• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caliaztec

Oct 27, 2017
Palm Desert,CA
But to be fair, everyone should be able to play MHW on any platform, it isn't fair to leave Switch out all alone. However please make sure MHGU stays exclusive, not eveyone needs to play that one, only for Nintendo.

I'm sorry but why should Switch gamers get to experinence MHW but a port of Generations to other consoles and PC so outta the question? How could you possibly justify this in the least how it's not fair that Switch can't play World but it's fully okay to ignore all others and keep MHGU locked only to switch? WTF kinda ass backward logic is that?

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but why should Switch gamers get to experinence MHW but a port of Generations to other consoles and PC so outta the question? How could you possibly justify this in the least how it's not fair that Switch can't play World but it's fully okay to ignore all others and keep MHGU locked only to switch? WTF kinda ass backward logic is that?
Because its a Nintendo franchise. ;)

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well deserved. It's a great game. Nice to see Capcom is smashing all their records and that people who claimed that was going to fail outside Nintendo hardware and outside portables is now eating crow.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats to Capcom. Looking forward to the next MH releasing on PC same date as major consoles. It's a meaty game and it was obvious it would find many fans on PC.

Bird

Dec 7, 2017
Florida
200.gif

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The game has def sold at least 2m on Pc going by the history of steam peak numbers. Steamspy puts it at
Owners 2,442,000, lets say its 10% off it still sold over 2m.

Steamspy owner said something about his new method in latest blog.

Nov 2, 2017
So the few people that are agains a second versión of MH exclusive or not to portables (be it MH5 or portable 4rd), are ignoring that Capcom banked a lot from a yearly MH portable release. 10 million+ units sold every 3-5 years (AAA games time production) and without expansions generate less money than 3-5 games selling 5-6 millions every year. PSP and 3DS MH games demostrate that be it in a Sony or Nintendo portable; there is at least 5 millions potential buyers that can yearly buy a MH (even in Japan there is a market of 3-4 millions yearly for MH portable). Capcom wont do a Crapcom and ignore the portable market, and not now that there is a portable with a Tegra chip that can support AAA games like never before.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wasn't the game completely dropped from WeGames and everyone refunded?!
Yeah. My point was just that even if there wasn't any refunds, any PR from Capcom would include wegame sales, it wouldn't be just steam.
I mean, you're taking Capcom's numbers a little too literally. It's not like MHW just hit exactly 10M. It may have hit(and surpassed) 10M last week, but they only talked about the milestone today. Being at 10.5M~~ or so wouldn't be weird.
They didn't say the sold 10,000,000 copies. They said they sold more than 10 thousand copies. It could be 10.3, 10.5, or 10.7.
That said, StemSpy numbers could be off, anything between 1.8-2.3m copies sounds reasonable to me.
You can be sure they'd say in the PR if it was at 10.5M rather than 10 or 10.1M.
Damn this game just keeps impressing.
In terms of sales, definitely.
The game has def sold at least 2m on Pc going by the history of steam peak numbers. Steamspy puts it at
Owners 2,442,000, lets say its 10% off it still sold over 2m.

Steamspy owner said something about his new method in latest blog.
I mean, last public he released (as in free) said the new steamspy was still pretty inaccurate, and had outliers with up to 30% difference. If it improved recently and he said so on his patreon, I take your word for it.
I'm sure you understand why people trust official numbers straight from the publisher more than estimate though.

Deleted member 46008

user requested account closure
Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Damn, watching this series grow in the west since Tri has been nothing short of amazing. Great future ahead for MH fans!

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
What is it with this game and people constantly trying to underestimate its sales ? Can someone please think of the crows ?

There are still people here trying to prove it didn't sell 2m on PC. I highly doubt a game that only sold 1.5m would have 320k Concurrent. It just seems weirdly high given the sales data. I guess once Capcom put out another statement people will be proved wrong yet again.

You can be sure they'd say in the PR if it was at 10.5M rather than 10 or 10.1M.

I kinda doubt that. First of all they mention Over 10 million sales. And also look at this.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/salesdata.html

Capcom only update in increments of 100k for stuff that sells below 10m. They update to the next decimal point. Stuff like RE,SF,MH,DMC only get updated every 1m shipment.

MHW is their first SKU to cross 10m tho , so it would be interesting to see if they follow this pattern in their individual SKU sales chart as well.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
Where is 3m on PC coming from? Last report I'd heard was around 2m.
It was a PS4 exclusive in the Japanese market, so I'd say the breakdown is probably 6m PS4, 2m XBO and 2m PC (so far).

Yeah, but WoW (along with Dota and League) is a very different kind of complex than MHW. The audience of hardcore MMO and MOBA players probably doesn't overlap a ton with quirky Japanese multiplayer ARPGs. If it does, it's not a predictable overlap.

I edited it out, but yeah, the WeGame numbers were supposedly a million or so on their own, but then that whole thing went south, so idfk what's going on there.

The claim that Western audiences can't handle complex games is patently absurd and false.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So we are arguing if it's over 10 million or not now even though the OP literally says it's over?

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I edited it out, but yeah, the WeGame numbers were supposedly a million or so on their own, but then that whole thing went south, so idfk what's going on there.

The claim that Western audiences can't handle complex games is patently absurd and false.
No, the one million number comes from registrations, which didn't require any money.

Alej

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It seems people are arguing whether those are double dippers or not, because "if they are, it doesnt count" or sth. like that.

No one ever said something like that. And double dippers would obviously count (???).

We know for sure that consoles SKUs amount to 8.3M minimum, that's a fact. And then, you can conclude that the PC SKU is at 1.5M minimum or so (because the 8.3M figure was from June 30th, so you can add 100-200k on consoles).

The Steam 2M+ figure comes from SteamSpy and goes against this PR right here (we would have 10.5M+ total right now). It doesn't say PC isn't at least at 2M, we don't know, but i think they would have said 10.5M+ if it would have passed that mark, it's an opinion. We honestly don't know, nor the guys pretending it must have passed 2M like an official word.

It's not done in order to downplay any figures. I can talk about me, i think PC SKU will pass 4M in his lifetime easily and should amount to 25/30% of the total in the end. Anyone trying to downplay those overall numbers or even the almost unprecedented (for a japanese game) Steam figure (1.5M to 2.1M i would say) is dishonest and trying to shit on the game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious that going by the concurrent numbers of MHW and the fact that it still hasn't left the top 1 seller spot that it surpassed 2 million quite some time ago. I'm sure when Capcom updates the numbers again crows shall be had and etc, but i mean, you just have to look at steam's history in numbers/concurrent players to see that.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
But to be fair, everyone should be able to play MHW on any platform, it isn't fair to leave Switch out all alone. However please make sure MHGU stays exclusive, not eveyone needs to play that one, only for Nintendo.

They. literally... said... switch is getting another game

Guys we are in best case scenario for the series as far as growth and health

Its long past time to reunite the two camps.

Everyone is winning and yet people cant see the forest from the trees

Get this.. a world where portable players, console players, and PC bros all get served MH goodness on a silver platter

That is our reality. Please be excited

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They. literally... said... switch is getting another game

Guys we are in best case scenario for the series as far as growth and health

Its long past time to reunite the two camps.

Everyone is winning and yet people cant see the forest from the trees

Get this.. a world where portable players, console players, and PC bros all get served MH goodness on a silver platter

That is our reality. Please be excited
Yeah, hopefully it will be exclusive while World 2 also releases on Switch. ;)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I would hope they just continue to build on the great foundation that is MHW.
World 2 can come next gen
I think Gen 5 has a long life ahead of it. G rank DLC/rerelease, PX-team's Switch game, PS5/Scarlett World ports. Preplanning on MH6/W2 likely started already though too even if it's probably 4 years away.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
damn, if only they'd released the game on the switch, it wouldn't have been such a bomba; oh well, im sure monster hunter generations on switch will save--oh, wait, ten million, you say? who could have guessed that a game with a huge focus on multiplayer and long play sessions would do well on computers? crazy.

I think my favorite comment in the old MH threads was when some guy said it would be better for Capcom to make MH5 on 3ds. lol. So out of touch. Glad to see MH where it belongs.
This. And if you even suggested MH should go to higher spec machines you were blasted and labeled and banned. Even the mods got in on the childishness at times. SMH. This if a prime example of why you can't mistreat someone that says something that prompts a bunch of angry responses. So often the mob is wrong.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter GU will sell more on the Switch than this. Switch is a beast and its perfectly fit for games like this.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
This makes me happy for so many reasons. This shows that the demand for MH is indeed there worldwide and hopefully for any future installments, we will see plenty more worldwide releases.

I said this once and I'll say it again: 2018 is the year of Monster Hunter. Between the Guest appearance in MvC:I (if we pretend the year started when the DLC add-on occured), the launch of World, the crossover with Final Fantasy, Generations Ultimate launching fairly soon and the Rathalos also being a Boss/Assist in Smash Ultimate, there is no better time to be a MH Fan than right now.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
This makes me happy for so many reasons. This shows that the demand for MH is indeed there worldwide and hopefully for any future installments, we will see plenty more worldwide releases.

I said this once and I'll say it again: 2018 is the year of Monster Hunter. Between the Guest appearance in MvC:I (if we pretend the year started when the DLC add-on occured), the launch of World, the crossover with Final Fantasy, Generations Ultimate launching fairly soon and the Rathalos also being a Boss/Assist in Smash Ultimate, there is no better time to be a MH Fan than right now.

This is the proper reaction

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter GU will sell more on the Switch than this. Switch is a beast and its perfectly fit for games like this.

MHGU selling as much as MK8 and Odyssey while selling more than BotW? Trust me, that would be great to hear, but I can't bring myself into thinking that it would be possible. Still getting my copy next week.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
a friend of mine is sharing it with me via steam, and god damn the game is so addicting,

only having like 30 monsters is a big bummer tho

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
a friend of mine is sharing it with me via steam, and god damn the game is so addicting,

only having like 30 monsters is a big bummer tho

Its the 5th gen opener and I mean... just look at how much work they had to put in already! The craftsmanship in World clearly was a huge undertaking but now that the foundations are done Expect it to expand rapidly in the near future!

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017

You joke but I dont think is on the best interest of Capcom to re-release older games in consoles that can play World. So many new players would hate it. They should just move forward.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
damn, if only they'd released the game on the switch, it wouldn't have been such a bomba; oh well, im sure monster hunter generations on switch will save--oh, wait, ten million, you say? who could have guessed that a game with a huge focus on multiplayer and long play sessions would do well on computers? crazy.

I think my favorite comment in the old MH threads was when some guy said it would be better for Capcom to make MH5 on 3ds. lol. So out of touch. Glad to see MH where it belongs.

everything in your post was fine until you said the last bit,

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
You joke but I dont think is on the best interest of Capcom to re-release older games in consoles that can play World. So many new players would hate it. They should just move forward.

People wanted this game pretty badly so we will see how it does

Im at least happy they bothered to localize it as fans of the series have typically been stuck with only 50% of the games made being localized

The next switch game will most definitely be using World as the base and anyone who remembers 3rd gen knows that outside of underwater combat being removed Portable 3rd and MH Tri weren't that divergent from one another in most respects

We will see how they handle all the games going forward. Im excited for this much larger in scope future!