• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So even before I booted up spider-man one of the things that really stuck out at me are the accessibility features for the game. Everything from making subtitles easier to see to helping skip tough physical challenges like rapid tapping of buttons for QTE's Its also nice to see that it isn't buried in some hard to find sub-menu.

If there is one thing I wish more developers would take notice of its making sure their games are accessible for everyone. I'm glad Insomniac took the time and effort to allow for the experience to be so heavily customized to peoples needs.

DmeK-zgU0AA4HiG.jpg

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many reviewers are going to skip puzzles in order to get their review out sooner.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War has options like these too. I'm done with QTE and button tapping nonsense so I'll turn that on ASAP.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Platform-wars rhetoric.
Console gamers hate fiddling with options though

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is subtle background and large readable subtitles defaulted to off? These should really not be off, especially subtitle background or it's unreadable in many situations.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I remember Assassin's Creed: Origins had similar subtitles. Funnily enough, some people complained that they were too big and distracting compared to other games.

Celeste also had a fantastic range of accessibility options, as far as gameplay modification goes.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Those look like Sony first party settings to me. At least if I remember right there are similar things in Horizon Zero Dawn and God of War. Can you go virtually HUD-less in spiderman like the other games and then tap the touch pad to bring up the HUD temporarily? That's my favorite feature not having gigantic HUDs taking up screen space unless I want it on screen for a second or two.

Every game should have these features.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, first noticed it in Uncharted 4. I think it might be becoming the standard in Sony games, coz God of War had similar accessibility options as well.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
"But how do I know what the developer's ideal way to experience it?"

Nah, this sounds fine, as long as it's fun.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always very pleased when I see these options.
Seriously, small or badly contrasted fonts have been the most annoying thing of my gaming experience over the past decade.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel like Sony first party have been really good with this for a while now. I noticed these options in the Uncharted games and then The Last of Us. God of War and Horizon also had them and of course Spider-Man now.

I always turn on the "hold button for QTE".

Simone

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Talking about superheroes game, I'm just hating how small the subtitles are in Arkham Knight, with a 32" I just can't play if I'm not sitting right in front of the tv. This features might just convince me to buy Spiderman right away!

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
That's great yeah.
Insomniac is not leading anything though, as good as it is.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You can't do the most important thing for disabled gamers in this game: button remapping.

I appreciate the options. But no, they aren't doing anything industry leading here. Other games do this better.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This is great!

As someone who has trouble discerning colors, games need to tell you in text what color something is when making a character, picking a skin, etc.

I was going to ask if there are options for those who have some form of color blindness. A good friend of mine does and he often has problems with games that require colors to solve puzzles and the like.

OP
OP
Musubi

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't do the most important thing for disabled gamers in this game: button remapping.

I appreciate the options. But no, they aren't doing anything industry leading here. Other games do this better.

You can remap buttons on the system level on PS4.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Does it have color blind options? That's a common issue and games rarely address it.

I guess it might not be as important of it doesn't impact the user's ability to play the game effectively. In Cup Head, some people weren't able to differentiate the pink orbs.

Last edited:

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Most of these are good, but skipping puzzles is not really something I can agree with. Might as well just not even make puzzles at all if you are going to do something like this.

Auto QTEs I am iffy on too, but a good friend of mine who has delayed vision always has severe issues with those so even I can see why she would want to use it. More games should just follow Shenmue in this regard and either repeat them immediately or cause failure to just change the story a little bit.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I flipped on the bigger subtitles (I don't sit that close to my TV) and toggled from taps to holds because for some reason I've always struggled with those types of QTEs (seriously in the first God of War I could NEVER beat the stupid hydra due to that >_<)

I'm loving it :)

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
TBH I really liked GTA V's skip missions feature. My controller was a little busted when the game came out, and it's the only reason I was able to get past the yoga minigame.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
auto QTE + skip puzzle? 100% will turn them on next time I boot up the game, both suck so much.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
God of War has options like these too. I'm done with QTE and button tapping nonsense so I'll turn that on ASAP.
And Uncharted 4.

Hold down instead of tapping for button prompts.

Okay, I just looked at the pic in the OP. This might be the first time I've seen these options in a menu labeled accessibility.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff. I wish stuff like this was standard.

Auto-QTE and tap to hold are my standouts. For some reason I resent button mashing segments in video games.