• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
http://thehill.com/policy/technolog...-implement-net-neutrality-rules-following-fcc
Montana Gov. Steve Bullock (D) signed an executive order on Monday requiring internet service providers with state contracts to abide by net neutrality principles.

The order makes his state the first to push back on the Federal Communications Commission's decision to repeal the open internet rules last month.

"There has been a lot of talk around the country about how to respond to the recent decision by the Federal Communications Commission to repeal net neutrality rules, which keep the internet free and open. It's time to actually do something about it," Bullock said in a statement.

"This is a simple step states can take to preserve and protect net neutrality. We can't wait for folks in Washington DC to come to their senses and reinstate these rules."

The order says that in order to receive a contract with the state government, internet service providers must not engage in blocking or throttling web content or create internet fast lanes. Those practices were all banned under the Obama-era 2015 net neutrality order.

The Republican FCC voted to dismantle those rules in December.

Democrats are fighting back by pushing for legislation in Congress that would wipe out the FCC vote, suing to overturn it and now by implementing laws at the state level. They argue the rules were an important check on the power of companies that control access to the internet, such as Comcast and Verizon.

But most Republicans, including FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, argue the rules were unnecessary and that existing laws are sufficient to preserve an open internet.

Bullock's office said the executive order goes into effect immediately, but there will be a six-month grace period for companies to ensure that they're in compliance.

The governor said on Monday that he is encouraging his counterparts and legislators in other states to follow suit, promising to personally email a copy of his order to any who ask for it.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Good for Montana and their governor, even though this man's constituents overwhelmingly voted for President Ajit Pai. I guess they can be thanked for the good press opportunity.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we see more of this.

Also pai wanted to have federal law superceed state law for stuff like this so I can't wait until the lawsuits come in for this.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I did a double take because I was not expecting that from Montana. But they are the least Republican friendly (non-coastal) state in the region.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet! The 11 people who have internet in MT will be happy to hear this

j/k don't hurt me

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the confusion is is coming from the fact that

Montana...Democratic govenor.....net neutrality.........law

Were all in the same headline. Like some crazy madlib.

Anyway. Good on you Montana

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
It's been in the works, but final decisions just haven't been made yet since it was still fairly new when it happened.

Now that another state has already done so, this might make it happen sooner as there is precedence now.

That's certainly good news. Hopefully some cities will start municipal internet service offerings as well

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
That Montana of all places did this first is pretty amazing.

That I live in a state with a GOP toolbag like Doug Ducey at the helm just ensures it'll never happen as long as he's in office.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Why would there be a six month grace period? Companies got that deep in it in a month, they need 6 for compliance?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
320smilecpsce.jpg