• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I don't have time to watch re-runs anymore, and we no longer put on the TV with Friends on it to fall asleep to. So I guess this doesn't affect me. I'm not going to keep adding services for $10 a pop or it's going to cost more than Cable TV did.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
With Parks, Office etc going off of Netflix, We will likely sign up a couple of months for Last Kingdom, Peaky Blinders and Stranger Things. We don't really use it right now outside of a few shows.
I managed to get parks and the office on iTunes for cheap. Now I just need 30 rock to show up on iTunes cheap and I can get rid of Hulu and Netflix.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah I saw that coming. Att, Disney, Netflix, and CBS paramount own all the media, no way att wouldn't try to sell its massive catalogue and build up from hbo.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
With Parks, Office etc going off of Netflix, We will likely sign up a couple of months for Last Kingdom, Peaky Blinders and Stranger Things. We don't really use it right now outside of a few shows.

My current list of shows on Netflix that are still live:

MST3K
Stranger Things
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee - 7/19
Orange is the New Black - 7/26
Dear White People - 8/2
GLOW - 8/9
Mindhunter - August 2019
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - 8/30
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina
My Next Guest
Ozark
The Haunting of Hill House
Dead to Me
The Umbrella Society
Love Death and Robots
Big Mouth
Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Sex Education
Dark

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
We have a Netflix sub, a Chromecast for YouTube, and an antenna for HD OTA stations.

This won't change that. We might eventually, some day, drop Netflix, but if we do, it'll be to pick up a few.months of Hulu or something, watch what we want, then go back to Netflix. We have zero interest in paying more than $10-$15 a month total for streaming services.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
even with a strong library, pricing is likely to be an obstacle - HBO Now is already one of the priciest streaming services out there, and how much more than that will people be willing to pay?
I'm curious about this as well. A couple bucks more and I'm in. Right now we have Hulu with no ads, Netflix and HBO Now. Probably going to drop Netflix and pickup Disney +. If hbo max is prohibitively expensive we won't get it. But with these prices I'm damn near up to a cable package's price.

I think these companies REALLY need to think about pricing. Disney seems to be going with the old Disney channel pricing model and since it's ATT, I can totally see them thinking people will pay 30 bucks for this and they'll market it as savings by bundled other services together for the price. Att has ALWAYS been greedy.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I'd pay 20 for hbo max. HBO makes really good shows, and all that other content would make it worth keeping most of the year.

zou

Oct 29, 2017
For those that keep claiming Netflix used to be the singular destination with all the content, before it went to shit and streaming became worse than cable: I'd love to hear when exactly this was supposed to have been the case.

Netflix Streaming launched 2007 with a shit catalog and hardly anything available to watch on demand (1000 movies/shows). And at least the smaller/base plans only included a certain number of hours that subscribers could stream movies/shows. Hulu launched in 2008 and Amazon Unbox/Video added streaming for Prime members in 2011. So Netflix had Hulu as a competitor before they even introduced unlimited streaming on all their plans.

In reality, Netflix was never the single destination with all the content, with Hulu and Prime securing exclusives right from the beginning.

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
I could see myself just buying a boxset, ripping it, and serving it via Plex instead of subscribing to a service for (more or less) one or two TV shows, now that things are really splitting up.

Or maybe just cycle which services I subscribe to.... one month, maybe Netflix and Amazon, the next Amazon and Disney, something like that.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping they include this with my ATT plan or give some type of options to get it if it costs more than HBO Go. I currently get my HBO log in via ATT Wireless.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
For those that keep claiming Netflix used to be the singular destination with all the content, before it went to shit and streaming became worse than cable: I'd love to hear when exactly this was supposed to have been the case.

Netflix Streaming launched 2007 with a shit catalog and hardly anything available to watch on demand (1000 movies/shows). And at least the smaller/base plans only included a certain number of hours that subscribers could stream movies/shows. Hulu launched in 2008 and Amazon Unbox/Video added streaming for Prime members in 2011. So Netflix had Hulu as a competitor before they even introduced unlimited streaming on all their plans.

In reality, Netflix was never the single destination with all the content, with Hulu and Prime securing exclusives right from the beginning.

Hulu was shit for years, so was Amazon Prime

it was basically 2009 through 2017ish

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious that Friends and The Office got so popular on Netflix that entire services are being built with them as the main attraction. It'll be interesting to see if viewers actually follow or if their resurgence was more a product of Netflix's sheer ubiquity and people stay put & flock to new 'comfort food' shows.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is becoming even worse than cable now.

I think it's better because you can opt out of what you don't want at any time, then come back when they have something you do want to watch. Cable just saddles you with all kinds of stuff you know you'll never bother tuning in to.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Advocating Piracy
I'll just choose a service for the month I guess,
pair that with PlayOn to rip the movies/shows and then serve through Plex

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Streaming is becoming even worse than cable now.

giphy.gif

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Unless Cable has gotten substantially better I'll take the fragmentation and the ability to cancel at anytime over what Cable was when I had it---annoying cancellation, tons of commercials relative to content, poor DVR implementation.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
And what would that be again? Because it really looks that you are picking a fight against windmills...
You complained that content is being split across multiple services, which it already was before anyway, and in order to watch everything, you need to pay more money for more content and that it's worse than it was before. Your complaint is pretty clear and you had unrealistic expectations if you expected all content under a single provider with a low price.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Doubt half these services survive 5 years

I know Apple is Apple, but they have no library, It is mostly going to be new content I believe.

MST3K
Stranger Things
Dear White People - 8/2
GLOW - 8/9
Mindhunter - August 2019
My Next Guest
Ozark
Dead to Me
The Umbrella Society
Love Death and Robots
Big Mouth
Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Sex Education
Dark

I watch a few of those. I guess the good thing is they dump all the episodes at the same time. Could knock out ozark, glow, Dark Crystal etc in a couple of months.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One subscription service at a time.

Releasing multiple/sub-genre subscription services is just gonna fuck everyone over

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I should hunt deals for Parks, Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, and Fresh Prince. Already have Seinfeld. Between those 6 shows I feel like I am good on re-runs for 10 years lol. Maybe add Simpsons Seasons 1-10 to that list for 7 shows. I don't want to chase these shows around different services. Right now I have Netflix (brother pays), Prime (I pay), Hulu/Showtime ($5 student deal, wife pays), and HBO GO (through ATT Unlimited). For subscription services, I am essentially at $15 a month despite having access to multiple services. Still cheaper than cable. Only reason I still have something like YouTube TV is for NBA. Really wish there was an alternative for sports at this point. YouTube TV is better than cable, but still not ideal.

I'll probably add Disney+ to this. HBO Max looks good at first, but then I realize most of the appealing stuff seems like older content..so if ATT is willing to give it to me, I'll take it. Otherwise, I dunno.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Also, I've seen that many people that had cable, Also had netflix or hulu.

I'm saving about 180$ a month dropping cable and adding HULU. We already had netflix and amazon prime (I think many cable users also have Netflix/hulu for those exclusive content)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
To get live tv (w/ hulu or youtube, etc) you're looking at at least another 30+ bucks or so, which makes it even ore like cable tv prices

Why would you include cable in a comparison between cord cutting and cable? Of course if you're basically adding cable in, the price goes up.

And you're comparing apples to oranges. Right now, my Netflix is covered by my wife's family (5 profiles), I'm covering the Hulu (6 profiles), etc... Find me a cable package that lets 6 different people watch cable in 4 states for no additional cost.

I think a lot of folks don't remember how shit cable is. Add in the constant price increases (way more than Netflix has gone up over the years), and these streaming services would have to get a lot shittier for me to even consider cable.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017

MST3K
Stranger Things
Dear White People - 8/2
GLOW - 8/9
Mindhunter - August 2019
My Next Guest
Ozark
Dead to Me
The Umbrella Society
Love Death and Robots
Big Mouth
Bill Nye Saves the World
Black Mirror
Castlevania
Sex Education
Dark
Pssh. Rookie list ;-)

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why would you include cable in a comparison between cord cutting and cable? Of course if you're basically adding cable in, the price goes up.

And you're comparing apples to oranges. Right now, my Netflix is covered by my wife's family (5 profiles), I'm covering the Hulu (6 profiles), etc... Find me a cable package that lets 6 different people watch cable in 4 states for no additional cost.

I think a lot of folks don't remember how shit cable is. Add in the constant price increases (way more than Netflix has gone up over the years), and these streaming services would have to get a lot shittier for me to even consider cable.

You can get cable internet (150mbps speed) + tv packages that have over 200+ channels for like $100/mo right now.

No cable doesn't let you share your service between states like streaming does, however price wise, they are a lot closer to each other in terms of what you get for the price you pay.

People cut cable because they could stream things for far less money, but this gap has been getting smaller and smaller as many streaming services have raised their rates constantly (just like cable companies do) and more content providers are starting their own streaming service that you have to pay to get the content that used to be on those other streaming services.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
I already pay for HBO, so adding a few extra bucks for a bunch of more content sounds awesome to me. This service sounds great.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
No cable doesn't let you share your service between states like streaming does, however price wise, they are a lot closer to each other in terms of what you get for the price you pay.

No sharing means they aren't even close price-wise.

raised their rates constantly

Which service has raised its price by the same amount cable does? My grandma (who doesn't stream at all) just got a $15/month hike on cable. That's more than most of these services cost at all.

Zero chance the half-dozen or so of us sharing streaming accounts is paying anywhere close to what that many cable subs would cost.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Unlike cable I can subscribe and unsubscribe from these services whenever I want and I don't have to be subscribed to anything I don't want.

For the past few years I've only subscribed to HBO Now whenever Game of Thrones was on. While I was subscribed I would watch the back catalog of other HBO shows, when the GoT season was over I then unsubscribed. I don't need to be subscribed to ALL these new streaming services at the SAME time. I can rotate them throughout the year.

I also suspect in a few years some of the lesser streaming services will go back to selling their content to the big surviving streaming services.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No sharing means they aren't even close price-wise.

Which service has raised its price by the same amount cable does? My grandma (who doesn't stream at all) just got a $15/month hike on cable. That's more than most of these services cost at all.

Zero chance the half-dozen or so of us sharing streaming accounts is paying anywhere close to what that many cable subs would cost.

I'm comparing the base price of cable vs the base prices of these services together.

Not everyone shares, and regardless of sharing the actual price that is paid to the company is what I'm comparing.

Using multiple streaming services vs a cable package is price wise right in the same ballpark these days.