• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Figured I would post instead of just lurking like ive done for ages and ages..

Reading this atm, found it while looking for Never let me go which is buried in our books somewhere...

The-Road-Cormac-McCarthy.jpg

Im only about 80 pages in, but its decent, pretty sure ive reached the point where its about to go a lot more bleak.
I kinda like how its broken up rather than chapters.

Think im going to read Anhilation by Jeff VanderMeer next, seems interesting.

Hey !

Did you see the film and if so how does it compare to it ?

I might check the book out some day

Nov 2, 2017
Looking for book:

It's about a woman or the last woman or person on earth. Told in first person and in a kinda quirky way. The title I think starts with "F" but I could be wrong. and the first word is like German or looks like a German word.
This will be an odd description if the title is not how I describe it.
The book is old and somewhat well known though so I hope someone here can identify it.
Pretty sure the title starts with W and ends in stein or close to that. Wiggenstein or something like that.

insight

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Just finished "Last Evenings on Earth" by Bolaño. It's the first book I ever read by him but it surely won't be the last one, since I really, really loved it.

Next book I'm going to read is "Let them eat chaos" by Kate Tempest. I already read "Hold your Own" by her so I know what to expect. She's a writer and musician, I first learned about her when I listened her song "Europe is Lost" on the radio. I find her songs and poems really inspiring, when I listen to her concerts I always end up feeling that we're all part of something bigger than us, humanity, and we should empathize with others as much as possibile, because in the end we're all on the same boat. It may seem like a commonplace but she is really capable to convey this message without being a cliché.

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Finished Marissa Meyer's Renegades, and it is a really entertaining read. I love the super heroes angle she went with in this book. Some of the super powers are expected, but some really interesting unique ones. Kind of reminded me of Marvel style powers over DC, which I prefer. Now reading, and almost finished, Maurene Goo's Since You Asked. It's about a Korean American who gets a sarcastic column in her High school paper. It's a short cute, fun read. Better than I expected it to be.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want The Nix to end.

Everything about it is amazing. Nathan Hill really has fun with the chapter structures too.

If this is his debut then I can't imagine what future novels will be like.

Ratrat

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the new Blade Runner and would like to read a good cyberpunk novel. Any recommendations?

I've read Neuromancer and Altered Carbon.
Snow Crash and Quantum Thief as well if those count. But really something with a Blade Runner vibe would be great.

Edit: I was looking forward to the Andy Weir book.... :(

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished reading American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett and I absolutely loved it. I know a few of his other books were quite popular in the other reading threads - he also wrote the Divine Cities books, which I plan on picking up soon given how much I loved American Elsewhere.

Prior to that, I read I'm Thinking About Ending Things, which was like a slightly less crazy version of Mulholland Drive in novel form.

Right now, I'm reading Jeff VanderMeer's Borne. The Area X trilogy is one of my favorite series of the last ten years, and I'm enjoying Borne so far. I still need to pick up the book club book, though. :(

Reading thread! Whoo! Hi everyone.

Yay, glad to see you've made it!

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So how bad is this, really? I got it the same day as Oathbringer, which has totally consumed me. Just heard murmurings as to the quality of it, and don't really plan on getting to it until I finish other stuff.
It's average. The main character has the same voice as Mark Watney from The Martian, so be prepared for more of that. The supporting character and dialogue left a lot to be desired personally. The actual story isn't so bad, though a bit unbelievable at times.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Book Club Thoughts

This was the article that I was probably most aware the subject prior to reading; this made it one that perhaps moved me least out of them all so far but was still interesting. Also, due to the nature of the topic, a lot of it seemed to be facts that albeit shocking and telling in myriad ways about the nature of racism in the US, didn't really make for an article that reached the heights of some of the others. One part that really stuck out for me was the following though 'Rather it [prison] has now become a normal and anticipated marker in the transition to adulthood'. In my day to day life as a teacher, we do a unit about rites of passage. Not once has a student said going to jail, police questioning them or anything similar. I've only ever needed to be involved with the justice system in the UK once and that was on jury service. This normalisation of what has the potential to be a very traumatic event was shocking.

I also found, as with other articles that the rise of Trump layers new meanings on the text; 'That subliminal appeal to the antiblack voter was always in Nixon's statements and speeches' - it seems apparent that all Trump did was bring that out in to the open and lay it bare - there was nothing new in what he was doing it was just making it conscious. This led me to think about an apparent difference that has been noted by others - in the US racism seems more open whereas in the UK it is more subliminal and unspoken. Which is worse?

Johnlenham

Oct 29, 2017
Hey !

Did you see the film and if so how does it compare to it ?

I might check the book out some day
Ah no I havent, I was given the book year and years ago at Xmas but didnt get into it and its languished on my shelf since. I then also didnt watch the film because I "should read it first" otherwise I never would read it.

Its also why I havent managed to watch Never let me go either lol

Um6VeyG.png

After The Grand Budapest Hotel came out a few years ago and was identified as having been inspired by the writings of Stefan Zweig, I eagerly read the Pushkin Press collection of Zweig's short stories. This companion collection of his novellas is of a similar overall quality level. Some of the content here is atypically edgy for the time in which it was published, such as the handling of homosexuality in "Confusion". "A Chess Story" is probably my favourite of the bunch, followed by "A Burning Secret".

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
About 60% done with We Were Eight Years in Power. I've been enjoying (if that's the right word) the introductions to the essays more than the actual essays. But that's largely because the latter cover history and material I've already read about elsewhere. Still, never hurts to go back and reinforce these connections!

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
So I finished The Nix and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you haven't read it yet - then read it.

Unfortunately I'm now in a bit of a bind towards choosing my next fiction book. Part of me wants a nice easy read, but part of me wants another long read in the historical fiction realm.

Another part of me wants ridiculous sci fi.

Being between books is both an absolute blessing and an annoyance.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Currently reading the Cat Who Walked Through Walls by Robert Heinlein.

I'm a big Heinlein fan bit there's still quite a few books I need to read and I hadn't read a new one in years. Picked this up without realizing it was a sequel to The Rolling Stones (which i haven't read) and The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress (which I love) until I was decently into it.

It has all the Heinlein hallmarks, including blatant author self-insert, liberal conservatism, promiscuous sex and free love, the main character being an irresistable sex magnet, etc. It's a fun romp.

Two sticking points:

1) the whole thing with the main character lusting after the 12 year old Gretchen and her being into it is groooooosss

2) in the last third of the book it seems to have fully transformed into a Harem Anime.

I heard it has a cliffhanger ending. Currently debating reading The Number of the Beast after to see how this whole literary universe starts, reading The Rolling Stones to get filled in on the events between Cat and Moon or going straight ahead to the next book, which apparently is the last one Heinlein wrote before he died.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I finished The Nix and thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you haven't read it yet - then read it.

Unfortunately I'm now in a bit of a bind towards choosing my next fiction book. Part of me wants a nice easy read, but part of me wants another long read in the historical fiction realm.

Another part of me wants ridiculous sci fi.

Being between books is both an absolute blessing and an annoyance.

Read The Vorrh. Historical fiction/fantasy and one of the most exquisite modern volumes of prose I've ever read.

vorrh-cover-web.jpg

The direct sequel The Erstwhile is also wonderful.

If keen on Sci Fi everyone should read A Fire Upon the Deep. One of the best epic adventures ever and very fun.

Last edited:

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Can we still use imgr to upload pictures on here? I haven't uploaded any yet since moving over to Era.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Well I've finally finished this,

P6q73tS.jpg

I enjoyed it very much overall, it's quite late here as I'm typing this and I feel very tired so I can't really get my thoughts together, but it's something I'd quite happily recommend to others.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
I am about halfway through We Were Eight Years in Power. Really great read. Should have it done by the end of the month and will post my thoughts then. Definitely one of those books where I read one section at a time and think about it for a bit before coming back.

insight

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Just started "Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion" by Cialdini, which was recommended by a professor of mine.

Necrovex

Oct 25, 2017
Completed Eight Years In Power, and as expected, it was another brilliantly written work of nonfiction by Coates. Favorite piece was the reparation article. I love his criminal justice one too, however I read a lot in that field prior to coming this, so I saw his argument in one form or another in other works.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Thoughts on Homegoing?

I've read through almost the first two chapters and I'm yet to really be gripped by it.

The writing is very good and the subject matter is striking but its really more of a collection of short stories in a chronological theme, right?

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Kings of the Wyld. What a book. Crazy to think that this is not only the first installment, but also the author's first book. Homerun.

Now what to read next. Got a whole bunch of 0.99€ ebooks that I can choose from. Blood Meridian, The Iron King, The Forever War, The Blade Itself: First War, I Am Legend and more.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Read The Vorrh. Historical fiction/fantasy and one of the most exsquite modern volumes of prose I've ever read.

vorrh-cover-web.jpg

The direct sequel The Erstwhile is also wonderful.

If keen on Sci Fi everyone should read A Fire Upon the Deep. One of the best epic adventures ever and very fun.

Thanks for the recommendation! I've heard of it so will try to check it out soon.

I decided not to proceed with Homegoing - just not something I could get into but I may give it another go in future.

I've settled on Kingkiller Chronicles now and I'm enjoying it so far. Probably a stupid idea because it seems like the third book is never coming, but I have that feeling with the next Gentleman Bastards book too!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Finished a nostalgia fueled re-read of The Belgariad a week ago and am already on the third book of Malloreon. The humor usually falls flat, especially in the long run because it's so repetitive, and there's definitely some sexist "women do this and men do this" stereotyping and kind of in-universe racist classification going around (this race is extremely dumb & lazy, these are rowdy drunkards rtc.) that isn't in any way thought to be a bad thing. Still, I find myself enjoying the read more or less. While it does portray those sexist & racist elements,there is some level of attempt to try to be at least somewhat proggressive about some of the stuff. Though even amidst those progressive ideas it often makes some sexist remark that can sometimes undermine the progressive stuff in the strory is trying to convey.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Started up the first book in The Last Policeman trilogy, enjoying it quite a lot so far. Really interesting idea about a policeman who is investigating a murder in a world that has given up due to an impending disaster.

Schiaffino

Oct 27, 2017
Just started to re-read the harry potter books. I forgot how enjoyable these books are.
Have you read any HP fanfic? I tried 'HP And The Methods Of Rationality' and was very impressed, it was great. Basically what could've been if HP had grown up in a scientific environment where he's a prodigy. Not recommended if you like HP for the characters, as they are not the same as in Rowling's books. But the universe is the same, and it the story is done in one, albeit long, book.

I'm re-reading Brandon Sandersons Way of Kings and Words of Radiance in preparation for Oathbringer. Done with WoK now, there are a lot of stuff I'd forgotten. Glad I didn't opt for just readings Tors refresher.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
220px-2666Novel.jpg

I'm trying to read 2666, but this book is a fucking slog (+1000 pages). Everyone says it's great and it really comes together at the end. I think I'm nearing the end of the Critics section, but I'm taking a break from it and I started reading:

41rtmb0ZIEL.jpg

I'm loving it so far, I recently finished Slaughter House Five and Sirens of Titan. Vonnegut has become one of my favorite writers.

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
This just arrived this morning, and then I read the AV Club review, groan...
5rmbaLd.jpg
I was sent this to review it for a newspaper, and I decided to turn down the money as I didn't want to be that nasty about it. It's fucking terrible. Just awful. It's from Amazon - they'll give you. refund. Do it. Trust me. It's a great example of a writer who wrote one thing in his voice and people liked it, but he can't do any other narrative voices, and he has absolutely zero concept of how to plot a novel. So, he writes this, and it's a total shambles.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
tinder-press-bright-edge-cover-large.jpg

A little over halfway through this book. I started it because I loved The Snow Child, but this book is very different. Thankfully, one thing that they have in common is that they're great books! I don't normally like the Diary/Log style in fiction, but it's pulled off really well here with the prose, the style of writing, the switches between the two main characters, and the intermissions of other documents. It's a really captivating book and I'm interested to if it can end with the same quality.

dummmyy

Oct 27, 2017
ASoS_US_Current.jpg

Been reading this for the past two weeks, about half way through. I've been very slowly reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series for 8 years or so. GRRM is a wonderful writer, love how immersive these novels are! Hope to get Based on a True story by Norm Macdonald and read that next.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
220px-2666Novel.jpg

I'm trying to read 2666, but this book is a fucking slog (+1000 pages). Everyone says it's great and it really comes together at the end

One of my favourite books - love what it does with the whole concept of a novel - the part about the crimes is a tour de force of writing in my opinion. Agree that it can be heavy going but it is so worth it. I'm a teacher so I usually have a book like this for my Summer Holiday read - others have included Alan Moore's Jerusalem, Gravity's Rainbow and A Suitable Boy. I find with tomes like these you have to be willing to put aside a big chunk of time where you will just read it to be able to get through them, but all have been worth it.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've never read any Vonnegut books which is quite shameful.

Is there a good place to start or shall I just dive in on any?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for your suggestions :) at the moment I have a book backlog of around 6 books, but once I'm done with those I'll give Kurt a try!

Kater

Oct 25, 2017
Read both Autumn by Ali Smith

9780241207017.jpg

and then Sostiene Peirera (Erklärt Peirera in German and Pereira Maintains in English) by Antonio Tabucchi (of which I read the German version).

md17896074138.jpg

They share some themes but are written more than 20 years apart from one another. Pereira Maintains has a 50-year old, fat man starting to wake up in the midst of the rise of Salazar and Franco. Autumn has a young art teacher and her special relationship with a very old man set in the middle of the chaos following the Brexit vote, but also connects to a time long ago, very experimental sort of experience, that book.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished reading Tokyo Blues from Murakami. I have mixed thoughts. The first 300 pages are awesome, the last 80 pages are quite rushed and the ending is quite unnatural. I'm all in for open endings but I still felt it was unnatural.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Midori and Reiko are the only sane people out there. Midori is awesome. She is eccentric as a person can be, but she is a honest person that knows and stays true to herself.

Watanabe was... strange. He's the main character but it feels like he's in a boat during the whole book moving with the tides. Nagasawa, as bad as he is, is like a force of nature: he does what he wants to and doesn't care if he hatches and egg, a building, or drives other people to insanity. Watanabe is a passive, depressed person that never wakes up after seeing his best friend die. He belongs to the same mental hospital where Naoko lived. He is a person that spends half of the book running away from everything and, even when he decides to choose Midori the story conveniently kills of Naoko so he doesn't have to face the consequences from this decision.

He seems to have some sort of evolution by the end of the book, maybe.

Reiko is the other character from the book that I feel is a sane person. Midori has the overflowing energy of youth, Reiko had the serenity that experience brings. I was really happy when she left the institution.

As a person that faced depression, I think this books in a sense tells me what could have happened if I hadn't tried my best to get out of that hole. I wanted to recommend it to a friend who went trough a similar experience, but I'm honestly not sure if I should considering how many people commit suicide and how little Murakami seems to worry about it being tasteful or not.

I could have done with a little bit less of sex. Some made little sense to me.

Oct 26, 2017
Just a short promo for Reading-Era.

As many of you know, I got into a writing challenge on GAF as part of a New Year's resolution. Essentially, it was "write a novella per month" for the first three months of the year. But nooooooo. I decided to write a 30k word novella EVERY month for the full year. I am currently writing #11.

However, for Black Friday, I've put the collection of the first three novellas out there for free: The Knight's Journal I. The freebie is only good today and tomorrow.

Collections II and III, which get you the next six novellas, will be $1.99 for the next week as well. Looks like that sale might not go live until noonish or so.

Bottom line, you can grab 3/4 of this series, which is a "King Arthur origins story written with a bit of Princess Bride humor" for $4.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
220px-2666Novel.jpg

I'm trying to read 2666, but this book is a fucking slog (+1000 pages). Everyone says it's great and it really comes together at the end. I think I'm nearing the end of the Critics section, but I'm taking a break from it and I started reading:

41rtmb0ZIEL.jpg

I'm loving it so far, I recently finished Slaughter House Five and Sirens of Titan. Vonnegut has become one of my favorite writers.
Wouldn't advise you start Bolano with 2666. Try his short story collection Last Evenings on Earth or Nazi Literature in the Americas

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
One of my favourite books - love what it does with the whole concept of a novel - the part about the crimes is a tour de force of writing in my opinion. Agree that it can be heavy going but it is so worth it. I'm a teacher so I usually have a book like this for my Summer Holiday read - others have included Alan Moore's Jerusalem, Gravity's Rainbow and A Suitable Boy. I find with tomes like these you have to be willing to put aside a big chunk of time where you will just read it to be able to get through them, but all have been worth it.

Wouldn't advise you start Bolano with 2666. Try his short story collection Last Evenings on Earth or Nazi Literature in the Americas

I'm definitely going to finish it. I hate not finishing books. Last Evenings on Earth looks interesting though, so I'll add that on to my list.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
url

I got this for a buck at the hospital today. Didn't even know it existed.

Looking forward to reading it as I love Stephen King's stuff, but I'm not that big on fantasy. Game of Thrones' second book was far too slow and there were far too many people to remember so I stopped reading.