• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Surely that 2 million figure can't be accurate. That would be a mind blowing result especially when the PS4 has only just passed 6 million consoles sold.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good sales in japan. Great sales worldwide capcom got what they wanted and sony got the killer game in japan. Everybody win

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Wait over 2 million FW counting digital?!?! WOW! Very impressive HW sales too. Looks like this might just go on to be the most successful MH game ever with its added success in the west. Awesome to see.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
I am kinda skeptical at famitsu saying it is estimated to be over 2 million including digital sales. 750k+ digital sales in 3 days for Japan?
Didn't someone say it was sold out in retail stores? I mean Japan like them Monster Hunters and PSN seems like a place that would get higher digital sales compare to Nintendo's digital store.

Oct 28, 2017
Capcom

source.gif

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
650k digital doesn't make sense in japan I will wait for official numbers.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
2 million opening with digital. This is next level sales record and sale ratio for users is even more insane since PS4 is at 6 million and some.

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness, sales over 2M including digital

2M with digital is incredible

Surely that 2 million figure can't be accurate. That would be a mind blowing result especially when the PS4 has only just passed 6 million consoles sold.

Wait over 2 million FW counting digital?!?!

2 million opening with digital.

it's Famitsu's prediction of overall sales including digital. It's not an actual statistic, we'd have to wait another week to see that.

Deleted member 5015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great result for a great Game. I personally am not really into it, but I can see why people praise it. Hope this continues to sell well and further encourages devolopers and publishers to release complete and well designed games.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Damn seems Capcom's gamble paid off. I remember a lot of people thinking this move would kill Capcom when announced.
Most be really happy and hopeful over at Capcom, seems it was well deserved.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
If its over 2 million including digital, that means it has the potential to be the highest launch japanese sales ever recorded for the series. Put that in perspective. And apparently due to this launch, it was PS4's second highest console week ever. I think it did pretty decently.

I originally was unsure of its impact due to not being on handhelds, but it seems atleast initially, it went far above expectations.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Wait over 2 million FW counting digital?!?! WOW! Very impressive HW sales too. Looks like this might just go on to be the most successful MH game ever with its added success in the west. Awesome to see.

It won't even be close. Has any other MH game actually shipped 5 million WW? It's practically the best selling entry in the franchise after 1 week.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
it probably sold gangbusters in the west aswell, like everyone I know got the game (well, except the PC only peeps).

my heroes of the storm posse all got the game ffs lol

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't someone say it was sold out in retail stores? I mean Japan like them Monster Hunters and PSN seems like a place that would get higher digital sales compare to Nintendo's digital store.
Yeah but even considering that it seems way too high considering how Japan is known for much lower digital sales ratio compared to other places.

Suw4rbox

Alt-Account.
Banned
Dec 2, 2017
My goodness, what would be the split for worldwide sales? PS4 is definitely 90% or more lol. Dayum!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So..

1. best-rated in metacritic
2. best-selling worldwide
3. best-selling in Japan

What's the next test?

I think at this point it'll top all major or important previous metrics. Ultimately switching platforms was a huge success, and the PC version isn't even out yet!

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2mil is not a real number.

It is nothing more than a prediction based on nothing, from the guy who expected DQXI to surpass Pokemon. He likes to bullshit his numbers high.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
33% higher than I anticipated, it's a huge result for a PS4 game - slightly under DQXI LTD numbers during it's launch week. No doubt the biggest PS4 game in Japan. Also those hardware numbers are very impressive. With the game selling out after the initial shipment it should have a smaller than anticipated drop next week.

OP
OP
Sammy Samusu

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
What does it mean:

- Best selling PS4 game at launch;
- Best selling PS4 game life to date, as soon as next week's report;
- Including digital sales, the game is expected to sell 2 million copies [pending confirmation], a first for PlayStation platforms since Monster Hunter Freedom 3, released in 2010 for PSP;
- Best selling console Monster Hunter
- Fifth best launch in the series, below past handheld entries

Code:
Platform     Title                           First Week    Total
PSP          Monster Hunter Freedom 3        2.146.467     4.502.846  
3DS          Monster Hunter 4                1.875.115     3.897.628  
3DS          Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate       1.617.949     2.667.398  
3DS          Monster Hunter Generations      1.542.104     3.136.563  
PS4          Monster Hunter World            1.350.412
3DS          Monster Hunter XX               1.014.584     1.795.449  
PSP          Monster Hunter Freedom Unite      823.265     2.453.132  
PSP          Monster Hunter Freedom 2          746.313     1.723.187  
WII          Monster Hunter 3                  582.548     1.077.273
No digital included for any of those games.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If its over 2 million including digital, that means it has the potential to be the highest launch japanese sales ever recorded for the series. Put that in perspective. And apparently due to this launch, it was PS4's second highest console week ever. I think it did pretty decently.

I originally was unsure of its impact due to not being on handhelds, but it seems atleast initially, it went far above expectations.
It wont have the legs to hit it tho, PS4 iserbase is too small

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
2mil is not a real number.

It is nothing more than a prediction based on nothing, from the guy who expected DQXI to surpass Pokemon. He likes to bullshit his numbers high.

The number is from famitsu. Not gematsu IIRC. Also, no need to attack people's credibility

It wont have the legs to hit it tho, PS4 iserbase is too small

To hit "what"? I said highest launch sales ever, that is not out of reach based on these numbers.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The day D3 Publisher announced Earth Defense Force 5 crossed 300,000 sales, Media Create showed its total at 212,000, meaning 88,000 were digital sales. If Earth Defense Force 5 can do 88,000, I'm sure Monster Hunter: World can do six or seven times that.

Maybe, I dunno, I'm not really a sales expert.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
word around the media creates thread was that most of the initial physical stock went out as pre orders

The initial pre-order count was 600k for supply and additional units on top of that for launch. All stores saw massive restocks the following day, supply did not run out until *this* week which is not yet part of this report. Supply will replenished today.

There has been no major shortages.

The number is from famitsu. Not gematsu IIRC

I know who its from, I am talking about Famitsu.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... That is an insane number , I was expecting 900k or something. And its without digital? I think this is gonna set a new record for Console game sales this gen.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The trade off in sales in Japan is greatly exceeded by the huge growth WW.

Capcom made the right decision for once.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
The day D3 Publisher announced Earth Defense Force 5 crossed 300,000 sales, Media Create showed its total at 212,000, meaning 88,000 were digital sales. If Earth Defense Force 5 can do 88,000, I'm sure Monster Hunter: World can do six or seven times that.

Maybe, I dunno, I'm not really a sales expert.
You don't need to defend man. You are just the messenger.