• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure these job postings were overlooked when Monolith Soft updated their site a while ago. There are some interesting tidbits about the project that I personally did not know before. That being said, I don't speak or know Japanese, so I had no choice but to use... *gulps* Google Translate. I think it does, at best, a decent job of getting the general ideas across. If someone who's more knowledgable of the Japanese language can offer some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

With that said, let's get to the fun part!

Note: This list is not exhaustive. It doesn't cover every job postings on the Monolith Soft website, but I've picked out some of the more interesting job posts.

http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/mid-career/

MANAGEMENT/SUPPORT
Manager

Duties: Progress and management of game production

System Administrator
Duties: Maintenance, management, and introduction of in-house systems such as server troubleshooting, introduction of new servers, PC trouble correspondence, equipment management, order management, etc.

Web Designer
Duties: Perform site creation in general and update work such as updating the company site and creating pages for PR of each titles (planning, composition, designing to coding)

Business Staff
Duties: General support, accounting, etc.

PROGRAMMER
Network Programmer

Duties: Client-side implementation, adjustment with the game side, formulation of communication with host and exchanging by P2P communication

Character Control Programmer (Action Part)
Duties: Implementation with an emphasis on response. Adjustments with planners and designers. Implementation of NPCs, enemy AI behavior, ???implementation of the mechanism on the map???
Remarks: Those who can pursue fun times in the game, knowledge of Maya (3D computer modeling and animation software). They will give preferential treatments to people who are familiar with physical behaviors as well as those who are experienced in developing action games.

UI Programmer
Duties: Implementation that emphasizes operation feeling and user experience, and adjustment with planner and designer for that
Remarks: They will give referential treatment to those who are experienced with localizations and cultural know-how.

System/Framework Programmer
Duties: Hardware, platform SDK abstraction
Creation of drawing engine, effect engine, etc.
Middleware evaluation and incorporation
Remarks: They will give preferential treatment to people with optimization know-how in multicore and knowledge of shaders.

Tools/Environment Maintenance Programmer
Duties: Support creation of useful tools for development
Data flow optimization
Building environment for automatic testing and debugging information collection.
Assistance for analysis of collected data

Technical Director
Duties: Grasp the progress of the entire programmer of the team
Directionality of implementation contents and determination of priority
Adjustment work between sections

PLANNER
Battle Planner

Duties:
· Preparation of proposal and specification sheet
· Planning, design and construction of battle system
· Planning, design and construction of character growth system
Under the above specification, AI setting of character and enemy
Qualification requirements: Those who can understand and understand specifications and progress of other sections, and can plan, design and build battle contents

Map Planner (Level Designer)
Duties:
· Preparation of proposal and specification sheet
· Design of game direction, world view, field map according to contents, dungeon map

UI/UX Planner
Duties: Preparation of proposal and specification sheet
Visually and efficient transition design of UI using Flash etc.
Creating a purchase order to a designer based on specifications

Scenario Planner
Duties: View of the world, set characters and write scenarios
Writing literary settings such as culture, language and industry in the game world
Remarks: Those familiar with movies and dramas, able to write concise and visual sentences
Those with extensive knowledge not bound by genre
We welcome those who can visualize the scenario in the head thinking about the scenario.

Event Planner
Duties: Preparation of proposal and specification sheet
Design of resident in town and design of quest according to scenario contents
Implementation of the quest designed above

Planner (Action part)
Duties: Creating specifications for characters and actions
Battle, planning rules, designing, building
Qualification requirements
Experience developing an action game
Remarks: Those who have plenty of online game knowledge
Medieval and fantasy knowledgeable people
Those who have abundant knowledge of foreign trends, popular culture and entertainment

DESIGNERS
Main Character Designer

Duties: Game character design
Art Direction
Qualification requirements: Person who is passionate about character design and game production
Those who can produce attractive characters that will be the face of the work, taking into account the planning intention of the game
Those who can give art directions of the whole game while centering on character design

Character Modeler
Duties: Game character modeling work
(Characters, Mecha, Creatures, Accessories, etc.)

Map Modeler
Duties: Making map data of game (display model, collision model)
Asset placement work in house tools

In-game Animator
Duties: Game animation data production
Creating animation transitions using in-house tools

Game Effect Designer
Duties: In-game effects creation
Qualification requirements: Gaming effect creation experience
CG movie production experience
Those who are interested in VFX such as movies and have a deep knowledge

Character Designer
Duties: Setting picture creation work for making game character data
(Character, costume, creature, mecha, weapon, accessory etc)

Concept Art Designer
Duties: Concept art in building map data, setting picture of building etc etc, creation work
Qualification requirements: Those who can create conceptual art by imagining the view of the world of the game
Who can draw setting pictures necessary for raising buildings etc. to game data

Event Animator
Duties: Camera layout of game event scenes and character animation preparation work

Event Production Staff
Duties:
· Direction of the whole game event
· Contents supervision, voice supervision, sound supervision, supervision of promotion picture
Supervision of connection with playable
· Event section creation progress management work
· Schedule management, in-game flag management, etc.
Qualification requirements:
People who passionate about video production of games
Direction of video, people with experience of drawing storyboards
Experience in using video editing tool
Those familiar with the production of movies and animation

UI/UX Designer
Duties: Game software UI, UX, menu design & design work

Event Effect Designer
Duties: Real time event effect creation
Effect creation, compositing, editing work of movies

Technical Artist
Duties: Tools development work for belonging projects
Tool development & support service used throughout the company

TL;DR with some speculation
Battle system
While we learned earlier that they were looking for someone to develop an action battle system, we now know they're going to incorporate some sort of character leveling/growth system.

World interaction
The game will have field and dungeon maps. Based on the fact that they're looking for people with experience with Maya (a 3D animation and modeling software), we can assume that the world interaction will be 3D-based (3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Xenoblade, etc.) rather than the traditional top-down perspective or a side scroller platformer (2D Zelda, 2D Mario, etc.) There is a possibility that this will be an open-world because Monolith Soft is specifically looking to cater to western tastes.

Scenario
This game appears to cover the fantasy and medieval genres. It was mentioned that the game will have online functionalities, but it also sounds like it'll be a single-player experience. They're looking for someone who has experience with movies and dramas. They want someone who can create a fully-realized world with a variety of cultures, languages, and industries.

It's interesting to note that they're looking for a scenario planner even though Tetsuya Takahashi himself was the scenario planner for all three Xenoblade titles. We haven't received confirmation from the man himself on whether he's working on the project or not--in addition to that, he's already thinking about the next Xenoblade title. My gut feeling is that they're looking for some young blood as part of Nintendo's initiative to create interesting new IPs.

The game will contain NPCs in towns along with side quests.

Characters
Monolith Soft is looking for someone who can create an appealing cast of main characters and oversee the art direction of the game. So...maybe no avatars or customizable characters? Another interesting thing to note is that they're looking for people who can design mechas?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
of course takahashi would still manage to shoe in mechas even if it was medieval-themed

bless that man

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. Happy to here about maybe the lack of avatar characters and maybe mecha. Hope they get the 00 Gundam guy again if so.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing here looks to be new, but I think you're reading too much into the mechs portion as it more reads like they want a modeler who can make anything. Everything else sounds pretty generic, outside of specific stuff like networking and action combat planner

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I heard somewhere that it wasn't sure if Takahashi was even involved with this (currently non-Xeno) project?

Nice info though. I hope they get some good UI/UX designers, since even Monolith admitted that that area suffered with XB2 due to staff losses and departures.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they might not be very far along if this is where they are in the hiring process, but this all sounds good to me.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer futuristic settings but as long as there are mechas I'm good with whatever!

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who absolutely loves Xenogears, these last few Takahashi games do nothing for me, focusing on open world and bloat of "content" over the more story-focused gears and saga games.

Anyone know what happened?

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One day Takahashi will make a game that won't have mechahahahahahahahahah
I couldn't complete that thought without laughing.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who absolutely loves Xenogears, these last few Takahashi games do nothing for me, focusing on open world and bloat of "content" over the more story-focused gears and saga games.

Anyone know what happened?
I don't know how Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 focus on open world bloat over story ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lemme get just this out of the way

latest

900x.jpg

stop doing this

just stop

please stop

i'd really love to want to buy your next game guys

Mr.Gamerson

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this New IP stuff continues. I think all of Nintendo's major development studios should all release at least one new IP this gen. I say strike now while the iron is hot because Nintendo's next system might need to rely on Nintendo IP even more so than the Switch.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I heard somewhere that it wasn't sure if Takahashi was even involved with this (currently non-Xeno) project?

I suspect that while Monolith Soft as a whole is working on the new IP, Takahashi is going to step away and focus his efforts on planning the next Xenoblade title. Then again, he may be involved. He hasn't confirmed it either way yet.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like they might not be very far along if this is where they are in the hiring process, but this all sounds good to me.

Keep in mind the site was updated a while ago. I don't know when, but I think it happened some time between August 2017 until February 2018.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
3D model? Definitely not Baten Kaitos 3 FFS!!!