• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Crackdown holds up very nicely when it comes to the gameplay. I'm having plenty of fun and it's kind of making me more at ease about Crackdown 3. The gameplay videos didn't do much for me but even if it turns out to be more of the same but of course better looking... I'd be ok with that.

I'm especially surprised how fun the driving still is. Really shows how good it was back then and just so much better designed than Saints Row or Sleeping Dogs, good lord Sleeping Dogs driving.

That's what I loved about Crackdown, they just focused on gameplay and making it fun. The story is kept simple and it doesn't block your playtime with endless cutscenes. Then there are the orbs, things you actually want to collect. It feels great getting them and it's a key part of the game, a lot of them are like puzzles. Compare what you get now with a lot of games were there are thousands of things dotted on a map that do little to nothing.

Edigar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What MS is doing is amazing, but my brother, who is an XONE owner, hasn't bought a game for over an year. He has Live Gold, EA Access and Gamepass.

This scheme can't sustain investiments from indie, small japanese compannies and third parties.

Let's see how things will go from now. I can say for sure MS enginners are crazy good.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Played crackdown on my S after looking at the enhanced gif here. and it obvious to me now, I need a damn X.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Crackdown - Xbox One X Enhanced
Found my Japan version!

crackdownaksmm.jpeg

Is that Arsène Lupin the 3erd? Kinda looks like him

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question: Are Xbox enhanced games only enhanced on the X or also on vanilla Xbox One? I think I heard that these games also have some benefits on Xbox One (of course not in the same way).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
What MS is doing is amazing, but my brother, who is an XONE owner, hasn't bought a game for over an year. He has Live Gold, EA Access and Gamepass.

This scheme can't sustain investiments from indie, small japanese compannies and third parties.

You think microsoft just put games on GP for kicks and screw the people who made them? Most small indie developers are bound to get a bigger fee to let their game on GP for 3-4 months than actually getting that money on sales even for a year

Question: Are Xbox enhanced games only enhanced on the X or also on vanilla Xbox One? I think I heard that these games also have some benefits on Xbox One (of course not in the same way).

The benefit for OG and One S are when the game is made BC
One X enhancements dont apply to older versions, sadly.

But since Crackdown was announced at the same time as its enhanced version it probably have some benefits for OG and One S owners as well

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Let's see how things will go from now. I can say for sure MS enginners are crazy good.

If he bought Gold, EA Access and Game Pass for a year or so, he already spent close to 200$ for 12 months of gaming. Possibly DLCs, lootboxes, whatever. Are you sure devs and publishers would have got that kind of money from him in a year? Used copies don't give them money. When he brings a used copy to make a new game cheaper, that's still, in a way, a loss for the makers of the game you brought in. And if your brother is addicted to FIFA or whatever, he WILL stay subscribed, he won't just stop paying suddenly, which means that EA gets money from him continously, rather than maybe one year on, maybe one year off, maybe this time he buys it used, maybe this time he gets gifted his friend's copy, etc..

Those services, like Netflix and Spotify, work on the basis that people love to spend less to have more. But they are profittable because it's a constant stream of money: instead of maybe spending 30$ once and then maybe 40$ in 5 months, you are consistently spending money, even in months you barely use the service because you don't want to lose access in case you need it.

Also, nothing stops indies from striking a deal with MS and getting on Game Pass. For an indie that has sales expectations of a couple thousand units at best, suddenly being played by potentially millions of players is not something to underestimate, even if the overall income from the deal might be inferior than what the sales would generate. And they still do generate money that way: Game Pass, EA Access, etc. are not killing traditional business models, hence the fact FIFA, Battlefront, etc. are still well in the top 10 every year, proving that this subscription alternative is not for everyone and does not kill other methods of access.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
They are enhanced in the way the have better framerate really, vsync enabled and faster loading times.

Oct 26, 2017
That's what I loved about Crackdown, they just focused on gameplay and making it fun. The story is kept simple and it doesn't block your playtime with endless cutscenes. Then there are the orbs, things you actually want to collect. It feels great getting them and it's a key part of the game, a lot of them are like puzzles. Compare what you get now with a lot of games were there are thousands of things dotted on a map that do little to nothing.

Exactly man. These collectables actually matter. Really hope they nail that for 3 as well, don't make things overly complicated, just give us reason to go orb hunting. Very few games even do that, if any. That you need to collect these orbs to become stronger and that your vehicles upgrade as well.

By the way, standard contrast or high contrast for the game?

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
OG Xbox BC games are getting resolution upgrades too just capped at 1080p on the XB1(S). 360 BC games though are just like they were on the 360 despite having V-Sync and better loading times and maybe a better performance overall.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Heres a question

Why is there only an option for X owners?

You would think with the base xbox one being a lot more powerful than the 360 then you could update graphics on base?

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Heres a question

Why is there only an option for X owners?

You would think with the base xbox one being a lot more powerful than the 360 then you could update graphics on base?
Quite often, 360 titles that are made BC have improvements by default regardless of what xbox one you are using. See read dead digital foundry vid for example of this.

Enhanced 360 titles are titles that use the extra power of the X to improve even further.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quite often, 360 titles that are made BC have improvements by default regardless of what xbox one you are using. See read dead digital foundry vid for example of this.

Enhanced 360 titles are titles that use the extra power of the X to improve even further.

I understand this. I just thought the normal xbox one could do these enhancements.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I understand this. I just thought the normal xbox one could do these enhancements.

Normal Xbox can do enhancements, every bc title is already improved compared to the 360 versions. The emulator wrapping do most of the work already

These 4k textures and stuff like hdr nope, only the x

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really need to pick up the X again. Had one at launch but it had hardware issues so it went back for a refund.

I want to pull the trigger again so bad but I'm nervous there's gonna be some great bundle or sale once we get closer to E3.

Calverz

Oct 28, 2017
Na. Im not an expert, but i believe they use the power from the extra gpu available on x to literally for the emulator to make these enhancements. From what iv seen in this thread, they are actually increasing pixel count substantially. I just dont think the regular xbox one Has the power to do this. Think of it like this, yes the xbox one is a lot more powerful than the 360. But think what its like to run emulators on a pc for recent games. Hell even ps2 games etc. U need a good powerful pc to run them smooth. Same applies in this instance in a way.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If my PS4 Pro could play select PS3 games at 4K, with frame rate improvements, HDR and 16x AF I would be over the moon.

Microsoft have set a new standard for BC, this is what we should expect from all console manufacturers going forward.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I always liked the first Horizon the best, and this is making me want to play through the whole thing again. I'm lucky enough to have it digitally, and played just 15 minutes of it this morning just to see how it looks in 4k. It looks great. For some reason my save is gone, so I'd be starting from scratch. I'm considering it, despite still having a long way to go in Horizon 3. The first Horizon really nailed the location best, and its soundtrack is the best of the three too. (Though I guess with Spotify, Horizon 2 and 3 have whatever soundtrack I want them to.)

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the first Horizon the best, and this is making me want to play through the whole thing again. I'm lucky enough to have it digitally, and played just 15 minutes of it this morning just to see how it looks in 4k. It looks great. For some reason my save is gone, so I'd be starting from scratch. I'm considering it, despite still having a long way to go in Horizon 3. The first Horizon really nailed the location best, and its soundtrack is the best of the three too. (Though I guess with Spotify, Horizon 2 and 3 have whatever soundtrack I want them to.)

Having played all three to death, the first is my favorite as well. I played them out of order as well. I started with 2, then 1, then 3. The first really drives home that festival feel, with real characters. The soundtrack is also the best of them all. It looks absolutely glorious with this update, and I was absolutely floored with Witcher 2 and Crackdown.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I never played Crackdown (sorry!) but now seems like a good time to give it a go!

It still plays really well and hasn't dated so much, it really is a Sandbox game, you are dropped in an open world City, which has gang bosses that control various cartels. Taking out a particular Boss might disrupt the supply chain for weapons, meaning they have fewer guns, another might look after vehicles or a another might look after exposives. You wittle them away to "Clean up the city"
As you clean up the city of crime you also see the city physically become cleaner, as litter and graphitti gradually disapears.
It's pretty simple, pretty easy , doesn't really have much of a story, but is a bucket of fun.

AS the city becomes cleaner and you eradicate enemies you also gradually level your 4 abilities, this happens really gradually, you start off only being able to jump 6 feet into the air, after a few hours of play you can jump 60 feet! It really has a great feeling of progression and powering up, which is driven by collecting the 500 orbs dotted around the city, each one you collect makes you a tiny bit faster and lets you jump higher, the orbs themselves are often a traversal puzzle themselves as you might not be able to reach it with just your agility, but you may be able to find creative ways to reach them. Me and my friend used to co-op tricky orbs by one of us getting into a car, then other player would pick the car up and do a running jump and hurl the car with the other player inside.: Straight into the Orb we wanted to collect

It's great fun and super influential although it is not often given enough credit for it, it launched in jan/feb 2007.
Crackdown was one of the first games to do drop-in /drop-out co-op
It was also the game that defined what achievements are today, prior to Crackdown it was pretty much finished level 1, finish level 2, beat the game on easy.
Crackdown brought loads of little achievements to go out of your way to do or to happen by accident., "climb to the highest point in the game" "fall X metres and survive" "Pin 6 people to a car with the harpoon gun"

The orbs you collect are often imitated too, you can see the same design cropping up in later games such as Prince of Persia 2008, although in crackdown they were a core part of the game itself.

It also did updates and patching really well, they added in some free content that allows you to roam the city in god mode, spawning vehicles and explosives at will, a bit like a dev test mode, which you could also do in co-op and it brought a couple of smaller updates if you wanted some new weapons and cosmetics, all of which were useable by a co-op player who joined the game without having bought it.

There are articles about how infamous and Prototype were the 2 big superhero games of Gen8, but Crackdown was there rocking it 2.5 years before either of those released and clearly inspired them in parts.

It was one of the last big games to use Renderware, Criterion game's engine which was most famously used by all the GTA games upto and including San Andreas and the Burnout Series upto and including Paradise.

Last edited:

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
is it just me or are any of these games not appearing under enhanced? Hell, crackdown wasnt even in my list and i own it.

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It still plays really well and hasn't dated so much, it really is a Sandbox game, you are dropped in an open world City, which has gang bosses that control various cartels. Taking out a particular Boss might disrupt the supply chain for weapons, meaning they have fewer guns, another might look after vehicles or a another might look after exposives. You wittle them away to "Clean up the city"
As you clean up the city of crime you also see the city physically become cleaner, as litter and graphitti gradually disapears.
It's pretty simple, pretty easy , doesn't really have much of a story, but is a bucket of fun.

AS the city becomes cleaner and you eradicate enemies you also gradually level your 4 abilities, this happens really gradually, you start off only being able to jump 6 feet into the air, after a few hours of play you can jump 60 feet! It really has a great feeling of progression and powering up, which is driven by collecting the 500 orbs dotted around the city, each one you collect makes you a tiny bit faster and lets you jump higher, the orbs themselves are often a traversal puzzle themselves as you might not be able to reach it with just your agility, but you may be able to find creative ways to reach them. Me and my friend used to co-op tricky orbs by one of us getting into a car, then other player would pick the car up and do a running jump and hurl the car with the other player inside.: Straight into the Orb we wanted to collect

It's great fun and super influential although it is not often given enough credit for it, it launched in jan/feb 2007.
Crackdown was one of the first games to do drop-in /drop-out co-op
It was also the game that defined what achievements are today, prior to Crackdown it was pretty much finished level 1, finish level 2, beat the game on easy.
Crackdown brought loads of little achievements to go out of your way to do or to happen by accident., "climb to the highest point in the game" "fall X metres and survive" "Pin 6 people to a car with the harpoon gun"

The orbs you collect are often imitated too, you can see the same design cropping up in later games such as Prince of Persia 2008, although in crackdown they were a core part of the game itself.

It also did updates and patching really well, they added in some free content that allows you to roam the city in god mode, spawning vehicles and explosives at will, a bit like a dev test mode, which you could also do in co-op and it brought a couple of smaller updates if you wanted some new weapons and cosmetics, all of which were useable by a co-op player who joined the game without having bought it.

There are articles about how infamous and Prototype were the 2 big superhero games of Gen8, but Crackdown was there rocking it 2.5 years before either of those released and clearly inspired them in parts.

It was one of the last big games to use Renderware, Criterion game's engine which was most famously used by all the GTA games upto and including San Andreas and the Burnout Series upto and including Paradise.

Awesome, thank you for that. Sounds like something that's easy to pick up and play, I think I'm sold. I told myself no new video games in March dammit. I guess if I sneak this in now I'm golden.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Awesome, thank you for that. Sounds like something that's easy to pick up and play, I think I'm sold. I told myself no new video games in March dammit. I guess if I sneak this in now I'm golden.

Technically it's not a new videogame, so you are ok ;P
Also, buy it before it's March to be able to justify it to yourself.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Man... there are some parts where like everyone's throwing grenades or has rocket launchers and it's really frustrating just watching your character ragdoll around and you're going "Get UP!" but damn, it feels so good to play Crackdown again. I've already gotten my main skills all up to three stars (Shootin' Jumpin' and Punchin'). I actually wish I had been playing it for the last week or so just so I could get used to the Xbox 360 version so the difference in visuals would "smack" me in the face.

I guess it's not surprising given how it plays, but I always think it's neat that the guy who made Crackdown founded the company that would go on to make Grand Theft Auto.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
is it just me or are any of these games not appearing under enhanced? Hell, crackdown wasnt even in my list and i own it.

The my games and Apps categories are driven by changes to the Store. The store hasn't been updated since they announced these new titles, so they aren't showing up.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The my games and Apps categories are driven by changes to the Store. The store hasn't been updated since they announced these new titles, so they aren't showing up.

ah ok, man crackdown is so fun. totally forgot how fun it was. Spend the whole night just blowing shit up and getting orbs

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 2 with this sort of IQ, even with some of the graphical quirks you can run into, can looks surprisingly modern. These shots don't particularly show it off, but man they had some advanced lighting going on in this game.

f4a9d4e4-ba81-4b25-b51csc4.png

c37c4a38-f3b5-4db9-8fjysyg.png

Deleted member 6733

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It must be great for the devs who put so much work in to see their creations fully realised. I'd be well happy.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It must be great for the devs who put so much work in to see their creations fully realised. I'd be well happy.
Yeah, especially when the game is a console exclusive title that is limited by the hardware it's running on, they will have seen the game running on dev kits and on PCs, in art software etc and some of that art is lost by the time it hits these lower spec real world machines.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I asked this yesterday and no one responded. I couldn't get Forza Horizon to run in 4K. It wasn't showing up as a One X Enhanced game, there wasn't an update available and the game was freshly installed yesterday. I had my 360 Xbox One X enhancement set to "graphics" mode so it could run in 4K. When I run the game my tv info says the output signal is still set to 1080p.

Did anyone find a way to solve this issue or did my system just not pop the update yet?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this yesterday and no one responded. I couldn't get Forza Horizon to run in 4K. It wasn't showing up as a One X Enhanced game, there wasn't an update available and the game was freshly installed yesterday. I had my 360 Xbox One X enhancement set to "graphics" mode so it could run in 4K. When I run the game my tv info says the output signal is still set to 1080p.

Did anyone find a way to solve this issue or did my system just not pop the update yet?

Make sure the Xbox One X is set to output at 4K. It will always send a 4K signal regardless if the game is 4K or not if it's setup correctly.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Make sure the Xbox One X is set to output at 4K. It will always send a 4K signal regardless if the game is 4K or not if it's setup correctly.
I have it set up to allow 4K but I don't have 4K set as the default output because my tv upscales non 4K games better than the Xbox internal scaler (which makes it blurry to me). But this is not an issue because when I run Oblivion or Fallout 3 my tv says it's outputting in 4K like it's supposed to. It's just Forza Horizon that isn't working. It either didn't update or something went wrong with my install.

Shifty1897

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope Sony embraces BC with the next gen now that they're on X86 like Microsoft has. I will buy whichever next gen console comes out and says "Hey, all your games from last gen will just work on this thing, and they'll run with all those half step enhancements applied."

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I have it set up to allow 4K but I don't have 4K set as the default output because my tv upscales non 4K games better than the Xbox internal scaler (which makes it blurry to me). But this is not an issue because when I run Oblivion or Fallout 3 my tv says it's outputting in 4K like it's supposed to. It's just Forza Horizon that isn't working. It either didn't update or something went wrong with my install.

For some reason the latest 360 games don't behave the same as the native Xbox One titles.

Your setup would normally give you a 1080p dashboard and then an X compatible game that is above 1080p would switch to a 4K output.
The last few that were added aren't triggering that 4K switch, so the machine has to be set to 4K UHD to play in 4K.

Halo 3 works fine, which had an update yesterday too, so either there is a mistake OR the games only boot into 4K once the X1XE flag has been set by the store.

I suspect it is the latter.

Forza is version 1.0.1802.42112
Check that in the manage game section if you want to be sure you have the update, I suspect you are just seeing a supersampled image instead.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've updated nine x360 games

All are x enhanced but only 6 appears in my enhanced tab. I restarted many times over anyway to fix ?
Miss fable Witcher and crackdown. All the new one from yday

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've updated nine x360 games

All are x enhanced but only 6 appears in my enhanced tab. I restarted many times over anyway to fix ?
Miss fable Witcher and crackdown. All the new one from yday

The Microsoft store hasn't been updated with them as X enhanced, once that is done they will show in the correct category on your machine.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish that MS could find a way to sell FH again, even if you could find the disc, you will still miss the season pass

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think us #dayONE folks need some credit for sticking with MS otherwise who knows if Xbox would even exist now. Who was there #dayONE !!??
I still use my DayOne achievement as a background for my Xbox One X, it makes me feel like a giant dork, though...
21hz0yb.jpg

I wish that MS could find a way to sell FH again, even if you could find the disc, you will still miss the season pass
Yeah, I was afraid of that when they announced it was going "end of life" or whatever term they used so I bought every single piece of DLC that was available lol. I need to try out the first game again, even though I absolutely love 3, I think 1 is still my favorite in the series.