• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Wow at comparing XCX with XS2. I really wonder if those complaining about this game actually played it...
I'm not talking about the genre or the overall appearance. I'm more talking about the gameplay side of things. Almost everything about this project is what X achieved or tried to achieve.

-Online functionality
-Action battle system. Takahashi said that they were trying to move toward a more action-based system for X. Now they can actually implement one for the new IP.
-Sidequests
-NPCs in towns
-Mechas
-Possible fully open world map. X is the only one in the Xenoblade series to do this. Monolith Soft may decide to keep Xenoblade more story focus with large exploration maps while the new IP can focus on a true open world.

I hope this clears it up for you.

X wasn't a failure. Like at all.

The console that it was released on was a failure. It was the Wii U that greatly hampered its sales potential.
I completely agree with you for what it's worth. Not sure if something is getting lost in translation or something, but it seems there's some misunderstanding where some posters think you mean it'll be XCX2.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Momo You are jumping to conclusions there. Although it's true we can't be sure that Mira will be revisited, it's too early to think that a new IP we barely know anything about could replace X. It was pointed out that the setting/genre seems to be completely different, and Takahashi has been trying to make an space opera for so long that I doubt he'll ditch all the lore he wrote for X's universe. Kojima seems to love the genre too (and he's probably one of the guys pushing for "western sensibilities" at the company).

Devs usually iterate on the same systems/ideas in different projects. "Sidequests", "NPCs in towns" and "Mechas" are things you'll probably find in the majority of their games in the future, so they don't really tell us anything of substance about the project. Online functionality is nothing easy to implement - and the way they did it in X was probably limited in comparison to what they wanted to achieve - but they have a foundation now and they'll probably improve it in their next games. Action is something they've been trying already in things like Disaster.

If this project potentially replaced the X sub-series, not even Monolith knows at this moment. Although it would be fun if at the end of the medieval tale you're told that humanity appeared in this world hundreds of years ago after a war/experiment. They've only done it a few times.

Just know that I'm not completely sold on the idea. Not 100% advocating the idea, I'm more thinking of it as a hypothetical situation. After all, there simply isn't enough information.

I think I'm not getting my point across clearly enough. Sorry, I'm not really good with English! I'll try rewording it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may ditch the open world/mission-based story structure from X in favor of the new IP. The new IP will have no connections to any of the Xeno titles. Just a brand new concept, period. At the same time, they can somehow merge the X universe into the numbered Xenoblade series. Basically, any future entries in the X series will incorporate a strong plot with heavy philosophical themes, but will no longer have online functionalities, a mission-based story structure, avatar character, etc.

We will someday return to a sci-fi focused Xenoblade title (X, duh!) if Takahashi's desire to switch up genres in between Xeno titles still rings true.

Again, this is just me speaking hypothetically.

Reki

Oct 25, 2017
Just know that I'm not completely sold on the idea. Not 100% advocating the idea, I'm more thinking of it as a hypothetical situation. After all, there simply isn't enough information.

I think I'm not getting my point across clearly enough. Sorry, I'm not really good with English! I'll try rewording it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that they may ditch the open world/mission-based story structure from X in favor of the new IP. The new IP will have no connections to any of the Xeno titles. Just a brand new concept, period. At the same time, they can somehow merge the X universe into the numbered Xenoblade series. Basically, any future entries in the X series will incorporate a strong plot with heavy philosophical themes, but will no longer have online functionalities, a mission-based story structure, avatar character, etc.

We will someday return to a sci-fi focused Xenoblade title (X, duh!) if Takahashi's desire to switch up genres in between Xeno titles still rings true.

Again, this is just me speaking hypothetically.

My bad then, the "replace X" part caught my attention and I kind of misunderstood the whole point.

Just speculating of course, but I agree that they could tie X with the numbered entries. The way they talk about the origins of Samaar and the singularities of Mira could have crazy explanations linking them to Klaus' experiment or something. The interesting point is, as you said, what will happen to the gameplay/structure, but I believe there's still space for two flavors of Xenoblade. Especially if they go full action with the new IP, which could be the factor that differentiates it from X.

Who knows though. I'll just like for them to take as much time as needed to ship a product with all the QoL stuff right there at launch.

Rahxephon91

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see why X can't just be a one off. It's not like it ended with "to be continued". It ended with the most non committal "hey I guess it's a loop, whatever" statement ever. There's really no need to revisit it or integrate it into the loosely connected XB games either.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please let's not compare Xenosaga 2 to XCX. Xenosaga was so boooooring. I fell asleep multiple times playing that game.

Nov 1, 2017
The people saying they won't buy the game because of X reason, in case you haven't figured it out yet: you don't matter. Monolith Soft is obviously still landing projects and is successful without you and I get to play more of their great games. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see why X can't just be a one off. It's not like it ended with "to be continued". It ended with the most non committal "hey I guess it's a loop, whatever" statement ever. There's really no need to revisit it or integrate it into the loosely connected XB games either.

Because Takahashi plainly stated that he wants to continue both the numbered and X series.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Because Takahashi plainly stated that he wants to continue both the numbered and X series.
Where ? I don't remember.

But then... why are you saying something would REPLACE X ?
Cant' they just release any game while also working then on basic ones and X ?
There could be one series + other games, or 2 series + other games, and so on.

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017

They are probably doing something like this. I imagine: XCX - XC2 - XCX port - New IP ->...

And the following step would be a sequel or something related to X depending on the success of the port or continuing with XC3. There is room for variety with "two types of Xenoblades" + the new IP. Maybe even an HD port of the first one.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome
ekahEBj.gif

RqHftd8.gif

F27tsFJ.gif

I'm ready.

Please yes. I'd be all over this, Monolith

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
They are probably doing something like this. I imagine: XCX - XC2 - XCX port - New IP ->...

And the following step would be a sequel or something related to X depending on the success of the port or continuing with XC3. There is room for variety with "two types of Xenoblades" + the new IP. Maybe even an HD port of the first one.
That's what I was thinking about too.
I even thought New IP and X could be switched if they were sure about continuing it (and if New IP was advanced enough).

ragnarok21

Nov 26, 2017
Hmm I think the new IP is at least Fall/Winter 2019 and the port will be used to fill some gaps early 2019 by looking at 2018. They may not announce it at the E3 if they want to focus the fanbase on the DLCs of Xenoblade 2 and later on bring the port.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017

Huh? Maybe I misremembered... I couldn't find a quote online. I could've sworn Takahashi said something about making more entries in each sub-series? I'll do a thorough research later today and let you know.

It sounds crazy to juggle between 3 series, but I guess it's doable with how efficient Monolith Soft is. Again, I said before that it's an idea. I don't actually think it will happen, but it's something that can happen.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Huh? Maybe I misremembered... I couldn't find a quote online. I could've sworn Takahashi said something about making more entries in each sub-series? I'll do a thorough research later today and let you know.

It sounds crazy to juggle between 3 series, but I guess it's doable with how efficient Monolith Soft is. Again, I said before that it's an idea. I don't actually think it will happen, but it's something that can happen.
Is it really ?

I mean, when you compare Xenoblade 1 with 2 you can almost put them in different series as X is already its own and they don't even feel that similar beside being more story focused.
So yeah it would be hard to 3 different types of games if they had to release each type soon enough. But if they were ok with years inbetween... and if they had enough people to work on 1,5/2 series at the same time, or more or less overlapping, why not.

But that's just my thought on it. And I guess it's also driven by what I'd want because I would be severely disappointed if we'd only get "Xenoblade 2-like" games, even if the gameplay was good for me in a new one. I'll just miss their special "serious/mature" Monolith tone which is so special.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Monolithsoft

Sorry for the late response, but it's better late than never! It appears that I did, in fact, misremember. This is everything Takahashi said prior to the reveal of Xenoblade 2.

While Xenoblade Chronicles was a true story-driven JRPG, we took a rather different approach with Xenoblade Chronicles X. You could say it doesn't really feel like a typical JRPG: what really sets it apart from other JRPGs is that the game world - the planet Mira - is really vast. I've heard that some Japanese users who played Xenoblade Chronicles X said they enjoyed a more story-driven type of game. So if we have the opportunity to make another game in the series, I'd like to made another typical JRPG-style game like Xenoblade Chronicles again.
Source

I imagine a large part of the appeal is in this being the first open-world RPG from Japan. I also think it's really meaningful that this is a middle tier title, rather than a AAA title. The Xenoblade series has always had a different genre for each game, with the previous game being fantasy, and now turning to science fiction. I hope we will be able to continue the series like this, exploring lots of different settings, rather than being confined to a specific genre.
Source

"The design focus for this game was on map exploration and character builds during battle," says Takahashi. "We deliberately distanced ourselves from having philosophical themes intertwined with the core of the story. Given that we at Monolith Soft had no experience with developing HD titles, our goal with this project was to experiment with and implement the assorted tech skills we needed for HD game development. We decided that trying to balance that with an epic theme-laden story would pose difficulties. Our hope is that we can start by creating the core system, then expand on the story and thematic elements in our future project."
Source

I think it was the second quote that confused me. We could possibly go back to the heavy sci-fi direction of X, but it may or may not take place in the same universe.

The only evidence for an X sequel is the post credit scene and the ending message: "The story never truly ends."

It's impossible to predict where they'll go next.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
Since Square is such a shit show these days, MS is my favorite developer. Cannot wait to see their next project

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Didn't they say the new project would be different from the "brand image of monolith soft"

I kinda hope that means a whole new gameplay style or even like a cross between BOTW and maybe even monster hunter style gameplay.

OP
OP
Momo

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say the new project would be different from the "brand image of monolith soft"

I kinda hope that means a whole new gameplay style or even like a cross between BOTW and maybe even monster hunter style gameplay.

It won't be a Xeno (and Xenoblade by association) title, that's for sure.

They're looking for programmers and battle planners, specifically those with experience in action games and responsive combat.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Xenosaga 2 is better than X.

That's how bad I found X and I HATED that combat system with a passion. At least the story and overall gameplay outside of combat was fun.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Did they feel Nopons just couldn't be in their new project because... that's it lol. Or is the "Xenoblade" title couldn't be used for the story/background at all.

Anyway now I'm at a point where I just wish for games I can enjoy because Xenoblade2 really destroyed my enjoyment. So I'm not expecting amything specific anymore from them.

Xenosaga 2 is better than X.

That's how bad I found X and I HATED that combat system with a passion. At least the story and overall gameplay outside of combat was fun.
That's what I feel about Xenoblade 2 minus gameplay.

TheGreatLugia

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the translated interview with Tetsuya Takahashi and Katsura Hashino, and it sounds like this might be Takahashi's next project: http://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/denfaminicogamer.html?m=1

Eguchi: Hashino- san, you are trying to make a mainstream fantasy RPG right now. The RPGs that Takahashi-san has made are science fiction, but in a way, they're also fantasy. Takahashi-san, is there any advice that you would give to Hashino-san?

Takahashi: I'm not in any position to give any advice to anyone. (laughs) But when I saw that Hashino-san was going to make a hardcore fantasy game, I thought the timing was fascinating.

Hashino: When you say timing, do you mean because fantasy isn't exactly a hot seller right now? (laughs) I get told that all the time.

Takahashi: I'm still a gamer, and I was thinking about wanting to make a hardcore fantasy game. My games are fake. Fake fantasy, fake sci-fi.

I look at other games out there, and it's too fuzzy; not what I want to do. So, when I saw that announcement, I thought, "He beat me to it!"

Hashino: Oops. (laughs) I'm very weary of my abilities to make something that will ever compare to what Takahashi-san is envisioning.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Him talking about how he wants to make it "hardcore fantasy" kind of indicates that the mechs might not be for this game after all.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I just read the translated interview with Tetsuya Takahashi and Katsura Hashino, and it sounds like this might be Takahashi's next project: http://xenogearsxenosagastudyguide.blogspot.com/p/denfaminicogamer.html?m=1
Interesting!
Him talking about how he wants to make it "hardcore fantasy" kind of indicates that the mechs might not be for this game after all.
I was going to say "nah it'll be like Xenogears", but yeah, that quote about how all of his games are fake fantasy/sci-fi, it really sounds like he wants pure fantasy.

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
Just as long as it's not too anime inspired when it comes to the designs of the characters, then i'm totally in for this.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And the game's designs are incredibly unappealing to a large audience that would have otherwise been interested in the game.
I mean, how large of an audience are we talking here, its past 1 million and even has potential to reach 2 million and its showing legs which is rare for a jrpg, infact its rare for a jrpg to reach a million at all

Hentz

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
I would die for a Xenoblade Chronicles HD on Switch, I would prefer it over XCX port.

snazzums

Nov 22, 2017
And the game's designs are incredibly unappealing to a large audience that would have otherwise been interested in the game.
It sold a million units. Best selling title in the series. The numbers don't lie. People love their anime waifus.

1. Super Mario Odyssey – 10.41 million
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9.22 million
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 8.48 million
  4. Splatoon 2 – 6.02 million
  5. 1-2-Switch – 2.29 million
  6. ARMS – 1.85 million
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 1.31 million
  8. Kirby: Star Allies – 1.29 million

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It sold a million units. Best selling title in the series. The numbers don't lie. People love their anime waifus.

1. Super Mario Odyssey – 10.41 million
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 9.22 million
  3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 8.48 million
  4. Splatoon 2 – 6.02 million
  5. 1-2-Switch – 2.29 million
  6. ARMS – 1.85 million
  7. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 – 1.31 million
  8. Kirby: Star Allies – 1.29 million

It's the first game in the series to come out on relevant hardware with no retailer or region-exclusive shenanigans. It would've done just as well without the pandering nonsense.

Anyone think this could come out in 2019?

Exceedingly unlikely.