• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But the thing is is that its not just twice. You'll be fighting dozens, sometimes even hundreds of the same monster to get all the loot you want.

Well, there are only so many monsters/levels. But I feel like the mix of gameplay styles/weapon types make this varied enough. And it is still optional, you don't HAVE to fight the same monster dozens of times if you just want to experience the story content. As far as I know. Unless you want complete sets.

I'm not 'grinding' PUBG because I play the same two maps for 100 hours either.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Are you against the open zone nature? You can't have advancement when your gameplay is so outdated you can't walk 15 feet without entering a loading zone.

Not to mention how annoying it was when an attack knocked you into another zone, or when the monster was so close to the next zone you couldn't hit them.

I'm indifferent to the seamless areas, i can see how it's nicer than loading screens, but especially because of the Gamescom demo i can also say that it can be a drag running after the monster, aggroing one of the small field mons or running into an area hazard and losing track.
My dislike for the Scoutflies might play into that, but that's where i stand. Also, i find it unfair to just say it's better because you can't abuse the zone change if you're getting tools to basically do the same thing in the big seamless area.

Effectively, the nice thing about the bigger areas for me is the lack of those short interruptions, nothing else, and those weren't too annoying in previous games. That's why i'm indifferent.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pumped for lengthy story campaign. I'll do like I've always done: shutting myself away and complete sp before attempting mp.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
The seamless areas keep you in the action, without an interruptions.
Can't go back ever again. Long gone are the days of monsters chilling out in zone changes.
BTW: The corridors between the areas are at least as annoying as short loading screens. ;)
Yeah, no. Don't try to downplay that crap. Having a monster hanging out at a zone change and being knocked into one are bullshit and it's one of the first things that should have been scrapped. Take your wink.

Shit I hope there is no lava area for the same reasons.

Last edited:

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
* Definitely a game for cat lovers.

bebbIRT.gif

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there are only so many monsters/levels. But I feel like the mix of gameplay styles/weapon types make this varied enough. And it is still optional, you don't HAVE to fight the same monster dozens of times if you just want to experience the story content. As far as I know. Unless you want complete sets.

I'm not 'grinding' PUBG because I play the same two maps for 100 hours either.

Not really optional when you will need to upgrade weapon to kill monster within time limit, and the only way to get a decent weapon is to grind the same monster for hours, and good luck if you want to use all weapons.

OP
OP
TheDkmariolink
Nov 12, 2017
Not really optional when you will need to upgrade weapon to kill monster within time limit, and the only way to get a decent weapon is to grind the same monster for hours, and good luck if you want to use all weapons.
There have been speed runs of people beating all story mission monsters in previous MonHuns within the time limit, all under 15 minutes to be exact, all with starter gear/weapons you can buy from the shop. Its not necessary to farm gear, its necessary if you want an easier experience.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
There have been speed runs of people beating all story mission monsters in previous MonHuns within the time limit, all under 15 minutes to be exact, all with starter gear/weapons you can buy from the shop. Its not necessary to farm gear, its necessary if you want an easier experience.
If you are really skilled/experienced with MH I guess

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. Don't get why people are trying to downplay how annoying that loading got.

Never annoyed me either. Sprinting and then hail Mary diving to next zone safety was always fun.

How did they handle targeting in this game? As long as its still good and clunky with no lock on/auto target, ill be happy.

Haven't paid much attention, but if it turns out solid I'll target my next pc around it. Put 500 hours into tri, and loved it.

EDIT: oh, one other question, are there still lengthy animations for things like sharpening and healing? Another thing I feel was key to my enjoyment and set MH apart.

Last edited:

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hardcore MH fans would not have cared if the loading zones were back, but in order to get more widespread attention, they had to go. It was stigma to people outside of the MonHun community.
It's a little extreme, but there was a good chance I probably wasn't going to be playing the next Monster Hunter after Generations if they didn't remove the loading zones or do some other big shakeup. It's okay if they never bugged ya but let's not pretend they were totally innocuous to veterans. Tons of us hate em

Never annoyed me either. Sprinting and then hail Mary diving to next zone safety was always fun.

How did they handle targeting in this game? As long as its still good and clunky with no lock on/auto target, ill be happy.

Haven't paid much attention, but if it turns out solid I'll target my next pc around it. Put 500 hours into tri, and loved it.
The default is one of the worst lock-ons I've ever seen, but it can thankfully be switched the normal target cam in the options.

Oct 27, 2017
The default is one of the worst lock-ons I've ever seen, but it can thankfully be switched the normal target cam in the options.

Thanks! Are you a MH vet? When you say normal target, you mean MH normal?

Also, are the lengthy animations still around for healing and sharpening? I always like the deliberate, animation pause as a trade off, mechanic.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
As a PC gamer, I've always looked at this franchise with detached interest and am interested in World coming to PC. In a way, I'm glad they are taking their time with the PC version as hopefully any weirdness is sorted out before launch

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Also, are the lengthy animations still around for healing and sharpening? I always like the deliberate, animation pause as a trade off, mechanic.

Sharpening is the same. Healing is much faster and you can now move while healing. You can also cancel the heal with a roll if you think you're about to be hit so there's no real timing involved with healing anymore.

As for lock on you have three options. No lock on at all, the target cam from past games, and a full lock on.

Yeah, it's the option they introduced in MH3U, where you can highlight the monster that you want to track and have the camera re-center button snap to them rather than snapping to your character's back.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
Hardcore MH fans would not have cared if the loading zones were back, but in order to get more widespread attention, they had to go. It was stigma to people outside of the MonHun community.

Dumb generalization. I've been playing since the original and I'm glad that archaic loading zone system is gone, along with other QoL additions.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's the option they introduced in MH3U, where you can highlight the monster that you want to track and have the camera re-center button snap to them rather than snapping to your character's back.

Thanks! So to aim appropriately you still have to manipulate the camera and your characters orientation? Can't just tap target and expect to make contact, right?

Do vets think the healing while moving trivializes health? Can you also combine while moving?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hope it plays similar to 4U. Seems they have changed quite a bit. Hopefully it is not hard to come back

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Sharpening is the same. Healing is much faster and you can now move while healing. You can also cancel the heal with a roll if you think you're about to be hit so there's no real timing involved with healing anymore.
Just to clarify: healing doesn't happen instantly in a burst anymore, it's gradual regeneration and canceling the potion while healing will make you lose rest of the potion's effect and the potion itself.

ZangBa

Oct 25, 2017
My mistake. I just wanted a PS4 MonHun regardless of the shape it came in lmao

Hell me too, I got burned real hard when they decided they weren't going to make any for the PS3 despite announcing something MH related for it. I'm just glad this game is heading into the future and leaving some of those PS2 era designs in the past. A lot of these changes are a long time coming.

Thanks! So to aim appropriately you still have to manipulate the camera and your characters orientation? Can't just tap target and expect to make contact, right?

Do vets think the healing while moving trivializes health? Can you also combine while moving?
Yeah, you still need to manually fine tune the camera if you want to keep tracking the monster smoothly. Even as I played through MH3U primarily on the Wii U, which had a standard right stick present for the camera, I still used the target cam since it helps maintain your positioning related to the target and not feel like you're getting an advantage.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so many of these changes are great and the game looks amazing so far

but I read the bit about story and it kind of bummed me out lol, not the kind of game I want story in

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
*remembers final fantasy XIII-2 got a perfect score by famitsu*

Grain of salt. Of course though, we know that MHW is going to be amazing, so it isn't like a near perfect score was unexpected.