• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/j28s89/more_ps5_info_on_backcompat_forced/

Backwards Compatibility:

• "playing PS4 games on PS5, some functionalities available on PS4 may not be available. See www.playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility for more details." (dead link, currently)
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game"
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."
  • "PS5 boost mode enabled"
"So, not all PS4 games will be supported, and indeed, as suggested a few months back, you'll need to update the system OS to access newly compatible PS4 games. We already knew boost mode was coming, but interesting to see Sony is sticking with that naming convention"

(EDIT from OP: Also found this

"msgid_experience_unexpected_game_behavior":"Beim Spielen dieses PS4-Spiels auf einer PS5-Konsole kann unerwartetes Verhalten auftreten."

translates to:
Unexpected behavior may occur when playing this PS4 game on PS5 console)

-Forced vibration/adaptive triggers:

• "msgid_ps5_controller_trigger_effect": "Trigger effect required"
  • "msgid_ps5_controller_vibration": "Vibration function required
" Seems that developers are allowed to force haptic feedback/trigger control. Potential accessibility issue? "
-Console sharing

• "If the "Console Sharing and Offline Play" setting is enabled for your PS5, players aged 18+ who aren't PS Now subscribers will be able to play PS Now games from the game's shortcut icon (displayed on the PS5 home screen) as well as in the PS Now app."
"Ignoring the specific PS Now bit, this suggests that PS5 will bring forward PS4's "Primary" account model in some form, where a PSN account can be designated "primary" and other users can access it's purchases and subscription content from the same console.

Looks like "primary" is being renamed to "Main" PS5, as the Demon's Souls product page states: "You can download and play this content on the main PS5 console associated with your account (through the "Console Sharing and Offline Play" setting) and on any other PS5 consoles when you login with your same account." (https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/demons-souls/#sku)"

-Cross-Gen party chat:

• "Message and voice chat with friends across PS4, PS5 and PlayStation App."
"Unclear whether this is system-level or only certain games. I would assume system level."

-Cloud saves, remote game downloads (obvious, but confirmed):

• PlayStation Plus cloud saves can be transferred manually to PS Now, and vice versa, using the Saved Data Management functionality on PS5.
  • "msgid_download_ps5": "Download to PS5"

Last edited:

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
  • "PS5 boost mode enabled"

WRJGEt5.jpg

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Those are just the site tags.

That can be applied to any game
not really any extra detail tbh

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Y'all should mention that it's about PS4 backwards compatibility in the title next time. I almost had a heart attack.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
The "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game." message makes it sound like the approach Microsoft took with Xbox One BC and adding more games as the years go by. Wonder how many playable games will be at launch. Just hoping FOTNS: Lost Paradise works.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is tags that could be applied in case needed . So bunch of nothing .

Atleast we know ps5 has wishlist on it . For ps4 wihslist is only on website and not ps4.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game." message makes it sound like the approach Microsoft took with Xbox One BC and adding more games as the years go by. Wonder how many playable games will be at launch. Just hoping FOTNS: Lost Paradise works.
Nah, it's just to have something to show for the 1% that's not working at the moment.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I found this earlier but didn't bother making a post/thread about it. There's a few additional things that it revealed.

The PS5 will support wishlists on the console:

Your wishlist isn't available on this website. You can find it on a PS5

Parties can now include up to 100 people:

Screenshot_2020-09-29_at_21.05.59.png

You can now share video clips, albums, artists, playlists, tracks on the console. Also something called "Takedown"?

Screenshot_2020-09-29_at_20.55.57.png

You can now set a name and image for party groups:

Screenshot_2020-09-29_at_21.33.32.png

The store will show games that are included in the PS Plus Collection:

Screenshot_2020-09-29_at_20.48.18.png

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You have to have error messages prepared for all eventualities. This means that it doesn't tell us anything about how many PS4 games are potentially affected by it.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

"Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, '99 percent' can be played on the next console."

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already know that 99% of the games will work. That message is probably for the 1% games that don't work (maybe some games that need additional hardware?)

I like that they are talking about the haptics. That means some PS4 games will get support which is great.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Oh wow, that train of concern surrounding the PS5 keeps rolling...

"This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

Jimbo: 99% of all PS4 games run on the PS5
www.theverge.com

PS5 will be ā€˜99 percentā€™ backward compatible with PS4 games

PS4 games could give you something to play as the PS5 lineup fills out.

so much for "iĀ“ve sold my PS4 already!"...there will be some rude awakenings i can already see it

man, this rollout keeps getting worse by the day...

Nah, it's just to have something to show for the 1% that's not working at the moment.

That is a very positive thought, i appreciate it..

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
After Microsoft showed truly incredible BC I'm more interested to see how these games perform.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably older titles that won't work right away. Anything from this year or last year I suspect will work for sure.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Oh wow, that train of concern keeps rolling...

"This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

www.theverge.com

But this tag is for this 1%, what is your point?

Deleted member 24021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

www.theverge.com

so much for "iĀ“ve sold my PS4 already!"...there will be some rude awakenings i can already see it

That's meant for the 1% of games that don't work on PS5.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I really hope that the way family sharing currently works isn't changed. Currently you can share games with another account by making that account primary on your system. And this includes online games. Would suck if it now only works when offline.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

www.theverge.com

???

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

www.theverge.com

...wouldn't that just apply to the 1% that doesn't work?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020

www.theverge.com

I mean, you have to have some kind of message for the 1% that ends up not being playable. Can't just have the PS5 explode or some shit

OP
OP
DarkVaber32

DarkVaber32

Nov 15, 2018
As others already pointed out, i personally believe that almost all PS4 games will be playable on the PS5. Those error messages are most likely for the minority of games that won't work at launch.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018

www.theverge.com

lol. This forum is better than any standup act sometimes.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."

This makes it sound like they are in fact whitelisting games.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What if "Takedowns", are you make your own challenges for friends to compete in like speed runs!

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

www.theverge.com

That is a very positive thought, i appreciate it..

There are almost 3000 games on PS4. 1% of that would still be around 30 games, probably more than 1% of those at launch may have issues. Do you expect them to just not have an error message for the potential 30+ rare instances where a game isn't compatible at launch? They have to have something even if its a small number of games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is if 99% run with PS5 boost mode like on PS4 Pro.

Going to be pretty disappointed if it's less than that.

And I really want titles like Sekiro, Dark Souls 3, and FFXV to run at 60 fps.