• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Great news from the summary, last game I played was MH3U on the 3ds and I loved it. This will alleviate the issues I had with previous games.
Well I hope the game does well. Don't know why people keep downplaying famitsu reviews. Even if they have given questionable reviews doesn't mean it's everytime. If it's not credible I don't think it should be posted

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I do think that there's a big difference between how a game like Destiny handles the grind for new gear, which is basically "run it until we put it directly into your hands, no strings attached" and how Monster Hunter handles the grind, which can be summed up as "run it until you have enough of each material to make what you're going after, and then go to the place you need to go to in order to forge it and also pay a fee to get it done, and you also have to do this for each piece." I can't say one way or another if that's going to be a turnoff for a lot of people, but it's not a 1:1 correlation between other loot grinds because of how differently Monster Hunter handles it versus damn near every other game on the market.

Grinding and crafting in MH games was always a long repetitive task, even for lower weapons, its even much more slow and tiresome than in most MMOs. MHW seems not to change much for this grinding circle.

If people expect they can grind half an hour and than fight awesome beasts in action battles... they are set for a very big disappointment, and that can eventually influence reviews and user-reviews in a "bad" way.

BTW: The corridors between the areas are at least as annoying as short loading screens. ;)

It's not really as complicated as people might think.

At the end of the day what people want are meaningful loot and a sense of gear progression. They want to feel like they're getting stronger and looking cooler as they go along. They also want to be properly rewarded for doing the appropriate challenging activities. These were the issues plaguing Destiny 2 atm.

And details of the how and what doesn't really matter as long as there is a goal to work towards and it's rewarding enough.

EDIT: also helps if the gameplay is solid.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think that there's a big difference between how a game like Destiny handles the grind for new gear, which is basically "run it until we put it directly into your hands, no strings attached" and how Monster Hunter handles the grind, which can be summed up as "run it until you have enough of each material to make what you're going after, and then go to the place you need to go to in order to forge it and also pay a fee to get it done, and you also have to do this for each piece." I can't say one way or another if that's going to be a turnoff for a lot of people, but it's not a 1:1 correlation between other loot grinds because of how differently Monster Hunter handles it versus damn near every other game on the market.

Its not just Destiny. Its MMO's that have ingrained you're gonna run this raid twenty times and get enough mats or the right drop before you get the weapon or armor you want. Destiny is just one example of a huge game with grinding, the list is far far longer. As I said I don't think the grind is really an issue you can hold against MHW when its the norm in some of the most popular games in the world.

Grinding and crafting in MH games was always a long repetitive task, even for lower weapons, its even much more slow and tiresome than in most MMOs. MHW seems not to change much for this grinding circle.

If people expect they can grind half an hour and than fight awesome beasts in action battles... they are set for a very big disappointment, and that can eventually influence reviews and user-reviews in a "bad" way.

BTW: The corridors between the areas are at least as annoying as short loading screens. ;)

Yeah and welcome to most every MMO out there. I just used Destiny as an example. The grind itself is a common enough thing that most people don't bat an eye as long as the gameplay and content can support it which the MH games have never had an issue with. How the grind works is different for every game but the idea is the same and that idea is no longer a severe turn off for millions of gamers out there.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for Gamespot's review.

Gamespot has been rather tough on Monster Hunter over the years.

MH3U got a very positive review from them, but the previous games not so much.

I'm curious about their review for MH: W.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for Gamespot's review.

Gamespot has been rather tough on Monster Hunter over the years.

MH3U got a very positive review from thetm, but the previous games not so much.

I'm curious about their review for MH: W.

Any review before MH3U on Gamespot we're done by staff long-since gone. Some moved to Giant Bomb, game development, or elsewhere, while others are sadly deceased(Ryan Davis reviewed the very early MH games and was most critical, though it was clear he didn't have the patience or level of engagement for them). Some of the negative scores stemmed from hardware issues(PSP) and a lack of friendly QoL features absent in the framework at the time(no camera lock or dual analog, no prompts for lootables which can be frustrating for learning for example...).

Recently, MH4U got a 9, while Generations received an 8. Both from different editors, but both delivering scores that would be agreeable among fans. Not even sure if either of those two editors are still with the site either. Whatever you expect from Gamespot lies at the hands of an unknown editor that possibly never met or interacted with Ryan Davis.

Last edited:

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Cautiously interested. I know previous MH games were built mainly for multiplayer, but is this one a bit more single-player minded? Would I enjoy it solo?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
A high review score from Famitsu certainly isn't a bad sign.

I'm probably pre-ordering based on the beta. I enjoyed it.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Great score. This seems like the best thing to get me interested in the MH franchise. Let's see.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That the seamless world keeps you in the action without interruptions. Chasing a monster as it leaves an area takes longer now that you have to run through the corridors between areas.

I don't get it. Those corridors aren't dead air.. you can prevent the monster from continuing to run away if you can land a hit. Or set traps in those areas.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Not having to deal with monsters that love camping at the edge of a loading zone is the real benefit here.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Heh so it's the best reviewed MH since the series left PSP, interesting.
I noticed this too. The series has been in a ratings slump (relatively) on Famitsu ever since. My personal feelings match that. Always great games, but the franchise lost something from the early games. I think it's probably the difficulty getting lowered.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel arguing about chasing monsters somehow being as big an issue as the maps broke up by loading schemes is such an add comparison. One is an annoying as hell technical limitation, the other is map design to make it more than just walking from one area to another.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed this too. The series has been in a ratings slump (relatively) on Famitsu ever since. My personal feelings match that. Always great games, but the franchise lost something from the early games. I think it's probably the difficulty getting lowered.

Yea the progression feels flattened, although part of that stems from the elaborate movesets they keep expanding. The player is given more options to handle or approach both offensively and defensively, it almost resembles a stylish action game now than a meticulous 'patience is key!/every hit matters' game.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Yea the progression feels flattened, although part of that stems from the elaborate movesets they keep expanding. The player is given more options to handle or approach both offensively and defensively, it almost resembles a stylish action game now than a meticulous 'patience is key!/every hit matters' game.
Luckily styles have been removed. All we have now is the environment to use to our advantage.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well if you don't use a tool given to you that is made for stopping a monster, I dont think you have much room to complain about chasing monsters through corridors.
Not really. Traps just make fleeing monsters slightly less annoying. That's not worth removing a lot of the challenge from a fight by giving you so much free damage.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Not really. Traps just make fleeing monsters slightly less annoying. That's not worth removing a lot of the challenge from a fight by giving you so much free damage.
I'm guessing you play solo then. If you know where the monster flees, which over time you will learn, fast travelling to the closest spot will mitigate the issue a little.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I seriously can't wait for this. You guys are all gonna be there with me on day-one, right? We need to go ahead and prepare a Discord channel. Never in my life have I actually played Monster Hunter with real people online, and I think it's why I was never able to see a single entry all the way through 'til the end. This time... this time will be different.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing you play solo then. If you know where the monster flees, which over time you will learn, fast travelling to the closest spot will mitigate the issue a little.
For monsters that flee across multiple zones (like Rathalos and Diablos) it does help a lot. For stuff like Anjanath which usually just goes to the adjacent zone then it doesn't really help.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
For monsters that flee across multiple zones (like Rathalos and Diablos) it does help a lot. For stuff like Anjanath which usually just goes to the adjacent zone then it doesn't really help.
I think the trade off is worth it. You're in constant danger rather than the danger being walled off by a loading screen. Also makes for more monster interactions or 2, hell, even 3v1 situations!

Not to mention they should flee much less in the full game due to them having their standard health pool, rather than fleeing every 3 minutes due to low health.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I always thought they could make the monsters harder though. Basically any monster you can beat by circle strafing, waiting for the monster to miss an attack, then attack them in their moment of vulnerability. When you first fight a monster you have to learn the attacks, then every fight after its just a matter of patience and improving your reaction times on your counter attacks. But the point it, the monsters fully commit their bodies in nothing but all out attacks. In reality a monster like this would not attack like that. It would control it's movements and track its prey with each step. Monsters will target you but they never carefully track you down. I think it's a design philosophy that should change at some point, and it will make the game harder.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Just saying. Grinding in of itself is hardly something that bothers a lot of gamers and is in fact a big part of some of the most popular games out there whether. I don't think the actual gameplay is all that important as long as its competent and there is enough content to support it. I rarely hear about the grind being a big deal in games but that there isn't enough worthwhile rewards or content to support the grind.

I like grind games if the combat is good

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Neither does the seamless world mean for your tag team encounters with the Ghillie Mantle.
Are you against the open zone nature? You can't have advancement when your gameplay is so outdated you can't walk 100 feet without entering a loading zone.

Not to mention how annoying it was when an attack knocked you into another zone, or when the monster was so close to the next zone you couldn't hit them.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel 'grinding' is only 'grinding' if the act of doing so comprises of monotonous, unengaging gameplay. Monster Hunter is not a clicker game. Just because I fight the same monster twice doesn't mean my experience will be the same. There are too many variables for that to be considered 'grinding'.

In general, I look forward to MHW setting a new standard for the series. We can finally transcend.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought they could make the monsters harder though. Basically any monster you can beat by circle strafing, waiting for the monster to miss an attack, then attack them in their moment of vulnerability. When you first fight a monster you have to learn the attacks, then every fight after its just a matter of patience and improving your reaction times on your counter attacks. But the point it, the monsters fully commit their bodies in nothing but all out attacks. In reality a monster like this would not attack like that. It would control it's movements and track its prey with each step. Monsters will target you but they never carefully track you down. I think it's a design philosophy that should change at some point, and it will make the game harder.

Good point. There has been a feeling that monsters have gotten too predictable with elaborate movesets that can be negotiated with ease and limited learning. The AI is quite good at creating the illusion of a creature not governed by mere robotic animations strung together in varying arrangements(see God Eater), but it does still feel like they are flailing about mostly haphazardly and has a ways to go to reach what you describe. Could also be a factor of having played so much of these games that seeing the wizard behind the curtain is making the predictability soft somewhat, something I occasionally feel.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
I feel 'grinding' is only 'grinding' if the act of doing so comprises of monotonous, unengaging gameplay. Monster Hunter is not a clicker game. Just because I fight the same monster twice doesn't mean my experience will be the same. There are too many variables for that to be considered 'grinding'.
But the thing is is that its not just twice. You'll be fighting dozens, sometimes even hundreds of the same monster to get all the loot you want.