• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Looks better than Black Widow at least, lol.
I liked Venom. That was the kind of stupid action superhero movie with some good action and humor that I liked in the 2000s. I will give this a watch when it comes to Netflix/Prime.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I won't be shocked if Keaton's character is never addressed by name and you're just supposed to assume it's Toomes.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only missing one, since we have Scorpion and Shocker.
You mean Vorpion and Vocker to go alongside Venom, Vulture and Vorbius.

I hope we get Voc Ock next.

I won't be shocked if Keaton's character is never addressed by name and you're just supposed to assume it's Toomes.
There's a lot they can get away with.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
im glad the mcu came along to give comic book fans actual good comic book movies. this looks like its from the 90's and thats not a good thing. it looks way worse than venom and doesnt have a tom hardy to make it less painful.

its really unfortunate that sony has spider-man rights.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
The trailer looks meh. I'm hoping the actual movie is more campy and fun. We'll see. Since it's clearly obviously part of MCU I suppose I'll have to see it.

That's how Sony get ya.

FunkyPajamas

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Black Cat and Silver Sable, both of whom have movies (or a movie together for some reason) that have been in development hell for ages because Sony has no idea what they're doing.
Yikes. I'm getting Hale Berry Catwoman flashbacks.

Prowler is another easy gimme.
Prowler might work, but I feel like we've already already had enough "normal guys that are tech/mechanical geniuses". I liked that they tried to make Venom work, because of the symbiote and the possibilities it introduces, even if I didn't enjoy the movie.

All of those are the lowest hanging fruit, but the fact that their next lined up character is probably Kraven the Hunter, a villain who has never headlined his own book, tells us all we really need to know about how Sony is approaching this. i.e. they have no plan and are just throwing anything they can at the wall.
Honestly what I'd like to see about Kraven is Spiderman on the hunt, running for his life, outgunned and outmaneuvered by a seasoned killer. Kraven as a character is just that to me. It would make no sense for a Kraven stand alone film, in my opinion. I don't think bringing Kraven means Sony has run out of ideas, and (again, in my opinion) it makes sense after Far From Home's after credit's scene.
Spider-Man 2099 is another easy one that avoids any continuity problems entirely.
This I'd like to see, but I'm not sure whether I'd like a live-action film or would prefer an animated/Spiderverse type thing.
For Spider-man adjacent characters Sony has their hands on, I'd have gone with a few others first, myself.
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMDUvODYxL2kwMi9zaWx2ZXItc2FibGUtd2lsZC1wYWNrLTEuanBn

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNjkvMjc3L2kwMi9TV09NQU4yMDIwMDAxX2Nvdi5qcGc=

And I'm shocked Sony hasn't just outright done their own live-action Spider-man stories of several of the other non-Peter Spider-men outside of Into the Spider-verse.
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8xNTMvMzYwL2kwMi9TTTIwOTkyMDE1MDAzX0Nvdi5qcGc=

... BUT the well isn't that deep. Outside of Spider-men & women (and Venom is definitely one), Morbius is arguably the most popular Spider-man spin-off character who carried his own book for awhile.
Yeah, I'm thinking of characters that can have their standalone movies within the Holland-verse. Not necessarily MCU, but to eventually connect them with Holland's Spidey.

For other Spider-entities I'd be fine with sequels to Spider-verse for now.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony could have had a woman super spy movie before Marvel did with Black Widow if they'd gone this route.
Wasn't that their pitch for the Aunt May movie?
But according to Latino Review, the Aunt May spinoff will take place before all that. Instead, she'll be a young spy. Think Mad Men or Pan Am… or perhaps, though Sony's probably not eager to make his comparison, a Spidey-verse version of Agent Carter.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Hopefully the next trailer is better because this trailer didn't make me excited to see it at all.
Only problem with these Sony movies are going to be the people who will constantly say if it was made by Feige or Disney you'd like it whether the trailer actually looks bad or not. Hell, the 1st Venom trailer wasn't great but did have some good meme moments that people loved.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Unless Marvel loans the rights to some of their characters to Sony, these movies will likely never become truly integrated into into the MCU as some people are thinking.

Remember, Sony actually owns all of the Spider-Man IP, including villains like Vulture, and Feige once said: "In a statement, Marvel head Kevin Feige teased: '[Spider Man] also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes, so as Sony continues to develop their own Spidey-verse you never know what surprises the future might hold.'"

As others in this thread have predicted, I'd wager any aspects of this "shared universe" will be a one-way street wherein Sony tries to position things as being as much a part of the MCU as possible, and Marvel proceeds to ignore everything Sony does.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It looks pretty bad. But who knows, maybe it will be a surprise. I like Jared Leto as an actor so I'm willing to at least give it a shot if the reviews aren't awful.

Oct 29, 2017
Looks awful and unnecessary as expected. I hate what Sony is trying to do with these villain spinoffs and always will.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Wasn't there rumors of Keaton in Far From Home? It was from big sites like Hollywood Report and Variety too. Maybe they just told him he was shooting for that but instead it was Morbius.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
What's up with Michael Keaton? Is he playing Vulture? This whole SONY/MCU shit is way confusing.

Why is it confusing?
1) Sony can use MCU Spiderman (and characters) in their movies. Haven't confirmed if other MCU characters can appear/be referenced.
2) Marvel Studios (Kevin Feige) hasn't confirmed if MCU will use Sony characters (Venom, Morbius, etc) in their movies

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Looks quite bland. The main thing I took from the trailer is that Leto is rocking his signature Sexy White Jesus look in this movie.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, I changed my mind. I'm glad Sony is doing a Morbius movie, cause I don't trust them to do justice to any of the stuff I care about.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
So many Leto haters. Probably support Trump as well with their bad taste.
Leto will be excellent and u will regret your hate.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finally the Marvel/DC crossover we've been waiting for.

And was that Blade in that one scene?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
it will only be the 'spider-man' events of the mcu, and the 'spider-man' character, which will connect to this and venom... nothing else

only the stuff sony actually own they'll use

Nov 2, 2018
This was so supposed to be so simple. MCU introduces Madam Web, who from time to time literally borrows Tom Holland to go to the Sony Verse to defeat a villain because destiny demands it, cultivating in stage 1 Sony phase finale where you get 6 Spider-Man to fight the sinister six while keeping everything concisely seperate. CHRIST

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
There are about as many signs it is as there are that it isn't.

Kevin Fiege announced the MCU slate here:

I don't see it on there.

Although to me it's less of a narrative question than it's a legal/contract question. Clearly it's in Sony's interests to present it like an MCU movie even though none of the creative team in charge of the MCU are involved in it's creation.

If it was a proper MCU movie, they would have the rights to Stark tower, the MCU suit, and probably even Tom Holland.

Note that Tom Holland very publicly said he didn't want to have to make Spider-man films for Sony without Marvel's involvement because he wants to stay in the MCU.

From this trailer you can see it's more quality-wise in line with Venom than any of the MCU movies.

Sony doesn't give a crap about having Morbius or Venom meet the Avengers or the Eternals or whatever they do next, they want to eventually implement Spider-Man or make MCU Spider-Man films with the inclusion of those characters. They want Tom Holland Spidey, no one else, and by default they would be connected to the MCU.

You are arguing not having rights to show certain MCU things and characters as proof its not part of the MCU, but that is something entirely different.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
looked kinda boring imo. as for vulture im thinking they can use the characters in the mcu with the same backstory to them except not acknowledge or use anything mcu related and have it be in an alternate universe. weird way to go.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I'm wondering if Morbius or any of these Sony films have permission from Marvel to reference events from the MCU like the Snap and the Blip, especially since the MCU Spidey film reference the MCU a lot.