• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vala

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180305.html

- Becomes the best-selling title in Capcom's history -
Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that Monster Hunter: World for the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Xbox One*1 has shipped 7.5 million units worldwide (including digital download sales). A PC version is to be released at a later date.

The Monster Hunter series consists of hunting action games that pit players against giant monsters in a beautiful natural environment. The series has sparked a social phenomenon known as the "Monster Hunter Craze" by introducing a new kind of communication style for players through cooperative play focused on hunting monsters with their friends. Since the first Monster Hunter title made its debut 14 years ago in 2004, the series has attracted a dedicated fan base, and overall grown into a mega-hit with cumulative sales of more than 48 million units worldwide as of March 5, 2018.

Monster Hunter: World is the latest entry in the series, and the first new Monster Hunter title for home consoles in nine years. It is also the first title in the series to be given a global simultaneous launch, and was given an ambitious worldwide promotional campaign in order to further build upon its fan base both in Japan and in markets overseas. As a result, Monster Hunter: World has overcome both linguistic and cultural barriers to delight approximately 7 million players worldwide, and has shipped 7.5 million units, making it the best-selling title in company history.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats on the success, Capcom. And that number is only gonna go even further up by the time the PC port drops.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That means it "dethrones" Resident Evil 5, which has sold 7.3 million units according to Capcom's IR site. However, the site separately lists "Gold Edition" with 2.3 million and the current gen remaster with 1.0 million.

Still impressive obvs.

Last edited:

EightBitNate

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
And PC isn't even out yet. Damn.

Am I the only one who thought Capcom was fucked at the beginning of this gen? Seems to have turned things around.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
God damn this game is a massive success. Congrats to Capcom once again for finding its hit for the generation.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I really want to see some break downs in sales, by region and by platform

10 million is a lock. This will be a huge hit on PC.

Was never interested in Monster Hunter before but I bought into the hype and respected Capcom's ambition. 70 hours later (and counting) I'm happy with my purchase.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I opted for DBFZ over MHW (I go by the "Fighting Games First" mentality), but I have every intention of getting MHW eventually.
I ended up getting both at the same time. Love me some fighting games but I love Monster Hunter more. Plus I worked some extra shifts over Christmas so I had the cash.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
So Hamamura was right. 10 mil doesn't seem impossible at this point with PC version coming out.

What a success.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved, first MH i actually put hours into. It seems the wait to put it on major consoles have paid off. I anxiously await the PC version as finishing World has left a void.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I really want to see some break downs in sales, by region and by platform

10 million is a lock. This will be a huge hit on PC.

Was never interested in Monster Hunter before but I bought into the hype and respected Capcom's ambition. 70 hours later (and counting) I'm happy with my purchase.
Platform sales are probably in PS4's favor in light of the game's Japanese PS4 exclusivity as well as the Sony-centric marketing for the game.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
With all those copies I'm surprised there's no post-launch content yet. Jho coming soon, but they should really be trying to keep the needle in our veins.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? What about Resident Evil 5? Isn't this one with more than 8 million?

Edit: Wow, it's 7.3 (even if they're not counting the PS4 version for some reason).

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
TOwUSLy.gif

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? What about Resident Evil 5? Isn't this one with more than 8 million?

Edit: Wow, it's 7.3 (even if they're not counting the PS4 version for some reason).

Yeah I think they aren't counting the remaster; not even the "Gold Edition", which is listed separately with 2.3 million.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The franchise needed this evolution. Congrats Capcom for the masterful move.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
That is 1.5M in a month or 4 weeks. This is seriously impressive for its legs.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Platform sales are probably in PS4's favor in light of the game's Japanese PS4 exclusivity as well as the Sony-centric marketing for the game.
That's obvious.
I want to see a breakdown anyway. It definitely sold well on Xbox, I find matches and have my sos flares answered pretty easily

Nov 1, 2017
And PC isn't even out yet. Damn.

Am I the only one who thought Capcom was fucked at the beginning of this gen? Seems to have turned things around.
Monster Hunter World is fantastic and the success is deserved but I wouldn't call this one game turning it around. Most of what they've done this gen has been a failure either critically, commercially or amongst fans.

It'd be awesome if this did end up being the first step in a comeback for good Capcom. I hope to God Mega Man 11 and the next Dead Rising end up being actually good but I'm still a bit skeptical after DR4, SFV and MvCI's shortcomings.

Oct 25, 2017
What a incredible success. Really enjoying it too so well deserved. Here's hoping mega man 11 can knock it out of the park too

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
B-bu-but it's shipped not sold! As if they won't be shipping that high if the demand is low.

I'm just happy for Capcom, they're finally getting their groove back. Hopefully this kind of marketing push and polish applies to DMCV :)

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know which platform isn't getting the next MH game now.