• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when do you guys expect to see a reveal teaser for this game, January direct? E3 2019? E3 2018?

Personally i think E3 2018 is too soon for a teaser since it seems they just began hiring for the project in August of last year. I expect it at E3 2019. I just want to know if Takahashi is directing it or not, because if not, then that probably means Monolith Soft has probably become two teams now

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
latest
It's very Baten Kaitos, but a bit over the top.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
giphy.gif

I mean, X has a good map and they definitely know how to create impressive scenery, but that sounds a bit... radical.

Given that Monolith Soft has been responsible for 2 of the most impressive open worlds of the last decade (XCX and BotW) and 2 of the best Faux-pen Worlds in XC and XC2 i'm pretty confident in heaping that level of praise

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
look at Xenoblade X's reception. remember the game's story was diminished to make way for the online and create-a-character. this game will probably follow in X's footsteps

In the case of Xenoblade Chronicles X, the decision to focus on online elements over the story they originally envisioned happened partway through development. If they go into their new game wanting to make online elements a prominent focus from day one, they should be able to strike a better balance.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
That's just because Citan refused to use his sword! Dude knew pulling out that blade would make the game into easy mode.
24-doubleagent28.jpg

Shit just got real.

!!!!! I rarely ever see Scrapped Princess referenced. Love that show.

That said I'm certainly down for Escaflowne style mechs. Just give me mecha of any kind!!!
Yeah, Scrapped Princess was a great show!
The only thing I could have done without was the short amnesia set of episodes since I always felt that Pacifica wouldn't have wanted them to keep her like that and they should have known that. Otherwise it was a great show

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Xenoblade Chronicles X, the decision to focus on online elements over the story they originally envisioned happened partway through development. If they go into their new game wanting to make online elements a prominent focus from day one, they should be able to strike a better balance.
As long as they dont use the same writers as Xenoblade 2. Hell, I'm hoping the game isn't executive directed by Takahashi

I always found it funny how the two designs people hated the most (Nim and Dahlia/Rabbit Lady) were actually created by women.
Women are allowed to make terrible designs too

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So when do you guys expect to see a reveal teaser for this game, January direct? E3 2019? E3 2018?

Personally i think E3 2018 is too soon for a teaser since it seems they just began hiring for the project in August of last year. I expect it at E3 2019. I just want to know if Takahashi is directing it or not, because if not, then that probably means Monolith Soft has probably become two teams now

Teaser in 19 maybe, game in 2020 is my guess.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

They are still hiring, so they probably don't have a full team yet. I'd say 2019 we might start hearing more details on it with an actual announcement.

TheBuschMan94

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Damn...read the title wrong and though maybe a new monolith productions game. I could go for a new atmospheric action fps game.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how many employees Monolith Soft has gained over the past 2 or so years.

Before they were 109 employees (across both main and support studios?) Now they're at 163, at least, that's what someone told me

Now keep in mind that they were at 109 in June 2016, around the mid point of development for Xenoblade 2. Now less than a year into their next project they're at 163 and still hiring.

Are they really growing that fast (both studios)? Or is it the fluctuation of game development because of employee contractors, and inflate and deflate during certain parts of development from those contractors being hired and leaving after the job is done? Like for preproduction/early development which their new project falls under?

It seems like a bit too much to be just the inflated part of development. I think they've actually grown quite a lot recently (both studios together)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Xenoblade X is the foundation for this new IP. Disregarding the genre, both projects seemingly share many similarities so far. I think the new IP will replace Xenoblade X altogether. This would effectively make Xenoblade a story-driven series while the new IP will be a gameplay/multiplayer series.

That being said, this would put Xenoblade X in a awkward situation. There are two possible scenarios: Monolith Soft will either ditch the X universe entirely, or they will somehow tie it into the numbered Xenoblade titles.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm becoming more and more convinced that Xenoblade X is the foundation for this new IP. Disregarding the genre, both projects seemingly share many similarities so far. I think the new IP will replace Xenoblade X altogether. This would effectively make Xenoblade a story-driven series while the new IP will be a gameplay/multiplayer series.

That being said, this would put Xenoblade X in a awkward situation. There are two possible scenarios: Monolith Soft will either ditch the X universe entirely, or they will somehow tie it into the numbered Xenoblade titles.
I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. X tips hard into the Sci-Fi side of the genre slider while this appears to be tipping hard into the fantasy side. All of the art they've shown looks nothing like any of the existing Xenoblade titles. Nor is there any indication that it will be gameplay and world-exploration focused with minimal story and characters.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. X tips hard into the Sci-Fi side of the genre slider while this appears to be tipping hard into the fantasy side. All of the art they've shown looks nothing like any of the existing Xenoblade titles. Nor is there any indication that it will be gameplay and world-exploration focused with minimal story and characters.

I'm not talking about the genre or the overall appearance. I'm more talking about the gameplay side of things. Almost everything about this project is what X achieved or tried to achieve.

-Online functionality
-Action battle system. Takahashi said that they were trying to move toward a more action-based system for X. Now they can actually implement one for the new IP.
-Sidequests
-NPCs in towns
-Mechas
-Possible fully open world map. X is the only one in the Xenoblade series to do this. Monolith Soft may decide to keep Xenoblade more story focus with large exploration maps while the new IP can focus on a true open world.

I hope this clears it up for you.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the genre or the overall appearance. I'm more talking about the gameplay side of things. Almost everything about this project is what X achieved or tried to achieve.

-Online functionality
-Action battle system. Takahashi said that they were trying to move toward a more action-based system for X. Now they can actually implement one for the new IP.
-Sidequests
-NPCs in towns
-Mechas
-Possible fully open world map. X is the only one in the Xenoblade series to do this. Monolith Soft may decide to keep Xenoblade more story focus with large exploration maps while the new IP can focus on a true open world.

I still dont think there will be mechs and the job posting was merely describing the range of abilities they were looking for

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-Online functionality
-Sidequests
-NPCs in towns
-Mechas

Eh. I don't think it will be anything like XCX.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Momo You are jumping to conclusions there. Although it's true we can't be sure that Mira will be revisited, it's too early to think that a new IP we barely know anything about could replace X. It was pointed out that the setting/genre seems to be completely different, and Takahashi has been trying to make an space opera for so long that I doubt he'll ditch all the lore he wrote for X's universe. Kojima seems to love the genre too (and he's probably one of the guys pushing for "western sensibilities" at the company).

Devs usually iterate on the same systems/ideas in different projects. "Sidequests", "NPCs in towns" and "Mechas" are things you'll probably find in the majority of their games in the future, so they don't really tell us anything of substance about the project. Online functionality is nothing easy to implement - and the way they did it in X was probably limited in comparison to what they wanted to achieve - but they have a foundation now and they'll probably improve it in their next games. Action is something they've been trying already in things like Disaster.

If this project potentially replaced the X sub-series, not even Monolith knows at this moment. Although it would be fun if at the end of the medieval tale you're told that humanity appeared in this world hundreds of years ago after a war/experiment. They've only done it a few times.

It won't. X was a failure. Making the game like X would be hustling backwards.

May I ask how do you determine it was a failure?

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Momo You are jumping to conclusions there. Although it's true we can't be sure that Mira will be revisited, it's too early to think that a new IP we barely know anything about could replace X. It was pointed out that the setting/genre seems to be completely different, and Takahashi has been trying to make an space opera for so long that I doubt he'll ditch all the lore he wrote for X's universe. Kojima seems to love the genre too (and he's probably one of the guys pushing for "western sensibilities" at the company).

Devs usually iterate on the same systems/ideas in different projects. "Sidequests", "NPCs in towns" and "Mechas" are things you'll probably find in the majority of their games in the future, so they don't really tell us anything of substance about the project. Online functionality is nothing easy to implement - and the way they did it in X was probably limited in comparison to what they wanted to achieve - but they have a foundation now and they'll probably improve it in their next games. Action is something they've been trying already in things like Disaster.

If this project potentially replaced the X sub-series, not even Monolith knows at this moment. Although it would be fun if at the end of the medieval tale you're told that humanity appeared in this world hundreds of years ago after a war/experiment. They've only done it a few times.

May I ask how do you determine it was a failure?

It didn't have commercial success and is the least liked Blade game on this forum going by the poll votes. X is the equivalent of Xenosaga 2.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Wrong thread

OT: Game sounds interesting though I also agree that it probably isn't X (though I really still want a port of that game as well as a sequel).

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't have commercial success and is the least liked Blade game on this forum going by the poll votes. X is the equivalent of Xenosaga 2.

The Xeno series is full of titles that didn't achieve commercial success though. The game sold decently, and on a considerable smaller installed base.

The poll must be really representative for you to call it a "failure" I guess. That's as good an argument as saying that because it got a higher metascore it's undoubtedly a better game than XC2 and all the Xenosaga titles.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The Xeno series is full of titles that didn't achieve commercial success though. The game sold decently, and on a considerable smaller installed base.

The poll must be really representative for you to call it a "failure" I guess. That's as good an argument as saying that because it got a higher metascore it's undoubtedly a better game than XC2 and all the Xenosaga titles.

Not really. I value the Xeno fanbase's opinion on this site of a Xeno game over the average review scores of journalists.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I just have a gut feeling that putting too much emphasis on the previously revealed promotional artwork may be misguided. A game can radically change when compared to initial images, especially of the nature of these. I wouldn't be surprised at all if whenever this game is finally revealed, it looks markedly different than what people were expecting it to.

Remember, if Takahashi is involved in this, he's going to do whatever he wants. He wanted Sawano as the composer for XCX and he got him, and he wanted Saito as the main character designer and he got him as well. It'll be interesting to see what influences his decision making for his next project.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017

Monolith Soft's latest and top selling game followed up a game that was commercially unimpressive. This shouldn't be used as a basis to rule out anything. As was the case with Xenoblade Chronicles, there were extenuating circumstances that led to Xenoblade Chronicles X selling the way that it did.