• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you sub to a MMORPG?

• Yes (6+ months- years)

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Every now and then

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 52 44.4%
  • I have never played a MMORPG

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I have too many subscriptions already.

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Something I will always be fond of is the MMORPG genre. I love the vast living world's, the busy cities filled with other players and the co-operation of different classes and skill sets to take down endgame bosses and raids.

But I can't really bring myself to pay a monthly subscription anymore. Elder Scrolls Online does it right, making it optional but games like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14 do not. I miss those games, FF14 got me through the PS4's barren launch year and WoW is well...WoW. Wrath of the Lich King era is in my top 5gaming moments in my life.

Now adays I play the MMOlite games like Destiny and the Division (though division is pretty barren unless you're constantly playing with others, otherwise you never see any fellow agents)

TLDR So in 2019, how many are still paying a subscription for a MMO? How long have you had it? What's its place in 2019? Should they go away or a necessary evil to keep the content coming?

In the age of Netflix/Gamepass/Hulu/Patreon/Disney+
Is there room for monthly subscription to games?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I used to pay for Aion, but never got into anything else. I think WoW's model of having to pay for both a subscription and expansions is way too much and now they even have microtransactions. Make it a subscription ONLY, or paid expansions ONLY and then it's OK.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont subscribe to single games like MMOs or Netflix style games services. I buy about 1 new game a month and by the time i finish it theres a new game to buy, I simply dont have the time to sink either hundreds of hours into one or add 100 new games to my list.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I still sub to FFXIV. I've been subbed since the game launched no PS4.
It is my first MMO and an amazing experience overall.
I don't regret a single dollar spent on it.

I think that as long as the game is good enough for me, I'm ok with paying a small sub price.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Just Xbox Game Pass, which is paid through Microsoft Rewards atm. I am willing to renew if I have to. The only other sub I would consider is Origin Access Premier.

And of course I paid for MMOs like WoW, SWG etc...

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I played WoW for many years and I tried FFIV for a few months. Now I couldn't imagine paying a sub for just one game. Like the poster above said, maybe I would sub to Gamepass, but it sucks on PC and I don't have an Xbox.

Edit: forgot Humble monthly, which I do every so often. It depends on the early unlocks.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I play Guild Wars 2 mainly, so no fees

I've been thinking of subbing to Humble Monthly though

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
I sub to ffxiv, I do it because it pretty much means i will always have content to look forward to every few months

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Since I hardly have time to play these games, my only sub is Humble Monthly, and that's because they usually give good games. Technically, Twitch Prime too, but that's a perk thanks to Amazon Prime.

As for MMORPGs, doubt I will sub to any of those games again. Their magic has finally disappeared for me.

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
It makes no sense,if at the end, you would not be able to access your games once the subscription expires.
I only know of Humble Bundle, that has an option for a subcription in which you are able to own your games once it runs out.

Oct 25, 2017
I pay PS+ for the "free games and, Nintendo Switch Online because I want to play Dragon Marked for Death with someone, and that's it.

I might retire my PS4 so maybe I'll just stay with Nintendo's service which I hope they improve drastically in the future.

I want to play FFXIV as well when the expansion comes out so I'll also be paying for that.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for mmos its kinda an on and off thing whenever i have an itch i pay for a month then bounce.
for xbox live i usually buy 3 month cards at a discount here and there but maybe twice a year. mainly for the xbox live games that popup every month and occasional online.
everything else is on pc and doesnt have a sub.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Been subbed to FFXIV for the most part of 4 and a half years. I've taken a month break here and there, but as of now, I've subbed for 1290 days on my account, and my actual playtime has reached 5200 hours. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth and the 3-month patch cycle makes me feel like my sub money actually gets returned to the game through the quality of content I constantly get.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Right now I pay for 2 WoW subs, a FF14 sub and then yearly PS+, Nintendo Online and Xbox Live.

Will probably cancel my Xbox live though, I don't really play my X1X at all and Nintendo online so far has not really been worth it but it's cheap.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I play WoW off and on. It helps that I often get gifted some game time from my family.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I sub to ESO off and on when I'm playing it, but otherwise my last long term sub was WoW. I went about 15 years or so where I was subbed to at least one MMO, though. As far as weather subs should go away or not, I vastly prefer the sub model to the F2P or nickle and dime model.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Not for single games outside of the one month for FF11 back at launch. I do have Game Pass and PS Now.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Never played an mmo past a free trial, could never justify myself paying for a game continually.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
There's no room for MMO subscriptions in my life, but to be fair I hate the genre. Even so, something like Game Pass just seems like much better value to me.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I love MMOs and sub fee is totally fair (for a good game)

So on some occasions I still play WoW, SWTOR, or ESO. I don't continuously sub nonstop though, I usually play for a few months and take a break depending how I feel

Willy

Oct 27, 2017
WoW was the last one for me and I stopped playing that during Cataclysm. The feeling of being obligated to play because of the monthly sub was absolutely one of the factors that made me quit.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
If I decide to jump back in to WOW or FF 14 I buy the 60 day cards so I don't have to use my credit card.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The last time I subbed to an MMO was with Dark Age of Camelot.

The reason I no longer do is more of a time commitment constraint than anything else.
I don't really have an issue with the sub model for MMOs, as long as it is accompanied by frequent updates and a total lack of modern F2P trappings.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I think as far as WoW goes I always find a way to sub for that first month or two before a new expansion releases.

There is still that excitement when the servers go live for me.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I only pay on pc humblebundle monthly, and not even most of the months.
Same with ps+, been without it since november and no reason to pay it.

In the past I payed for tibia and then wow till Wotlk, but thats it, never gonna buy monthly subs for playing a game.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The title doesn't really represent the content, so it's expected if people replied with unrelated topic.

Anyway, my last MMO sub was FFXIV a couple of years ago. Never played a sub MMO since then.