• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

July Book Club

• The Wee Free Men - Terry Pratchett

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Half a King - Joe Ambercrombie

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Plain Kate - Erin Bow

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone last month's poll was really close again, so I'm just calling a tie in and putting them both up. Read both or just one, whatever suits your fancy :)

June book club selections:

51Wm-qgDJwL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

More than twenty years ago, the NPR correspondent Anne Garrels first visited Chelyabinsk, a gritty military-industrial center a thousand miles east of Moscow. The longtime home of the Soviet nuclear program, the Chelyabinsk region contained beautiful lakes, shuttered factories, mysterious closed cities, and some of the most polluted places on earth. Garrels's goal was to chart the aftershocks of the U.S.S.R.'s collapse by traveling to Russia's heartland.
Returning again and again, Garrels found that the area's new freedoms and opportunities were exciting but also traumatic. As the economic collapse of the early 1990s abated, the city of Chelyabinsk became richer and more cosmopolitan, even as official corruption and intolerance for minorities grew more entrenched. Sushi restaurants proliferated; so did shakedowns. In the neighboring countryside, villages crumbled into the ground. Far from the glitz of Moscow, the people of Chelyabinsk were working out their country's destiny, person by person.
In Putin Country, Garrels crafts an intimate portrait of Middle Russia. We meet upwardly mobile professionals, impassioned activists who champion the rights of orphans and disabled children, and ostentatious mafiosi. We discover surprising subcultures, such as a vibrant underground gay community and a circle of determined Protestant evangelicals. And we watch doctors and teachers trying to cope with inescapable payoffs and institutionalized negligence. As Vladimir Putin tightens his grip on power and war in Ukraine leads to Western sanctions and a lower standard of living, the local population mingles belligerent nationalism with a deep ambivalence about their country's direction. Through it all, Garrels sympathetically charts an ongoing identity crisis. In the aftermath of the Soviet Union, what is Russia? What kind of pride and cohesion can it offer? Drawing on close friendships sustained over many years, Garrels explains why Putin commands the loyalty of so many Russians, even those who decry the abuses of power they regularly encounter.
Correcting the misconceptions of Putin's supporters and critics alike, Garrels's portrait of Russia's silent majority is both essential and engaging reading at a time when cold war tensions are resurgent

51M3ymA9yNL.jpg

Is the world really falling apart? Is the ideal of progress obsolete? In this elegant assessment of the human condition in the third millennium, cognitive scientist and public intellectual Steven Pinker urges us to step back from the gory headlines and prophecies of doom, which play to our psychological biases. Instead, follow the data: In seventy-five jaw-dropping graphs, Pinker shows that life, health, prosperity, safety, peace, knowledge, and happiness are on the rise, not just in the West, but worldwide. This progress is not the result of some cosmic force. It is a gift of the Enlightenment: the conviction that reason and science can enhance human flourishing.

Far from being a naïve hope, the Enlightenment, we now know, has worked. But more than ever, it needs a vigorous defense. The Enlightenment project swims against currents of human nature--tribalism, authoritarianism, demonization, magical thinking--which demagogues are all too willing to exploit. Many commentators, committed to political, religious, or romantic ideologies, fight a rearguard action against it. The result is a corrosive fatalism and a willingness to wreck the precious institutions of liberal democracy and global cooperation.

With intellectual depth and literary flair, Enlightenment Now makes the case for reason, science, and humanism: the ideals we need to confront our problems and continue our progress.

June Poll Options:

51LRKjkdzqL._SY346_.jpg

The first in a series of Discworld novels starring the young witch Tiffany Aching.

A nightmarish danger threatens from the other side of reality. . . .

Armed with only a frying pan and her common sense, young witch-to-be Tiffany Aching must defend her home against the monsters of Fairyland. Luckily she has some very unusual help: the local Nac Mac Feegle—aka the Wee Free Men—a clan of fierce, sheep-stealing, sword-wielding, six-inch-high blue men.

Together they must face headless horsemen, ferocious grimhounds, terrifying dreams come true, and ultimately the sinister Queen of the Elves herself. . . .

51lWSFFzM3L._SY346_.jpg

Prince Yarvi has vowed to regain a throne he never wanted. But first he must survive cruelty, chains, and the bitter waters of the Shattered Sea. And he must do it all with only one good hand.

The deceived will become the deceiver.

Born a weakling in the eyes of his father, Yarvi is alone in a world where a strong arm and a cold heart rule. He cannot grip a shield or swing an axe, so he must sharpen his mind to a deadly edge.

The betrayed will become the betrayer.

Gathering a strange fellowship of the outcast and the lost, he finds they can do more to help him become the man he needs to be than any court of nobles could.

Will the usurped become the usurper?

But even with loyal friends at his side, Yarvi finds that his path may end as it began—in twists, and traps, and tragedy.

51TXPGZ8UcL.jpg

Plain Kate lives in a world of superstitions and curses, where a song can heal a wound and a shadow can work deep magic. As the wood-carver's daughter, Kate held a carving knife before a spoon, and her wooden charms are so fine that some even call her "witch-blade" -- a dangerous nickname in a town where witches are hunted and burned in the square.

51yzukjgFNL.jpg

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

----------------------------------------

Previous Book Club Threads:

• Bird Box by Josh Malerman
  • Astrophysics for People in A Hurry; Guns, Germs, and Steel (April 2018)
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (March 2018)
  • Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Feb 2018)
  • Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (Jan 2018)
  • Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky (Dec 2017)
  • We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates (Nov 2018)
  • Blindness by Jose Saramago (Feb 2014)
  • The Quiet American by Graham Greene (Jan 2014)
  • If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino (Sept 2013)
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (July 2013)
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (Feb-Mar 2013)
  • The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (September 2012)
  • Catch-22, by Joseph Heller (January 2012)
  • The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (December 2011)
  • Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West, by Cormac McCarthy (Oct 2011)
  • The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov (Sep 2011)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas (Aug 2011)
  • Master and Commander, by Patrick O'Brian (July 2011)
  • The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin (June 2011)
  • A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan (May 2011)
  • The Afghan Campaign, by Steven Pressfield (Apr 2011)
  • Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert A. Heinlein (Mar 2011)
  • Flashman, by George MacDonald Fraser (Feb 2011)

-----

Support ERA authors:

Explore

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just over halfway through Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski, the last Witcher book to be translated into English.

So far it's one of my favourites in the series. It's a standalone novel, separate from the main Witcher Saga, which I was lukewarm on. I loved the short story collections (and, of course, the games) but found the odd structure and occasional focus on characters I didn't care about in the saga to be distracting. But give me a self-contained story about Geralt and I'm yours.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
b129caa71da1808d65b24eed1929510fafd8b783.jpg

I'm a couple of chapters into Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente and dear god I love this book so far.

When the aliens come, there'll be one queue to fight them and one queue to fuck them, and the second one'll be longer by light-years.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm still chugging along on the Bill Hodges books by Stephen king. It's kind of crazy King in the second book took 200 pages to introduce his main character to the plot. The opening was pretty good though regardless of him not being there, even if King should have shortened it considerably. I'm about halfway through the book and the main plot thus far has not even really started :/ Not really sure where king is going with this, but it's entertaining enough nonetheless.

Nemesis by Asimov is enjoyable. Almost done with it and while I can agree with consensus that it's one of his weaker outings, I'm still really enjoying it. The plot kind of meanders a bit and the characterization at times can be kind of one note and flat, but the world he's built here is very interesting. If I had to sum up the title in a single word it would be "cozy". The book is a light, sort of popcorn mucher type novel that I would imagine would be fun for a light and casual read by a fireplace on a cold winter day. Perfect for me to lug around at work and pick off a chapter or two when on lunch.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Haunting of Hill House and Dhalgren are both $2 on Kindle.

I bought both. Hill House seems to have a very readable prose so far, it's quite absorbing.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Picked up my copy of this today, very excited to start reading it.

Unfortunately dropped it on the way home and that's why the slip on has a crease at the top :(

4E2yNRc.jpg

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
51qVqMLQBLL._SY346_.jpg

Started yesterday and finished today. Really liked the characters but the story was just so so. Get kind of sad that Craw and Tobias probably never see each other again. The final showdown with the evil spirit felt off as it read like it literally happened. And a book about not taking bible stories literally but as myths and fairytales was weird.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm still working on Enlightenment Now. I just got to part three.

I also started reading:

51NWJN5KHNL.jpg

Carl Sagan mentioned it in The Demon Haunted World, so that's the main reason why I started to read it. It's pretty good, I'll probably read the entire trilogy now.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Tried a different library in my county today (I went specifically there for 1 particular book) and found they have cheaper books for sale.

I borrowed:
Sacre Bleu Bleu by Christopher Moore
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt (this is the book my closer library didn't have)

And for $4 I got the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the 2 sequels.

The Dragon Tattoo trilogy is for later after we get through with a move. And the borrowed books are for while we're still in town.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I just finished The Force by Don Winslow, first book I read in 15 years or so.

Man, it was freaking awesome. Motherfuckin' Denny Malone....

Should I read The Cartel too?

OP
OP

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Finished that second Hodges book, Finders Keepers, last night. It was fun. Kinda weird that Hodges and co are barely in the book and other than the last third of it are sort of irrelevant to the plot. I said above that I was waiting on the plot to get started at the halfway point, but it's less that the plot took a while to get going and more that Hodges himself has almost nothing to do with it. I liked it a ton more than the first book overall, though. Here Hodges is treated kind of like Batman in the Nolan trilogy, and it serves his character well imo. Less is more for the codgy old bastard, and his quips hit home far more often when he's using them more like one liners than filling up page after page of dialog using them.

On to book 3!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm near the end of Let Me Lie. I think I have about 100-150 pages left. It's still not very good. Very predictable, forgettable and not that interesting. The back of the book also spoils it with its tease.

Picked up my copy of this today, very excited to start reading it.

Unfortunately dropped it on the way home and that's why the slip on has a crease at the top :(

4E2yNRc.jpg

That's too bad. It's not banged up too badly though which is good.

Enjoy the book! It's a good one.

Finished that second Hodges book, Finders Keepers, last night. It was fun. Kinda weird that Hodges and co are barely in the book and other than the last third of it are sort of irrelevant to the plot. I said above that I was waiting on the plot to get started at the halfway point, but it's less that the plot took a while to get going and more that Hodges himself has almost nothing to do with it. I liked it a ton more than the first book overall, though. Here Hodges is treated kind of like Batman in the Nolan trilogy, and it serves his character well imo. Less is more for the codgy old bastard, and his quips hit home far more often when he's using them more like one liners than filling up page after page of dialog using them.

On to book 3!

I hope to get to all three soon. I'm tempted to buy them, but don't know if I'll like them enough to spend that kind of money on them when I still want to collect Stephen King's classics.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm near the end of Let Me Lie. I think I have about 100-150 pages left. It's still not very good. Very predictable, forgettable and not that interesting. The back of the book also spoils it with its tease.

That's too bad. It's not banged up too badly though which is good.

Enjoy the book! It's a good one.

I hope to get to all three soon. I'm tempted to buy them, but don't know if I'll like them enough to spend that kind of money on them when I still want to collect Stephen King's classics.
The first book was merely okay, but the second one was pretty strong imo.

When it comes to king books of past though I'd probably rec to buy his older stuff over them. These books hit a nice niche for King fans who like his more down to earth stuff, but pound for pound there's a lot more stuff he's written that's better than these if the supernatural stuff either isn't an issue for you or it's what you like out of King the most.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm reading three different books at the moment: How to Be Miserable: 40 Strategies You Already Use; A Dance of Dragons; and Ready Player One.

A coworker leant me RPO and said if I'd really enjoy it. It's reputation online is notoriously mud, but even that couldn't prepare me for what is actually there. This is easily the worst book I've ever read. The stacks of trailers are a cool idea actually, but everything else is awful. I thought the narration was bad, but then other characters show up and there's dialogue and oh my god.

I read the first four Song of Ice and Fire books in as many months, then switched to RPO and my brain wants to die.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
51vAvkhB-8L.jpg

I am in love with this book. Also, I feel extremely motivated by it in a weird way. It's funny, it's endearing, and it's overall fucked up

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
What's happening with Bret Easton Ellis these days, has he said at any point in the past he's going to stop writing? Feel like we've not had anything new from him in a very long time.

JZrUInm.jpg

I read Patchett's most recent novel, Commonwealth, last Christmas, and I quite liked it, so I eventually got around to revisiting some of her earlier work. This appears to be her most successful novel overall, inspired by the mid-1990s Lima hostage crisis, although Patchett's take is set in an anonymous South American country and isn't really interested in the politics at all. Indeed, this is, of all things, a rather lyrical romance, primarily, as well as a paean to the unifying power of opera. It somehow works much better than a brief sketch of the plot would make it seem it should, principally because Patchett is a great prose writer and she conveys her characters' emotions very well.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Finished Let Me Lie by Claire Mackintosh. Neither of the two books I've now read by her have been great, but I See You was markedly better than Let Me Lie.

Let Me Lie is partially spoiled by a teaser on its back cover. It's a book that has twists and turns, but it doesn't have interesting characters or very interesting twists. The main characters are a lot less interesting than a side character named Murray Mackenzie, a retired cop who investigates on his own time and has a wife with personal issues. Even then they don't save the book from being anything but middling and forgettable at best.

The writing is okay, the premise is intriguing, but the story just isn't that great.

At the end of both books, she adds a twist. In I See You, the twist was crazy but at least made sense in a small way. It felt cheap, but it was what it was. In this book, the final page's twist is dumb and made me roll my eyes.

At best this is a 2.5/5. Maybe even a 2.

The first book was merely okay, but the second one was pretty strong imo.

When it comes to king books of past though I'd probably rec to buy his older stuff over them. These books hit a nice niche for King fans who like his more down to earth stuff, but pound for pound there's a lot more stuff he's written that's better than these if the supernatural stuff either isn't an issue for you or it's what you like out of King the most.

I like horror and supernatural stuff. It's what's drawn me to King.

I started Mr. Mercedes back when it came out, but didn't get invested in it and didn't get very far. I took it back to the library, though I think I'd also been losing interest in reading at the time.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Currently started on "An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back," for my Grandma Political book club. And I'm concurrently reading Howl's Moving Castle for my Book Vs. Film club.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I finished Half a King last year. I can't say that I enjoyed it. The book felt rushed and unfinished, almost like it was written and knocked out in under a year to meet a deadline. Didn't do anything for me at all.

Anyway, this month I've gone for a non fiction book. I love history and this has been on my 'to read' list for some time. Can't wait to crack into it tonight.

9781781858929.jpg

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I'm done with the course I was taking, so I'm going to miss the 25 cent books. I may drop in every so often just to see what they have, and donate some of the ones I bought back once I finish them.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
9200000040414265.jpg

Second part of 4 in the Napolitan novels series (in Dutch translation), which tells the life story of two girls growing up in Naples. This one covers adolescense. I loved the first part about childhood, as it vividly draws life in 50ies/sixties Italy, with some great character's (the narrator is a character in the story, but the real main character is her erratic, intelligent friend).

I'm 100 pages in or so, and I must say it took a while to grab me again. The series seems to be written as one continuous(ish) story, and as I left some time between the two I had a hard time getting back in to it again. There are a lot of characters (and most have nicknames too) and intrigues to keep track of. There wasn't a lot happening in those first pages either, while the previous one had a swifter pace.

But I'm starting to have a harder time putting it down again, as it seems the story starts to pick up now.

HBO is doing an (Italian) adaptation of the first novel btw.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Let Me Lie is the only book by Claire Mackintosh I haven't read, and after what you've said here I don't think I'll bother! As you've already said, her books are a good read, but nothing spectacular. I don't think I'll be sad if I don't ever read LML.

Finished Let Me Lie by Claire Mackintosh. Neither of the two books I've now read by her have been great, but I See You was markedly better than Let Me Lie.

Let Me Lie is partially spoiled by a teaser on its back cover. It's a book that has twists and turns, but it doesn't have interesting characters or very interesting twists. The main characters are a lot less interesting than a side character named Murray Mackenzie, a retired cop who investigates on his own time and has a wife with personal issues. Even then they don't save the book from being anything but middling and forgettable at best.

The writing is okay, the premise is intriguing, but the story just isn't that great.

At the end of both books, she adds a twist. In I See You, the twist was crazy but at least made sense in a small way. It felt cheap, but it was what it was. In this book, the final page's twist is dumb and made me roll my eyes.

I started Mr. Mercedes back when it came out, but didn't get invested in it and didn't get very far. I took it back to the library, though I think I'd also been losing interest in reading at the time.

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've been reading James Comey's "A Higher Loyalty".... well, more listening to the audio, I drive a lot and want to know more.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just over halfway through Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski, the last Witcher book to be translated into English.

So far it's one of my favourites in the series. It's a standalone novel, separate from the main Witcher Saga, which I was lukewarm on. I loved the short story collections (and, of course, the games) but found the odd structure and occasional focus on characters I didn't care about in the saga to be distracting. But give me a self-contained story about Geralt and I'm yours.
Oh shit, I didn't know the English version was out. On that shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Mr. Mercedes starts pretty badly imo. It doesn't get that good until the last third of it, really.

The second book was so much better in that regard. King came out swinging with it, and it makes the whole thing much easier to read for it as you're hooked from the start. I'm not sure it's a very good sequel and part 2 of a planned trilogy, but it's a pretty good book nonetheless. Honestly I'd probably just read a plot synopsis of the first book and start on the second one if you really want to check them out. The last third of it really is quite good though, so you might be able to just read that and go from there.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've read barely anything in the last month or so, so I think it's time to pick something up again.

Thinking of going with Half the World next, but I don't really remember a lot about Half a King. Is this gonna be a problem?

Standalone in the sense that I could pick it up and enjoy it without reading the main Witcher saga? I was similarly lukewarm on it and ended up dropping it after the first book. Absolutely loved the short stories, though.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Still finishing up "The Legend of Final Fantasy VI." It's a bit dry in the first section because it is just a recap of the story. But later the book goes into more detail on themes and connections with the real world, which is pretty cool.

Afterward, I think I will return to "The Lathe of Heaven" because I had started reading it to see what it was like, but I got sidetracked with work and other things.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Finished The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

About to start City of Stairs

20174424.jpg

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Standalone in the sense that I could pick it up and enjoy it without reading the main Witcher saga? I was similarly lukewarm on it and ended up dropping it after the first book. Absolutely loved the short stories, though.
Yeah, definitely. It takes place in the same time period as The Last Wish, so it's before most of the main saga even takes place. It basically follows Geralt the whole time, a handful of interludes between chapters aside.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, definitely. It takes place in the same time period as The Last Wish, so it's before most of the main saga even takes place. It basically follows Geralt the whole time, a handful of interludes between chapters aside.

Ooh, nice. Seems to be pretty good length too (i.e. short-ish), so this might be just the book to get me into the reading groove again. I'll be sure to check it out later this week!

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
51q-J6jQ23L._SY346_.jpg

I got about halfway through this a couple of years ago and put it down. After watching the wonderful 2-season show, Manhattan, I decided to pick it up again. I have to say, Rhodes takes *ages* to get to Los Alamos, and there's *a lot* to wade through prior to that. I think the single most surprising thing so far was that FDR green-lighted the overall project *before* we entered the war, simply because we were scared to death that Germany would develop a bomb first.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Let Me Lie is the only book by Claire Mackintosh I haven't read, and after what you've said here I don't think I'll bother! As you've already said, her books are a good read, but nothing spectacular. I don't think I'll be sad if I don't ever read LML.

You won't be missing a lot. Some people on GoodReads liked it more than me, though, so maybe you will. I just didn't find it that interesting and am glad I'm done it.

I still need to read I Let You Go, then I'll be caught up on all her books. I saw Let Me Lie at Walmart, got intrigued and then reserved all three of her books. Since I had to wait for the new one I read I See You first and am still waiting for the first one to become available.

I don't really like her 'lazy' (I can't think of another term) final twists.

Mr. Mercedes starts pretty badly imo. It doesn't get that good until the last third of it, really.

The second book was so much better in that regard. King came out swinging with it, and it makes the whole thing much easier to read for it as you're hooked from the start. I'm not sure it's a very good sequel and part 2 of a planned trilogy, but it's a pretty good book nonetheless. Honestly I'd probably just read a plot synopsis of the first book and start on the second one if you really want to check them out. The last third of it really is quite good though, so you might be able to just read that and go from there.

Yeah, it did. I'm going to give it another shot soon though. I have all 3 out from the library.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
the-sisters-brothers.jpg

I loved this book. Both the characters and story had me from the get go. At first the story seemed very standard fair but it did not go the direction I expected. I will definitely be putting anything else by DeWitt on my wish list.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished:

25151.books.origjpg.jpg

the other day. Really, really good - it's a play/poem about three boys going off to war in Afghanistan and the experiences they have there, how it impacts them when they got home and the problems that ensue. I was given it by a history teacher and then gave it to my partner - an English teacher - who was so impressed by it that she is going to use it as a contrast when she does WWI poetry in lessons with the brighter students in the class.

Recommended highly and it is very short - a lot of the references are UK based though!

Jeff6851

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been a while since I've read, started Annihilation back in February and was flying through it. Picked it back up again recently, hoping to finish by the end of the week.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm thinking of getting a new Kindle. Is there any good reason to get an Oasis? Seems pointless to me.
Also any idea when the paper white or voyage might be updated?

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
If my Paperwhite died today, I'd replace it with another. I see no reason to 'upgrade'. Greatest device ever?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
51q-J6jQ23L._SY346_.jpg

I got about halfway through this a couple of years ago and put it down. After watching the wonderful 2-season show, Manhattan, I decided to pick it up again. I have to say, Rhodes takes *ages* to get to Los Alamos, and there's *a lot* to wade through prior to that. I think the single most surprising thing so far was that FDR green-lighted the overall project *before* we entered the war, simply because we were scared to death that Germany would develop a bomb first.

This is an outstanding book, and you'll be glad Rhodes took his sweet time on all the marvelous science when you finally read the Hiroshima/Nagasaki sections. He goes into intense detail about all the horrible things that happen in the mere seconds and minutes following the blast.

I'm sorry I didn't post about it here, but on Sunday there was a crazy flash sale on Kindle history books, I got the following for a total of $5:

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

The Norman Conquest: The Battle of Hastings and the Fall of Anglo-Saxon England by Marc Morris

Waterloo: The Story of Four Days, Three Armies and Three Battles by Bernard Cornwell (currently reading; author of the Sharpe novels, and while he's not technically a historian he certainly knows how to structure a narrative. Good so far!)

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm listening to Only Human by Sylvian Neuvel just now. It's seriously annoying my and I can't tell if the book is just a bad end to the trilogy or if it's one of the characters new voice actor that's ruining it.

Has anyone read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.