• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
They got the popularity of each game being better until they had a game of the year, then it become even more popular with the casual audience thanks to the show, more people will start reading the books, and I really hope their next game makes Bethesda rpg numbers so they can dethrone that mediocirty RPG studio. CDPR deserves to be the best.
I also hope Sapkowski and CDPR can finally make peace and work with each other, only good things can come from a healthy partenrship between them.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Even though I didn't like the show that much, I'm really happy to hear these news. From such a small project like the first game to this. The next Witcher game is gonna be such a massive event.
I'm also happy for Henry Cavil, you can tell he really loves the character he's playing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Probaby because it's the best video game to tv adaptation ever. If I wasn't replaying Witcher right now I would be rewatching the series again.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had been trying to get my brother to play for the longest time. He got it on Xbox but never played.

He loves the show and just bought it on PC and is excited to max out and play it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Probaby because it's the best video game to tv adaptation ever. If I wasn't replaying Witcher right now I would be rewatching the series again.
Well, you would be wrong becuase what you watched was a book to tv adaptation. The games are unofficial sequel to the books, the netflix show is a retelling of the books.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
So I played and beat Witcher 3. Loved it.

I want to play Witcher 2 (and even 1 if possible). What's my best option where my consoles are only PS4, XB1, and Mac?

EDIT - I see it's XB1 enhanced. Looks like that's my option.

RNG

Oct 25, 2017
Bought the expansion pass and already beat the main game 4 years ago. Time to dive back in and continue where I left off.

EDIT: I can also play with Hairworks on now, yay I guess. lol

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Greatest RPG and greatest open world game ever made. Greatest cast of characters of any game ever. 2nd best game of the decade after The Last of Us IMO. Glad to see even more people getting to experience it.

TV show was great but it just made me miss the universe, Cyberpunk looks hype and I'm excited to see CDPR's take on my favorite genre, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want some more Witcher afterwards.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Bought the expansion pass and already beat the main game 4 years ago. Time to dive back in and continue where I left off.

EDIT: I can also play with Hairworks on now, yay I guess. lol
Hairworks is the best because the beard is so much better with Hairworks on. Even though it kills my frame rate in conversations, I can't play with it off.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Is this suppose to undermine their ability as a developer?
No. They have only made games based on an existing universe with deep lore and detailed characters.

Cyberpunk will be their first game where they have to invent for themselves (albeit based on the Cyberpunk p&p rpg) a whole new cast of characters and how they intreract and behave.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is not the same as a Skyrim or a GTA, this is a hyper-popular nerd game and the mainstream is all over it.
Don't really agree. Witcher 3 removed a lot of the hard edges from the franchise, this agruably already began with Witcher 2. If you wanna see a real nerdy Witcher game, look at the first one. Just figuring out the UI alone required you to read up the manual. To become actually powerful, you needed to figure out how alchemy works, and that required you to stock up on potions every time you wanted to fight something, and then get the same ingredients again and again, make sure to brew them before you needed them, and so on.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Very impressive. The generous discount has also helped massively, it's cheaper than I ever remember it being.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Some day I'll play through the DLC's.

Also, some people are going back further and Witcher 1 and 2 also got some new traffic happening in there. I imagine some people will bounce off from 1 pretty easily, but it's interesting all the same.
W1 had its new all-time peak at 12,531 12 hours ago. That's nearly as high as W2 all time peak which was 5 years ago now.

MdBW5tS.png

Last edited:

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Well many, many people from Central and Eastern Europe bought the game on GoG at release because there the game could be in some cases be cheaper up to 20€ + many people bought the physical version because of all the goodies
Now even more people are buying games digitally and the price of the game in sale is the same as on GoG

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Sapkowski is finally happy. He benefits because the TV show has a deal with him directly, based on the books and not the game. He also has a new, better deal with CDPR too. Netflix benefit because it's a pretty good show with a large existing audience. And CDPR benefit because there's hype around the IP and people are going back and buying their 4 year old game.

It's a good game, a good TV show and The Witcher has never been so popular. Literally everyone wins in this arrangement.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
That's insane. Probably it's both the new players,plus the old that jumped back in for nostalgia. Still,great to see that the Witcher is getting even more known and so is CD Project

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked Amazon.com and all three console SKUs (PS4, Switch and Xbox One) are out of stock. What a crazy story this is haha.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
Some day I'll play through the DLC's.

Also, some people are going back further and Witcher 1 and 2 also got some new traffic happening in there. I imagine some people will bounce off from 1 pretty easily, but it's interesting all the same.
W1 had its new all-time peak at 12,531 12 hours ago. That's nearly as high as W2 all time peak which was 5 years ago now.

MdBW5tS.png

I'm one of those people playing W1 for the first time.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Amazing to see. I think it's only going to get more popular too. I've no doubt season 2 will be much improved and I expect The Witcher 4 will be announced, maybe soon before or after to build up the hype.
Also, if you feel like adding to the player count but don't want to fork over the cash, I'd keep an eye on Giftbot's thread if I were you. Just sayin'.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
No. They have only made games based on an existing universe with deep lore and detailed characters.

Cyberpunk will be their first game where they have to invent for themselves (albeit based on the Cyberpunk p&p rpg) a whole new cast of characters and how they intreract and behave.
Bloody Baron story and characters involved was completely made for the game. That's just one example. The games are set years after the events of the book. Same lore and characters in the hands of another developer would not give you the same result.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I would love to see sales from before the show aired vs after + steam winter sale

It probably got 3 or 4x more sales than usual

I mean $10 for an arguably 150 - 200 hour game is insane value

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
This is well deserved. It's an amazing game. I wonder how much of those are new sales. The tv show is quite good (the game is better though) and its basically free advertising.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
For a lot of folks playing for the first time they probaby only seen Ciri as a little girl. It's some looooong quest chains to see her as a adult.
It doesn't take that long to see Ciri as an adult.

Once you leave White Orchard and go to Velen you play through a flashback as adult Ciri after talking to the bloody baron for the first time.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Bloody Baron story and characters involved was completely made for the game. That's just one example. The games are set years after the events of the book. Same lore and characters in the hands of another developer would not give you the same result.
So? How is any of this supposed to adress the point I made? It took CDPR 3 games to get The Witcher great and that was with tons of lore/source material to guide them. it remains to be seen if Cyberpunk will follow after the third game or one of the previous 2.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
So? How is any of this supposed to adress the point I made? It took CDPR 3 games to get The Witcher great and that was with tons of lore/source material to guide them. it remains to be seen if Cyberpunk will follow after the third game or one of the previous 2.

The Witcher 2 was also highly critically acclaimed, and the first is generally considered a flawed gem. This narrative of downplaying CDPR is bizarre. Yes, there's a lot of source lore to draw from, that doesn't mean it's trivial to make a good adaptation. See the original Polish movie and TV show adaptations of the novels.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's a monster of a game.

Someone call Geralt, he needs to slay it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
They grew as a studio with each game. Witcher 1 was an indie game.
Every developer draws from literature to "guide" them. Eg. Sony Santa Monica didn't carve out greek and norse mythology in their studios. Last of Us wouldnt exist if it were not for Children of Men or The Road. Uncharted wouldnt be what it is without Indiana Jones. Your point holds no real significance. There is nothing that remains to be seen.