• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those who don't know, OpenMW is an open-source engine whose aim is to recreate all of Morrowind's features in a modern engine (the same thing as OpenRA). This engine is also compatible with many of the mods made for the vanilla game.

Here's a look at the latest version of OpenMW, which is running over 300 mods:

I have been really thinking about replaying Morrowind lately. The year 2021 might be it.

Transistor tagging you because I know you'll want to see this.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
OpenMW can't be oversold. It's literally going to mean Morrowind can continue to grow in ways we haven't even envisioned yet.

I'm so hype for the future of Morrowind.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Mighty tempted to check this out, but don't have time to install 300 mods, so will have to do something less ambitious. Morrowind is still one of my all time favorite games, but it has been over a decade since I last really dug into it.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
i don't think a different engine counts as 'morrowind with mods'...

OpenMW is not a "mod" to Morrowind. It is an entirely different game engine that does not use the original Morrowind.exe in any way.

looks cool though. i want to find time to play it

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Looks nice, but it seems like it'd be a huge pain to deal with installing all those mods and troubleshooting them to make sure everything is working. I'm sure there would be issues eventually after more patches/releases, as well.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
OpenMW is gonna be legendary when it comes out. I legit get giddy hyped when I think about the possibilities

It's been available since reveal and In-Parity with retail Morrowind for at least a year now - Reaching parity is just the Alpha. They intend to go Plus Ultra with future versions they're working on. Proper distant-lands support like Oblivion and Skyrim have, and of course, this...

movement1.gif

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Looks nice, but I don't think I'd trust any 100 hour video game with 300 mods to not fuck me over.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's been available since reveal and In-Parity with retail Morrowind for at least a year now - Reaching parity is just the Alpha. They intend to go Plus Ultra with future versions they're working on. Proper distant-lands support like Oblivion and Skyrim have, and of course, this...

movement1.gif
Yeah but I'm waiting on the non alpha stuff haha. God I can't wait to see the 1.0 release

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How long does it take to install 300 mods in Morrowind?

It took me almost an hour just to install 20 mods in New Vegas lol

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
I've only played around 20 hours of Morrowind across 6-7 different attempts dating back to 2004, but what I will still say to this day is it is an atmosphere all to its own and so far and away Bethesda's best world and art design that it's an absolute tragedy the environmental magic on display in that game was completely lost in their subsequent games.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
I won't go down this road again... I won't go down this road again... I won't go down this road again...

Please spruce this one up Bethesda, I beg of you.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they forgot the mod to remove those goddamn cliff racers. Ugh.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
For a moment I thought you were referring to the MGE XE mod which looked great the last time I used it around 7 years ago but not that great. Now although the OpenMW does look great I would not call what you are talking about a mod. That's definitely a remake.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
It's been cool to see OpenMW progress over the years, hopefully they'll get to some sort of stable release soon. Wouldn't exactly call it current gen looking though.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
I've reached the end twice but never finished it. Maybe this will get me there. Maybe.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I remember being a snot-nosed kid with a shiny new thrice handed down Xbox purchasing this game with half of my first paycheck.

I hated it. I thought it was hideous and wanted something that looked like Final Fantasy X. Stopped playing after 2 hours.

A decade and a half later, it may be time to actually give this game a proper try now that I am firmly a member of the cRPG-lovers club.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Looks good, but close to current gen, not really close. There are still things like material quality/layers, mid-poly models, lack of dynamics and other game engine limitations that have been eliminated for a long time. 2010 maybe, but not now.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to give it a shot but I'm sadly not gonna look at it unless it's an all-in-one download/installation. The days of fiddling with load orders and compatibility patches have since been long past

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. Morrowind has been the only Bethesda game that ive truly enjoyed playing.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
This looks incredible. Makes me want to see how Ray Tracing could bump it up even further.

Nov 3, 2017
Haha my record is 190 Mods with a STEP project installation of Skyrim, though I think I had a 110+ Mod installation of Morrowind not long ago.

Looks good! Here`s hoping for a full release.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see a video like this where the camera is creeping along at a super slow pace I can't help but think that's because anything faster results in the framerate completely tanking due to the ancient engine collapsing from an overload of mods.

Personally I would prefer to see a normal gameplay trailer.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know about OpenMW, and been somewhat keeping up with Skywind from TES project but thats taking much longer than expected

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Every time I see a video like this where the camera is creeping along at a super slow pace I can't help but think that's because anything faster results in the framerate completely tanking due to the ancient engine collapsing from an overload of mods.

Personally I would prefer to see a normal gameplay trailer.
It's optimized. It's also not an ancient engine. This is an engine newly created pulling assets from Morrowind files, but not using the Bethesda engine at all.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's optimized. It's also not an ancient engine. This is an engine newly created pulling assets from Morrowind files, but not using the Bethesda engine at all.

I know but after seeing years of similar videos for every Bethesda game it's just the automatic feeling I get as soon as I see any trailer comprised of super slow panning landscape shots without normal gameplay.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty incredible effort that I respect a lot. Wish more games would get an open version. But I'm still playing vanilla!

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
While that does look nice, it absolutely does not look even near current gen at all to me. It looks like a last gen game running on PC. Still impressive to get such an old game to look like that, but that's still a hell of a lot of requirements. Might even take longer to install and troubleshoot the mods than it would to finish the game normally (without using the shortcuts to beat it in under twenty minutes).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I know but after seeing years of similar videos for every Bethesda game it's just the automatic feeling I get as soon as I see any trailer comprised of super slow panning landscape shots without normal gameplay.
Well, it's because if they show Morrowind gameplay people will 180 away lol.

That's where OpenMW potential lies though! Combat and animations can be fully redone - which is antithetical to most fans, but for 'accessibility' of new players I can see the merit. Also Morrowind combat isn't the pinnacle of how a system like that could be used, so improving on it and wrapping it in the warm blanket of the Morrowind world would be an awesome variance.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That is seriously impressive. Morrowind is still my favourite TES game and I would gladly pay 60€ for a proper remake.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Although I don't think it's currently supported for OpenMW, both Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel are creating sequel quality level of content for Morrowind since Bethesda is never gonna make an actual sequel to the game.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I remember being a snot-nosed kid with a shiny new thrice handed down Xbox purchasing this game with half of my first paycheck.

I hated it. I thought it was hideous and wanted something that looked like Final Fantasy X. Stopped playing after 2 hours.

A decade and a half later, it may be time to actually give this game a proper try now that I am firmly a member of the cRPG-lovers club.
Oh man, Morrowind is so good. It's also unforgiving as hell: a player who doesn't know what he's doing can get stranded in the wilderness, low on health, diseased and surrounded by stronger enemies.

That same player can also become an unstoppable godslayer of legend, able to extinguish mortal life with a mere blink of an eye.

Sometimes, the two aren't even mutually exclusive.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
"Morrowind can almost look current-gen."

As long as you don't show any character.

I love Morrowind but let's face it, there's only so much you can do to make the NPC's decent.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I won't go down this road again... I won't go down this road again... I won't go down this road again...

Please spruce this one up Bethesda, I beg of you.
Todd Howard has heard you loud and clear. Horse armor is now available for Striders, purchaseable in the eShop!

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Beautiful surroundings to spend the first 20-30 minutes of game time missing attacks on mudcrabs. 😄

Love this game.