• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Netflix will be fine just because of inertia. All these different services mean that a lot of people are just gonna stick with Netflix.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I'm actually really looking forward for this, the rumor is it will be like 20.00$ a month and bundle all there different apps into one. I already pay for hbo/cinamax and dc universe and the cinamax app is not on very many devices.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Your solutions are:

1)Spend more money
2)Wait up to a month to fill an evening's itch
3)Spend more money
4)Deal with it

All of which are worse than it was before.

So you had super unrealistic expectations then? Are you young? Do you not remember how it used to be? Cable used to be $60 to $100 a month with very little choice in what you got with that cost. People begged and screamed for ala carte where you can pick which channels you wanted. Now we have that. This is what people begged for. We're getting ala carte now. This was merely the transition period and even ignoring the newcomers, you still had exclusive content on Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc. So you always had to pick and choose before too. Remember, Netflix streaming used to be bundled with disc rentals, then they splintered it out to $7 a month on it's own. You've had to constantly spend more money with Netflix alone.

If you really thought $12 a month was going to get you everything from now on coming down from monthly revenues of $60 to $100 which is where things started, then you were living in a fantasy land. It's amazing how many people are blind sided by this when it was obvious from day 1. Hell Netflix had been telling people this would happen for years now and people are still blind sided. Not only are people somehow blind sided by this, they're blind sided by something they begged for and wanted.

I right now have 3 years of Xbox Ultimate Game Pass that cost me $1. For me, I understand that $1 was the introductory transition phase and it sounds like to you, you'd be outraged because suddenly you have to spend more money as you expect it to be $1 forever. You were always going to spend more money even if you stuck with Netflix alone. At least you now have options which is better than it was before, not worse and we have a wealth of content that wouldn't have existed otherwise. Things like Titans, Doom Patrol, The Mandalorian, etc would not exist otherwise if there was no need to draw people to their services. Nor would all the exclusive Netflix content that gets praised if Netflix didn't feel the need to establish their own content to keep people from moving to other services that are now coming out. Are you really this blind sided by how things are turning out? Did you really have such an unrealistic expectation of how things would evolve?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there a place out there that keeps track of shows and where you go to watch them on a streaming platform? I have pretty impulsive and random tastes so one week I may want to binge the entire first season of Digimon and then the next I might want to watch some Batman animated stuff and then the next month something else. I feel like there is a market out there for a tracker of all these shows and what streaming platform they are currently available on.

I have an app called JustWatch (iOS) that tells you, and there is a website called Decider which does something similar.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm still mad that WB ended DramaFever instead of just folding it into a big subscription service like this. And from what I've read, it's not that DramaFever was doing poorly, just that they felt like it was too niche and was never going to become the next Hulu/Netflix.

Nov 27, 2017
California
If Netflix gets a refund on the $$$$$$$ they spent on friends then Netflix gets a W
What a terrible price to pay for a meh show

Streaming wars will be crazy to see

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Yeah I have no interest in Friends, but I'm in for DC/Cartoon Network/HBO content
Probably not gonna be subbed annually tho

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is becoming even worse than cable now.

It's crazy. I pay around $130 a month for internet + cable (Fios) and it's getting to the point where it would cost me more to cut the cord. I watch a lot of sports so that's biggest reason I never cut the cord but no point in doing it now, the value of cord cutting is going out the window come 2020. The media companies were always going to get your money, they just needed some time to get the infrastructure in place.

Jan 29, 2018
Totally true. Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO Go, and Hulu already cost more than cable would for me. Every company is coming out with their own with Disney Plus, Comcast's offering, and now this.

Don't have them all at the same time? It takes me roughly seven seconds to suspend my HBO subscription and reactivate Hulu.

Dec 22, 2017
Cable used to be $60 to $100 a month with very little choice in what you got

100% agree with you. Cable had decades of existing in a uncompetitive market, which allowed them to gouge people with their paywall tiers and equipment rentals, all the while offering increasingly homogenous channels filled to the brim with commercials. Good riddance.

A few streaming options competing against each other is a godsend for consumers. And for cheapskates like me, it's easy to keep one sub at a time and swap between them every few months.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Apple TV+ is gonna be dead in the water with all these big names launching soon

Your solutions are:

1)Spend more money
2)Wait up to a month to fill an evening's itch
3)Spend more money
4)Deal with it

All of which are worse than it was before.
You're nuts if you think this is worse than cable

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
With Parks, Office etc going off of Netflix, We will likely sign up a couple of months for Last Kingdom, Peaky Blinders and Stranger Things. We don't really use it right now outside of a few shows.

Netflix is our default so it never goes out of rotation. My wife is a Disney crazy so we'll get that. Anything else we rotate out as we need it.

Ironically though we mostly use it for shows that could probably be locked by other companies like Star Trek: TNG.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
Heaven for consumers was when you only had to pay that ~10 bucks a month to have almost the entirety of internet video catalog at your fingertips.

When exactly was this supposed streaming heaven? because I've had Netflix ever since they launched their streaming service, and they never had anywhere even close to the "entirety of video streaming" on their service.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
would love a proper hbo one in the uk, would pay the hell out of that. we're stuck with crappy now tv in 720p for HBO shows

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Will this have live/new episodes coming out of HBO? Because if so I'll drop my HBO subscription and go for this instead.

Otherwise, I don't see enough value to justify another thing taking away from Netflix.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
sounds like they should merge all of the HBO stuff into one, and then have "tiers" i guess. would make the content more accessible across the board which means more money for them

does HBO Max include stuff on Boomerang i wonder?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like they should merge all of the HBO stuff into one, and then have "tiers" i guess. would make the content more accessible across the board which means more money for them

does HBO Max include stuff on Boomerang i wonder?
Isn't that what it sounds like they're doing? HBO Now is just HBO and HBO Max is HBO Now plus more stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's crazy. I pay around $130 a month for internet + cable (Fios) and it's getting to the point where it would cost me more to cut the cord. I watch a lot of sports so that's biggest reason I never cut the cord but no point in doing it now, the value of cord cutting is going out the window come 2020. The media companies were always going to get your money, they just needed some time to get the infrastructure in place.

If you need to have all the streaming services, then cable is likely the best option for you.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Netflix is our default so it never goes out of rotation. My wife is a Disney crazy so we'll get that. Anything else we rotate out as we need it.

Ironically though we mostly use it for shows that could probably be locked by other companies like Star Trek: TNG.

But why is it your default? Ours was netflix, because my wife always watch certain shows like the office and parks and rec.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
But why is it your default? Ours was netflix, because my wife always watch certain shows like the office and parks and rec.

Mostly because it always had enough the stuff we watched on a regular basis to be our first choice if we were trying to find something new. So, breadth of choice and inertia is the best answer I guess.

If we're going to Hulu or Amazon it's because of something specific. I occasionally get Acorn TV for niche stuff but I'm there for the niche stuff. If I'm going to go hunting for something new it'll be Netflix.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Someone should make a service that bundles streaming services together

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
So you had super unrealistic expectations then? Are you young? Do you not remember how it used to be? Cable used to be $60 to $100 a month with very little choice in what you got with that cost. People begged and screamed for ala carte where you can pick which channels you wanted. Now we have that. This is what people begged for. We're getting ala carte now. This was merely the transition period and even ignoring the newcomers, you still had exclusive content on Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Now, etc. So you always had to pick and choose before too. Remember, Netflix streaming used to be bundled with disc rentals, then they splintered it out to $7 a month on it's own. You've had to constantly spend more money with Netflix alone.

If you really thought $12 a month was going to get you everything from now on coming down from monthly revenues of $60 to $100 which is where things started, then you were living in a fantasy land. It's amazing how many people are blind sided by this when it was obvious from day 1. Hell Netflix had been telling people this would happen for years now and people are still blind sided. Not only are people somehow blind sided by this, they're blind sided by something they begged for and wanted.

I right now have 3 years of Xbox Ultimate Game Pass that cost me $1. For me, I understand that $1 was the introductory transition phase and it sounds like to you, you'd be outraged because suddenly you have to spend more money as you expect it to be $1 forever. You were always going to spend more money even if you stuck with Netflix alone. At least you now have options which is better than it was before, not worse and we have a wealth of content that wouldn't have existed otherwise. Things like Titans, Doom Patrol, The Mandalorian, etc would not exist otherwise if there was no need to draw people to their services. Nor would all the exclusive Netflix content that gets praised if Netflix didn't feel the need to establish their own content to keep people from moving to other services that are now coming out. Are you really this blind sided by how things are turning out? Did you really have such an unrealistic expectation of how things would evolve?
Serious question, do you even read my posts? Depending on your answer i expect either a "oh sorry i thought i was talking to someone else" or another 3 paragraphs post on how outraged i am and how i have unrealistic expectations.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so over this. I'll keep Hulu and Netflix, and I'm not signing up for 35 other services because these networks want the ball in their court. I hope they flop big time.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, do you even read my posts? Depending on your answer i expect either a "oh sorry i thought i was talking to someone else" or another 3 paragraphs post on how outraged i am and how i have unrealistic expectations.
Yes I do and your only point is that it's worse than before and that isn't completely true when you look at the completed scope of how things evolved and what content is offered.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
These new services are looking good intially because of the popular IP's they have but they are going to find out they will have to jump in to that deep money pit that Netflix has been swimming in for the last couple years.

Most people will have Netflix as their primary because for better or worse, Netflix will have fresh content all the time. Like others have said, the field will be trimmed down drasitically. Netflix will have some of these popular shows back at that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You know, same. I don't find that all ridiculous, especially ad-free

I've seen polls where people would subscribe to about 3 services, before they want to stop. With how easy it is to pick up and drop services, I can see a rotation of about 4-5 services in those 3 services. I'm not sure if the Paramount/CBS or some of the ones without much content will last.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I don't mind a sub. As long as there is on commitment. I can sub for something I wanna watch then cancel it and move to the next.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Yes I do and your only point is that it's worse than before and that isn't completely true when you look at the completed scope of how things evolved and what content is offered.
Then would you kindly tell me why you spent three paragraph to try explaining to me something that i myself stated a page ago trying to frame me like an idiot?