• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Could have been 260.

FKh5rl1.gif

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Like that one person in India I believe who thought a bear selfie was a good idea.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I could say something mean here...but I won't. RIP photo fiends.

ezrarh

Oct 27, 2017
That's not that bad considering the activity is done by practically half the world's population.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
All things considered, that's pretty low imo.

I'm sure the number of people who have died from just blatantly zoning out on their phone and walking headfirst into traffic or a dangerous situation is considerably higher.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
Seems very low, but I would assume that is due to the fact you stand still and take a selfie in generally secure locations. Someone generally won't stop in the middle of the street to take a selfie, but they made wander into the middle of a street while doing something on their phone.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it doesn't seem like that many really.... you could probably pick literally any activity and find that many people who have died doing it in a 7 year period of time.

Toxicgonzo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
This ought to lead to some interesting statistics like -

Selfies kill more people every year than shark attacks

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I believe it. Machu Picchu has probably 500 people touring during the day, half of them are taking selfies. There are multiple 500+ foot cliffs without much railing.

Then there's huayna Picchu which is stupid dangerous. Tons of people have fallen and died.

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Seems very low, but I would assume that is due to the fact you stand still and take a selfie in generally secure locations. Someone generally won't stop in the middle of the street to take a selfie, but they made wander into the middle of a street while doing something on their phone.
From what I've been seeing year round, it's less of accidents like that and more of people trying to get rrally extreme or stupid selfies. Like the bear guy I mentioned from India.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw0jGDcdZF4UIO_FbzykVZfo&ampcf=1

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Im surprised India doesn't account for 200 of the 259. I swear they go ham and do the craziest selfies. Still Being a 150+ contributer is nothing to sneeze at.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that happened.

See below.
From what I've been seeing year round, it's less of accidents like that and more of people trying to get rrally extreme or stupid selfies. Like the bear guy I mentioned from India.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/man-bear-selfie-video-mauled-death-selfies-india-odisha-asia-a8335806.html?amp&ved=2ahUKEwjRps_mmevdAhXCdN8KHXp-A-AQFjAUegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0jGDcdZF4UIO_FbzykVZfo&ampcf=1

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
When I was at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago I witnessed someone using a selfiestick to take a selfie at the edge of a steep cliff. A little girl next to me pointed and told her mom: "Look mom, that's where people die"

That kid is smarter than the people taking those pictures.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me that a fairly recent episode of Detective Conan, a murder involves a selfie-stick. Kinda one of those weird moments where you went from a portable Bento Phone Fax Machine, to portable phone earrings, to cell phones, to smart phones, and then selfie sticks... I'm almost morbidly curious where technology will go from here and what this show will try to cover next.

Anyways, on topic, I'm not totally shocked there's been a number of reported deaths because of selfies. Heck, honestly, I'd be curious to see what the number of related deaths to people being on their phone, in general, are.