• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tenbatsu

Oct 27, 2017
ah... thanks. figured as much. Although I always assumed "kill time" only starts when you enter the area, but I guess they're using the ingame counter.
Watching the video again just made me realize how much I've yet to see in XX, haven't even touched the apex(?) variants so far :/ and then there's still that special diablos looming in the background
Apex variants? You mean the hyper monsters?

Bloodlust Diablos is pretty easy to unlock, all you need to do is to clear one of each deviants.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apex variants? You mean the hyper monsters?

Bloodlust Diablos is pretty easy to unlock, all you need to do is to clear one of each deviants.

Nah, apparently I meant the deviants. Since I didn't play generations and haven't played a single monster hunter in english I'm not quite familiar with the correct terminology ... be it deviants, apex, hyper or whatever

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Sorry for the threadbumb but Pixelpar on twitter heard rumblings about MonsterHunter XX potentially getting a localisation (soon?). Any insider here heard anything regarding double cross?

Dingens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That sounds kinda dubious at best...
(also, who is Pixelpar?)

Dingens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sure hope you're going to buy it soon since I recently would like to get back to playing it online a little more before Nintendo pulls the plug

Last edited:

Dingens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Eh? What do you mean "Nintendo pulls the plug"? Paid online?

Yeah I should've probably written "before they pull the plug on me" since I don't plan on paying.
Thankfully there's still free online for PC gaming and now there's a proper MH coming... but that's not exactly the one I want to play, sadly

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a random question, but... FINALLY got to unlocked HR with friends (have barely been able to play until recently) and... do you have to clear out all the lower ranked Deviants to unlock the G rank ones or something? Went to try the Arzuros one in the quest menu that requires tickets and... the quest started us off in the manner of low rank, and didn't seem too hard. At this point the goal was just to hunt one of everything we hadn't hunted ever before calling it more or less for the game, but that's kind of a bummer if the G Rank Deviants would require grinding through a ton of lower ranked quests to get at. Or maybe Arzuros just sucks that hard, I dunno. Anyone have anything to offer on the matter?

(Also not sure we'll hit White Fatalis, as my HR is 37, and you need to be 100 to unlock him, right? The other HR locked things we've never touched seem to be in the DLC so it's fine, but not him.)

Corginand

Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a random question, but... FINALLY got to unlocked HR with friends (have barely been able to play until recently) and... do you have to clear out all the lower ranked Deviants to unlock the G rank ones or something? Went to try the Arzuros one in the quest menu that requires tickets and... the quest started us off in the manner of low rank, and didn't seem too hard. At this point the goal was just to hunt one of everything we hadn't hunted ever before calling it more or less for the game, but that's kind of a bummer if the G Rank Deviants would require grinding through a ton of lower ranked quests to get at. Or maybe Arzuros just sucks that hard, I dunno. Anyone have anything to offer on the matter?

According to some of these comments, you need to do all of the Low/High Rank deviant quests and beat the G-rank version of the original monster to unlock the G1 quest for the old deviants. There might be some additional requirements for a few of them (I read somewhere that you need to lift the HR limit for Hellblade).

For the new deviants beating the original monster should be enough except for Diablos. I'm still not 100% sure about how to unlock Diablos, but it seems you only need to fight the other new deviants at least once and be at least HR60.

(Also not sure we'll hit White Fatalis, as my HR is 37, and you need to be 100 to unlock him, right? The other HR locked things we've never touched seem to be in the DLC so it's fine, but not him.)

Each Fatalis has a DLC quest. You'll see 3 quests with the '?' symbol almost at the end of the list, just before the Prowler quests. First one is Regular/Black, second is Crimson and the last one is White. They hit harder and have more HP than in their unlockables so be careful. Oh and yeah, the unlockable White Fatalis quest is a HR100 unlock.

Dingens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
damn... still so much content left I haven't even touched yet

give me a call when you're going to grind through all deviants and happen to have a free spot on your group!

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
damn... still so much content left I haven't even touched yet

give me a call when you're going to grind through all deviants and happen to have a free spot on your group!
Ah, yeah, unfortunately my group is probably not going to hold together long enough to grind through all the deviants. Looks like the plan is probably to just do one quest of each and accept that a good number of them will be kind of pathetic as they're stuck at low rank or whatever. It's pretty lame that you have to do like 10 weaker fights for each of them before you get to face the properly challenging versions for each one, though, and puts a bit of a damper on my group's endgame plans, haha.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, anyone else hoping that there will be a way to convert JP XX save to EN XX save?

Really don't want to progress through everything again.

Goddamit Capcom.

Dingens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there will be a convert tool... I just hope for compatibility between the two versions...

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there will be a convert tool... I just hope for compatibility between the two versions...

I meant something in the homebrew scene. That's how I converted my NA Gen save to JP X and then to JP XX save. But we don't even have an English 3DS release.

Best way would be to make it a global SKU but I pretty much know that Capcom wouldn't do that.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hey all, is it worth making the jump to XX even if I haven't progressed much in X? (Playing only on a Japanese 3DS, no hacks, etc.)

I've been enjoying World on PS4, but still get a hankering for a classic portable hunt from time to time, and wondering if it's a good idea to keep up with the times.
My only main gripe is that I keep buying digital, so I have no way to sell the old stuff, and it just jams up my 3DS...

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, is it worth making the jump to XX even if I haven't progressed much in X? (Playing only on a Japanese 3DS, no hacks, etc.)

If you haven't progressed much in X and don't have a burning need to use Brave/Alchemy styles, then you might as well stick with X, at least until you complete the story and/or the multiplayer. All of the XX stuff comes after that, so you can decide then whether you want to take the plunge.

Another factor is how active the online multiplayer in X is. If lots of people are still playing online, then you're good. If not, then maybe you should consider moving to XX after you've done X's single-player content, since the online scene for XX is still very active.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the advice!
I don't even know what Brave/Alchemy styles are (haven't done much research), and I'm primarily playing offline, so I guess I'll stick with X for now.

I take it there's enough new content to warrant transferring a character save over from X after finishing the story?

Pagoto93

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Thinking of getting this though I've never played a MH game before. Is this an experience like Nioh where the core gameplay is instantly gratifying or is it one of those grindy RPGs that gets good after a few hours.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of getting this though I've never played a MH game before. Is this an experience like Nioh where the core gameplay is instantly gratifying or is it one of those grindy RPGs that gets good after a few hours.
It takes a while to get good. One of the worst things this game does is front load you with a bunch of boring fetch quests. Now most of said fetch quests are actually optional, but the game never tells you that. In order to avoid getting stuck in fetch quest hell I would recommend taking a look at this list and only doing fetch quests that are marked as key quests. https://mhxxx.kiranico.com/quest

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Nioh, but this isn't a game where the gameplay mechanics that make the game interesting to play are slowly doled out to you over a long time like in some JRPGs, if that's what you mean. You have access to each weapon and their complete movesets from the beginning and the monsters are fun to fight from the beginning once you get used to the weird controls. Unfortunately the game does have some required gathering quests at the beginning for an hour or two (?) before the game really gets into the large monster hunts that make up like 90% of the game. If you want to see the style of gameplay for yourself, there will probably be a demo available before release that will let you jump right into a few different boss fights with preset armor and items just like what you might use in any hunt later in the game.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this is your first MH, I strongly suggest trying another one first, like MH4U or MH World. This game is an anniversary special, so it assumes you know how to play the game and doesn't spend a lot of time getting you up to speed (this is mostly offloaded to a bunch of tutorial quests).

There will almost certainly be a demo closer to release (there always is), so I second the previous post and urge you to try that before you buy this. The demo throws you right into the core gameplay, so it should give you a good idea of what to expect and you can experiment with the weapons/styles without needing to care about your armor setup.

As for the core gameplay, it varies a lot depending on which weapon/style you pick. Your entire weapon set/moveset is available from the start (or in the demo), but there's going to be some degree of experimentation before you find a weapon that really clicks for you. Monster Hunter is less about grinding stats and more about finding a weapon that speaks to you and improving your skill with it.

I take it there's enough new content to warrant transferring a character save over from X after finishing the story?

Absolutely. It expands the story with a new high-rank campaign which brings back a bunch of classic monsters, plus G-rank on top of the multiplayer. If you were to start XX from scratch, you'd literally be doing all of X again before hitting the new content.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Absolutely. It expands the story with a new high-rank campaign which brings back a bunch of classic monsters, plus G-rank on top of the multiplayer. If you were to start XX from scratch, you'd literally be doing all of X again before hitting the new content.
Hadn't thought of that. It's actually kind of tempting...

How does DLC work when transferring or starting fresh? Do you still have access to all of the DLC that came out since launch for both X and XX?

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't thought of that. It's actually kind of tempting...

How does DLC work when transferring or starting fresh? Do you still have access to all of the DLC that came out since launch for both X and XX?
The DLC is available for everyone permanently as soon as it's released. You just have to go online and download it.

I actually don't know if there are any event quests released for X that become unavailable if you transfer to XX--I couldn't go online in X. Googling around a bit, I'm not sure if you lose any DLC gear, it seems like some people lost at least something but others are saying it's just because people used a hack to convert their Gen save (which had western exclusive stuff) to X before transferring to XX.

Last edited:

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
The DLC is available for everyone permanently as soon as it's released. You just have to go online and download it.

I actually don't know if there are any event quests released for X that become unavailable if you transfer to XX--I couldn't go online in X. Googling around a bit, I'm not sure if you lose any DLC gear, it seems like some people lost at least something but others are saying it's just because people used a hack to convert their Gen save (which had western exclusive stuff) to X before transferring to XX.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate the quick responses.
I think I found what you managed to Google, and there was a pretty extensive write-up of what gets transferred (lifted from Reddit):

HR 9 or higher will be reset to HR8, all hunter rank points will be reset to a fixed value.

Hunter Rank and play time from MHX are apparently reflected in an award or something when brought over to XX.

When transferring data you can change the gender / appearance of your hunter before playing MHXX, armors will automatically convert to the appropriate gender if the aforementioned armor has a gender equivalent, if it does not the armor will be sold for Zenny. If the armor is sold, any decorations attached to it will be removed and dropped in your item box, if there's no room in there it will be sold as well.

Weapons, Armor, Items, Zenny, Palico equipment will be carried over, for balance purposes the values on some items may change though to reflect changes in the two games.

Upgrades on armors are carried over.

Permissions and progress on all Non-Event and Non-Challenge quests will be carried over, some event quests, challenge quests, titles, guild card backgrounds and poses will be re-released at a later date.

Palicos will be retained alongside their levels, however if you have not scouted them from the list or you have not downloaded the dlc palicos before transfer, those will be deleted upon arrival in game.

If you have Palicos doing Intensive training when the transfer is done, Palicos will be returned to the stable as normal, but their stats will reflect as if they had finished the training, stats for palicos are also getting rebalanced as well.

Quests, Palicos, and guild cards in the Courier's mailbox are not transferred, guild cards already downloaded or obtained from other players online will be kept.

Meowster hunter quests, Hunters for hire quests, Trader Requests, and some other request (couldn't hear him properly) will be treated as if they had been completed, items you do not accept after are discarded and zenny/items you used to start the request are not returned.

Guild card's Unity points, Hunter Journal, Registered Equipment, and card list do not get transferred.

Item combo list order, Palico scounting conditions and your block list do not transfer.

I think I might purchase XX and transfer sooner rather than later, after doing some house-keeping and making sure everything is ready on my current X save.
This sort of iterative approach is a nightmare for someone like me who enjoys starting fresh, but also takes time to finish games, but I appreciate the effort that goes in. They seem to manage it very gracefully with MH.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hey guys, I have generations on 3ds, and the game was rather easier compared to 4U

Does this one get much harder with G rank added? Since I will be getting ultimate on Switch

If so, how is the challenge with G rank compared to 4U?

Thanks.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I have generations on 3ds, and the game was rather easier compared to 4U

Does this one get much harder with G rank added? Since I will be getting ultimate on Switch

If so, how is the challenge with G rank compared to 4U?

Thanks.
I think most would agree it's harder than Gen but not as hard as 4U. Exactly where it sits on that scale, I'm not sure. I never actually got around to the hardest quests in XX like Massacre Demon Diablos or the final level of many Deviants, though Astalos's deviant is fucking ridiculous.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think most would agree it's harder than Gen but not as hard as 4U. Exactly where it sits on that scale, I'm not sure. I never actually got around to the hardest quests in XX like Massacre Demon Diablos or the final level of many Deviants, though Astalos's deviant is fucking ridiculous.
Alright, sounds good

Hopefully we get to MH4U level of difficulty on future games

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I would say that between the Super Deviants and 140 GQ, Super Deviants are definitely harder even with styles. They usually have almost-Frontier levels of bullshit AoE super attacks that can oneshot you easily.

in XX, I rarely saw anyone with transmogged Deviant sets (You need to beat the Super Deviant if you want to transmog the armour of that particular Deviant). I think I saw maybe one Bloodlust Diablos set and no Azure Lightning Astalos set.