• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
k2Z8rFG.jpg

From their brefing. Will be via a website update.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they want to drop that bomb before Smash and everyting during E3 so we get used to the idea...

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Allows for a clear run into E3 with no time spent explaining pricing; content etc during the E3 Direct. Excellent stuff.

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
If 'a richness of online features' doesn't include cloud saves, i fear Nintendo HQ may be burned down.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's as early as next week

My lowest expectations:

Some form of cloud saves
Messaging friends via the OS
OS level voice chat

Oct 27, 2017
That's as early as next week

My lowest expectations:

Some form of cloud saves
Messaging friends via the OS
OS level voice chat

I mean, those are probably my low and high expectations and those are the crucial features really missing. Everything else is just added. I'm curious about the old game service that they've alluded to. I know at one point they implied their initial plans for them changed

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
They say it's good to announce the bad news first, taking them out of the way. And then bring all the goodness at the main event.

I'm mostly talking about the fee they are afraid people will complain about. But yea, good to hear we won't have to wait til E3.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Just hope they ditch that App thing

Isn't this unlikely? I'm hoping they do as well, at least as a primary means of online functionality. It's just a terrible idea, even on paper.

Back to my first sentence, the Switch wasn't designed to have an entire online feature set or am I wrong? It doesn't have a lot of RAM, but shit, the 360 made it work so I feel they could at least cook something up. Plus I'm not even sure it supports headsets, does it? I'm hoping that they scrap the app and that it's the reason why it took so damn long for some new info to come out.

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Wonder if they are gonna say if Smash will be launching with the online or if they are going to save Smash's release date for E3 reveal

Oct 27, 2017
Back to my first sentence, the Switch wasn't designed to have an entire online feature set or am I wrong? It doesn't have a lot of RAM, but shit, the 360 made it work so I feel they could at least cook something up. Plus I'm not even sure it supports headsets, does it? I'm hoping that they scrap the app and that it's the reason why it took so damn long for some new info to come out.
Games only use 3.2GB, leaving 800MB for the rest of the OS, which is more than the 360 had total

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They really haven't done much or added other games to the Switch Online app (thank goodness) so one would naturally think they will add the functionality in with the paid online service...but if it requires the app to function them that's just plain disappointing really.

I mean the app's sole purpose is to just house the Splatoon 2 app, which is decent at best.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
"The service will provide consumers with a richness of online features" Very well Nintendo, lets see your approach to online features. Looking forward to it

Oct 25, 2017
Been looking forward to details. Hope they announce the classic games service in greater detail. If it was planned for last year and the thing that got delayed was just the online features then the classic games should've been ready awhile ago so hopefully that launches well

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe we can have voice chat that doesn't involve the app? Yes, no, maybe so?

Also, a side from Smash, what games will they use to promote their online service?

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those are probably my low and high expectations and those are the crucial features really missing. Everything else is just added. I'm curious about the old game service that they've alluded to. I know at one point they implied their initial plans for them changed

Been looking forward to details. Hope they announce the classic games service in greater detail. If it was planned for last year and the thing that got delayed was just the online features then the classic games should've been ready awhile ago so hopefully that launches well

Yeah I do think we'll get that information too. I also think it'll be the actual VC replacement. Super Mario Kart online would be kinda cool for short bursts of time though hmm...

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm anxious to hear if my wife and I will each need active subscriptions in order to visit each other in animal crossing or trade Pokemon.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I bet they will also announce a online game along with it to show off some of its features. My guess is Animal Crossing.

Thecrunked

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, by the time September rolls around Homebrew with every feature you could ask for will have already been here for a while

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a Nintendo fan but knowing them I assume they're going to offer something different with their online service, I hope anyway. Interested to see what is compared to Sony and Microsoft's offerings.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I'm a crazy optimist; I believe that if Nintendo delayed their paid online service for a year, it has to be because they realize it needs top-tiered features to compete with Sony and Microsoft and draw in customers.

Or to riff on Miyamoto, "A delayed online service is eventually good, a bad online service is bad forever."