• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lets rewind time and have teaser go like this

*team of armed men enters the scene*

Guy with Gun: Yo Dracula, don't even think about moving. We also stopped by the Olive Garden and ordered extra garlic bread so you are done. We don't gotta break anything.

Transformed Morbius: Clearly.... you have never.... MADE AN OMELET!!!!

*ends scene with sounds of men being slaughtered*

MORBIUS

Reactions would be astoundingly positive, children would be dancing with excitement, and the MCU fans would be blown out of their sites by the legendary Tony Stark and formidable Ultron being referenced. Why did Sony do it this way? :/

Considering this trailer has an explicit MCU character in it (one that people really enjoyed!) and people are more "WTF' than 'hell yes'....

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It's kind of hilarious seeing the reactions that this somehow damages or is inferior to the masterpieces that are the MCU. Even though they're formulaic as hell.

Venom was a terrible movie but enjoyable nevertheless. This will probably be the same. I don't know why people get upset that there are marvel movies out there that aren't from Feige, if you want to watch the formula of Michael Bay levels of excess in action followed by a pause, quip then repeat, then there are 3 movies a year coming from that pipeline.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
characters like Venom and Morbius being able to be in the MCU.
Nah, it's more of passing references that will amount to nothing. Nothing here, or Venom, will be referenced ever in the MCU proper.

Disney wouldn't compromise their biggest franchise for some movies that will be rebooted in no time, once they bomb or Tom Hardy or Leto jump the ship.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
None of these movies will be joining the MCU. Sony can put Spider-Man or Spider-Man things into their non-MCU films, to an extent. Sony owns these Characters (their IP) so they can do as they please. None of this is any indication of any appearances in the MCU.

The Spider-Man poster is almost 100% a "nod", and nothing more. Just as Suicide Squad had nods to Batman, but no actual Batman presence.

Guess we will see but having Keaton showing up too, seems to suggest a connection. Which is totally fine, doesn't mean it can't be a self contained story, set in the MCU.

Also Batman was in Suicide Squad.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the thing... this is pretty much Morbius. He's always been a tonally-weird, dark, sad, angsty, moody character in the comics
Yeah, that's exactly why I understand the tone for the trailer. I saw people in this thread complaning that it was dark/etc. That's the character. This isn't supposed to be Mysterio or Vulture.

which is why he's always been a C-lister at best as well.
Honestly I'm surprised they're going for Morbius "so soon" when Kraven would have been (to me) a better option. But what A/B-listers are left from Spiderman that haven't been done in other somewhat recent movies? Not rhetorical, maybe I'm missing someone?

I'm not saying I think the movie is going to be great, but I really didn't think the trailer was as horrible as people in this thread are finding it to be. Maybe I just have shitty taste. :(

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Considering this trailer has an explicit MCU character in it (one that people really enjoyed!) and people are more "WTF' than 'hell yes'....

Ok then, after Morbius title appears this happens

Adrian Toomes: I guess we can say you are off omelets and are on the all blood diet, doc.

MCU fans would pee themselves and be thrilled at the banter, "This is what we want!!!"

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of hilarious seeing the reactions that this somehow damages or is inferior to the masterpieces that are the MCU. Even though they're formulaic as hell.

Venom was a terrible movie but enjoyable nevertheless. This will probably be the same. I don't know why people get upset that there are marvel movies out there that aren't from Feige, if you want to watch the formula of Michael Bay levels of excess in action followed by a pause, quip then repeat, then there are 3 movies a year coming from that pipeline.
You know what? Fuck it. Despite how bland Black Widow looks it will be 10x better than this Dracula Untold sequel with terrible CGI. I wouldnt even go see this shit for free. It's a literal stain on the legacy that is the MCU and if I was Feige, I would go tell Sony to bite a big one and enjoy rolling in wet trash that is their movies.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
To simply represent Spider-Man. It wasn't a real life shot of Spider-Man on the wall.
And where did Stark tower go?

Half-assed production design.

More likely I suspect that their recent negotiation with Marvel to extend the deal had terms that include "cannot use the MCU Spider-Man suit(s)" etc.

So they have found as many ways to suggest connection to the MCU as possible whilst meeting the terms of the contract.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Where the booty dancers represent Sony's Marvelverse and Smithers represents MCU fans.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Guess we will see but having Keaton showing up too, seems to suggest a connection. Which is totally fine, doesn't mean it can't be a self contained story, set in the MCU.

Also Batman was in Suicide Squad.

We don't have to see, lol. Marvel literally publishes their phases so everyone knows what movies are coming and when. If these movies were going to be a part of the larger MCU, then we'd know it. Keaton showing up is meaningless because Marvel / Disney doesn't control that IP or the appearance of that character, Sony does. Now, if it were say, Doctor Strange showing up in this trailer, that's entirely different. Don't read too much into this. It's just a clever move by Sony to drum up more excitement for this movie and tie together their villains for a larger movie that may or may not be Spider-Man, but for sure won't tie into the bigger MCU picture.

I mean, outside of Iron Man in Homecoming, or Happy / End Game fallout in Far from Home, the Spidey movies also largely stand on their own w/out any MCU interaction.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
You know what? Fuck it. Despite how bland Black Widow looks it will be 10x better than this Dracula Untold sequel with terrible CGI. I wouldnt even go see this shit for free. It's a literal stain on the legacy that is the MCU and if I was Feige, I would go tell Sony to bite a big one and enjoy rolling in wet trash that is their movies.
So don't go see it. Many Marvel movies are bland, MCU or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Using a PS4 render of the Raimi suit is such a Sony Pictures thing to do

But seriously though does this take place in the Raimiverse?
I don't think so. I think it's meant to loosely connect to the MCU, but exists in its own Sony bubble like a side-universe haphazardly stitched to the MCU's neck.
gi2dYfTm.png

It might be some really weird legal mess where they're now entitled to make references to the MCU but don't have access to some MCU visual assets as outlined in some lawyer's 150 page document.

Their new deal with marvel could have been very finicky with extremely specific concessions and allowances for either side itemized out.
Like for example maybe both agreed to allow the MCU Vulture character in this but only outside the suit as long as he ends up the same place he started, and can vaguely reference MCU events but not directly depict/participate in them. And perhaps chose to depict generic spiderman imagery during production and not literally MCU spiderman because negotiations were still ongoing while filming. Or maybe in their mutual agreement they're not even allowed to literally depict MCU Holland Spider-man in their sony side-universe and have to stick with non-MCU spider-man imagery.

The whole shared custody thing probably got more complicated when they renegotiated, and uncertain futures may have motivated them to depict a version of spider-man that has nothing to do with the marvel deal.
Or Sony is just Sony and makes weird choices.
Or a little bit of both.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Soooo what was everyone's favorite part of the trailer?

• 11 year old morbius dressed like a 95 year old man playing chess in the laziest and most overused film way to show a character's intelligence?
  • Morbius winning a nobel prize in ANOTHER 'look how smart he is!!!' moment that was like when the intro to Venom claimed he was an incredible journalist
  • The scientists doing their work in the least well lit lab of all time
  • Morbius using a ridiculous kukri knife to cut his hand instead of any kind of regular knife
  • His goofy ass yell into the camera as CGI bats avoid him entirely
  • The dramatic emotional punching the glass cell and making laughable cracks in it
  • From the studio that brought you movies with non-predatory actors
  • stealing the batman begins bats scene
  • stealing the x-men 2 nightcrawler white house scene
  • why is there an ancient sarcophagus in his lab
  • his ecolocation ability being used....in a normal room with nothing in it
  • him not even coming close to hitting the guy in the ship with his first claw attack
  • his jump at the 2:00 minute mark looking like someone forgot to lift the wires high enough
  • superhero landing from a 3 foot jump @ 2:03
  • stealing art assets from the spider PS4 game
  • Generic sadman yell @ 2:10
  • Generic 'person gets dragged away!!!' at 2:18
The only actual good part.

Jared Harris talking, that man can talk.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I'm surprised they're going for Morbius "so soon" when Kraven would have been (to me) a better option. But what A/B-listers are left from Spiderman that haven't been done in other somewhat recent movies? Not rhetorical, maybe I'm missing someone?
Black Cat and Silver Sable, both of whom have movies (or a movie together for some reason) that have been in development hell for ages because Sony has no idea what they're doing.

Prowler is another easy gimme.

Spider-Man 2099 is another easy one that avoids any continuity problems entirely.

All of those are the lowest hanging fruit, but the fact that their next lined up character is probably Kraven the Hunter, a villain who has never headlined his own book, tells us all we really need to know about how Sony is approaching this. i.e. they have no plan and are just throwing anything they can at the wall. Their current strategy is to be the remora that attaches itself to the MCU shark in hopes of confusing audiences and eating their ticket sales in the MCU's wake.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's exactly why I understand the tone for the trailer. I saw people in this thread complaning that it was dark/etc. That's the character. This isn't supposed to be Mysterio or Vulture.

I'm not saying I think the movie is going to be great, but I really didn't think the trailer was as horrible as people in this thread are finding it to be. Maybe I just have shitty taste. :(
For Spider-man adjacent characters Sony has their hands on, I'd have gone with a few others first, myself.
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDUvODYxL2kwMi9zaWx2ZXItc2FibGUtd2lsZC1wYWNrLTEuanBn

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNjkvMjc3L2kwMi9TV09NQU4yMDIwMDAxX2Nvdi5qcGc=

And I'm shocked Sony hasn't just outright done their own live-action Spider-man stories of several of the other non-Peter Spider-men outside of Into the Spider-verse.
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8xNTMvMzYwL2kwMi9TTTIwOTkyMDE1MDAzX0Nvdi5qcGc=

... BUT the well isn't that deep. Outside of Spider-men & women (and Venom is definitely one), Morbius is arguably the most popular Spider-man spin-off character who carried his own book for awhile.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Because they show the New York skyline without the Stark tower in it.

Its not like marvel has a movie titled Multiverse of Madness coming up where they can explain all that shit without fucking the continuity up or giving the sonyverse a way out to do whatever the fuck they want with their tom holland spiderman

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Jessica Drew is a tricky one as she's a shared character like the Maximoff twins were but the details are more split: Sony can't reference her backstory at all and Marvel can't use the Spider-Woman identity. She's a character without a home, the only way I could see them using her is if they just base her on Ultimate Jessica Drew, who kind of requires Peter Parker.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I'm sorry but I'm visually imagining the sight of this in my head and I can't stop laughing.

I have bad experiences with producers so they are always the first I blame! Filmmaking is a collaborative artform, so 'too many cooks' is the main reason movies turn out bad or feel 'schizophrenic', everyone wants their idea in the movie. So knowing that, it's amazing when we get great movies too though.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
We don't have to see, lol. Marvel literally publishes their phases so everyone knows what movies are coming and when. If these movies were going to be a part of the larger MCU, then we'd know it. Keaton showing up is meaningless because Marvel / Disney doesn't control that IP or the appearance of that character, Sony does. Now, if it were say, Doctor Strange showing up in this trailer, that's entirely different. Don't read too much into this. It's just a clever move by Sony to drum up more excitement for this movie and tie together their villains for a larger movie that may or may not be Spider-Man, but for sure won't tie into the bigger MCU picture.

I mean, outside of Iron Man in Homecoming, or Happy / End Game fallout in Far from Home, the Spidey movies also largely stand on their own w/out any MCU interaction.

Which is fine, there can be mini arcs set in the MCU, without the need to connect to the bigger overall arc or impact what Marvel / Disney have planned. The Netflix MCU shows did that rather well.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It looks fine, nothing special. Hopefully it manages to be a decent time. You can definitely tell they know what they're playing with, due to all the spider-man references in it. That's going to get more people in the theater than the character himself.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
From the studio that brough you . . . Venom. Wo hoo!

Anyway, not that interested in another origin story.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
That is no indication it is not in the MCU. There are many present indications it is, and you choose to go by absence as proof?
There are about as many signs it is as there are that it isn't.

Kevin Fiege announced the MCU slate here:

I don't see it on there.

Although to me it's less of a narrative question than it's a legal/contract question. Clearly it's in Sony's interests to present it like an MCU movie even though none of the creative team in charge of the MCU are involved in it's creation.

If it was a proper MCU movie, they would have the rights to Stark tower, the MCU suit, and probably even Tom Holland.

Note that Tom Holland very publicly said he didn't want to have to make Spider-man films for Sony without Marvel's involvement because he wants to stay in the MCU.

From this trailer you can see it's more quality-wise in line with Venom than any of the MCU movies.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jessica Drew is a tricky one as she's a shared character like the Maximoff twins were but the details are more split: Sony can't reference her backstory at all and Marvel can't use the Spider-Woman identity. She's a character without a home, the only way I could see them using her is if they just base her on Ultimate Jessica Drew, who kind of requires Peter Parker.
True, but even then there are, like, a dozen other Spider-Girl/Woman characters they could have used.
ad4e5gcyd4xltyw7jp8m.png

Edit: I'm including Betty Brant just now because, holy cow, I just discovered there's a Betty Brant Spider-Girl and I'm howling.
kegxmtjbyztjcbqurlsb.png

Oct 26, 2017
No, Sony, no! Don't you dare try to trick people into thinking this is connected to the MCU!

Man, the trailer looks like Venom. Same lighting, same pacing, same shots. Siiiiiiiggggggggh.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There are about as many signs it is as there are that it isn't.

Kevin Fiege announced the MCU slate here:

I don't see it on there.

Although to me it's less of a narrative question than it's a legal/contract question. Clearly it's in Sony's interests to present it like an MCU movie even though none of the create team in charge of the MCU are involved in it's creation.

If it was a proper MCU movie, they would have the rights to Stark tower, the MCU suit, and probably even Tom Holland.

Note that Tom Holland very publicly said he didn't want to have to make Spider-man films for Sony without Marvel's involvement because he wants to stay in the MCU.

From this trailer you can see it's more quality-wise in line with Venom than any of the MCU movies.

This is silly. The film is clearly meant to be in the MCU. To argue that after the final scene of the trailer is nonsensical.

That doesn't mean it won't be ignored once the film bombs. But we have confirmation that this movie has Vulture -- after his appearance in Homecoming.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
This is silly. The film is clearly meant to be in the MCU. To argue that after the final scene of the trailer is nonsensical.

That doesn't mean it won't be ignored once the film bombs. But we have confirmation that this movie has Vulture -- after his appearance in Homecoming.
So are the Sam Raimi films MCU too?

Which other MCU films did not have Kevin Feige credited as a producer?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So are the Sam Raimi films MCU too?

No, obviously not. Using that costume in the poster is hilariously stupid/lazy.

But that isn't a valid counter-argument against the fact that Vulture from the MCU is in the trailer and it's set after Homecoming.

You're pulling at straws to build a strange argument. This movie, as of now, is factually part of the MCU. They wouldn't have Vulture after he broke out of prison or whatever if it weren't.