• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone yet. I discovered this in a silly way (I was trying to alt-tab and I accidentally pressed a key which activated it), but the game supports text chat. It's weird to highlight this as a feature as it used to be completely standard 15 years ago, but I think it's worthwhile to point out.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been mentioned by anyone yet. I discovered this in a silly way (I was trying to alt-tab and I accidentally pressed a key which activated it), but the game supports text chat. It's weird to highlight this as a feature as it used to be completely standard 15 years ago, but I think it's worthwhile to point out.
That's actually a really good thing that some multiplatform games have left out recently.

Reposting for new page.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
They said it would have it even before the console version was out.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
The game features text chat right now, it's just incredibly clunky on controller because how slow it is. I'd imagine that on PC where everyone has a keyboard plugged in, text chat will see more use there.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I quickly checked loading times with mechanical harddrive (5400 rpm) as well. Actually not that bad compared to SSD.

Title screen to hub on PC with SSD: 6 seconds
Title screen to hub on PC with HDD: 12.5 seconds
Title screen to hub on PS4: 60 seconds

Hub to Ancient Forest on PC with SSD: 7 seconds
Hub to Ancient Forest on PC with HDD: 15.5 seconds
Hub to Ancient Forest on PS4: 61 seconds

Ancient Forest to hub on PC with SSD: 2 seconds
Ancient Forest to hub on PC with HDD: 2 seconds
Ancient Forest to hub on PS4: 35 seconds
That's goddamn brutal. And it's on a 5400 one?

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
They said it would have it even before the console version was out.
The game features text chat right now, it's just incredibly clunky on controller because how slow it is. I'd imagine that on PC where everyone has a keyboard plugged in, text chat will see more use there.
Gotcha. I didn't expect the feature to exist even on consoles.

That's goddamn brutal. And it's on a 5400 one?
Yup. Back when I got this PC I opted to go for harddrives which are known for being reliable (I've experienced harddrive crashes in the past and I never want that to happen again) and that happened to be harddrives which aren't very fast.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
1080p/60 with no micro stutter/hitching w/ a 980 Ti sounds alright, I guess. That rumored HD texture pack would be very cool though.

60fps feels much better with a gamepad than a mouse. 60fps feels very laggy w/ mouse after coming from 144hz.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Is there an explanation as to why the game is so CPU heavy? Seems odd for MT Framework.
it ai heavy, there is a farly large amout of monsters/ cpu heavy effects going on. that being said, it isnt that cpu heavy when ign dropped it to its lowest setting, it jumped to 110fps mean your gpu is still more likely to bottleneck it.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017

That's fantastic to hear. A big step up from preset messages.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
it ai heavy, there is a farly large amout of monsters/ cpu heavy effects going on. that being said, it isnt that cpu heavy when ign dropped it to its lowest setting, it jumped to 110fps mean your gpu is still more likely to bottleneck it.

To eliminate interstitial loading during active gameplay, MHW loads the entire level into memory. In addition to managing assets loaded into memory, it keeps track of monster interactions, health status, environment/object changes, manages LOD & object culling, calculates collision detection and physics simulation, and tons of other background telemetry stuff that you don't see yet requires CPU cycle. This is in addition to supporting any GPU rendering tasks.

While the MT Framework engine has been around for ages, it does a good job in distributing CPU cycles and load-balancing tasks across all available cores and threads. The engine itself is optimized for x86 CPU instruction set, is highly scalable, and loosely speaking, is platform agnostic regardless of PC or console platform so as long as it conforms to the x86 instruction set.

For example, screenshots from the post below shows CPU load per core/thread.

Some 3840x2160 screenshots showcasing the difference between some graphics settings with some performance stats (I didn't take these myself, someone else with a review copy sent them to me. You can tell I didn't take these screenshots as I'd never name my kitty companion Qwerty):

All settings high, with Volume Rendering Quality: (60fps)
http://www.fluffyquack.com/mhw-screens/settings-high-volume-on.png

All settings high, without Volume Rendering Quality: (67 fps)
http://www.fluffyquack.com/mhw-screens/settings-high-volume-off.png

All settings high, with Volume Rendering Quality, Resolution scaling set to Low: (80 fps)
http://www.fluffyquack.com/mhw-screens/settings-high-volume-on-resolutionscaling-low.png

All settings high, without Volume Rendering Quality, Resolution scaling set to Low: (87 fps)
http://www.fluffyquack.com/mhw-screens/settings-high-volume-off-resolutionscaling-low.png

You can see performance stats bottom-right on the screenshots. Hardware used was a Core i7 7700K @4.4GHz with a 1080ti.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be curious to see what the HDR on console looked like without the volume rendering stuff, since that's what seems to create that "trademark" washed out color palette the game has at times.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
To eliminate interstitial loading during active gameplay, MHW loads the entire level into memory. In addition to managing assets loaded into memory, it keeps track of monster interactions, health status, environment/object changes, manages LOD & object culling, calculates collision detection and physics simulation, and tons of other background telemetry stuff that you don't see yet requires CPU cycle. This is in addition to supporting any GPU rendering tasks.

While the MT Framework engine has been around for ages, it does a good job in distributing CPU cycles and load-balancing tasks across all available cores and threads. The engine itself is optimized for x86 CPU instruction set, is highly scalable, and loosely speaking, is platform agnostic regardless of PC or console platform so as long as it conforms to the x86 instruction set.

For example, screenshots from the post below shows CPU load per core/thread.
am I reading those numbers right? thats a near perfect cpu load distribution? that is dam impressive threading by capcom.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disappointed by the lack of 21:9 support too, but at least it seems to support the resolutions so we can get a proper 16:9 image.

Everything else about this port sounds fantastic and a huge upgrade from the PS4 version.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
I found this video which shows the loading times on a PS4 Pro with SSD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7HGpTl6d3o

So if I add those loading times to my list, we get a good comparison versus a low-end PS4 configuration and a high-end PS4 configuration.

Title screen to hub on PC with SSD: 6 seconds
Title screen to hub on PC with HDD: 12.5 seconds
Title screen to hub on PS4 with HDD: 60 seconds
Title screen to hub on PS4 Pro with SSD: 18 seconds

Hub to Ancient Forest on PC with SSD: 7 seconds
Hub to Ancient Forest on PC with HDD: 15.5 seconds
Hub to Ancient Forest on PS4 with HDD: 61 seconds
Hub to Ancient Forest on PS4 Pro with SSD: 17 seconds

Ancient Forest to hub on PC with SSD: 2 seconds
Ancient Forest to hub on PC with HDD: 2 seconds
Ancient Forest to hub on PS4 with HDD : 35 seconds
Ancient Forest to hub on PS4 Pro with SSD: 8 seconds

TyMiles2012

Mar 26, 2018
From one gameplay video i heard that DS4 is supported (but still showing xbox icons), maybe i'm wrong

Any controller is supported if you're using Steam since it has a built in XInput wrapper, though you'd be right even then since DInput is also supported according to Capcom Unity. When it comes to PS4 buttons, you could probably disable Steam controller support on big picture then try to use the PS4 controller then. At least with FFXV, DS4 inputs through DirectInput triggered the PS4 buttons on screen, and the DS4 through Steam showed Xbox buttons.

On another note, I'd love to see how this performs on Ryzen. Jumped from the Intel ship for a 1700 since the price got slashed due to 2nd gen. I'm guessing single core is about as good as my 4670k, but double the physical cores and 12 more threads will really benefit, especially if MT Framework is good at multithreading. Fingers crossed for a DigitalFoundry video soon! All the reviewers and streamers all used Nvidia and Intel from what I've seen. lol

Last edited:

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Any controller is supported if you're using Steam since it has a built in XInput wrapper, though you'd be right even then since DInput is also supported according to Capcom Unity. When it comes to PS4 buttons, you could probably disable Steam controller support on big picture then try to use the PS4 controller then. At least with FFXV, DS4 inputs through DirectInput triggered the PS4 buttons on screen, and the DS4 through Steam showed Xbox buttons.

On another note, I'd love to see how this performs on Ryzen. Jumped from the Intel ship for a 1700 since the price got slashed due to 2nd gen. I'm guessing single core is about as good as my 4670k, but double the physical cores and 12 more threads will really benefit, especially if MT Framework is good at multithreading. Fingers crossed for a DigitalFoundry video soon! All the reviewers and streamers all used Nvidia and Intel from what I've seen. lol
if dragon's dogma was anything to go by, mt framework scales to aleast 12 threads.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna wait on this. Wow expansion should keep me occupied and I'll check back on this port after it's been out awhile. I'm not overly concerned based on the early impressions but I am a little hesitant.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Er, no. For me at least, using a Dualshock 4 through Steam has it show the correct buttons.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, so you mean this game is doing so much behind the scenes that it cannot possibly run on an underpowered console CPU. Understood.

I didn't know MHW was a PC exclusive meant to push the hardware to its limit.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so you mean this game is doing so much behind the scenes that it cannot possibly run on an underpowered console CPU. Understood.

I didn't know MHW was a PC exclusive meant to push the hardware to its limit.
Did you even look at who you're responding to? Or do you really not believe Capcom when they're talking about their own game vs your extremely limited knowledge of how the game runs?

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
guys I'm super lazy and kinda dumb so if you guys could tell me whether this might run better than an OG Xbox One on an x4 860K and 2GB 1050 that would help alot

yes I know these are bad computer parts for a modern man
thanks

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
guys I'm super lazy and kinda dumb so if you guys could tell me whether this might run better than an OG Xbox One on an x4 860K and 2GB 1050 that would help alot

thanks

I would say at minimum wait for release and don't preorder.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017

thanks
Just looking online your CPU compared to the one I was using (AMD 955) is slightly faster and your GPU compared to one I'm currently using (GTX 760) is pretty much equal. With my AMD 955 and GTX 760 I didn't have any problem running games higher than an OG Xbox One, so hopefully if it's a decent port you shouldn't have any problem running higher.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
They really should have had a beta like they did on consoles, would have been a good way for people to get an idea about the performance on their hardware.
Too bad they didn't. Unless they make a surprise announcement and do one at the last minute.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the advice guys, think I'll wait it out to see how the community develops compared to the XBox

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Did you even look at who you're responding to? Or do you really not believe Capcom when they're talking about their own game vs your extremely limited knowledge of how the game runs?

Yes, I know. And I also know that no developer or community manager will tell you their game is unoptimized.

When a game can run on a console there cannot be an appeal to what the engine is doing that justifies the bad performance, because PC CPUs&GPUs greatly outperform console hardware. As long the code is as well written and matches the effort that was put on the console, which clearly isn't the case.

IF a game comes out on PC only, then you might claim the engine is doing things so complex that you either have them, or need cut features. But if a game comes out on consoles first, then PC hardware power is ALWAYS significantly greater.

You can claim the game is running complex quantum mechanics calculations, but if it's able to do that on consoles then it has to be able to do that much more smoothly on PC.

What we see in current benchmarks is that on similar PS4 settings the PC port uses an unreasonable amount of CPU power. That's an unambiguous sign that the engine is inefficient.

Good multithreading is just one aspect. Just showing that the engine distributes well the load doesn't mean that it is using that power efficiently.

A screenshot that shows a game using lots of CPU and GPU % occupation proves only that the game is making the hardware draw a lot of energy. Again not a proof of efficiency at all.

What happens instead is that there's code written specifically for consoles that won't run efficiently on PC. It doesn't mean that code CAN'T run efficiently on PC, but you'd have to rewrite and re-engineer most of it. This is pretty much universally not something that is worth the effort because PC is not a priority and rewriting an engine is not cost effective.

In the end, companies do the minimum effort that lets them sell the product. Is MHW selling well even if it's unoptimized on PC? If so they have no reason to do any better than that. Just a business choices. You tell your customers to buy a better CPU and you're done.

(plus, the suspicion about DRM, might be just a coincidence, but for a reason or another all games that have Denuvo and performance issues always have them on the CPU side. And that makes the suspicion at least legitimate)

P.S.
If instead the community manager came here to reveal that the PC port was running a more complex game simulation - better physics, better monsters AI and whatnot - then this would justify the worse performance on PC. Alas, this is not the case. The engine on the same setting is running the exact same simulation than on consoles. So the much greater power to run the same stuff just can't be justified.

Last edited:

Soviet Bear

May 25, 2018
In the end, companies do the minimum effort that lets them sell the product. Is MHW selling well even if it's unoptimized on PC? If so they have no reason to do any better than that. Just a business choices. You tell your customers to buy a better CPU and you're done.

Just to point out that the Monster Hunter dev team have a long history of solid and consistent post-launch support - mainly in the form of free DLC as we have seen recently with the console release of MH World. They've been doing this before CDPR and the Witcher 3 were a thing.

So I wouldn't put it past the dev team to provide patches to improve performance, considering their track-record.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Unoptimized

Minimum effort

Either you're spoiled or missed some ports of the PS2 and Xbox 360 eras

Now those were unoptimized ports made with the minimum effort possible