• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Really curious about this. Ori is amazing so expectations are high.

I mean maybe to you personally, but hollow knight is more praised than all of those games in general
They're not most praised than Hollow Knight and aren't better than it.
I dare you make a poll on era and asking people what they think.
Spoiler: hollow knight will win.

All of those games are highly praised on Steam (>95% reviews) and HK has more reviews (55k) compared to Ori/Dead Cells (Axiom Verge is only 3k). I've no idea what that dude is talking about.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
80 people now, all working together from literally all across the globe :)

The post says 'redefined' the Metroidvania genre and I don't think that's too far-fetched. We innovated in quite a few areas and the platforming in Ori is definitely on a whole different level than what you see in most other Metroidvanias. And regarding Will of the Wisps, you ain't seen nothing yet :D
Are Switch/PC Xbox the porting plans you guys have for most of your games or can we expect things to come to PS as well?

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
They're not most praised than Hollow Knight and aren't better than it.
I dare you make a poll on era and asking people what they think.
Spoiler: hollow knight will win.

Why are you even arguing this? What's the point? It's a thread about Moon asking for a designer. Bringing up hollow knight was just a purposeful derail. What are you hoping to accomplish even bring this up?

Ffs

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Based on what? Ori? Microsoft doesn't own Moon Studios. What's with your weird wishful thinking?
Phil has stated how he liked it when Xbox had many first-party RPGs like Mass Effect, Kotor, Jade Empire etc. And that the RPG will be a great focus on XGS.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Why are you even arguing this? What's the point? It's a thread about Moon asking for a designer. Bringing up hollow knight was just a purposeful derail. What are you hoping to accomplish even bring this up?

Ffs
They asked if ori revolutionized metroidvanias and I said no, and then said HK did. The other guy was the one that replied to me. You should ask him why he did it in the first place. I just pointed that HK revolutionized the genre while Ori didn't.

Last edited:

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Really curious about this. Ori is amazing so expectations are high.

All of those games are highly praised on Steam (>95% reviews) and HK has more reviews (55k) compared to Ori/Dead Cells (Axiom Verge is only 3k). I've no idea what that dude is talking about.
Some people can't stand HK greatness. It's simply among the best this generation. There's no 2D game better than it this decade. The only one that comes close is monster boy.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Some people can't stand HK greatness. It's simply among the best this generation. There's no 2D game better than it this decade. The only one that comes close is monster boy.

His "lol ok" take was weird for sure, what you said wasn't exactly controversial. I do prefer HK too but I feel like my favorite metroidvanias (Ori, SteamWorld Dig 2, Salt and Sanctuary and Monster Boy) all excel at something. In Ori case is definitely platforming and visuals.

Hey, I like Hollow Knight. I like competition. I hope you'll play Will of the Wisps and return with some feedback :)

Here's hoping Will and the Wisps and Silksong raise the bar next year.

I'm curious about your opinion regarding optional/hidden content as a dev. I feel like they add a lot to the game regarding exploration (and can also be used to raise the difficulty considerably compared to the main path), but I also understand if devs are "afraid" that players might not see some of the content they took a lot of time to create. Ori was mostly linear but my favorite parts regarding exploration was when I went out of my way to check the "DLC" areas (which I didn't knew at the time they were additional content for the Definitive Edition), so that's why I'm asking.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
They hired Alexander O. Smith a while ago (legendary localiser (lots of Matsuno and classic SE stuff plus Phoenix Wright, etc)), presumably to help write, so that's sick (though he might just be on Will of the Wisps, iunno).

EDIT: Saw it was already addressed. Awesome!

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
MS doesnt own them. Ori is a deal between them and working together. MS owns the Ori IP also.
Next game can be anything. But i am pretty sure MS will try or has tried everything to secure their next game also.

Do we have any evidence for this or just a hunch?

As an Xbox player, I know Phil Spencer is super keen on Moon studios and are desperate for exclusive RPG's on their platform. Gotta say that this looks like it would be big for Xbox, great to see confidence from Thomas, very excited for this.

Last edited:

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
...It's a prototype done by one person over 3 years ago. It's in no way indicative of they're working on/planning on working on, even if it ends up being superficially similar.

Yes, I know, I was just saying I hope it doesn't look like that.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Excited to see what they can do in a new genre. Hopefully they also keep making Ori games too.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'll play their next game where ever it ends up. I just want it on the most powerful console, if that means Playstation exclusive then so be it. I want nothing holding them back.

Unfortunately I love Ori too much that I would probably go cranky if they strayed away and did something completely different with no strings attached to the Ori universe for 5 years or whatever. And even though MS owns the Ori IP I don't think they can hire someone else to keep the universe alive, no other dev could match Moon in this genre, so the result would be an Ori hiatus likely for the whole next generation. :(

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I still need to play Ori on Switch. I absolutely love the art direction of those games! Interested in this, and hope it is on Switch or PS4/5

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
So, that's the game they hinted to be multiplat, right?

Color me interested if it really launches on PS5.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
They asked if ori revolutionized metroidvanias and I said no, and then said HK did.

Just out of curiosity. How did HK revolutionise metroidvanias?

I've played both and they're both truly great games. But they excel at different things and in my opinion are not really that comparable. Hollow Knights strength is the focus on exploration and a great sense of discovery. Ori on the other hand excels on really great platforming.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
It will look nothing like that, no worries :) Wouldn't Jump to any conclusion based on old prototypes!

Regardless, it was still pretty awesome that you shared that prototype. Hopefully we'll get a bunch more behind the scenes look at whenever this current game is down the road.

Really enjoyed the concepts for Ori that were shown post-release, those death animations were...surprising to see.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The first Ori was really good. Not my favourite in the genre but easily among the best. Ori 2 looks like they refined it even further. If Moon Studios releases an Action RPG, we're in for a fucking treat, they're one of the most talented and promising teams out there right now.

Completely Anonymous

alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Sounds swell, hope they make something great!

Would you guys Ori revolutionise the Metroidvania genre, though? Instead of "merely" being a fucking good game in the genre? It's on my list of games I want to play this holiday, so I haven't experienced it myself yet (only the demo) and can't make a judgment myself. It's just I've never heard anything say anything like that about the game.

Ori is the best Metroidvania game I've played. Still have an XBox One strictly for Forza, Gears, and Ori. Double dipped on Switch as well

Iso

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for your support! :)
Not sure if you're able to answer these questions yet, but on the XboxEra podcast you had mentioned that Moon turned down opportunities to work with Disney as you wanted to work with IP you could own. Now obviously this isn't the case with Ori (MS owned), but can we infer this to mean that whatever IP this new ARPG is, is something that Moon will own? Also, I know you wouldn't be able to answer the question of who the publisher might be yet, but have you guys signed anything with a publisher regarding this new project or are you still looking?

Anyways, super excited for the new Ori, I only just played the first this year and was blown away (as someone who had never played a Metroidvania before). Went in figuring I'd just play the game till I beat the story, but ended up 100%ing the map 👍

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Still have that Zelda-like prototype on my PC, was a lot of fun. If it's that I'm stoked as long as the themes/environments are varied.

I brought it up in another thread like two weeks ago and posted screenshots of it dreaming a dream haha.