• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
uJJr6T0.png

Release Date: April 29, 2019
Developer: Triternion
Publisher: Triternion
Platforms: PC
Price: 29.99(10% launch Discount)

LINKS
Steam
Mordhau.com
YouTube
How to 'Git Gud' Soon™
Mordhau Era Discord

OVERVIEW

What is Mordhau?
Mordhau is a medieval first & third person multiplayer slasher. Enter a hectic battlefield of up to 64 players as a mercenary in a fictional, but realistic world, where you will get to experience the brutal and satisfying melee combat that will have you always coming back for more.

Developer
Mordhau is being developed by Triternion, a small international team of independent developers from Austria, Canada, Germany, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, and Sweden. Most of us have a background in arts or computer science and are big fans of multiplayer slasher games, which we also play competitively.

GAMEPLAY

Melee Combat
Chain your attacks into combos, punish your opponents with quick counters, push them away with kicks, trick them with feints, grip your polearm closer to the head, use real halfswording techniques -- and much, much more. Mordhau has a very deep and rewarding combat system. To learn more view the video above and to go very in depth click on the Guide in the links section.

Game Modes
Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Skirmish(No respawns)
Battle Royale(64 Players)
Conquest(64 Players) Siege weaponry, cavalry combat and more.
Horde Mode(Co-op vs Waves of Enemy AI)

Progression
There is leveling and gold. Levels unlock gear and customization options that can then be purchased with gold. Gold is awarded after every match and acquired in game only. Basic weapon and armor types are fairly cheap to buy and the more expensive ones are purely cosmetic upgrades.

Loadouts
There is a point based loadout system in Mordhau. Armor types, weapons, utilities and perks all take up points. You have multiple slots to try out different builds.

Weapons
Smith your sword out of individual pieces: pick from blades, crossguards and grips. Want a mace instead? No problem, pick your head and handle and choose the wood type. There are thousands of possible combinations.
RFjg1pV.png

3 slots for weapons or utilities.
1-3 point weapons: Side arms & backup weapons, either they lack damage or reach, but can really help out if you just need to land one more hit on someone.
3-5 point weapons: Dueling Weapons. These fill the role of backup or primary; these weapons are usually suited more towards duels, but can be used in teamfights pretty well, especially the longsword and the messer.
6-8 point weapons: Middle-ground weapons. Bardiche, greatsword, poleaxe and battleaxe are pretty great in every situation, especially if you use the alternate modes.
8+ points weapons: Support weapons. These tend to shine in team fights, with great reach and good damage. Eveningstar packs a massive punch but is slow, while something like the spear can get super quick stabs in from crazy far away. Halberd/zwei are awesome cleaving weapons and work best when you don't stick to a 1v1, instead switching around to get kills on people who are fighting someone else.

Armor
Create your suit of armor: pick from gloves, arms, shoulders, chest pieces, legs, boots, helmets, and more. Color each piece to your liking and select a metal tint. Be anything from a viking to a crusader, or even a sharpshooting archer. Armor is important, as it will mitigate damage dealt to those parts of your body. There are 4 tiers of armor in Mordhau. Each armor tier has progressing amounts of damage mitigation, at the cost of footspeed. Cosmetic/T0 items are purely aesthetic, as their name implies.

3 Armored Slots 5 Cosmetic Slots
Head(Armor)
Neck
Shoulder
Torso(Armor)
Hands
Waist
Legs(Armor)
Feet

Perks
Player Perks offer unique passive buffs & abilities for your character. Each perk you choose has an associated point cost with it; so you must choose wisely.

Customization
Sculpt your face, create your weapon from parts, and pick out individual pieces of armor to create the perfect warrior. Female player models coming after release.

SPECS
MINIMUM:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Intel Core i5 - 4670 or AMD equivalent
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 680 or AMD equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
OS: Windows 7 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Intel Core i5 - 6600k or AMD equivalent
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 or AMD equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 20 GB available space

VIDEOS
Basics
Melee Combat
Customization
Road To Release
Soundtrack
Game Modes

SCREENSHOTS
Vr0G2PV.jpg

a3XaPtW.jpg

hpXmTL8.jpg

eGSCQvh.jpg

OO7yJn1.jpg

pIfvxDJ.jpg

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Oh man I'd completely missed this, Chivalry is one of the only multiplayer games I stuck with more than a few hours so I'll definitely pick this up tomorrow based on impressions.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'll probably buy it because I'm a medieval warfare nut. My problem is I tend to not be very good at these multiplayer games and that really upsets me. LOL I'm not huge on first person either but I'll definitely give it a try.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Kickstarted this, tried the closed beta once, felt like a proper great "next-gen" Chivalry.

I promptly uninstalled it, only to experience it as fresh as possible come release.

Tomorrow, heads are going to fall! Mine probably most!

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Kickstarted this, tried the closed beta once, felt like a proper great "next-gen" Chivalry.

I promptly uninstalled it, only to experience it as fresh as possible come release.

Tomorrow, heads are going to fall! Mine probably most!
I admire your strength lol. No way I could have held off for so long but it was probably for the best.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
I admire your strength lol. No way I could have held off for so long but it was probably for the best.
One of reasons was that I wouldn't want to get burned out just in time for the release. I remember playing shit ton of Chivalry like 1 to 2 months and then just got sick and tired of it.

Also these games are best experienced with friends (for me anyway)! I was the only one who kickstarted it from my circle so I'm kinda hoping they will also follow once this releases.

I have such high hopes for this one. Based on my short tryout it really felt like evolved Chivalry in many sense. Really satisfying kills and weapon feedback.

Here's hoping this game will be succesful. I do have a feeling BR-mode will be trending on twitch at some level, however I'm not sure how far are people willing to go to learn to actually play this game. It kinda feels really simple based on quick spectation but when you're in control, oh boy. So I could see people going into it thinking it will be brainless hack'n'slash without depth whatsoever but the reality of things will be apparent soon enough.

But once again, can't wait for tomorrow!

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My brother has been showing me this, looks really fun. Lost my shit at one video of people bonking each other with lutes.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
One of reasons was that I wouldn't want to get burned out just in time for the release. I remember playing shit ton of Chivalry like 1 to 2 months and then just got sick and tired of it.

Also these games are best experienced with friends (for me anyway)! I was the only one who kickstarted it from my circle so I'm kinda hoping they will also follow once this releases.

I have such high hopes for this one. Based on my short tryout it really felt like evolved Chivalry in many sense. Really satisfying kills and weapon feedback.

Here's hoping this game will be succesful. I do have a feeling BR-mode will be trending on twitch at some level, however I'm not sure how far are people willing to go to learn to actually play this game. It kinda feels really simple based on quick spectation but when you're in control, oh boy. So I could see people going into it thinking it will be brainless hack'n'slash without depth whatsoever but the reality of things will be apparent soon enough.

But once again, can't wait for tomorrow!

Devs felt the same way which is why they refused to go early access with this one. They knew they had the combat down but didn't want to release the game unfinished and barebones and give people a bad first impression. That's a rare thing for a studio to do.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I remember two years or so ago there was this meme by some posters who would keep saying how "Mordhau will blow For Honor OUT OF THE GOD DAMN WATER".
That's literally all I remember about this game.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Devs felt the same way which is why they refused to go early access with this one. They knew they had the combat down but didn't want to release the game unfinished and barebones and give people a bad first impression. That's a rare thing for a studio to do.
Can only give mad respect for this decision nowadays.

Now here's hoping they have balanced the game well and all weapon types are actually viable to use. Haven't done my research too well on this subject, but I'm quite optimistic.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Can only give mad respect for this decision nowadays.

Now here's hoping they have balanced the game well and all weapon types are actually viable to use. Haven't done my research too well on this subject, but I'm quite optimistic.
Devs actually spend a lot of the time in the discord talking to people. They are constantly working on balances and tweaks to make everything viable and it won't stop at release. They seem really committed to making the combat great.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Devs actually spend a lot of the time in the discord talking to people. They are constantly working on balances and tweaks to make everything viable and it won't stop at release. They seem really committed to making the combat great.
That's grat to hear! I have a feeling this game also has VERY committed circle of people who wants to help them out to hone this as great as possible. One of the good things about keeping it off early access and give access to most dedicated people only.

When this releases, forums will be full of threads like "delete halberds!" with no actual feedback whatsoever and it will be hard as hell to single out some actually useful information there instead of usual knee jerk reactions.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It does look janky in the most traditional Chivalry way, but still... I don't see how you could persuade the average gamer to play this instead of For Honor.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
No more rainbow slashes? But how else will I gain the upper hand on noobs and then mock their dead carcass with emotes?

Idk if I wanna time sink into this just yet. I will most likely get it by years end so no harm in waiting to see how this shakes out.

Also pour one out to Torn Banner; get beaten to the punch on their own game after the disaster that was Mirage.

P.S Is dragging still in this game?

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
No more rainbow slashes? But how else will I gain the upper hand on noobs and then mock their dead carcass with emotes?

Idk if I wanna time sink into this just yet. I will most likely get it by years end so no harm in waiting to see how this shakes out.

Also pour one out to Torn Banner; get beaten to the punch on their own game after the disaster that was Mirage.

P.S Is dragging still in this game?
Dragging is still in yes.

It does look janky in the most traditional Chivalry way, but still... I don't see how you could persuade the average gamer to play this instead of For Honor.

Very different from For Honor. I personally can't stand the way For Honor plays but that game is more of a fighter. The combat in this game is very refined. A lot of streamers will be jumping on today. This game should do well.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
I had no idea this was releasing so it's an extremely pleasant surprise. I loved Chivalry, and this looks like a bigger and better Chivalry, so I'm in as soon as Steam lets me buy a copy! Any idea how big the download is?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah interested in hearing impressions too. I never tried Chivalry or For Honor, but this looks really cool.

Oct 28, 2017
I like that these devs specifically target Chivalry type "mechanics" like reverse overheads and 360 spins for deletion. They don't want then in this game.

I'm definitely one of the few who liked reverse OHs. Ironically, they made certain weapons that would otherwise be sub-par quite viable.

You can still play extremely exploitatively. The problem is that reverse OHs, waterfalls etc would be impossible to deal with given all the additional layers like chambering etc.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Game is definitely fun and I would say one of its biggest strengths in gameplay is its hit feedback.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Played for a few solid hours. Server issues aside(seems to be BR and Conquest suffering) The game is fantastic. Great polish, very deep customization, combat and fun modes. This game deserves to do well. It is HARD though. Probably one of the most challenging horde modes I've played.