• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Get ready to make "Friends" with HBO Max: That's the name of WarnerMedia's new direct-to-consumer streaming service, set to launch in the spring of 2020 with 10,000 hours of content, including all episodes of '90s hit "Friends."

However, WarnerMedia still hasn't announced pricing for the service, which will compete with Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus, among others.

HBO Max will combine content from HBO with a slate of originals and programming from Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, and Looney Tunes.

New deals with Warner Bros. Television and others for HBO Max announced today include:
• The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all 236 episodes of "Friends" — one of the biggest hits on television and in streaming
• The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all episodes of fan favorites "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and "Pretty Little Liars"
• The exclusive streaming home to a string of new Warner Bros.' produced dramas for The CW beginning with the fall 2019 season, including the highly-anticipated new DC Entertainment series "Batwoman," and "Katy Keene" (spinoff of "Riverdale")
• New exclusive movie production deals with Greg Berlanti, one of Hollywood's most prolific and successful producers, and Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award® and Emmy Award®-winning actress and producer; Berlanti will produce an initial four movies focused in the young adult space, while Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine will produce at least two films

opus

Oct 25, 2017
www.hbomax.com

Max | The One to Watch

Say hello to Max, the streaming platform that bundles all of HBO together with even more of your favorite movies and TV series, plus new Max Originals.

From the press release:

HBO Max brings together HBO, a Robust Slate of New Originals, and Programming from Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, Looney Tunes and More to offer Something for Everyone in the Home

WarnerMedia today unveiled HBO Max as the name of its new streaming service, which will offer an impressive direct-to-consumer experience for everyone ranging from families with young children to adults of all ages. Anchored with and inspired by the legacy of HBO's excellence and award-winning storytelling, the new service will be "Maximized" with an extensive collection of exclusive original programming (Max Originals) and the best-of-the-best from WarnerMedia's enormous portfolio of beloved brands and libraries.
New deals with Warner Bros. Television and others for HBO Max announced today include:
  • The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all 236 episodes of "Friends" — one of the biggest hits on television and in streaming
  • The exclusive streaming rights at launch to all episodes of fan favorites "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air" and "Pretty Little Liars"
  • The exclusive streaming home to a string of new Warner Bros.' produced dramas for The CW beginning with the fall 2019 season, including the highly-anticipated new DC Entertainment series "Batwoman," and "Katy Keene" (spinoff of "Riverdale")
  • New exclusive movie production deals with Greg Berlanti, one of Hollywood's most prolific and successful producers, and Reese Witherspoon, Academy Award® and Emmy Award®-winning actress and producer; Berlanti will produce an initial four movies focused in the young adult space, while Witherspoon's Hello Sunshine will produce at least two films

I'm not a big fan of the name, but the content is going to be pretty great, I think.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
So is DC Universe dead?
I think going with HBO as the name instead of Warner or Turner is a great idea- People have been used to paying for HBO as an add-on for decades, and they are used to paying at least $15 a month for it

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Need more details before passing judgement. Is this replacing HBO Now? Will the price be the same or will it increase?

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I fucking hate this division of content with all of these different streaming services. I'm basically just sticking with Netflix and I'll find ways to watch the occasional essential content like GoT.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
At least I can share logins with people rather than having to pay for a huge ass cable bill.

I split the bill on HBO and Netflix with multiple families, so I don't feel the burn as much. Plus being able to turn off and on services whenever I want makes all of this still better than cable.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Need more details before passing judgement. Is this replacing HBO Now? Will the price be the same or will it increase?
This is either going to fully replace HBO Now or it will be a second price tier of the service. It's most likely the latter, based on the name "Max"
If I had to guess, HBO Now will stay at $15 and this will be $18 or $20

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone need their own streaming service smh
It's simple economics? Why lose out on money from your own shows? Why share the profit with the a third-party when you don't have to?

On topic, the line-up of content providers sounds interesting. If they can get the entire back-catalog of shows from Adult Swim, TNT, Crunchyroll, TCM, etc. this could be an incredibly strong contender to Disney+/Hulu and Netflix.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Time to build a 4K Ryzen Plex NAS and grab a VPN.

They companies really want to push people back to ripping / piracy, don't they?

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
yeah, will just buy season passes on iTunes for stuff or wait for disc sets for the stuff i want. No way am I adding a Warner/HBO service, a Disney+ service, AppleTV+ to netflix. Even Prime is a bit of a waste for me and I'm thinking it's not worth it for Grand Tour and Mrs Maisel.
That and there's a fucking TV license in the UK if you want BBC iplayer.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I mean, I enjoyed the show back in the day, but how the hell is "Friends" supposed to be this huge selling point in 2019? I don't get it.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
i just need to know if dcu is going to get rolled into this. i like titans and doom patrol and would love to see it with an hbo type budget. hope its not cancelled.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
HBO MAX EX 2+ : Worldwide Edition
This is heading into service crash, too many fucking options and separated content.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
More and more do these streaming services feel like cable. At least we don't have ads (for now). I wonder what pricing is going to be HBO by itself is 15 bucks which is a lot for a streaming service. If it stays that price and they just roll it into a new subscription I'd be game for that. Only reason I have HBO is because my parents do at their house so I use their login. I wouldn't pay for it by itself.

The only weird thing is using the HBO branding for content like friends and PLL.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is going to have a hard time competing with things like this and Disney +. They've got a few big breakouts but they will no longer have access to the 'filler' stuff they've relied on previously. They simply haven't been around to have shows with massive episode counts and followings like The Office or Friends or Simpsons or Fresh Prince or whatever.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I enjoyed the show back in the day, but how the hell is "Friends" supposed to be this huge selling point in 2019? I don't get it.

Stuff like Friends, The Office, Parks and Rec, etc make up a tiny portion of Netflix's catalog, but make up a significant amount of the actual streaming activity on Netflix. Netflix will never admit that publicly, of course, but there's a reason they were so willing to shell out for Friends for a year.

Now, whether that activity will cross over to three or four different streaming services, that's another question.