• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Book Club - apologies for length.

General

I'm really finding the prefaces to each article more interesting than the actual articles themselves – it's fascinating to hear such an accomplished writer talk about the process and sometimes overshadows the actual article. This might be due to being a Brit, some of the articles deal with things that are not so much part of my cultural makeup – for example Malcolm X.

Fourth Year

This has one of my favourite sentences about writing – 'The sentence might be magical, but the magic should never be sentimental.' It's a great description of how writing should work, and also shows the effort that Coates puts in to his work. Some of it is clearly trying for poetry – see also 'The history told me. The streets told me. And so the music told me. I heard the tune. Soon I would hear the lyrics.' Just brilliant.

On to the more topical side – one quote that leaped out at me was 'And the next day, I saw black people smiling. And some conscious part of me died with their smiles.' The fact that it's the conscious part is telling – he knows that underneath the surface, the racism still is part of the American psyche and simply Obama being in power is not enough. The comparison between Malcolm X and Obama does seem forced but it sometimes feels as if Coates wants Obama to be more like Malcolm X – this article is that first hint towards the fact he wants more than just being in power.

Fifth Year

This seems like the turning point in the book – it's a much longer section and it deals with the first major point where Obama did nothing wrong and far less than he should have, but got pilloried for it. His comments on Trayvon Martin in the wake of such acts as Charlottesville now seem like almost nothing, but were used against him. It almost seems like Obama shrinks a little bit in this article and it shifts focus on to how people viewed – he becomes the object, rather than the subject.

'His is the perfect statement of the Obama era, a time marked by a revolution that must never announce itself, by a democracy that must never acknowledge the weight of race, even while being shaped by it. Barack Obama governs a nation enlightened enough to send an African American to the White House, but not enlightened enough to accept a black man as its president.'

I think Coates has begun to think at this point that it never will – that there is something flawed within America.

Sixth Year

The reparations issue is one that I hadn't viewed in the way Coates talks about it. I'd thought of it as simply trying to repay money for problems that had been 'solved' in the 1860s. I was wrong and this article showed me how wrong I was – that reparations was not just about slavery but also about the problems facing Black Americans since.

One section that seemed interesting in response to Brexit was 'Could it also be true that the masses of poorer whites might support lowering those same taxes for the rich in response to a different vision of the world?' Brexit sometimes seems to be a discussion between two groups talking at cross-purposes – neither seems to be able to understand that the other has a different vision of the world, which is causing our Parliament to basically stall.

Back to Coates – 'we believe white dominance to be a fact of the inert past, a delinquent debt that can be made to disappear if only we don't look'. I knew about white dominance but Coates has made me look at the world again.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when Bioware promised to patch Mass Effect: Deception?
HA! they never got around to do that? Back in the days of Mass Effect 3 I decided to buy a Kindle (wich I did) to read those books, but I didn't because Deception had that error... Now it's been 5 years since that; I have read many manyy books in my kindle and this year I bought a Kindle Paperwhite to upgrade from my Touch and I think the ship sailed in with the MA books.

Kahoona

Oct 30, 2017
32610345.jpg

Almost finished (less then 200 pages to go) but fighting the urge to call it quits. For how much I liked Pillar's of the Earth and World Without End, I really have a hard time enjoying this one. It's not only Follets writing, and especially his total lack of subtlety and subtext, that starts to annoy me (I often feel he thinks his readers are stupid and need an explanation of every single line), the story itself doesn't grab me like the previous two did. It follows more the formula of his Century Trilogy, where the characters are actors in some big historical events (here: the conflict between protestanism and catholicism, and the reign of Queen Elizabeth). This makes the story not only somewhat less believable (so many characters from that single village having a role to play in big events, and crossing roads all over Europe), it also makes it less personal. Histroy has always been a big part of the Kingsbridge novels, but it was always a background context, not the driving force of the story. This is different here. Characters seem to be drawn for a certain role/viewpoint, in stead for the drama. This leads to a way less compelling read, because I have a very hard time to actually care for these characters. I also think Follet wants to be to broad, with chapters taking place in the New World that don't seem to add anything to the narrative other then 'this is also something that happened in the 16th century')

Luckily it's not a dense read, so pages go by switfly. And I am interested in the potrayal of 16th century life and history, so I'll finish it. But after I was disapointed in Winter of the World and especially Edge of Eternity, this will probably be the last Follet I read.
Completely agree. The first two books of the series are amongst my favorite books ever. This one, however, was way too formulaic and similar to his other series.

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
I started Murder on the Orient Express yesterday; about 2/3's of the way into it right now. A really quick read with the book being 90% dialogue, so I'll probably reread it after I finish to see what clues I missed, because I'm really not sure as to who did it at this point.

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I started Murder on the Orient Express yesterday; about 2/3's of the way into it right now. A really quick read with the book being 90% dialogue, so I'll probably reread it after I finish to see what clues I missed, because I'm really not sure as to who did it at this point.
I just listened to it this week. I was in your boat too, no one seems guilty.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
I seldom read video game novels, but I may pick up the new Mass Effect one due to Valente being the writer. That woman is a true words smith.

Lafiel

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Currently reading

October: The Story of the Russian Revolution by China Mieville

In honor of the centennial of the Russian Revolution - a real page-turner and a exciting movie-like portrayal of the events leading up to the October Revolution. I'm really enjoying it so far.

OP
OP
Tragicomedy

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really finding the prefaces to each article more interesting than the actual articles themselves – it's fascinating to hear such an accomplished writer talk about the process and sometimes overshadows the actual article. This might be due to being a Brit, some of the articles deal with things that are not so much part of my cultural makeup – for example Malcolm X.

I'm wrapping up year five and won't have my thoughts posted until Wednesday or so, but I agree with this to an extent. I find the essays amazing, but they're even better with the added context of a 2017 preface.

Hindsight is important when addressing the rise of right (white?) nationalism in the form of Brexit. The essays hint at the dark days ahead and how they never truly were gone, but it's impossible to assess the epicenter of the blast until after the bomb explodes. I appreciate the newer lens and self critiques that Coates gives us today.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
9781455559824.jpg

Finished Memory Man earlier today. Nice pulpy read for the most part. The way how pretty much every chapter ends with a new development in the case (and there's ~60 chapters in this 500 page book) was kind of ridiculous though.

386374.jpg

Now unto Small Gods. Only read like 3 pages so far but I already caught myself smiling multiple times. Haven't read Pratchett in close to 10 years now and those were German translations which obviously lose a lot of his trademark humor.

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on a Brandon Sanderson novella spree to boost my reading challenge number. I may complete this year's challenge after all.
zrj7o.png

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
386374.jpg

Now unto Small Gods. Only read like 3 pages so far but I already caught myself smiling multiple times. Haven't read Pratchett in close to 10 years now and those were German translations which obviously lose a lot of his trademark humor.
Good choice.
I feel that Small Gods gets overlooked a lot when people recommend Pratchett books but it's one of the best.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
9781455559824.jpg

Finished Memory Man earlier today. Nice pulpy read for the most part. The way how pretty much every chapter ends with a new development in the case (and there's ~60 chapters in this 500 page book) was kind of ridiculous though.

Ridiculous as in ridiculous good or as in ridiculous bad?

Last edited:

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've just started The Crow Girl by Erik Zack Sund. Actually a pseudonym for two authors.

27068665._UY200_.jpg

Blurb: It starts with just one body – tortured, mummified and then discarded. Its discovery reveals a nightmare world of hidden lives. Of lost identities, secret rituals and brutal exploitation, where nobody can be trusted. This is the darkest, most complex case the police have ever seen. This is the world of the Crow Girl.

Only started it today, but it's intruiging thus far. Seen plenty of warnings that it goes some dark places, but hopefully it scratches that girl with the dragon tattoo itch.

Went to pick up Sleeping Beauties, the King family collab, but disappointed to see that the paperback isn't out yet. I just cannot jive with hardbacks at all.

30114200.jpg

Also ordered this. Premise reminds me of Dan Simmons Terror, which despite in dire need of some editing, I LOVED. Perfect read for the cold, dark nights.

Last edited:

Raytheon

Oct 25, 2017
Recently went crazy and ordered 4 books from the library even though I haven't read through a whole book in a month T.T

Figured I'd start with Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. I love her work and the recent TV show release on Netflix got me interested. The only other true crime novel I've read is In Cold Blood, so this will be a bit of a departure for me genre-wise. I'll definitely carve out some time over Thanksgiving to dig into it.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently went crazy and ordered 4 books from the library even though I haven't read through a whole book in a month T.T

Figured I'd start with Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. I love her work and the recent TV show release on Netflix got me interested. The only other true crime novel I've read is In Cold Blood, so this will be a bit of a departure for me genre-wise. I'll definitely carve out some time over Thanksgiving to dig into it.
Alias grace was great. My girlfriend is a huge Atwood fan so I've read a few. Check out Handmaid's tale if you haven't. Both the book and the series.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in a bit of a reading slump and want to read something good. So, uhh...how bad is Abaddon's Gate? I've heard as the series progressed the sequels only got worse.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Thought it was pretty good. I decided to pick up Dune since I'm in a 'reading sci-fi' kick right now, and I haven't actually read that much in the genre, so I figured I'd go with a classic. I only read through the first scene so far, but I'm finding it enjoyable.

Last edited:

somax

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago I decided to re-read The Lord of the Rings about 20 years after reading it for the first time, and this time in English and not in Italian like I did the first time.
I obviously didn't realize how carefully crafted it is, leaps and bounds better than the translated version.
I'm almost done with it, I don't know where I'll go next but it's completely unpredictable (the previous book was Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?, just because I saw Blade Runner 2049 and I wanted to fill my book gap since I never read before the novel it came from)

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Hey peeps. I need recommendations. I want to learn about the world. I want to be able to memorize every country and know something of each of them, a little history or culture.

I use Wikipedia and Sporcle to help me learn and practice. But Im wondering if there are books to help me read the history of the world? Any books like that?

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Two weeks ago I decided to re-read The Lord of the Rings about 20 years after reading it for the first time, and this time in English and not in Italian like I did the first time.
I obviously didn't realize how carefully crafted it is, leaps and bounds better than the translated version.
I'm almost done with it, I don't know where I'll go next but it's completely unpredictable (the previous book was Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?, just because I saw Blade Runner 2049 and I wanted to fill my book gap since I never read before the novel it came from)

I read TLOTR for the first time maybe 9 years ago and it blowed me away, it also made me love the movies a lot more because they did more than a good job of translating the book into that medium.

That remind me that I got the 50 years anniversary with all 3 parts into one single book but I wanted the collector's edition which was almost twice as expensive but becaue it was a gift from one of my sisters I went for the regular version.

BTW, I'm not seeing much hype for Oathbringer, i'm counting the hours until I get to download in my Kindle tomorrow. books tend to unlock at midnight?

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Finished:

Thoughts:

I really enjoyed it. I haven't read such a page-turner in quite a while. The co-main characters Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander were both interesting, as was their chemistry with each other and the side characters, and the story's twists and turns were fun to experience. There were funny moments, some very dark moments, and moments that actually gave me goosebumps. Looking forward to the next 2 books of the trilogy. Shout-out to Simon Vance for doing a superb job narrating the audiobook.

Next up:

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a little extra free time at work so thought I'd work on my book backlog. My massive book backlog. My massively massive book backlog. And decided to go with
Take Us To Your Chief by Drew Hayden Taylor.

30530475.jpg

Kobra_Zer0

Oct 27, 2017
I finished The Catcher in The Rye by JD Salinger. I enjoyed it although you could argue very little "action" happens in the book, it's a very internal kind of book. Having read it i can see why some people would have a strong attachment to that book, i empathized with holden not always but a couple of times. It was a good book. Now i think i'm gonna finish The Shrinking Man.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, I'm not seeing much hype for Oathbringer, i'm counting the hours until I get to download in my Kindle tomorrow. books tend to unlock at midnight?

It's really good.

I have a little extra free time at work so thought I'd work on my book backlog. My massive book backlog. My massively massive book backlog. And decided to go with
Take Us To Your Chief by Drew Hayden Taylor.

30530475.jpg

Cool! I read and enjoyed this earlier in the year (and reviewed it for Tor.com, too). Taylor does a good job at taking the core SF tropes and telling them through a lens that most SF readers don't often get to see through: aboriginal history. Plus the sense of humor is a welcome addition to what can often be over-serious archetypes. Glad to see it finding an audience.

Last edited:

Joellester

Oct 28, 2017
Finished both books. I didn't like the way What Alice Forgot ended. I was digging the book until
she got her memory back. Then, I didn't like the whole, turn into an asshole thing again. I really didn't like her and Nick getting back together. Maybe because I'm 32 with no kids, but I identified more with young Alice....
My sister was right about A Hologram for the King. Dave Eggers can write a meh book. It just didn't do it for me. A guy in his 50s finds himself? or loses himself? in an exotic place.. bleh...

I started reading Fate and Furies and listening to NOS4A2 today. I am loving them both. I wasn't excited for Fate and Furies after reading the jacket description, but I'm about 40 pages in and it is surprising me. Kate Mulgrew reading NOS4A2 is absolutely wonderful.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Read the first Dresden Files book. Meh. Didn't do much for me. Took me like two months to finish. I really find it hard to care about books nowadays. It's near-impossible it seems to find characters I can relate to.

Likely reading Legend of the Galactic Heroes Volume 5: Mobilization next.

51OcI367y0L._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Not a big fan of the original novels so far. They're alright, but they're just lacking. Not sure if it's the translation or just how they are.

Infamous Hawk

Oct 30, 2017
For me:

51Wm%2BvIu%2BWL.jpg

Someone recommended this to me a month or two ago at the old forum. Just started reading it so I haven't really formed an opinion yet.

For my daughter:

51rCHtKeDXL.jpg

Secretly, mostly for me. Gives me the excuse to read through the whole series. I'm actually enjoying it a lot more reading it to my daughter than I did trying to re-read it by myself a while back.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cool! I read and enjoyed this earlier in the year (and reviewed it for Tor.com, too). Taylor does a good job at taking the core SF tropes and telling them through a lens that most SF readers don't often get to see through: aboriginal history. Plus the sense of humor is a welcome addition to what can often be over-serious archetypes. Glad to see it finding an audience.

I'm half through the 3rd story and so far it's really good!

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Slowly chipping away at the Life and Times of Frederick Douglass. Fascinating figure with a wonderful (albeit a tad verbose) writing style.

Just finished A Room with A View. I enjoyed it for the most part. I also watched the Helena Bonham Carter movie and while it was fun watching Daniel Day-Lewis be a total ponce, it was definitely lesser to the book.

Bricks

Nov 6, 2017
Bernard Cornwell. Highly recommend his Saxon series
&
Con Iggulden. Start with Genghis khan series
I second the Cornwell recommendation. Check out his other stuff too in case you don't want to get buried in a long series (I think Saxon is at 9 or 10 books now).
Not Ken Follet, but the Civil War series by Jeff Shaara. First book is Killer Angels by his dad Mike Shaara. Also second Bernard Cornwell. Sharpe Series is quick, easy and entertaining.

Yeah, Cornwell was my first thought too (it's a gift for a friend), but I did not know which one of his works to choose. Thanks for all the tips.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
23498052_612997639091242_1020100637410459648_n.jpg

Finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I absolutely loved Lunar Chronicles series, but forced myself to finish this one. Not a knock on her writing either, as that was on point, but more I just don't care about Wonderland enough to bring myself to enjoy what I was reading. Now I'm set to read The Suffering by Rin Chupeco, which is a sequel to The Girl From The Well. I really enjoyed the first book, so hope this one is just as good. ^^

Fable

Oct 25, 2017
23498052_612997639091242_1020100637410459648_n.jpg

Finished Heartless by Marissa Meyer. I absolutely loved Lunar Chronicles series, but forced myself to finish this one. Not a knock on her writing either, as that was on point, but more I just don't care about Wonderland enough to bring myself to enjoy what I was reading. Now I'm set to read The Suffering by Rin Chupeco, which is a sequel to The Girl From The Well. I really enjoyed the first book, so hope this one is just as good. ^^

I loved the Lunar Chronicles too but have no interest in Wonderland so I've skipped Heartless, sounds like I made the right choice. Her newest book sounds interesting, though. Renegades, I think, it's about superheros I believe.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
I loved the Lunar Chronicles too but have no interest in Wonderland so I've skipped Heartless, sounds like I made the right choice. Her newest book sounds interesting, though. Renegades, I think, it's about superheros I believe.

You made the right choice then. I wish I had, but gave it a shot. It was a 3 out of 5 overall, but not recommended if you don't like Wonderland lol. I have Renegades on my shelf and should be reading that by next month or hopefully this weekend. I really look forward to it based on its premise.

fakefaker

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wrapped up The Power by Naomi Alderman and even though I loved the first 2/3 of the book, the rest felt like a speeding car hitting a speed bump and the wheels and axles going all wonky sending the car crashing into some shrubbery. Ok, ok, it wasn't that bad, but it sure as hell wasn't as consistent with the first 2/3 of the book. And that's really too bad.

Next up, Last Winter We Parted by Fuminori Nakamura.

20697571.jpg

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
I refuse. After the death of Robert Jordan I just can't commit to any new long series until they are finished. I'll wait until 2030 I guess to binge read the series when it's over. Hope it's good.
IIRC Stormlight Archive was suppose to be some 10-book-epic-series, that would be heck of wait!

Yeah it has been a while, I had to read story synopsis of the last book to juggle my memory.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Lunch read in the London Review of Books:

Brilliant, comprehensive article with something of an outsider perspective on the Brontës and Charlotte, their biographies, and about biographies in general, the assumptions made, the many ways we accuse and defend and claim and protest claims about dead artists through biographies, through our reading of them, back and forths which may forget to ask the important questions. It's a bite-sized Brontë bio that's also meta in many ways.

Read here: https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n22/alice-spawls/if-it-werent-for-charlotte

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I refuse. After the death of Robert Jordan I just can't commit to any new long series until they are finished. I'll wait until 2030 I guess to binge read the series when it's over. Hope it's good.

I started Game of Thrones in 1996 only to see the show eclipse the books. After that, any wait is child's play.