• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
www.usgamer.net

Ori and the Will of the Wisps is "Three Times the Scope and Scale" of Blind Forest

Back when Ori and the Will of the Wisps first started development in 2017, director Thomas Mahler made a bold promise. "Trust us a little," Mahler wrote on N...
A natural question for Switch fans is whether Ori and the Will of the Wisps will follow its predecessor to Nintendo's platform. Smith says that Ori and the Blind Forest ultimately "did well" on Switch. "I think one of the big things for us is that everybody worked so hard on Blind Forest that we wanted as many people as possible to experience what we created. I think it's exciting to just grow the family. Diehard gamers might have every console, and some gamers might only have one, so I thought it was a nice addition to add to a different pool of gamers who could enjoy the content we created."
Nice to finally hear how the game did on Switch. It's an utter shame it wasn't the big hit that Cuphead was on Switch, but still, I'm happy it at least "did well", but it deserves SO much more!

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did it do well on GOG? I'd love for the new game to be released on there.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Don't think anyone should be surprised. It really is "perfect for Switch". Haven't started it yet, but I bought it immediately during the last sale. Hopefully the sequel will come as well after a little while.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Still waiting for a physical version.
I'd really prefer to not get it digitally.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Downloaded the demo on switch and I honestly got bored by the long monologues so didn't really bother to finish the level.

Yay demos.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting for a physical version.
I'd really prefer to not get it digitally.
I wonder what the hold up is. It doesn't have any additional content coming, and it seems to be as polished as needed. Only oddity I found was that some of the breakable lamps don't respawn when moving away and back to them consistently, but that might be a thing ion the other versions already if I had to guess.

They might be making some sort of physical goodies to pack in like a soundtrack? Or maybe they're just waiting for cart costs to go down more as it's only $20 USD/$25 CDN.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the demo on switch and I honestly got bored by the long monologues so didn't really bother to finish the level.

Yay demos.

That demo does a terrible job at showing what the game is really all about. I hated Ori at first, but the game only gets better once you realize that it's a platformer and that the enemies are also "platforms".

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Being bored by the demo is being heartless.
No wonder real stories fade in for action.

I miss my stories.

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought it on Switch, it's an excellent port and I'll hold off on buying Ori 2 until it's on Switch as well.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite Switch games, and I think I liked it more than Cuphead. That music soundtrack is simply divine

-Stranger-

Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Maybe the sequel will come to Switch as well.

Personally i'll be playing it on Xbox One X in 4k and HDR.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It really was an awesome port. Was there even any downgrades from the Xbox version? Ran and looked flawless.

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
One of my favourite Switch games, and I think I liked it more than Cuphead. That music soundtrack is simply divine
I'm with you there. I was never that interested in the game, because, simply put, I feel like I'm done with the Metroidvania style of game. Even though I'm a Game Pass subscriber, I never even bothered to download and play the game. New year came around and I was done with Luigi's Mansion and fed up with Three Houses (I'm like the only one who thinks this game is way worse than its predecessors apparently) and I wanted something to compliment the Pokémon Shield grind.

I downloaded Ori and it's really caught me by surprise. Everything about this game feels just right. The controls are lovely and responsive, the difficulty is just right, progression is smooth and it looks and sounds absolutely magnificent. There's a certain flow to the game that just clicks with me.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I feel like there wasn't nearly as much buzz around this as with Cuphead for some reason. The latter certainly made a much bigger impact than Ori, while both are absolute quality games. OTBF definitely deserved to do well at least, so I'm glad it seemingly did.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
You know how it would have did even better? If there would've been a physical version.

My partner is a die hard Ori fan, we own it on Steam, we bought the PC physical steelbook afterwards, we own several merchandise things including gigantic plushies, we bought the Xbox One physical version but we still haven't bought it on Switch because she wants to wait for a physical version after buying it so many times already, even after the discounts it had do far.

A shame, I have no idea what the problem is here.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Bought in on the switch (haven't finished it yet though)
I'm half expecting wotw to be ported but not anytime soon.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Got it on switch and the port is incredibly well done! Looking forward to the sequel even if it isnt on switch

Apr 19, 2018
Blind Forest ran beautifully on the Switch, but I get the sense that Wisp is a far more technically demanding game. If it gets ported, would it be able to run as well as its predecessor did?

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'll buy them both on Switch, once they're both on it.

Hope Thomas Mahler is reading this!

Edit: Already own them both on Xbox.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Instantly became one of my favorite Metroid-like games <3

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It really was an awesome port. Was there even any downgrades from the Xbox version? Ran and looked flawless.
It was the exact same image in docked, and the same image but at 720p in in docked mode. I remember them being very proud of that achievement, and they had every right to be: it looked incredible.

Hugely impressive game as well, closest a game has come to choking me up since, well, TLOU I think (which was the only game to ever have done so).

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
It's a port with no compromises, it has been in the top 20 best sellers for Switch pretty much all the time since its release

antonio

Jan 12, 2018
I enjoyed it so much on Switch, it was definitely my favorite game of the year. I wish Switch port of Will of the Wisps would come out as soon as possible. Everyone will profit from it: gamers, Moon studios, Microsoft and Nintendo, so it makes sense to release the port as soon as possible.

NintenDOOM

Jan 8, 2020
France
I played it on my Switch. It was an amazing experience and I hope the second one will release on Switch later. The console is perfect for this type of game.