select certain graphics settings, but they're not that useful if you don't know the terminology.

As for anti aliasing, TAA and FXAA are both kind of shit in their own way. FXAA washes out the entire image, while TAA leaves a lot of aliasing and washes the image out in motion as well. Pick your poison. I went for FXAA, but it's just painful all-around. This has the worst AA offering I've seen in a very, very long time.

Diamond0892

Nov 10, 2017
Can I ask doubts in this thread? If it's not allowed,, please delete this message.

1- Yesterday, I read about the problem with CPUs without the FMA3 instruction or something like that. Has it been solved? I don't know if mine has that instruction.

2- I have never upgraded the graphic card drivers, so I don't know how it works. Do I just install the Game Ready Drivers for Nvidia? I think my laptop has a GX 1060 Ti card. Is it compatible with the driver? I haven't seen it in the official website

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask doubts in this thread? If it's not allowed,, please delete this message.

1- Yesterday, I read about the problem with CPUs without the FMA3 instruction or something like that. Has it been solved? I don't know if mine has that instruction.

2- I have never upgraded the graphic card drivers, so I don't know how it works. Do I just install the Game Ready Drivers for Nvidia? I think my laptop has a GX 1060 Ti card. Is it compatible with the driver? I haven't seen it in the official website

1. Problem is already resolved. No need to worry, for now.

2. You can either download them with Geforce Experience or manually over at nvidia.com. Drivers will automatically recognize your GPU, no need to worry about your model. I'd normally recommend to download the newest drivers, but there are some rumours that version 398.36 works best. No Idea though, haven't tested them yet.

3. Just for your information: There is no 1060Ti. There is a 1050Ti, 1070Ti and 1080Ti though.

any specifics on what the resolution scaling options are?

No numbers, but high=native resolution (or close to it). All other options will render at a lower resolution and then upscale (or reconstruct?) the image to your native resolution. This will result in a less detailed and more blurry IQ, but will also greatly improve performance.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Oh yeah, I should drop some actual performance:

My rig is a Ryzen 5 1400 (OC'd to 3.7GHz), 16GB of dual-channel 3200MHz/CL14 RAM, and an RX 580. I also have the game installed on my SSD.

I can't get a fully locked 60FPS on max settings. What I inevitably opted for was to bring shadows and AO down to mid, and put volume rendering and LOD to variable. Now the lowest I drop is 50, and most of the time it's at 60 unless I'm in the Ancient Forest. Perfectly playable, and still looks better than on my PS4 Pro while running better to boot.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I should drop some actual performance:

My rig is a Ryzen 5 1400 (OC'd to 3.7GHz), 16GB of dual-channel 3200MHz/CL14 RAM, and an RX 580. I also have the game installed on my SSD.

I can't get a fully locked 60FPS on max settings. What I inevitably opted for was to bring shadows and AO down to mid, and put volume rendering and LOD to variable. Now the lowest I drop is 50, and most of the time it's at 60 unless I'm in the Ancient Forest. Perfectly playable, and still looks better than on my PS4 Pro while running better to boot.

Set resolution to variable. This will drop the rendering resolution during those rare 50 fps moments (only!) and stabilize your 60 fps. It works kind of okay. Better to loose IQ for a couple of seconds then having to deal with stutter imo.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i5-3570k, GTX970, and 8GB of RAM. I'm on mid settings with volumetric rendering on low and I'm getting a consistent 50-60 FPS at all times. However, checking task manager shows I'm getting 80-90% CPU usage even when idling, which is concerning because I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my processor or something.

EDIT: I have 8GB, not 4GB, what am I talking about lol

Last edited:

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have an i5-3570k, GTX970, and 4GB of RAM. I'm on mid settings with volumetric rendering on low and I'm getting a consistent 50-60 FPS at all times. However, checking task manager shows I'm getting 80-90% CPU usage even when idling, which is concerning because I'm afraid I'm going to blow out my processor or something.

As long as temps stay reasonable you are fine, many games will put a lot of stress on those old i5s this days.
MHW (supposedly) loads and handles the entire map all of the time, not matter where you are. So there is consistent stress on your system...

Isn't that 'variable (prioritize framerate)' though?

Yeah of course, my mistake.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Right, yeah actual PC performance posts. Good idea.

I've got the game running at a mostly stable 60 at 1080p with this setup:
970 (1460MHz core, 7603MHz mem)
4690k (OC'd to 4.4 GHZ)
16 GB ram (@ 1866, CL9)

Everything set to high preset, but volume rendering to low, resolution scaling high, FXAA (instead of TAA)
Vsync off, frame rate uncapped, RTSS cap at 60, Vsync on through Nvidia CP.
On the 398.86 driver.

Last edited:

Soviet Bear

May 25, 2018
i5 4690K (oc'ed to 4.2GHz), 1070 and 16GB ram

Average FPS above 60 at 1080p with settings maxed out aside from Volume Rendering Quality off and Anti-Aliasing on FXAA because I feel like TAA makes long distance textures look like arse.

Resolution scaling on high

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Intermittently getting this weird issue where I get pillarboxes at the side of the screen, even though my monitor is natively 16:9 (1920x1080). No idea what's causing it.

Adahel

May 28, 2018
Spain
Good thread! Maybe the problems with AA can be "fixed" if the resolution is set to > 1080p and the scaling resolution is set to variable (prioritize framerate) or is it a bad idea?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Would I be able to play this at 1080p 60fps with an i5-4460, a GTX 970 and 8GB of RAM? I'm okay with turning down settings to get the framerate up.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I guess it's time to file my report here.

Intel i5 7600 @3.5GHz
GTX 1060 6gb
16 GB RAM
Windows 10
1080p

I started with everything maxed, it only ran at 40-50 fps. Then I set to default High with texture cranked up to Full and volumetric rendering to Mid, and now it's been pretty stable 60fps.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have a 2500K (non-OC) / R9 380 and the game runs smoothly at 1080 on mid settings, 256 texturing and volumetric rendering off. I'm pleasantly surprised, as I'm was already picturing myself looking for CPU upgrades the night before.

I've installed the latest AMD drivers before downloading the game, thought. It helps.

It was solved just before the official release I think. Much fear & loathing about nothing, as usual.

Last edited:

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
i7 8700k (no overclock)
GTX 1070 ti (200 mhz core overclock)
16 GB @ 3200
500 GB M.2 SSD
latest nvidia driver

running at 1440p with everything maxed I get a average framerate of 50 fps. If I turn of volumetric lightning and SH Diffuse Quality I get around 75 fps on average, with which I'm not too happy considering the image quality is really poor. Load times are insane though compared to the PS4 Pro version.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I'm getting black bars on the side running at fullscreen, it wasn't like this when I first ran the game. Set the game at borderless solves the problem, but I always game at fullscreen. Anyone has similar problems or solutions for this?

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone knows how to translate desktop specs to the laptop equivalent? Thinking of getting this but not sure if my machine can run it even at the minimum settings.

CPU: i7-7500U 2.7-2.9 Ghz
Ram: 8 GB
GPU: Nvidia 940MX

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
How do modern AMD cards fare with this game? (Fury/Nano and Vega series)

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Anyone knows how to translate desktop specs to the laptop equivalent? Thinking of getting this but not sure if my machine can run it even at the minimum settings.

I can install it on my laptop quick and see how it runs, I saw some reports saying that someone with a 960m (basically an OC'd 950m) managed the game fine at 1080p/30fps on low settings.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing people reporting that downgrading to 398.36 Nvidia drivers is boosting frame rates (398.82 is the current MHW Game Ready driver). Specifically, it's been 970 users reporting this but there are posts by 1070 and 1080 users too.

No solid comparisons yet though, so think twice before trying to downgrade. May be a case of a bad driver install or something along those lines, as rolling back requires you cleaning up your display driver with something like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). The posts of people saying they gained a lot of frames reported unusually low frame rates for their system to begin with.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/0/1745594817432400100/?ctp=5
https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...nd_a_massive_bug_in_nvidia_driver_39882_with/

Edit: I did some of my own testing. Rolled back to 391.35, which has been extremely reliable for me on my 970. Turned up the visuals a bit to see if it improved the minimum frame rate. In the Astera hub (as you walk into the trading hub) I got ~50 on average. Updated to 398.36 and it was ~56. Then I updated to 398.82 and got about the same values as 398.36. A little better even, but this may be due to general variability (and lighting conditions do change in the game).

Last edited:

Chariot

Oct 26, 2017
Hamburg

I was scared at first, but my laptop can play it surprisingly fine.

i5-7700HQ
8 GB
Nvidia 1050M

First time I started up it defaulted to High settings and it ran fine and with medium it runs super.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I've been seeing people reporting that downgrading to 398.36 Nvidia drivers is boosting FPS (398.86 is the current MHW Game Ready driver). Specifically, it's been 970 users reporting this but there are posts by 1070 and 1080 users too.

No solid comparisons yet though, so think twice before trying to downgrade. May be a case of a bad driver install or something along those lines, as reverting back requires you cleaning up your display driver with something like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU).

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHun...nd_a_massive_bug_in_nvidia_driver_39882_with/

Hrmph. I just updated yesterday after an initial performance test, so will have to check if I've somehow wound up worst.

Here's my settings though: GTX 970, i7-6700K, and DDR4 2400Mhz. Nothing overclocked, so could probably eke out more performance

Resolution Scaling: High
Texture Scaling: Full
Ambient Occlusion: Low
Volume Rendering Quality: Off
Shadow Quality: Mid
Anti-Aliasing: TAA
LOD Bias: Variable
Max LOD Level: No limit
Foliage Sway: On
Subsurface Scattering: On
Screenspace Reflection: Off
Anisotropic Filtering: On
Water Reflection: On
SH Diffuse Quality: Low
Dynamic Range: 32-bit
Z-Prepass: On

I get a largely steady 60 fps with this, with the most significant and consistent drops being in Zone 2. The Volumetric Lighting's load makes me sad - its absence seems to particularly affect darker areas, turning lighter colours more solid and dark in turns - but otherwise for the most part the game looks alright like this without sacrificing too much.

These settings are rather unintuitive I find; Resolution Scaling especially. It took me a while to figure out it's actually dynamic res and assumes native at the top, rather than in the middle like you'd think. Not to mention having to leave the game to change stuff like the texture scaling and subsurface scattering. Taking Shadows up to mid seemed to cost nothing though.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

There's no direct comparison for the 940M when it comes to desktop GPUs, but at the very least it should be worse than a GT 1030.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

940MX is extremely weak GPU by today's standards. Doesn't help that it's from the era when laptops received heavily cut down versions of GPUs, where as nowadays laptops get full fat PC grade GPUs.

My rough estimate is 940MX might compare to desktop GTX 650, even then it might not be as fast as that desktop GPU.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just tested it on my i7 6700HQ/GTX 950m laptop, definitely playable at low settings 1080p/30. Resolution scale has to be either low or mid, though. I went with low because it's a laptop screen anyway, and I wanted low volume rendering enabled. Otherwise, I hunted a Pukei-Pukei and it wasn't a bad time at all.

A 940MX should be able to handle everything on low and volume off, I think.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
How is the TAA? For me, playing PC games from my couch on my TV, TAA has been the single most important new tech this generation.

Can't wait for Alex/DF to do his thing.

Draggyrider

Oct 30, 2017
I can install it on my laptop quick and see how it runs, I saw some reports saying that someone with a 960m (basically an OC'd 950m) managed the game fine at 1080p/30fps on low settings.

I was scared at first, but my laptop can play it surprisingly fine.

i5-7700HQ
8 GB
Nvidia 1050M

There's no direct comparison for the 940M when it comes to desktop GPUs, but at the very least it should be worse than a GT 1030.

940MX is extremely weak GPU by today's standards. Doesn't help that it's from the era when laptops received heavily cut down versions of GPUs, where as nowadays laptops get full fat PC grade GPUs.

My rough estimate is 940MX might compare to desktop GTX 650, even then it might not be as fast as that desktop GPU.

Thanks for the comments, seems like the GPU will be very marginal even if I run at 720p low settings

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
I've been seeing people reporting that downgrading to 398.36 Nvidia drivers is boosting frame rates (398.86 is the current MHW Game Ready driver). Specifically, it's been 970 users reporting this but there are posts by 1070 and 1080 users too.

No solid comparisons yet though, so think twice before trying to downgrade. May be a case of a bad driver install or something along those lines, as rolling back requires you cleaning up your display driver with something like Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). The posts of people saying they gained a lot of frames reported unusually low frame rates for their system to begin with.

Meh, I'm fairly sure it's 100% placebo. From the reddit guy's screenshots, the fps difference is only due to the rendered scene/camera position.