AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
According to their Twitter:

View: https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/1737540875218026620

Wow. The response to this post has been incredible. And, just to be 100% clear, we will be sharing our plans in 2024. Early Access itself will need a little bit longer in the Fabricator.

god I can't wait for this game. I'm currently replaying the first one. I just love it.

Also reminder that the game is being made with Unreal Engine 5. It is going to look amazing.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to hearing more. I consider Subnautica, The Forest and Grounded the gold standard for these types of games, so it's great hearing there's a new Subnautica coming, while the next Forest is just around the corner.

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
Loved the first one but struggled to get into the second one. Curious to see what the third one will bring to the table

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica is still the best 'one of these' I've played, a lot of treepuncher games use procedural worlds but the exploration of Subnautica is what makes it special. Sure, maybe not endlessly replayable, but that's not what I'm looking for out of these anyways.

Hopefully they don't make a radical departure from that formula in the next one - adding multiplayer and procedural generation would probably widen its audience. But considering I've spent years trying to find a game 'like Subnautica' it would be disappointing if this sequel wasn't the thing I've been pining for.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to hearing more. I consider Subnautica, The Forest and Grounded the gold standard for these types of games, so it's great hearing there's a new Subnautica coming, while the next Forest is just around the corner.
I don't think I've heard of The Forest. What is it about?

Loved the first one but struggled to get into the second one. Curious to see what the third one will bring to the table
I liked Below Zero, but you can tell that it was produced as DLC. There's nothing really new other than the narrative and the environment, and it does some stuff not as well as the first game did. In general, I don't really mind that it's a lesser experience, the fatal issue for me though is that the game forces the player to spend so much time on land. I find it so annoying that it pretty much kills any chance that I replay it. It's a shame because other than that, I liked my time with the game. I'm also a sucker for winter/arctic environments. Hopefully the next game also has those!

Subnautica is still the best 'one of these' I've played, a lot of treepuncher games use procedural worlds but the exploration of Subnautica is what makes it special. Sure, maybe not endlessly replayable, but that's not what I'm looking for out of these anyways.

Hopefully they don't make a radical departure from that formula in the next one - adding multiplayer and procedural generation would probably widen its audience. But considering I've spent years trying to find a game 'like Subnautica' it would be disappointing if this sequel wasn't the thing I've been pining for.
god I really hope that the level design of the next one is not procedural.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've heard of The Forest. What is it about?

It's about being in a plane crash and becoming stranded in a heavily forest covered peninsula. Your son was in the plane with you and after waking up, you can't find him, which becomes the goal of the game. There's a quite popular sequel in Steam early access now:

View: https://youtu.be/IwvhH3islZw?si=kqOPXEHVL4ynw71n

I haven't played that, because I'm waiting for the full game. In the first game building a home isn't as important, as in Subnautica, though you can and you'll still have to craft a lot of equipment. It's got some remarkable environmental storytelling, where you know most of what's going on, by the time you get to the end, despite the game being very sparse with its cutscenes.

The biggest drawback is probably that it's got some cave systems that aren't differentiated enough and can be a little confusing, but it's still an excellent survival game.

Last edited:

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
First game is still legit one of the more tense and scary games I have ever played. Like it can be much scarier then many horror games imo.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's about being in a plane crash and becoming stranded in a heavily forest covered peninsula. Your son was in the plane with you and after waking up, you can't find him, which becomes the goal of the game. There's a quite popular sequel in Steam early access now:

View: https://youtu.be/IwvhH3islZw?si=kqOPXEHVL4ynw71n

I haven't played that, because I'm waiting for the full game. In the first game building a home isn't as important, as in Subnautica, though you can and you'll still have to craft a lot of equipment. It's got some remarkable environmental storytelling, where you know most of what's going on, by the time you get to the end, despite the game being very sparse with its cutscenes.

The biggest drawback is probably that it's got some cave systems that aren't differentiated enough and can be a little confusing, but it's still an excellent survival game.

oh yeah, I know this game. I somehow forgot its title lol.

How is the sequel by the way? I remember when it came out, reception was divisive because the game was missing some stuff, apparently. Has it improved since?

Droopy_McCool

Dec 13, 2023
I liked Below Zero, but you can tell that it was produced as DLC. There's nothing really new other than the narrative and the environment, and it does some stuff not as well as the first game did. In general, I don't really mind that it's a lesser experience, the fatal issue for me though is that the game forces the player to spend so much time on land. I find it so annoying that it pretty much kills any chance that I replay it. It's a shame because other than that, I liked my time with the game. I'm also a sucker for winter/arctic environments. Hopefully the next game also has those!

Yeah I think the main issue I had with below zero was that I played it straight after my 3rd playthrough of the first game and there wasn't any difference barring the narrative/environment so I felt a bit burnt out by it. I might try playing it again next year afresh as it's been a couple of years!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, I know this game. I somehow forgot its title lol.

How is the sequel by the way? I remember when it came out, reception was divisive because the game was missing some stuff, apparently. Has it improved since?

I haven't played the sequel, but it's in early access, so it'll obviously be missing some stuff. It's one of those I'm getting day one, in the same way I will with a new Subnautica.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I really need to play any of the subnauticas, they look like my jam.

The first Subnautica is probably still the best single player survival game and if you fall for it, look at Grounded and The Forest next. Don't start with Below Zero though. It's missing some of the things that made the first so good, but could still be worth looking into, if you want more after the first.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I really need to play any of the subnauticas, they look like my jam.
Absolutely play the first one, no question. Go in as blind as you can, resist the urge to look up information, read every entry in your log book, and use your information and wits to guide you. It's one of the absolute best games of its genre, and a prime example of intelligently guiding players without handholding.

(Below Zero's also good, but it's definitely a side-story kind of experience, with a smaller world, a voiced protagonist, and about 1/3 set on land, which are all generally regarded as missteps. It was originally conceived as DLC for the original game, and it never quite manages to shake that designation. Still very much worth playing, but for the upcoming sequel you'll probably be left hoping Unknown Worlds takes inspiration primarily from the original.)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I could never get into the first because there wasn't a master inventory you could check to keep track of all your items and how many of each thing you had. This made it impossible for me to remember what crafting materials I had at any given time.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I could never get into the first because there wasn't a master inventory you could check to keep track of all your items and how many of each thing you had. This made it impossible for me to remember what crafting materials I had at any given time.
At first organizing will be tough but later on you'll get access to lockers that you can label and such that make it easier but yeah there isn't a "master" inventory screen. That's part of the game though, how you survive and manage things on your own. The game also pushes you to establishing a base and really only taking what you need when you go venture out.

On my own first gameplay I stuffed everything in floating lockers scattered throughout my mess of a starting point. It finally clicked when I started creating my base and realized I could make multiple bases too.

Really hope you give this another shot because the game truly is something special.

I would love the next one to be Astronautica
Wouldn't that just be No Man's Sky?

Sangral