• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
'Beetle Bailey' creator Mort Walker, 94, created laughter 'nearly every day of his life'

lQLzVFp.jpg

He sold his first cartoon by age 12, as a Kansas City fifth-grader. He published more than 100 cartoons in magazines while still a teenager, and sold a comic strip to the Kansas City Journal. Soon, he was working for the company that would become Hallmark, and he told his bosses that they needed to provide humorous cards. They listened. "I helped change the industry," Walker told me of his gravitational pull toward writing funny.

He was drafted into the Army Air Corps during World War II, but within the world of Walker, even that sometimes turned comically absurd. He spent time at Camp Crowder, which he said inspired "Beetle Bailey's" Camp Swampy. "I signed up to go into psychiatry," he told me in 2013 of the Army's specialized training program, "and I ended up studying engineering. It was typical Army reasoning."

Walker created or co-created such globally popular strips as "Beetle Bailey" and "Hi and Lois," as well as "Boner's Ark" and "Sam's Strip." His work was visually clean and narratively quick, with deft setups and clear targets. He loved wordplay and pratfalls, but mostly, he knew his comic strips needed funny people you could relate to on some level.

And maybe that was the greatest comic gift of Mort Walker, who died Saturday morning at his Stamford, Conn., home after battling pneumonia, according to the National Cartoonists Society. He was 94, and still active in the comics industry.

Source: WaPo

Quite an interesting life he led. His comic was always one of the few I read in the Sunday paper. RIP to a tremendous artist and WWII vet.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Legendary cartoonist. RIP and congratulations on such a long and well spent life.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
beetle bailey is a heck of a strip. It wasn't the first one I would go to in the comics section, but it was definitely top 5. he was a legend.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time, but this brought back fantastic memories of reading the comics with my grandparents as a kid. I hadn't thought of that strip in a while, but I used to love it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
R.I.P to a great creator.

Wonder if the series will continue on like too many other legacy strips.

Feichaw

Oct 27, 2017
I think I still have some Beetle Bailey comics here. They were a big part of my childhood.

RIP

Last edited:

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RIP, dude's a legend in the world of comics :(

I have his book/autobiography, it's a really good read.

H28PnQS.jpg

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A legend indeed. I miss waiting for my father to finish the paper so I could grab the funnies.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
So dad. He was an amazing man and loved his fans. Up to the very end he would respond to fan letters and send back personalized drawings with his autograph. He will be missed.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
He's a legend. I always got really uncomfortable when Sarge would beat the shit out of Beetle though

Superior officers really assaulting lower ranks in the army? That a thing? Or is it just a comic strip where dogs can wear army outfits and such

Were women ever allowed to join the army in the strip or was Miss Buxley the closest it ever came?

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That's a big loss for Walker-Browne Amalgamated Humor Industries, LLC. I'm glad he was able to live a long full life.

I liked Beetle Bailey enough as a kid, but it's more interesting as a piece of 1950's culture and humor continuing unchanged into the current era, like a fly in amber.

He's a legend. I always got really uncomfortable when Sarge would beat the shit out of Beetle though

Superior officers really assaulting lower ranks in the army? That a thing? Or is it just a comic strip where dogs can wear army outfits and such

Yeah, sure, but officers wouldn't physically assault an enlisted person. That's an NCO thing. Not sure how common it was way back when, but on rare occasions, "Blast Fence Counseling" (as we referred to it) would happen.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I've read thousands of his strips over the years. My uncle had boxes and boxes of the collected comics with mostly Walker's and Browne's work.