• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
http://www.segadriven.com/2018/08/n...r-of-tracks-new-character-new-track-and-more/

Gamescom is going on right now, and with it, we've got lots of new details on TSR:

-A brand new stage based off of Unleashed's Rooftop Run, called Market Street has been confirmed, screenshots below.

-There will be 21 tracks, based off of 7 locations. That's 4 more than All Stars Racing Transformed.

-At least one stage from Sonic 3 will be featured.

-Green Hill Zone is mentioned on a sign post.

-The Ice Mountain track is based off of Sonic Unleashed's Cool Edge, going by the music in the demo.

-A shady new Tanuki character, named Dodonpa, is apparently a core part of the plot and is the catalyst for the Grand Prix in the story mode.

-You can have a team of three of the same characters. That's right, three Big The Cats.

Also, some may have missed it, but single races with no teams are also available.

New screenshots:

DlNSCm7XcAAqe8a.jpg

DlNSFbtXgAAWKf6-1.jpg

DlNSBrSW0AAxtxt.jpg

Here's Dodonpa:
DlOGh0ZUcAEOU8p.jpg

Here's a partial translation of the Famitsu article from Nintendo Everything:

Experience the Adventure as a Team

"In "Team Adventure" Mode, you'll play through an original story centered around characters from the Sonic Universe. To progress through Team Adventure Mode, the player will have to clear various stages such as the last-man-standing "Survival Race," and the "Ring Challenge," in which players will race to collect rings. Progressing through the story will also unlock new playable characters and customizable parts for the player's vehicle!"

Producer's Comment: What Kind of Mode Is It?

"Team Adventure Mode is a simple story mode in which you progress the story through racing. The world map is separated into chapters, and by clearing Challenge Missions such as Survival Race, Ring Challenge, Grand Prix, and regular Team Races one by one, you can progress through the story. You can change the difficulty level, too, so it's perfectly suited for beginners to practice as well!"

Dodonpa Appears on the Scene!

Producer's Comment: Who is this Dodonpa?

"Dodonpa is a central character in the game's story; he's the mysterious sponsor behind the Grand Prix. At first glance, he appears to be a funny-looking, chubby tanuki riding around in what looks like the Egg Mobile! He sent letters inviting Sonic and the others to his Grand Prix hoping to have them on as racers, but his intentions are an absolute mystery. Dodonpa seems like nothing more than a gentle, chatty person – but could that be a façade masking his true personality… I hope you're looking forward to finding out!"

Last edited:

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I havent been following this too closely. Is the gameplay like All Stars Unleashed?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No transforming but otherwise very similar.

So no other characters as from Sonic, no other stages as from Sonic and now not even transforming?

lkrwtf.gif

I have no idea why anyone should buy this after playing the second Allstars, Jesus, what a gigantic step backwards. Still can't believe that this is happening and someone is financing this.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I want to buy this. I so want to do it, but the lack of other franchises is a deal breaker. I might wait for the inevitable Sonic & All Stars Racing version of this.

Apr 16, 2018
So no other characters as from Sonic, no other stages as from Sonic and now not even transforming?

lkrwtf.gif

I have no idea why anyone should buy this after playing the second Allstars, Jesus, what a gigantic step backwards. Still can't believe that this is happening and someone is financing this.

What you mean?
More Sonic and less SEGA is what I wanted.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Wow only 7 different themes for stages. What a set back from every stage being unique in Transformed.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I played this at E3 as a big fan of Transformed, and it was awful. The demo I tried (I think on PC) had some horrendous framerate issues, the controls felt super off, and the tracks were considerably more boring compared to those in SASRT. I don't know who they made this for tbh.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
21 tracks is an okay number, but those themes better be really varied in the the subset of 7 and it does come down to how long the tracks are as well (Sonic Racing Transformed sometimes had courses that felt like 3 different tracks entirely due to how the track transformed during the race)

Dodonpa looks suspiciously similar to Eggman in design with the car and the moustache... hmm...

Again though, show some gameplay on the A and S speed levels. C is slow and uninteresting, show the high speed races!

Oct 25, 2017
Liking the emphasis on plot, should be a great single player campaign. I'm also sure many are relieved to hear of single-racer mode. Hopefully this is available online too. Hopefully the framerate and overall visuals get a boost before launch, everything they've shown so far looks like a Switch port.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Ice Mountain track is based off of Sonic Unleashed's Cool Edge, going by the music in the demo.

Sweet, I love that stage.

-You can have a team of three of the same characters. That's right, three Big The Cats.

Sweet, I can have three Sonic.

Also, some may have missed it, but single races with no teams are also available.

Sweeet.

I hope there's some Shenmue content like Stages or Characters. I loved the other two games, very addictive.

It's a Sonic only game.

lkrwtf.gif

Because Sonic is more popular than any of Sega's other IP and this racing game is being commissioned by Sonic Team as a Sonic solo racer than an Sega racer?

Dec 23, 2017
I played this at E3 as a big fan of Transformed, and it was awful. The demo I tried (I think on PC) had some horrendous framerate issues, the controls felt super off, and the tracks were considerably more boring compared to those in SASRT. I don't know who they made this for tbh.
Yep. Think I'm pretty good with waiting and letting MK8 be my fix right now until 9.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet, I love that stage.

Sweet, I can have three Sonic.

Sweeet.

It's a Sonic only game.

Because Sonic is more popular than any of Sega's other IP and this racing game is being commissioned by Sonic Team as a Sonic solo racer than an Sega racer?

Still feels like going backwards. Be like if then next Smash game was a Mario character fighter only.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi

Yikes .. Debating if I should keep my preorder or not. And if it had frame rate issues on PC then what about consoles I presume 30fps? If it is no buy Kart racer in 30fps terrible

And yeah just seeing gameplay footage the tracks and everything just seem so boring compared to previous Sonic Racing games and Mario Kart games for example ..

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
Man shame we keep seeing more and more unleashed stages. Not that they are bad but feels like they were chosen because they could repurpose assets easily. I bet we dont get anything from mania like Press garden zone.

Oct 28, 2017
Still feels like going backwards. Be like if then next Smash game was a Mario character fighter only.
The last 2 games basically are the Smash of Sega. Seeing what franchises got representation from tracks to characters was super exciting and a large part of the hype. Without it everything here just feels....empty.

But I'd argue they're not even getting the Sonic part right this time. Only 7 unique stage themes are you kidding me? And nothing they've shown so fsr screams love of the source material like the tracks from the last 2 games did. Never mind it not being a love letter to Sega. It doesn't even feel like a love letter to Sonic.

I do expect the game to be good though.

Meowmixez

ESS ESS DEE
Oct 27, 2017
Dodonpa looks like a instant meme. Great looking character! I hope to see him make an appearance outside of this game.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
What you mean?
More Sonic and less SEGA is what I wanted.

Damn...
There's so much great stuff to draw from. It was so cool to see tracks based on Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, etc.
The fact that this is limiting itself to a single franchise and with only 7 locations to boot makes it much less appealing to me. And green hill zone AGAIN? They can't be serious.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I will probably never play this game, but Dodonpa's design is fucking excellent.

Apr 16, 2018
Damn...
There's so much great stuff to draw from. It was so cool to see tracks based on Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, etc.
The fact that this is limiting itself to a single franchise and with only 7 locations to boot makes it much less appealing to me. And green hill zone AGAIN? They can't be serious.

They could still do that, but it shouldn't be a Sonic game featuring Sega characters imo.

It should just be a full on All-Star game from jump.

This reminds me of Sonic Heroes, but with cars.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Still not convinced on this as someone who liked Sonic All Star Racing and LOVED Transformed. 21 tracks isn't even more than Transformed had, it's the same or one more depending on how you count the Outrun track (which honestly I can't remember if I've even played it on Wii U or PC). And just based on 7 locations? Which seems to imply there are three tracks per tileset or something? Which is a huge step down compared to Transformed and it's creative and inventive stages each unique and from a variety of Sega franchises.

OP
OP
Zippo

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
21 tracks isn't even more than Transformed had, it's the same or one more depending on how you count the Outrun track (which honestly I can't remember if I've even played it on Wii U or PC). And just based on 7 locations? Which seems to imply there are three tracks per tileset or something? Which is a huge step down compared to Transformed and it's creative and inventive stages each unique and from a variety of Sega franchises.

Yes it is, 17 of the tracks in ASRT are new, 4 of them are from the first ASR. All of the tracks in this game are new.

Verdanth

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Very disappointed with the lack of transformations.

They killed the best kart-racing game from last gen for more Sonic? Buh.

FirmTemptingCondor-small.gif

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
No transformation no buy. To me that was the best part of sonic racing.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Still not really feeling it. Hopefully the Sega arcade racer feel is intact.