• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Your error was thinking that i give a shit about these content providers, that picture is to be seen from the eye of the end user.
Splitting services is better for the end user too which means you'll have better content to pirate. Anyone thinking they could get everything under Netflix for a low price was living in a fantasy land. Plus this is what everyone demanded for years. It's funny that we get it and everyone still complains.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I pay for HBO go because of the quality of their shows. If they add two and a half men, then I'll subscribe.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Taking the piss now. On a side note, Fresh Prince was in there. Don't tell me they'll be taking Bel Air off Netflix?

Also, add up all these streaming costs and suddenly cable is seeming like a good deal again smh.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Between this and Steam/Epic, it seems like what people actually wanted was for one company to have a monopoly.
You say that as if it's strange for people wanting to have everything in one place, of course monopoly was good when the offer was good...at the same time it's normal it was never meant to last because either the monopoly continued and the prices would have skyrocketed or what is happening now would happen.

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just don't kill Doom Patrol, and I may actually pay for this. I think I preferred DC Universe to this (doubt this will have a big back-issue comic collection), but I'll take whatever keeps Doom Patrol on the air.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Splitting services is better for the end user too which means you'll have better content to pirate. Anyone thinking they could get everything under Netflix for a low price was living in a fantasy land. Plus this is what everyone demanded for years. It's funny that we get it and everyone still complains.
That only works if you are willing to pirate though, for the ones who stick to the law even with tenfold the content we have now it would have been better to have that "lesser everything" on Netflix.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Totally true. Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO Go, and Hulu already cost more than cable would for me. Every company is coming out with their own with Disney Plus, Comcast's offering, and now this.
You don't have to have all of those, and even if you want all of them, you don't need to have all of them at the same time. I get Netflix once every three months or so. I rarely have more than one video subscription active at a time, and certainly never more than two. Explain how the flexibility there is worse than cable.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it has ALL of DC's stuff and ALL of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim's stuff they maybe I'd bite.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Friends. Give me a place to watch all the episodes of the superior Living Single instead.

This sounds like a good addition if I want to be rid of cable next year. But I'd be spending more on all the streaming services I want than I would be combining internet and cable.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
That only works if you are willing to pirate though, for the ones who stick to the law even with tenfold the content we have now it would have been better to have that "lesser everything" on Netflix.
Now they can pick and choose what service they want to subscribe legally and then cancel to pick a new service to watch the content there. You're not obligated to subscribe to every service at the same time but you can do that too. It's what people begged for and now we have it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
The point is the prices of streaming are similar to cable, streaming isn't the super cheap alternative it used to be and it's becoming more and more like cable as companies spin off their own streaming services the prices climb higher and higher, and to get the live tv version it easily matches the higher tier cable packages.

Only if you need all the content. You want all the content? Then Cable might actually be the best way to go. People wanted a choice to be able to pick and choose what they wanted.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
As long as they don't mess with the free CW TV app, we should be good. If we need to pay for HBO Now for the final season of Arrow (and whatever else The CW has), then that's not okay. Also, I guess that means that I can cancel my Crunchyroll and HBO Now membership by then?

I am kind of disappointed that they're seriously going with the HBO name, since "HBO" already has a certain attachment to it. Although I guess we should've seen this coming ever since HBO acquired the first-to-air rights of Sesame Street. It's clear that WB wants to attract a very wide audience like Disney+ will. I still think they should've gone with a different name, like WarnerMedia Streaming or WBTV (that one hasn't been used in a long time).

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
HBO Max and Disney Plus.

Really creative names by both companies, lol.

HBO Max is going to have a lot of must see content on it though, as no other company can begin to compare with the breadth of content of WarnerMedia and Disney. Should do well against Disney Plus/Hulu.

Feb 1, 2018
Difference is, you had to pay for all the content, even if you didn't want all the content. Now you can pay for only what you want, and when you want. People acting like they have no choice in here.

The "content" is getting fragmented and passed around all the services randomly now. The Office, Friends, etc are all being moved around like a hot anti-consumer potato

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Someone should bundle these services for a lower price. With tiers for the more high in demand services.

Call it iCable.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this just HBO Go but with Warner Media content tied in for a potential $1-$2 more than what HBO Go is going for now? If that's the case I'm in. Idk why people are complaining.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They better give out more examples because I don't give a shit about anything announced so far.

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Now they can pick and choose what service they want to subscribe legally and then cancel to pick a new service to watch the content there. You're not obligated to subscribe to every service at the same time but you can do that too. It's what people begged for and now we have it.
If i'm subscribed to this HBO Max and watching something exclusive on it and then after finishing an episode i want to watch something exclusive on Prime Video it means that i have to spend more than when both things were under a single umbrella, this is far from ideal.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Hard to keep track of all these services. I hope I get this with my HBO add-on in DirecTV Now.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Splitting content means all content providers will put up as much as possible. Disney is launching Disney+ with thousands of episodes. You would only get a fraction of that if all Disney content stayed on Netflix.
Just sub to 1 a month and then change depending on what you want to see next.

This is actually heaven for customers. Or do you suggest we go back to rental stores?

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If i'm subscribed to this HBO Max and watching something exclusive on it and then after finishing an episode i want to watch something exclusive on Prime Video it means that i have to spend more than when both things were under a single umbrella, this is far from ideal.
Some of this exclusive stuff you will want to watch wouldn't even exist without the spending these companies are putting up to compete with other streaming services. Competition is good for the customer, full-stop.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
You have four choices.

1) Subscribe concurrently
2) Wait until the end of the month, cancel and subscribe to the new service
3) Buy the show digitally
4) Don't watch it

Who would have thought more content meant you paid more? Everyone begged to pay less for less content with a choice. Now we have choice.

Plus now the companies are competing by creating exclusive content to get you to subscribe.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
HBO Go
HBO Now
HBO Max

Horrible branding and product positioning. Confusing as hell for most consumers. I wouldn't expect anything less though from AT&T.

Also, "WarnerMedia" is the most corporate sounding name ever.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even keep Netflix for more than a month or two a year, going to need to do better than game of thrones reruns and teen Titans go.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it's sounding like:

Netflix
The Disney+ package that will include Hulu and ESPN
HBO Max
Amazon Prime

And that's it.

I'm very ok with paying for all of that.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You say that until it's Doom Patrol S2 brought to you by Scott Buck.

tumblr_pmzym6B38F1rztagvo1_500.gif

Deleted member 35204

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Splitting content means all content providers will put up as much as possible. Disney is launching Disney+ with thousands of episodes. You would only get a fraction of that if all Disney content stayed on Netflix.
Just sub to 1 a month and then change depending on what you want to see next.

This is actually heaven for customers. Or do you suggest we go back to rental stores?
Heaven for consumers was when you only had to pay that ~10 bucks a month to have almost the entirety of internet video catalog at your fingertips.
This is more like a heaven for content providers.
Some of this exclusive stuff you will want to watch wouldn't even exist without the spending these companies are putting up to compete with other streaming services. Competition is good for the customer, full-stop.
This is a non problem because by not existing you don't have the urge to see the content. And i'm not contesting that competition isn't good in general just that we just left a period were it was better than having competition.
You have four choices.

1) Subscribe concurrently
2) Wait until the end of the month, cancel and subscribe to the new service
3) Buy the show digitally
4) Don't watch it

Who would have thought more content meant you paid more? Everyone begged to pay less for less content with a choice. Now we have choice.

Plus now the companies are competing by creating exclusive content to get you to subscribe.
Your solutions are:

1)Spend more money
2)Wait up to a month to fill an evening's itch
3)Spend more money
4)Deal with it

All of which are worse than it was before.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Friends actors making good money every year with these streaming services getting digital rights. Must have been one of the most paying contracts in tv history ever.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Honestly its a really shitty situation to be in for netflix. Even though in the threads about this news people don't really put the onus on netflix, if we talk about netflix upping its charge or losing non-original content, people start piling the hate on. It's lose lose. You either spend a ton of money and pay out the ass for the crazy pricetags these companies want for these shows, which is ridiculous, or you don't, and people are salty that you don't have "any content" when what they mean is just blockbuster/top 10 popular stuff.

And even when they make tons of original content, you still have people who only want The Office or Friends, or Parks and Rec, or name any other major channel show. And now the other companies are doing what they were always gonna do and all start their own service, so it'll basically be like a channeled service again anyway. Soon we'll just have "compilers" that let you view streaming "channels" and we'll be full circle, with ads, high prices subsidizing content, etc.

Streaming is a mess and I honestly think consumers aren't helping.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This is my thoughts pretty much. What they seem to not understand is, if you've already committed to getting rid of cable, this sort of "handful of acclaimed shows + everything else" approach doesn't work.

I'll stick with Philo, Hulu/Netflix, and most likely Disney + for Marvel shit, but that's it. And honestly, Netflix is on the chopping block because I'm only interested in a handful of shows from them. I don't care about anything that's not relatively new anyway.

Piracy going to come back with a VENGEANCE. People i know that used to pirate everything can't be bothered with the hassle when they can just shell out a fee bucks for a streaming service or two. Break all these shows up and I'll guarantee it won't bother them anymore.

Gabe was right.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
What about the rest of the world?
I could be 90% sure that a new show that aired on Netflix US would also air on Netflix Germany.
Now with a dozen Streaming services and only a quarter releasing outside of the US, the wide assortment of cool shows we could watch is diminishing every year.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
Damn things are really splintering.

Currently sub to Netflix and Amazon Prime. Not sure what's gonna happen once Disney+ is out and whatnot...

Is there a list of the big streaming services somewhere? I'm starting to lose track.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a place out there that keeps track of shows and where you go to watch them on a streaming platform? I have pretty impulsive and random tastes so one week I may want to binge the entire first season of Digimon and then the next I might want to watch some Batman animated stuff and then the next month something else. I feel like there is a market out there for a tracker of all these shows and what streaming platform they are currently available on.

Deleted member 18502

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still enjoy saving more than $80 month compared to U-Verse. Stuff is easy to activate & cancel on-demand. I'll probably always have Hulu, Sling Blue, and Criterion.

For me, the rest is optional based on budget and content. I've learned to not have everything, and it's ok.