• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they announced territories yet? I'm guessing US and Canada only because of course it will be.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm assuming this will have little-to-no impact on Canada, since Bell still controls all of the HBO, Showtime, and Starz content and host it on their own streaming service. VRV was never available here either, so Crunchy and RT being included in the service shouldn't affect us either. Unlikely to launch in Canada, Crave will still exist with its tiered package options for HBO content, and animu streaming will still be segregated.

I'm just wondering if Friends will stay on Canadian Netflix or be moved over to Crave. Not that it matters to me, since I haven't really had to urge to watch Friends since about 2002.

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming on my 4k 65 inch oled? No thanks ! Quality will be bad on streaming and especially on higher resolution. I'll stick with my blu ray and uhd movies rip which has 10 times the bit rates and way better picture quality compare to streaming.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I am going back to DVDs and Blurays.

Fortunately I already have Friends on bluray and Fresh Prince on DVD, all ripped to my plex server.

It's a shame new programs will never come to disc though :(

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Can't wait for streaming to take over gaming guys!!!!!! Who knew corporate money grabbing shit heads would ruin streaming, said no one ever.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Warner could/should do
1. Batman or Superman show
2. Harry Potter show(spinoff about a new group of kids in school)
+ the eventual Game of Thrones prequel(S8 really hurt it but still might have interest)

they'd be competitive as hell with that as the push.

I would say this would be a perfect place for LotR but Amazon picked that up.

Velg

Jan 6, 2018
This is pretty cool and all but seriously...What is gaming gonna be like in 5 years...

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HBO Go, HBO Now, HBO Max.

HBO Go Now Max!

giphy.gif

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Streaming on my 4k 65 inch oled? No thanks ! Quality will be bad on streaming and especially on higher resolution. I'll stick with my blu ray and uhd movies rip which has 10 times the bit rates and way better picture quality compare to streaming.

On the contrary, 4K streaming looks very good. The lack of lossless audio aside, 4K streams are looking as good or better than HD Bluray especially with HDR. And of course the big thing people want is convenience and availability. 4k streaming is just fine for non-enthusiasts and nowhere near bad.

Oct 27, 2017
On the contrary, 4K streaming looks very good. The lack of lossless audio aside, 4K streams are looking as good or better than HD Bluray especially with HDR. And of course the big thing people want is convenience and availability. 4k streaming is just fine for non-enthusiasts and nowhere near bad.
Why would you spend thousands of dollars on a new TV with new technology that improves image quality significantly but then choose to view content on an inferior platform that limit image quality. This is akin to buying a new GPU that allows you to play a game at 120fps but you somehow like to play it at 60fps.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
So this is what FilmStruck died for...

Welp, for another buck or two more that HBO Now I guess I'm in, sigh.

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I guess it's time to go back to paying more money for commercial ridden low quality streams that don't let me chose when to watch stuff. Clearly on-demand services are no longer better because there are more options and just too damn much content, which is all definitely on tv and watchable at my pleasure I think I don't k ow I ha ent actually had cable in a decade what is nostalgia?

Everyone: *signs up for Netflix because it's a cheap service that provides access to everything in one place*

Media Companies: You know how everyone liked how cheap it was to access everything in one place? They're going to LOVE how expensive it'll be to access dozens of variously supported services! We'll be rich!
It's more like "everyone signs up for Netflix because it's a cheap service and drops their cable package", at which point the companies all have to get their own streaming service in order to retain revenue.

The early days of streaming were only possible because streaming was a tertiary market. Now that cable viewership is in freefall (as is the theatrical market for many smaller types of films, like comedies), the various media conglomerates have to have their own streaming services, or else they're doomed. These companies cannot survive on splitting a $12 monthly fee with Netflix.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand Friends' hype and cultural impact.

Me neither. I watched it when it was on, but it was never something that had longevity in my opinion, like Seinfeld, Cheers or Fraiser.
But then I met my wife who loves Friends, watches it on streaming and hates Seinfeld.

I think there are different people Friends people and Seinfeld people.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
so when do they phase out my hbo now forcing me to pay more for a service i don't want?

I'm guessing it depends on how many people sign up for HBO Max. If the rate of signups is low, you bet they'll try to force people out of one into another.

This big shift to streaming from everyone is just wild to me.

I know that we all – myself included – wish for a Spotify/Apple Music/Tidal scenario, one low cost, you get everything. But that's a long way away.

And at the price that movies and TVs cost to produce versus music, it's not gonna be $10/mo.

It's easy to forget that Netflix doesn't make money. They're looking to lose $2 BILLION this year. They're taking in outside funding and burning it. That's "doing well" in streaming. It's gonna be a weird few years for media companies.

Also: "Fuck that shit, I'm going to pirate it!" is a really shitty response, so if we can all grow up a bit and recognize that if we want nice things we need to buy them, that'd be cool too.

Some of these services suck (CBS All Access). Some are good. Pay for the good.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I will never understand Friends' hype and cultural impact.

It had six attractive leads, it was fairly broad humour wise which helped to translate to other countries, was technically well written in terms of setup and pacing as sitcoms go, coupled with it hitting at a time when cultural trends were changing in relation to Generation X

I understand why some don't like Friends. I don't understand why some don't understand it's popularity, and that's not meant personally

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It had six attractive leads

It had what now?

Why would you spend thousands of dollars on a new TV with new technology that improves image quality significantly but then choose to view content on an inferior platform that limit image quality. This is akin to buying a new GPU that allows you to play a game at 120fps but you somehow like to play it at 60fps.

*raises hand*

I have a 65" LG C8. I exclusively consume TV/movies via streaming, and the quality blows me away significantly enough that I don't feel the need to shell out for a BR player and a bunch of physical media when I can just...use my remote control from the couch.

Those people exist. You're not making the point you think you are.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
But wait...isn't that money they're paying themselves? Friends is a WB show...unless that's how much they're paying the cast and such? That's really unclear.

I'm guessing they weren't the sole rights holder. I notice studios will co produce shows with other studios.

For example, fresh prince of bel air rights were partly owned by NBC, but it's going to be on exclusively on hbomax

Oct 27, 2017
It had six attractive leads, it was fairly broad humour wise which helped to translate to other countries, was technically well written in terms of setup and pacing as sitcoms go, coupled with it hitting at a time when cultural trends were changing in relation to Generation X

I understand why some don't like Friends. I don't understand why some don't understand it's popularity, and that's not meant personally
Maybe I should rephrase what I said. I "understand" because of everything you just listed. I'll just never "get" it. Its like people who swear by Kombucha. Like I "understand" that taste buds are wired differently and such, but I will never "get" it.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I should rephrase what I said. I "understand" because of everything you just listed. I'll just never "get" it. Its like people who swear by Kombucha. Like I "understand" that taste buds are wired differently and such, but I will never "get" it.

I hear ya

I swear by Kombucha

Usually 'Fuck me, that's horrible' :)

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Hope this service becomes available here, and either supersede the HBO Go package that my cable company provides, or allow me to pay a small difference to switch; getting access to Crunchyroll, WM content and specially Turner/TCM (for the old movies) would be a great boon.

And if Hulu content also arrives (via Disney+), would likely cancel Netflix too. Other than Stranger Things, Black Mirror & Dark, there aren't that many series there, that I care about.

Still would drop both services, if I could get into a proper massive Mystery/Thriller/Horror library. Shudder does not work here.

Last edited:

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Woof, so that's all new CW things or does it include previous CW shows?
I love Supergirl and ended up getting the whole season cheap on amazon. Then they had this weird thing where new episodes weren't coming to Prime Video for awhile and figured some sort of deal was going on...i guess probably this thing.

I like streaming stuff on CW's app when I can't catch the live show but this kind of stinks. I don't want another streaming service.
I think going forward that's going to be a problem. Netflix worked because it made all these deals and got a lot of stuff on it Now everything is splintered again like cable TV.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
If Warner sticks with it and keeps adding their deep catalogue of content the diverse slate will make it a lot more interesting than Disney+ which it seems like they're doing

But still this idea of multiple major companies making their own service is so wack

Should literally just be Hulu and Netflix. It would justify a few more dollars a month if these other companies went all in on dumping their shit on these

And also the Canadian alternative is gonna be so gutted due to our cable companies relationship with HBO so no point in getting it here

But wait...isn't that money they're paying themselves? Friends is a WB show...unless that's how much they're paying the cast and such? That's really unclear.
Yes, cast and crew, etc. are taking a big chunk of that money.

This is a big issue for these services, e.g., the recent ruling around his fees for this have to be negotiated like they're arm's length purchases or else it's ripping off those owed royalties.

Oct 27, 2017
It had what now?

*raises hand*

I have a 65" LG C8. I exclusively consume TV/movies via streaming, and the quality blows me away significantly enough that I don't feel the need to shell out for a BR player and a bunch of physical media when I can just...use my remote control from the couch.

Those people exist. You're not making the point you think you are.
Yes I have and those people who value quality over quantity like myself also exist and if streaming wow you on a 4k oled I'll suggest you go see an optometrist.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If it's $20 a month for all of that, that'd be enticing. If it really has the whole crunchyroll catalog too, then this'll be great seeing that hbo now is $15 and crunchyroll $8.

Personally, I don't mind different streaming services if they all come with new content. I don't think of it as too many streaming services to sub to, as just having two of them gets you more than enough content, and it's not like anything is forcing you to sub to every one of them. It's nothing like a cable situation.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly this sounds pretty good, but I have a feeling it'll be pricey. Might give up Netflix soon tbh, haven't been interested in much on there recently.

Oct 27, 2017
Eh.

I see fine. I'm very happy streaming, thanks.
Might want to check for micro stutters and elevated black on your C8. I heard its pretty bad especially for motion. But then again since you can't even notice the difference between a low quality 4k stream at 15.4Mbps compared to a 4k 125Mbps on UHD bluray then I doubt you notice those motion issues.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Might want to check for micro stutters and elevated black on your C8. I heard its pretty bad especially for motion. But then again since you can't even notice the difference between a low quality 4k stream at 15.4Mbps compared to a 4k 125Mbps on UHD bluray then I doubt you notice those motion issues.

Who said I can't notice the difference? Did I say that, or did I say I'm happy where I'm at due to the convenience of streaming and you acted a whole jackass in response?

Grow up, my nigga.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
HBO was prohibitively difficult and expensive to get here in the Netherlands, so I welcome a streaming service I can get for one month to binge all their top series and then unsubscribe again, much like I plan on using Amazon Video once every two years. I guess getting a one time small fee is better for HBO than everyone outside of the US downloading the new Game of Thrones, but if any of these companies think they can compete with Netflix and Disney+ they're in for a rude awakening.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): antagonising other members
Who said I can't notice the difference? Did I say that, or did I say I'm happy where I'm at due to the convenience of streaming and you acted a whole jackass in response?

Grow up, my nigga.

I'm sorry but that's pretty lame. You can the tell the difference between the quality and yet you fork out thousand of dollars for an OLED TV which is known for picture quality and yet you just settled for the medium that is inferior in pictures quality and are happy with it. I think you should go and see a psychiatrist as well as an optometrist.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry but that's pretty lame. You can the tell the difference between the quality and yet you fork out thousand of dollars for an OLED TV which is known for picture quality and yet you just settled for the medium that is inferior in pictures quality and are happy with it. I think you should go and see a psychiatrist as well as an optometrist.

You can go as hard as you want but plenty of people with good eyes don't think uhd Blu-ray is necessarily worth the added cost and inconvenience as 4K streams are pretty great. This includes enthusiasts and people who review TVs for a living.

There's a reason why streaming has overtaken physical media as the way most people now consume their content. Even if they are onboard the uhd Bluray train they don't have your weird opinion of thinking that everything else looks like shit.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Convenience and Price trump Quality every time.

This is why MP3s beat CDs and streaming audio beat MP3s.

Same thing happening with video today.

Sure, physical media will remain (a'la the fetishistic object which is vinyl), but we're going to hit that tipping point where eventually, people won't care how much "better" something looks, more that they have to do less to use it.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I love Friends but it's typically something I watch if it's available. I'd never switch provider just to be able to watch it. I wonder what the percentage of my type is.