• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Like to be fair I feel like you kinda can spend a little too long chasing monsters running away from you, at least in the beta, but those hunts are really short so proportionally it could feel off. Also once you get good at using the right slinger ammo you easily stun them thus cancelling their flee state.

I personly would chase monsters through corridors all day if it meant never being hit through a loading zone ever again but I can see why people get irritated by the chase.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I know GaijinHunter, I just have my doubts Famitsu would have gone on this long if the Japanese didn't respect them? Well, anyway, a good number will be good for the games sales no matter where you publish said score, lol.
Fuck yeah, I want it to sell really well and get lots of post release support.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck loading screens. Feels much more immersive to chase the monster in real time. Would also be an incentive to really get to know the map and use that to your advantage.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
*50-60 hours to reach the ending.

Woah!

That's also just for credits, a lot of the super high end monsters and content is post game. So you can probably double or triple that number to at least see everything, then keep going if you want to collect various weapons, armour sets and inevitable DLC or post release content.

ReginOfFire

Oct 29, 2017
That's also just for credits, a lot of the super high end monsters and content is post game. So you can probably double or triple that number to at least see everything, then keep going if you want to collect various weapons, armour sets and inevitable DLC or post release content.

This game is packed with content it sounds like amazing!

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Also can't forget the G expansion which I'm 99% sure will happen at some point, lol

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
*50-60 hours to reach the ending.

Woah!

MH games are super long. I had like 350 hours on MH4 Ultimate and still had a lot more to do.

I think I had half of that for generations and I bet that would be a good number for this game to considering is a base version, not an Ultimate/G version.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
MH games are super long. I had like 350 hours on MH4 Ultimate and still had a lot more to do.

I think I had half of that for generations and I bet that would be a good number for this game to considering is a base version, not an Ultimate/G version.

That's all the optional stuff though, I'm surprised they could make the game have any more than 30hours of story mission content.

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter is one of those game where reviews mean dick. Fans will love or hate it regardless because they are familiar with the gameplay loops. To me it's already the best game of 2018 by a landslide.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much review sites are going to start pegging it for those unskippable cutscenes. Everyone I've talked to that's playing the game right now for review have said it's a pretty big damper on team play. I guess if reviewers are playing solo, it wouldn't matter as much.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Monster Hunter is one of those game where reviews mean dick. Fans will love or hate it regardless because they are familiar with the gameplay loops. To me it's already the best game of 2018 by a landslide.
This is very true. A good metacritic however will introduce the series to more people. It will score in the 80-90 range, I'd say.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have dreamed of a full modern monster hunter game on xbox. I pray it scratches the itch I've had since phantasy star online on dreamcast.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
If you have a PS4 there is an open beta this weekend which is free for everyone, including those that don't have PS+. It has 9 bosses to fight so it should give you a good idea of if you'll like the full game or not.
I think this sentiment is a bit misleading. The beta nullifies all of the grind and repetitive gameplay loop that comes with a Monster Hunter.

I get what you mean, but where the series falls flat for a lot of people is the amount of grind you need to complete an armor set / weapon.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
If you have a PS4 there is an open beta this weekend which is free for everyone, including those that don't have PS+. It has 9 bosses to fight so it should give you a good idea of if you'll like the full game or not.

I am on the Xbox, but I will watch some videos and wait for the reviews on here :)

Quality is quality

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I get what you mean, but where the series falls flat for a lot of people is the amount of grind you need to complete an armor set / weapon.

There's your answer to your statement about the Metacritic score, which the previous entries btw. had.

MHW is still MonHun, if you're not into longer more strategic battles against one or more boss-like monsters over and over again in order to grind crafting parts, then nothing, not the platform, not the QoL changes (that mostly carter to previous players), nothing changes with this game.

I've been reading "MH is like Dark Souls" and i just thought that people who state this either never played MonHun or Dark Souls. It's nothing like Dark Souls.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
This will be my first MH game but the beta and the videos already sold me on this one. Cant wait.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
After seeing millions and millions of people grinding like crazy in Destiny I don't think that can be a complaint that can be easily leveraged against a lot of more casual games in this day and age. Hell its a huge appeal for a lot of people especially those who do it with friends or in guilds/groups/etc.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
After seeing millions and millions of people grinding like crazy in Destiny I don't think that can be a complaint that can be easily leveraged against a lot of more casual games in this day and age. Hell its a huge appeal for a lot of people especially those who do it with friends or in guilds/groups/etc.
But combat in Destiny is fast paced, FPS. This requires much more patience and timing with your attacks, and which is why you often hear "clunky" coming from non MonHun players.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people that never played a Monster Hunter before will review this, or if this is going straight to the Monster Hunter expert in the office.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
It's because people don't have another example to describe methodical combat.

Something I've agonized over myself.
Dunno but, if it's obviously wrong to compare those two games, then it's way more damaging than trying to describe the game with own words. I had that situation at last years Gamescom, a good number of people waiting in line to play the demo went with a bad taste for the game, cause they expected some fast Action-RPG.

If your comparison comes down to "you gotta grind in both games" then it's already wrong. One is a MMO Shooter with fixed classes and dungeons to clear, the other is basically a boss-gauntlet with slowish, strategic ARPG gameplay.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds as music to my ears, can't wait!
Also releases 1 days before my bday and one week before my next Tattoo appointment.

Exciting times indeed ^^

In day uno

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
all those hilights basically confirm that this will be a great monster hunter for a new player like me

cannot wait

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Just saying. Grinding in of itself is hardly something that bothers a lot of gamers and is in fact a big part of some of the most popular games out there whether. I don't think the actual gameplay is all that important as long as its competent and there is enough content to support it. I rarely hear about the grind being a big deal in games but that there isn't enough worthwhile rewards or content to support the grind.

Rappy

Oct 28, 2017

*LOL FAMITSU GOT PAID MEME* How original.
Oh, I know GaijinHunter, I just have my doubts Famitsu would have gone on this long if the Japanese didn't respect them? Well, anyway, a good score will be good for the games sales no matter where you publish said score, lol.
Even though I am quite tired of the same drivel about Famitsu being paid off every review thread, most things revolve around money, not respect.

Just saying. Grinding in of itself is hardly something that bothers a lot of gamers and is in fact a big part of some of the most popular games out there whether. I don't think the actual gameplay is all that important as long as its competent and there is enough content to support it. I rarely hear about the grind being a big deal in games but that there isn't enough worthwhile rewards or content to support the grind.
I do think that there's a big difference between how a game like Destiny handles the grind for new gear, which is basically "run it until we put it directly into your hands, no strings attached" and how Monster Hunter handles the grind, which can be summed up as "run it until you have enough of each material to make what you're going after, and then go to the place you need to go to in order to forge it and also pay a fee to get it done, and you also have to do this for each piece." I can't say one way or another if that's going to be a turnoff for a lot of people, but it's not a 1:1 correlation between other loot grinds because of how differently Monster Hunter handles it versus damn near every other game on the market.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Grinding and crafting in MH games was always a long repetitive task, even for lower weapons, its even much more slow and tiresome than in most MMOs. MHW seems not to change much for this grinding circle.

If people expect they can grind half an hour and than fight awesome beasts in action battles... they are set for a very big disappointment, and that can eventually influence reviews and user-reviews in a "bad" way.

BTW: The corridors between the areas are at least as annoying as short loading screens. ;)